Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Turkish

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

In their defence, they have had zero service today. RH has got the front 4 pushing right up to try and stop City playing out from the back, but it's still far too easy for them. There is literally no link between CM and attack. Nothing.

This has been the issue every game. Armstrong and Aribo are lost today, totally bypassed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

In their defence, they have had zero service today. RH has got the front 4 pushing right up to try and stop City playing out from the back, but it's still far too easy for them. There is literally no link between CM and attack. Nothing.

absolutely no service, but when it does come their way they have lost the ball far far too easy. Armstrong has had two shit dribbles and lost the ball both times simply through a woeful touch. Che had a couple of opportunities to hold the ball up, but failed. 

I dont think either put any real pressure on opponents. Its just jogging between players. Not easy, I know, but they just dont do anything at all. Nothing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

What is the point of zonal marking? An attacker runs from one zone to another so the bloke who might have been marking him ends up marking nobody. Meanwhile the attacker has run into another zone and chances are he'll not be picked up cos nobody sees him coming. Weird system.

Loads of teams use zonal marking from set pieces. Ask all the managers that use it why, I don't know.

Just now, Saint NL said:

Half time.

It's bad, but not as bad as expected.

Not much more you can say.

Our CBs have taken up some fantastic positions.

City do look like they are strolling and trying to score the `perfect' goal. Hopefully they will get sloppy. 

Just now, The Cat said:

Loads of teams use zonal marking from set pieces. Ask all the managers that use it why, I don't know.

I know and it just makes no sense to me. Wish someone could explain it. I'm sure there is a whole list of stat which prove if you mark zonally you are less likely to concede but it's never made any sense to me.

Saw someone slating Che and Adam Armstrong but to be honest when they've actually got the ball I think they've done as much as can be expected, a few good runs, hold up play and passes but overall just outclassed. 

S. Armstrong having a really good game. 

Aribo, JWP and Diallo not really involved, game passing them by. Our midfield is crying out for someone who can consistently win the ball like Lavia or Romeu. 

At the back, KWP has absolutely lost the plot going missing like he has, Ketchup has been ok, Salisu hasn't really done much right or wrong and Perraud has looked good going forward. 

Bazunu doesn't strike me as a sweeper keeper with passing ability which begs the question why were we so adamant we wanted him.

Being 2 0 down at half time is bad news in any game. I refuse to do the it is ok against City routine.

Yes we expect to lose but I expect to see City players argueing and limping bit. At least let them know they are in a game.

This is where playing youngsters really shows.

Utd were 4 down at half time so we are at least in good company.

Where tf is our midfield today? Ward-Prowse might as well be in the stands if all he wants to do is stand around watch the ball flying past him every time and Stu is clueless and well past his sell-by date. 

Spineless football at its very worst. Can't see Bella Kotchap hanging around for long with this bunch of clueless twats.

We really do look second rate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, macca155 said:

Being 2 0 down at half time is bad news in any game. I refuse to do the it is ok against City routine.

Yes we expect to lose but I expect to see City players argueing and limping bit. At least let them know they are in a game.

Do you get extra points for that then? 

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Nil, shots of any kind and nil corners is basically cowardly football.

our strikers are just passengers. They create absolutely nothing themselves. I know its pointless bringing up Broja, but we are in desperate need or a forward that can create something themselves. We don't even have an out ball never mind a threat.

Is their a less threatening forward line in the division?

• Like 1

We've defended pretty well to be honest. Bazunu had made some good saves and the CB's have been excellent. 

Walker Peters and Stu Armstrong and fault for the goals, both of which were preventable.

Nothing going forward though, probably the lack of belief we can pass through their midfield so are resorting to long balls.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, macca155 said:

We have two youngsters on the pitch. One is in goal and has done well all things considered. The other is ABK and has done well.

Bizarre comment.

We're losing becasue KWP is having one of the worst games i've seen him have for us, and because Diallo is a passenger and certainly not the ball winning CDM that we badly need. If KWP had played a bit better it would likely be 0-0 to be honest!

Edited by Saint86

Look, realistically we were always going to lose this game. Far better teams than us will lose to this City side, especially away. But it is the nature of the loss which is so infuriating. As mentioned, for Foden's goal, there are four attackers running at two defenders, the right back who, if KWP himself is not able to cover due to a quick turn over should be being covered by the man in front of him, is not even on the screen. this is tactical ineptitude. 

I would be yelling down a Sunday league team who did not cover full back positions in this way. Do it against a team like this and... well, we've seen the result. 

Further, Ralph plays two forwards in front of JWP and Diallo - so now we have .Armstrong backing into AKE trying to out-muscle him and beat him in the air. You have Che doing the same against Dias and, of course, getting no luck. 

Ralph continues to get away with these ill-informed team selections and tactical decisions because every now and again the broken clock tells the right time and then his job is safe for another three months. 

Again, I am certainly not claiming we should be beating this Man City team. But if we are going to go down, surely it needs to be more challenging for them than this.

Finally, and this is a hill that I will die on, Che Adams and A.Armstrong will never be good enough for this league. The odd goal every five games will never convince me otherwise. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Where tf is our midfield today? Ward-Prowse might as well be in the stands if all he wants to do is stand around watch the ball flying past him every time and Stu is clueless and well past his sell-by date. 

Spineless football at its very worst. Can't see Bella Kotchap hanging around for long with this bunch of clueless twats.

We really do look second rate.

And classic Stu, pick the ball up, head down, run, lose possession, opposition score. Predictable. Not good enough for Premier league, absolute liability and lacks guts to at least work hard. 

However, except our CBs everyone out classed as to be expected. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We have two youngsters on the pitch. One is in goal and has done well all things considered. The other is ABK and has done well.

Bizarre comment.

We're losing becasue KWP is having one of the worst games i've seen him have for us, and because Diallo is a passenger and certainly not the ball winning CDM that we badly need. If KWP had played a bit better it would likely be 0-0 to be honest!

Bloody hell you're right, so conditioned to us playing youngsters I spout the linea again.... embarrassed myself there.

Agree on Bazuna, he's on a hiding to nothing. KWP seems to have too much work to do and is clearly being stretched.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic