Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, there is the off the ball stuff which is very important, I think he's good at that and like you said probably one of the reasons he's picked. But I think an attacker should be able to influence on the ball as well, he just doesn't seem to be able to.

It feels like we're at a disadvantage on the ball when he's playing. 

Yeah I agree. But if a shame as seems quite likeable and works hard, so really want him to come good. Just misses that extra power and pace needed for the prem.

I thought that was a pretty good performance from a team still working things out.

Leicester had a lot of the ball in the first half but I didn’t feel like we were going to be split apart time and time again, as has been the case in the past. 
Mara needs to develop his all round game but the kid has something and his finish was so cool and looked easy.

After the Leicester goal we were far and away the better team. Moved the ball, made space and built pressure instead of the snatching passes of the first half. We didn’t come off the gas late on either, which no doubt helped with the defending.

ABK is going to be a beast, plays hard and seems composed for a young CB. Lavia is class. 

The shape change worked well I thought. 4231/4222 seemed to give us what we needed and I hope we stick with it against United.

4 points from losing positions and some positive performances, hope this is the start of a brighter season.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

I thought that was a pretty good performance from a team still working things out.

Leicester had a lot of the ball in the first half but I didn’t feel like we were going to be split apart time and time again, as has been the case in the past. 
Mara needs to develop his all round game but the kid has something and his finish was so cool and looked easy.

After the Leicester goal we were far and away the better team. Moved the ball, made space and built pressure instead of the snatching passes of the first half. We didn’t come off the gas late on either, which no doubt helped with the defending.

ABK is going to be a beast, plays hard and seems composed for a young CB. Lavia is class. 

The shape change worked well I thought. 4231/4222 seemed to give us what we needed and I hope we stick with it against United.

4 points from losing positions and some positive performances, hope this is the start of a brighter season.

Shape was very fluid in the first half, this seemed to confuse Leicester a little. Was Lavia man marking Maddison?  Moi and Armstrong seemed to interchange and cover in front of Dejenpo, all very interesting but I think a sharper team than Leicester would have exploited the spaces more effectively.

Agree in general that first half I was worried about the rest of the season, felt like if the confidence crumbled it could be a hard season. Definitely held it together and even came back stronger after Leicester scored, which is an excellent sign.

Agree on ABK and Lavia both look like very good signings, as does Aribo and pretty good signs from Mara also.

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Fell asleep at half time, won was a pleasant surprise watching the second half.

pretty poor goal to concede, Salisu giving away a needless foul in a dangerous area.

we looked so much better after conceding, why it takes going behind to start playing both this week and last is a bit concerning.

thought Djenepo was good considering he was genuine left back, and how he defended when he first arrived.

4 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Fell asleep at half time, won was a pleasant surprise watching the second half.

pretty poor goal to concede, Salisu giving away a needless foul in a dangerous area.

we looked so much better after conceding, why it takes going behind to start playing both this week and last is a bit concerning.

thought Djenepo was good considering he was genuine left back, and how he defended when he first arrived.

Genuine question to all - are we taking it easier with the pressing in first halves now to try to conserve ourselves for the second? We used to blow ourselves out before half time, hence our terrible record for throwing away leads, but that seems to have changed

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Genuine question to all - are we taking it easier with the pressing in first halves now to try to conserve ourselves for the second? We used to blow ourselves out before half time, hence our terrible record for throwing away leads, but that seems to have changed

Maybe, I guess the problem with that is that we tend to play very deep first half inviting pressure, and having very little goal threat as is was almost looking a 4-4-1-1 with only Aribo and Mara seemingly in our attacking half

This also gives fans the impression that Ely and AArmstrong weren’t much good today, first half both did plenty of needed defensive work and filling of gaps whilst our opponents are attacking

• Like 9

9 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

Quite alot of positives out of that. Thought all the back 4 did well. Shakey moments of course, but Leicester have alot of good players so that is bound to happen. KWP is just ridiculous, I just love the way he dribbles forward, it's so smooth. I like Djenepo. We all know he isn't quite good enough, but he gives it absolutely everything he has. Of all our attacking players, he is the one I would have had last to filling in as a defender, yet he is the one who has put his hand up and got stuck in. He could easily have sulked from the bench.

Mara really looks like has something about him. I like signings like this. You can see exactly why we have taken a punt on him. Who knows how it will work out, but can see the logic behind it. It was the same with Salisu when he joined and now Bella-Kotchap. Which brings me to Moi, who is the opposite of that. I've never really been able to see those raw ingredients. For a player with supposed high technical ability, he scuffs the ball alot, and just doesn't ever really look that dangerous. 

Summed it up well.   Ticks to all the new signings - ABK and Lavia are gems who already look like players we will struggle to keep.   Bella-Kotchap and Salisu look  an outstanding pairing (in the making) with strength, athleticism and skill to justify playing four at the back most of the time.   Really don't need to see Bednarek in a Saints shirt again.

What a player KWP is.   His movement and poise made him a constant threat which compensated for a largely anonymous performance from Elyounoussi who strangely, played the whole game.  That's the only criticism I can make of Ralph today - he could have used a number of midfield or FB changes to add immediate improvement.    If Adams wasn't fully fit then fair enough to see him play off the bench - what a contribution - with that second scissors kick goal perfectly executed.

