Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Play like that first 70 mins against any other team at the minute and we’d be out of sight. 

Nah. We didn’t create much but we were generally solid in a way we haven’t been for a while. The free kick aside, how many times did Bazunu get properly tested? We kept them at arm’s length, stayed in the game and then picked them off by taking our chances. We definitely need to improve our creativity in the final third, but it was a pretty sound away performance. 

• Like 18

great win.

with so many new faces (players and coaching staff) i feel like everyone is still trying to get familiar with each other. I feel like we can only get better, but of course, we will have plenty of moments this season where we will look awful with such a young team - but the future feels bright and it's now.

5 new signees in the Starting XI today. 

Bella-Kotchap MoM for me.

Tactically Leicester fell apart. Rodgers made changes when they were up 1-0 - notably Vardy off. Once it went 1-1, they weren't set up to respond offensively.

Djenepo is really stepping up, helping the team, playing out of position. Will be nice when both Perraud and Tino are back fit.

Che showed his value. Everyone will focus on his second goal, which was undoubtedly was spectacular, but his smarts and positioning were just as impressive on the first goal - watching him pivot off his player,  finding the soft space in the defensive to take his goal.

Leicester actually played pretty well defensively... i kept waiting for them to make mistakes in the defensive 3rd for the first 60 minutes (hoping Mara could capitalize), but they played pretty sound, crisp passes, didn't put one bad foot forward (until the last 30 minutes of course)

i am not going to be displeased with 4 points in the first 3 matches (2 away games).

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 6

On 20/08/2022 at 17:16, Sheaf Saint said:

He had a minor knock and didn't have a full week of training, so wouldn't have played 90 mins anyway.

Seems like RH actually made the right decision to use him as an impact sub rather than start him. 

As long as he wasn't dropped that's the important thing. We've seen in the past Adams get randomly dropped after a good performance so I'm glad there was a valid reason this time.

Edited by Disco Stu

That was a great away showing. I didn't think the first half was too bad, a bit flat from both sides really. One thing that impressed me in the first half was our off the ball work, Leicester found it very hard to find space in open play. Whilst they had a lot of the ball, they didn't really threaten. 

I think that was our initial tactic, keep compact, nothing too crazy and give ourselves the chance to put our foot down a little later. The goal was obviously not planned, but again it wasn't the fault of open play or being carved open as such. Bazunu should getting a hand to that though, one to be very disappointed with.

That goal forced us onto the front foot though. Maybe we benefited slightly from Leicester retreating and trying to keep what they had as quickly as they did, but we did certainly turn it up a bit in the last 30 mins. We were much better on the ball, it was sticking up top and this made a huge difference. Adams provided a presence straight away, first goal was a bit scrappy but you can't take away the second - it was a quality instinctive finish. 

The standout good points are our character, a team so often known for throwing away positive positions has managed to do the opposite two weeks in a row. That doesn't scream of a bunch of players not playing for the manager. The options on the bench are now making an impact, as we have more quality throughout the squad. We also showed the flexibility in game to switch back to the 5, and that is another clear string to our bow. I can't fault Moussa's attitude or positivity, he doesn't moan or create a fuss he just gets on with it. You can tell he isn't a natural full back in any way, but he stuck to his job and he deserves credit for that.

Bad points were Elyounoussi. I hope we're still not considering a new contract for him. He is really not good enough. After a positive cameo last week, Armstrong was back to his ineffective and very weak self. He just couldn't impose himself and we struggled so much up front because of that. We were much better without him on the pitch.

You can still see the glaring hole in the side for a striker who is able to hold the ball up, bring others into play, offer some presence etc. Che can do that as we saw, but consistency is always a question mark over him - so having another powerful option is important in my opinion. We are also still lacking quality in those 10's. Aribo is class, you can tell that straight away, but we need to be moving the likes of Elyounoussi away from the squad imo - need better than him. The attacking third is high priority for me in the remaining 2 weeks of the window.

• Like 19
  • Confused 1

Have to say the kit looks much better with white shorts.

Sky sports gave Ely a 7 and Djeneppo a 6, WTF

If we could get in a quality attacker then we could be in for a reasonable season.

Could Djeneppos performance today save the club a chunk of cash to spend elsewhere.

Obviously bigger tests to come but at last we seem to have a team with some backbone.

• Like 3

Confidence is so important at this level. We lost it at the end of last season but with the last two results you can see some belief returning. Long may it continue.

With so many young untried signings there's no doubt it's a risk but if it pays off we could be in for exciting times again.

I have the feeling that SR are pretty astute with a realistic long term plan.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

great win.

with so many new faces (players and coaching staff) i feel like everyone is still trying to get familiar with each other. I feel like we can only get better, but of course, we will have plenty of moments this season where we will look awful with such a young team - but the future feels bright and it's now.

5 new signees in the Starting XI today. 

Bella-Kotchap MoM for me.

Tactically Leicester fell apart. Rodgers made changes when they were up 1-0 - notably Vardy off. Once it went 1-1, they weren't set up to respond offensively.

Djenepo is really stepping up, helping the team, playing out of position. Will be nice when both Perraud and Tino are back fit.

Che showed his value. Everyone will focus on his second goal, which was undoubtedly was spectacular, but his smarts and positioning were just as impressive on the first goal - watching him pivot off his player,  finding the soft space in the defensive to take his goal.

Leicester actually played pretty well defensively... i kept waiting for them to make mistakes in the defensive 3rd for the first 60 minutes (hoping Mara could capitalize), but they played pretty sound, crisp passes, didn't put one bad foot forward (until the last 30 minutes of course)

i am not going to be displeased with 4 points in the first 3 matches (2 away games).

No guarantees Perraud gets back in if Moussa keeps performing like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trousers said:

But there's two ways of looking at it... Either Ralph should have started with Adams or it was a tactical masterstroke leaving him on the bench and bringing him on to prove a point. Quite often players play better when they come on versus when they start. We could always give the manager the benefit of the doubt...

Che hadn't trained, and thus Ralph felt 30 minutes was about right.  Worked a treat.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Last season we gained 9 points in the whole season in games we fell behind in. 

We've got 4 points already from losing positions.

If that's the change these new signings bring then "Viva La Sport Republic".

yeah, nice to rescue some points rather than throw them away. Everyone feels good and hopefully confidence grows.

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Bad points were Elyounoussi. I hope we're still not considering a new contract for him. He is really not good enough. After a positive cameo last week, Armstrong was back to his ineffective and very weak self. He just couldn't impose himself and we struggled so much up front because of that. We were much better without him on the pitch.

Not sure Stuart Armstrong is firing either. Adding another ball player/attacking midfielder is still required IMO. You can never have too much creativity, quality... 

• Like 1

It does seem that we are a better team away from home, where we need to sit back and play on the counter.

Those home games against the lower half opposition really show the lack of creative spark. Hopefully that can be addressed before the window slams shut.

It has been a while since we've had multiple options to freshen things up and apply tactical tweaks or even significant changes - largely (but not solely) because we haven't had the depth to do it.

It has also been a while since we've felt any confidence that the coaching staff would a) recognize the need for those changes, b) implement them in a timely fashion, or c) implement them at all.

It really helps if we don't have to use our substitutions to rectify errors in selecting the starting lineup.

Ralph is looking like a much better coach for listening to those around him.

• Like 2

Great day out. Lavia Bella Aribo and Baz have all improved the first 11, and I reckon Mara will come good. When it all gels, and if we get a couple more in before the end of the window, we’ll rack up quite a few wins. 

Although Che nearly scoring a second half hat-trick off the bench, and then being sold to Everton four days later,  would be peak #Saintsy. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That was a great away showing. I didn't think the first half was too bad, a bit flat from both sides really. One thing that impressed me in the first half was our off the ball work, Leicester found it very hard to find space in open play. Whilst they had a lot of the ball, they didn't really threaten. 

I think that was our initial tactic, keep compact, nothing too crazy and give ourselves the chance to put our foot down a little later. The goal was obviously not planned, but again it wasn't the fault of open play or being carved open as such. Bazunu should getting a hand to that though, one to be very disappointed with.

That goal forced us onto the front foot though. Maybe we benefited slightly from Leicester retreating and trying to keep what they had as quickly as they did, but we did certainly turn it up a bit in the last 30 mins. We were much better on the ball, it was sticking up top and this made a huge difference. Adams provided a presence straight away, first goal was a bit scrappy but you can't take away the second - it was a quality instinctive finish. 

The standout good points are our character, a team so often known for throwing away positive positions has managed to do the opposite two weeks in a row. That doesn't scream of a bunch of players not playing for the manager. The options on the bench are now making an impact, as we have more quality throughout the squad. We also showed the flexibility in game to switch back to the 5, and that is another clear string to our bow. I can't fault Moussa's attitude or positivity, he doesn't moan or create a fuss he just gets on with it. You can tell he isn't a natural full back in any way, but he stuck to his job and he deserves credit for that.

You can still see the glaring hole in the side for a striker who is able to hold the ball up, bring others into play, offer some presence etc. Che can do that as we saw, but consistency is always a question mark over him - so having another powerful option is important in my opinion. We are also still lacking quality in those 10's. Aribo is class, you can tell that straight away, but we need to be moving the likes of Elyounoussi away from the squad imo - need better than him. The attacking third is high priority for me in the remaining 2 weeks of the window.

Agree with moving Elyounoussi, offers not alot and does alot of air traffic control waiving his arms around. Pleasing result and we seemed to get dirty with Leicester as they do to us .Nice to see.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 1-2 Saints - Match Thread
Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Can't stand Leicester, they think they are much better than they actually are.

They're in a place where their first XI is ok but some of their players want out and it's poisoning their atmosphere. Not to mention Vardy is on the decline, Kasper has left meaning they're putting their faith in Ward who isn't as good and injuries to the likes of Perriera aren't helping their cause. Also we 'sold' them a couple of lemons with Jannick and Ryan and their issues with FFP are hampering attempts to sign anyone. If they're not careful they could well be in a relegation battle this season. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers walked before the end of the season.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

from the leicester forum: 

We probably won't play a side as bad as that at home again this season. They were terrible but we were a complete shit show. 

Their forum is a barrel of laughs at the moment.

I do think they should be grateful of what they've achieved though. To win the league was incredible, to be in and around the Champions league places for 2 or 3 years was incredible for a club the size of Leicester. It was obvious they couldn't sustain it as it wasn't their true level, it's the same for us under the Koeman years - it's very difficult for clubs like us to sustain that without mega Saudi backers, so we often fall back to our true levels.

Their true level is bottom half of the PL, maybe flirting between the Championship every now and then. Their 'freak' success has given them idea's above their station, where they are now is pretty much par the course for Leicester.

• Like 4

The overriding positives of the first three matches of the season are the new signings. Usually, there's one, or two a window, who you can tell aren't quite at the required level straight away, a Clasie, a Juanmi, a Hoedt, a Carrillo, a Danso as examples. But, each of our first team signings this summer have certainly made our first 11 stronger. ABK and Lavia don't play like their respective ages. Bazunu and Mara, it's a bit more clear that they're at the early stages of their careers, but they also look like Premier League players and Aribo has brought some much needed quality to our attack. We desperately needed the new signings to add something to our team and they certainly have. Credit to the recruitment team and if this is down to the data driven analysis that Sport Republic/Ankersen reference a lot then I'm all for it. We can go back to the Mitchell days of feeling confident when a player does eventually leave us. Lets hope the next few weeks and incomings bring the same results.

Fortunately, nobody came in for Adams with a suitable offer given all the rumours that he's available. Can't sell him after this. Scored two today, unlucky not to get a third and player a part in our two goals last weekend as well. And some thought we'd be fortunate to get £20m for him.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The overriding positives of the first three matches of the season are the new signings. Usually, there's one, or two a window, who you can tell aren't quite at the required level straight away, a Clasie, a Juanmi, a Hoedt, a Carrillo, a Danso as examples. But, each of our first team signings this summer have certainly made our first 11 stronger. ABK and Lavia don't play like their respective ages. Bazunu and Mara, it's a bit more clear that they're at the early stages of their careers, but they also look like Premier League players and Aribo has brought some much needed quality to our attack. We desperately needed the new signings to add something to our team and they certainly have. Credit to the recruitment team and if this is down to the data driven analysis that Sport Republic/Ankersen reference a lot then I'm all for it. We can go back to the Mitchell days of feeling confident when a player does eventually leave us. Lets hope the next few weeks and incomings bring the same results.

Fortunately, nobody came in for Adams with a suitable offer given all the rumours that he's available. Can't sell him after this. Scored two today, unlucky not to get a third and player a part in our two goals last weekend as well. And some thought we'd be fortunate to get £20m for him.