Mara showed glimpses; Djenepo was once again wholehearted and at times skilful; JWP and Lavia are not there yet as a combination and AA worked hard, did some good things and goals will come if he gets continued game time.

• Like 1

The most wonderful part of the afternoon was watching the faces of the Leicester ‘ultras’ next to our section as they left circa 88 minutes. They’d been revelling in the “Oh when the Saints go 9-0 down” chants all game so watching them slink away in near silence was sheer unadulterated joy….

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Great win. Some top performances ABK, KWP, Che. 

Not sure there are many players who I've wanted to succeed more than Moussa. Always throws everything into the game (not always successfully), but it seems to be finally paying off! Can't say I would have thought it would be at left back i must admit...

I love the little step inside he always does which near enough beats his man every time. 

Forza Moussa

• Like 12

7 hours ago, MAY-Z said:

Maybe, I guess the problem with that is that we tend to play very deep first half inviting pressure, and having very little goal threat as is was almost looking a 4-4-1-1 with only Aribo and Mara seemingly in our attacking half

This also gives fans the impression that Ely and AArmstrong weren’t much good today, first half both did plenty of needed defensive work and filling of gaps whilst our opponents are attacking

I actually notice a few times in the first half that AA was tracking back excellently. He seemed to do great defensively….then be less convincing once he actually had the ball!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Losing to us on a frequent basis since that battering must make it very disappointing for them. Long may it continue. 

Well, yesterday was only our second win since the 9-0. They smashed us 4-1 last season and beat us in the semi-final of the FA Cup.

We were so sloppy in the first half. Not sure Ralph will like Mara's pressing, he seemed to just meander about when they had the ball. He needs to work on his hold up play too, very little stuck to him. 

I thought Leicester were good in the first half. Very calm in possession. Barnes gave KWP quite a few problems. I'm surprised BR didn't swap him with Perez to have a go at Djenepo. 

But Saints were a totally different side after going behind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Well the results might have been the other way round from what we might have expected, but I reckon every one of us on this forum would have been happy with 4 points from Leeds at home and Leicester away.

I think you’d have taken three from three if offered it before those games. Realistically I wouldn’t expect much from Spurs or Leicester away, so just beating Leeds and losing two would have been around a par score overall.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Well the results might have been the other way round from what we might have expected, but I reckon every one of us on this forum would have been happy with 4 points from Leeds at home and Leicester away.

Yep without knowing how the youngsters would settle I think most Saints fans would have taken 4 points from our first three games if offered. Catching teams like Leicester when they're suffering for one reason or another is a bonus but that's no discredit to our lads who dug in. Hopefully we have caught a United side out of sorts and can get at least a point from them too. 5 or 7 points from 4 games would make for a decent start... and I think we will only get better as players settle. 

I still maintain we will come out of the World Cup break flying, much like we did after the first lockdown. We seem to do well after breaks.

• Like 2

The new owners, new coaches and new players are beginning to have an impact. The Fightback Kids, the youngest team in the Premier League, are only going to get better. Of course, we still need the experience of Che Adams, who just turned 26 last month. 

Exciting times.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, SaintBitterne said:

Great win. Some top performances ABK, KWP, Che. 

Not sure there are many players who I've wanted to succeed more than Moussa. Always throws everything into the game (not always successfully), but it seems to be finally paying off! Can't say I would have thought it would be at left back i must admit...

I love the little step inside he always does which near enough beats his man every time. 

Forza Moussa

So happy he is getting more game time and showing he can play and be an asset.  Always thought some of our fans were harsh on him  constantly wanting to get rid of "bambi on ice". He has skill, pace and a never say die attitude! So happy Ralf has seen he's good attributes and is finding a space for the lad. He and the new young players are all showing they can handle and thrive in the prem.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

So happy he is getting more game time and showing he can play and be an asset.  Always thought some of our fans were harsh on him  constantly wanting to get rid of "bambi on ice". He has skill, pace and a never say die attitude! So happy Ralf has seen he's good attributes and is finding a space for the lad. He and the new young players are all showing they can handle and thrive in the prem.

Agree and his attitude and commitment playing as left back/left wing back cannot be questioned. However, I think we are missing out on what he could offer as a left sided attacker because he can go by players, cause panic and make things happen. I get that right now he is needed to fill in at full back but when either Perraud is fit or we get someone else in let's see what he offers further up the pitch because that is where we'll get the best out of him.

• Like 2

Their fans were an odd type I have to say. Half of them seem to spend the whole game gesturing 9 with their hands. But then all disappeared on about 80 minutes. Sang about saints not selling allocation but there was a load of empty seats in the home seats. Didn’t bother singing, the bloke with the drum just banged it half the time with no one joining in.  Drums have no business in a football stadium, if you can’t make any noise without one that’s your own problem.  All in all a very strange bunch. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Their fans were an odd type I have to say. Half of them seem to spend the whole game gesturing 9 with their hands. But then all disappeared on about 80 minutes. Sang about saints not selling allocation but there was a load of empty seats in the home seats. Didn’t bother singing, the bloke with the drum just banged it half the time with no one joining in.  Drums have no business in a football stadium, if you can’t make any noise without one that’s your own problem.  All in all a very strange bunch. 