Great Post thank you sir!

Can we stop pretending that a back 3 offers more defensive stability because clearly it doesn’t.

Excellent defensive display today, Bazunu, apart from the questionable free kick goal (great strike, shouldn’t have gone in). Lavia is so effective in that position, breaking up play and transitioning the ball and both ABK and Salisu looked genuinely unflappable.

KWP looked back to his marauding best and assured defensively and hats off to Djenepo who didn’t at all look like he deserved the criticism he gets defensively on todays display

The 4222 offers us more going forward, Mara looks a good player and Im not convinced he should of been pulled over Armstrong who didn’t look like he was up to it again today but Che changed the game today, Im absolutely astounded that we are looking to cut ties, he was the glue that held our attacks together when he came on

Lastly.. was interesting to see how the formations moved around today tactically, and was great seeing Ralph in discussions with his coaching staff. Looked like we started in a 4231 that moved into a 4321 in defence and we ended in a 4222 with Ely covering Djenepo

All in all a lot to love from today and long may it continue 

• Like 7

Is che seriously not being picked because he wants a new contact and we won’t open talks until the window shuts? Surely the message should be go out and prove why you deserve one then. He did today in spades, I know some people who don’t know much about football don’t rate him but he’s our best striker by a mile at the moment, low bar admittedly but until we sign 3 better why are we even considering selling him, if indeed we are at all and it’s not just his agent trying to pressure saints into a deal, which is quite likely 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is che seriously not being picked because he wants a new contact and we won’t open talks until the window shuts? Surely the message should be go out and prove why you deserve one then. He did today in spades, I know some people who don’t know much about football don’t rate him but he’s our best striker by a mile at the moment, low bar admittedly but until we sign 3 better why are we even considering selling him, if indeed we are at all and it’s not just his agent trying to pressure saints into a deal, which is quite likely 

I’d class Che as a forward, because he offers so much more than just goals, although he’s good for 10-12 goals a season in the prem too!

Legitimately I think he might be one of the best hold up forwards in the league. Outside of Haaland, who else can hold the ball up that well? That’s such a massive quality for a club of our level where we will need the ball to stick up top against the better teams/draw fouls to relive the pressure on the defence. I’d personally class him alongside KWP and JWP as one of our most important players. I’d be gobsmacked if he left

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ralph indicated that he wasn't picked today because he didn't train. 

Not sure why we are considering selling him. He ain't scored a shed load of goals. Maybe the management feel they can do better. Maybe he wants £100k+ a week and we are not willing to pay that. It's two years fro the end of his contract. We don't want to see his value drop off a cliff by waiting another year, so are maybe listening to offers. Or maybe he has asked to move, thinks he can play for a bigger club or wants to go back up norf. Who knows. 

39 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Lastly.. was interesting to see how the formations moved around today tactically, and was great seeing Ralph in discussions with his coaching staff. Looked like we started in a 4231 that moved into a 4321 in defence and we ended in a 4222 with Ely covering Djenepo

4231 - I could have swore Ely was playing the 10 for the first fifteen minutes of the game or so.

21 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

4231 - I could have swore Ely was playing the 10 for the first fifteen minutes of the game or so.

Ralph said as much in his interview with Blackmore after the game.

There was a slight formation change after that with Aribo going Central.

25 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Looked like he was yeah, with Aribo right and Armstrong left.. then in the defensive transition Ely dropped back into a 3 (4321)

But then yeah… they changed Ely/Aribo around briefly but after 20 or so went to a 4222… I find all of that stuff quite interesting so apologies 😂

Good to see fluidity 

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Looked like he was yeah, with Aribo right and Armstrong left.. then in the defensive transition Ely dropped back into a 3 (4321)

But then yeah… they changed Ely/Aribo around briefly but after 20 or so went to a 4222… I find all of that stuff quite interesting so apologies 😂

Good to see fluidity 

Did Aribo go off injured? Sky app said so but looked more tactical to me

Lavia, BK, KWP and Che were all fantastic. Jwp much better in the second half after a quiet first. 

Though Aribo worked hard throughout and was a decent out. MD also did admirably at LB considering it’s not his primary position. 

thought Bazunu should have some better for their goal. 

good away support throughout and rocking at the end. 

• Like 1

Just got back, great away day experience.

New signings looked the part.

Djenepo is reborn.

Mo and AA continue to be ineffective and aren't rising the challenge.

Che put it it about a bit and got his rewards.

Leicester fans deserted on 85mins after the second goal. Can't understand that ... should have supported their team to go for an equaliser. They've got issues there!

Well deserved win, though much steerner tests will come. I think any team would have taken Leicester today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dragon_man said:

Leicester fans deserted on 85mins after the second goal. Can't understand that ... should have supported their team to go for an equaliser. They've got issues there!

I'd say so 85 mins + stoppage time , against crappy old (9-0) Saints, wheres the faith. I'm sure Gary will explain later on MOTD...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

How composed did Mara look with the goal that was ruled out. After the assist and testing Meslier with a great shot last week, you can tell the kid has really got something about him

A well taken goal regardless if it's ruled offside is a huge confidence booster for a young new striker at a new club

• Like 2

Well first off, that's a great result, especially to come from behind again though I wish it didn't take us going behind to burst into life!

This was the first time this season we actually looked like a solid top level team imo. We set up well and handled the Leicester pressure first half but we lacked composure on the ball as it seemed every time we got it we gave it back to them. In particular thought Ely, Aribo and Armstrong were all poor in getting the ball up field and JWP was practically invisible for the first half.

Second half started with more of the same but funnily the Leicester goal is what really changed things, with them suddenly having something to hold on to and us needing to chase the game flipped completely and I thought we were clearly the best team from then on out. Big credit to Che for the goals and overall effort (we'd be mad to sell him even before todays heroics) though i'm slightly worried that we seem to be so reliant on KWP as an outlet to get us into the final third as he seemed to be the catalyst for most of our best moves.

New guys all continue to look good (though I thought Aribo had his worst performance for us so far). Special mentions to Lavia who continues to look at home in the Prem and especially Bella-Kotchap who so far looks to be a very solid addition at the back. Tidy finish from Mara as well even though it was offside but don't want to start bigging him up too quickly as the form of new players (especially young ones) can fluctuate greatly and don't want expectations to get too high to avoid the inevitable backlash later on.

Credit also to Ralph, think he did well with the overall tactics and subs but still needs to find the best balance between defense and attack as while we looked more solid defensively today we were a bit stifled going forward in the first half and it shouldn't take going behind to force us to go forward and create goal scoring chances. A big improvement though and things starting to move in the right direction. Let's hope we keep it up and try and get something out of the next couple of games because with that first win under our belts and some points on the board I think we can be a bit more brave in these next few games against 'bigger' teams.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

I guess if you are looking a bit pants - you don’t want to be sitting in Freeman’s Common waiting to get dive out and home to piddle off your Saturday even more. 🤪

I wonder if due to Covid and little air travel the purse strings have been tightened on the Srivaddhanaprabha family and Leicester City is a frippery that will not go down well with the staff in their duty free business if they splurge out on multi million pound player or two - whilst the entities are separate it doesn’t look good for staff moral if they are seeing cuts. If I have read right they have spent no money in the transfer market.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Good review as always. In regards to Moi and although I don’t agree pretty sure Ralph likes his off the ball work and positional sense.

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

I guess if you are looking a bit pants - you don’t want to be sitting in Freeman’s Common waiting to get dive out and home to piddle off your Saturday even more. 🤪

I wonder if due to Covid and little air travel the purse strings have been tightened on the Srivaddhanaprabha family and Leicester City is a frippery that will not go down well with the staff in their duty free business if they splurge out on multi million pound player or two - whilst the entities are separate it doesn’t look good for staff moral if they are seeing cuts. If I have read right they have spent no money in the transfer market.

Yeah that's correct re: Leicester. They're a bit stuck in two area's, FFP (they need to move on some high earners first) and also a lack of investment from the ownership due to a slow down in their operations after COVID. King Power took a massive hit, which is no surprise really given the nature of their business.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maysie said:

Good review as always. In regards to Moi and although I don’t agree pretty sure Ralph likes his off the ball work and positional sense.

Yeah, there is the off the ball stuff which is very important, I think he's good at that and like you said probably one of the reasons he's picked. But I think an attacker should be able to influence on the ball as well, he just doesn't seem to be able to.

It feels like we're at a disadvantage on the ball when he's playing.