For once I’ll have to defend not selling out an allocation, the train strike certainly ended any chance I had of getting there, regardless of me working. 

They are an odd bunch, you’d think they’d be fairly content with the last few years, maybe to an extent it’s got to the point where we were, albeit with more success, players heads turned and manager’s ideas failing to get across. 

• Like 2

Great to have a win at last but not a very entertaining match. Both clubs clearly unsettled and destabilised by the transfer window, Saints bedding in error prone youngsters and Leicester dazed by key departures and uncertainty of who else they might lose and need to replace this week. Things can only get better for both clubs.

Nice work from Che Adams sealed the points in a match mostly dominated by the Foxes but a new found confidence of our defence kept them at bay.

Bella-Kotchap & Djenepo get the plaudits but the Adams substitution made the difference. JWP seemed out of sorts but improved when we started moving forward in the last 20 minutes.  Ralph should move him forward as an attacking MF and leave the defending to Romeu & Lavia. Stuart Armstrong still well off the pace. The other Armstrong put in the effort but that seems to be all he has to offer. ME was all over the place and should have been hooked at HT. It was baffling that Ralph gave him the full 90, not sure what is going on there.

A win is a win and will do wonders for team morale but we need to get our passing game together before next weekend. At least they know each other now and the white shirts are also a clue!

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

The new owners, new coaches and new players are beginning to have an impact. The Fightback Kids, the youngest team in the Premier League, are only going to get better. Of course, we still need the experience of Che Adams, who just turned 26 last month. 

Exciting times.

Che is a good reason why clubs should have a focal point striker to lead the line. Look at Chelsea right now, blunt as you like and Leeds are bossing them with Rodrigo as their focal point. I really like Che, he may not be the most technically gifted or prolific finisher but he works his nuts off, leads the line well and has a good eye for a pass. 4 goal involvements in 2 games.

We'd be stupid to sell him and hopefully we don't. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Great to have a win at last but not a very entertaining match. Both clubs clearly unsettled and destabilised by the transfer window, Saints bedding in error prone youngsters and Leicester dazed by key departures and uncertainty of who else they might lose and need to replace this week. Things can only get better for both clubs.

Nice work from Che Adams sealed the points in a match mostly dominated by the Foxes but a new found confidence of our defence kept them at bay.

Bella-Kotchap & Djenepo get the plaudits but the Adams substitution made the difference. JWP seemed out of sorts but improved when we started moving forward in the last 20 minutes.  Ralph should move him forward as an attacking MF and leave the defending to Romeu & Lavia. Stuart Armstrong still well off the pace. The other Armstrong put in the effort but that seems to be all he has to offer. ME was all over the place and should have been hooked at HT. It was baffling that Ralph gave him the full 90, not sure what is going on there.

A win is a win and will do wonders for team morale but we need to get our passing game together before next weekend. At least they know each other now and the white shirts are also a clue!

Special Brew or White Lightning today Charlie? ;)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Be fair if we had beaten a team 9-0 we would be giving them as much stick as we could.

I don’t seem to recall our fans gesturing against Sunderland fans when we beat them 8-0 in the following years afterwards.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Their fans were an odd type I have to say. Half of them seem to spend the whole game gesturing 9 with their hands.

Not so impressive... Skate fans can gesture 11 with their hands.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Che is a good reason why clubs should have a focal point striker to lead the line. Look at Chelsea right now, blunt as you like and Leeds are bossing them with Rodrigo as their focal point. I really like Che, he may not be the most technically gifted or prolific finisher but he works his nuts off, leads the line well and has a good eye for a pass. 4 goal involvements in 2 games.

We'd be stupid to sell him and hopefully we don't. 

Target men may be coming back into fashion with Haaland and Nunez now at City and Liverpool

Some inspirational Brodgers quotes from over the years to get your Monday off to a good start!

‘I’m not arrogant enough to think that I will be in a job through anything,’ Rodgers said, after Liverpool’s 3-1 defeat at Palace.

‘Any manager will tell you, you have to win games and you have to get results. And especially after how we have been developing as a football club.

‘I’ve got a great communication line with the owners, and we are always open and honest with each other. But ultimately you have to get results, and you have to perform.

‘In my first year here, we maybe didn’t get the results but we were performing well.

‘Owners and directors, chairmen and chief executives, they have to see development on the field, and I think barring this period, our development has been very good and fast.

‘But there’s no doubt that as a manager you have to get results, and that will support you and give confidence to the owners.’

Now, where's that one about ambition?...............

JWP dropping into the space to deliver from 30 yards out is one of the most pleasing pieces of our play for me.

I vaguely remember MNF doing some analysis of De Bruyne doing similar for Manchester City a few years back.

It will lead to chances being created, with Adams central due to his physicality and JWP having one of the best deliveries in modern PL history. 

Hope we can see more of that,

• Like 2