Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Turkish

On a positive note in recent seasons we have somehow tended to do well against them. Would've won there last season if it wasn't for an awful VAR decision. Having said that I cant see anything other than at least a 4-0 loss and a Haaland hattrick

I hate to say it but 3 at the back for me for this one - not defensive per se but something has to change. Even the 4 at the back isn't working now. I'd like to try...

Bazunu (yes keeping faith for now)

DCC/ABK/Salisu

KWP/JWP/Diallo/Perraud

Aribo Edozie

Adams 

Whatever we put out we're probably going to get bummed. City are in rampant form.

The Simpsons GIF0_GettyImages-1368804944.jpg

Just now, Dark Munster said:

Haaland has scored three consecutive PL home hat tricks. A new record. He’s about to extend it to four. 

Surely Ralph won’t survive three 9-0s. 

Will he?

My hope is that, because it's City, the higher powers are keeping him in with a view to sacking him either way afterwards. If we lose, a new manager hasn't come in and started with a thumping, and it gives them more excuse for getting rid of Ralph. If we draw or win, Ralph goes out on a high and we get a bit of confidence for a new manager to come in and start with a home tie against West Ham. Sort of win/win if you look at it in a weird way.

If the board keep faith with Ralph for much longer, I really think we're going down this season. We can't keep losing games that we should be picking up points at - this is the strongest Premier League in years and keeping a manager who doesn't even know what his best formation is let alone his best first XI is is very worrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Eleven players behind the ball at all times. Don't even bother trying to get over the halfway line

We'll be lucky to get out of our box, never mind see the half bloody way line...!

ABK and Salisu's physical presence does enough to keep Haaland out of the goals. As Pep is distracted looking for wonderkid Redmond, who he set up his tactics to oppose, JWP gets a free kick into the box. The goalkeeper paries it and Stu hammers it home (even if he was aiming for the other part of the goal). 0-1 Saints win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

ABK and Salisu's physical presence does enough to keep Haaland out of the goals. As Pep is distracted looking for wonderkid Redmond, who he set up his tactics to oppose, JWP gets a free kick into the box. The goalkeeper paries it and Stu hammers it home (even if he was aiming for the other part of the goal). 0-1 Saints win.

Real Housewives GIF

16 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Close.

I'd think it would be 0-0, fantastic rearguard performance, a booted clearance in 90+4 eludes Ederson, Adams goes past him, just had to roll it in...3 yards out...post...how...?!?

City break...ball over the top, JWP does one of those annoying backwards headers he does...Bazunu stranded, 1-0 City...final whistle.

Edited by OttawaSaint

9 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Close.

I'd think it would be 0-0, fantastic rearguard performance, a booted clearance in 90+4 eludes Ederson, Adams goes past him, just had to roll it in...3 yards out...post...how...?!?

City break...ball over the top, JWP does one of those annoying backwards headers he does...Bazunu stranded, 1-0 City...final whistle.

That just shows you the fine margins in football. In your scenario, it's a rear guard action where City sneak a winner. In mine, we sneak a winner after a lot of defending. Hard to blame Ralph under such circumstances.

These games are always weird, everyone expects a total thrashing, embarrassment, record scores etc etc. We played City twice after being pummelled by Leicester, and even though we lost the league game, it was a somewhat respectable 3-1.

It won't be record scores, but we'll lose. I was hoping we'd be close to a positive GD for the first time in many years this season, so a low-scoring defeat should be the target.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I suspect City will regard this as a game not worth expending much effort on and will settle for a 2-0 or 3-0 win at half pace rather than going all out for the thrashing

City might but can’t imagine Haaland settling for that. Man no doubt wants to break every record this season and is on track for it 8 games in 😐

• Like 2

Might be a chance for City to rest some players for their upcoming CL games although they will still be far too good. It’s a bit like having Shrewsbury or Burton at home in the Cup inbetween Man U and Sevilla. Give some of your squad depth some game time against non PL standard opposition.

Bet Pep doesn’t though and we get their first choice XI

34 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Might be a chance for City to rest some players for their upcoming CL games although they will still be far too good. It’s a bit like having Shrewsbury or Burton at home in the Cup inbetween Man U and Sevilla. Give some of your squad depth some game time against non PL standard opposition.

Bet Pep doesn’t though and we get their first choice XI

He’ll use the five subs. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

These games are always weird, everyone expects a total thrashing, embarrassment, record scores etc etc. We played City twice after being pummelled by Leicester, and even though we lost the league game, it was a somewhat respectable 3-1.

It won't be record scores, but we'll lose. I was hoping we'd be close to a positive GD for the first time in many years this season, so a low-scoring defeat should be the target.

2-1, we led for a bit as well they scored the winner very late, I remember it well as it was my sons first away game. We went into the city club shop after to let the traffic die down and he roped me into buying him a City kit, £90 later FFS think the league cup game was 3-1

Edited by Turkish

United showed today that if you don’t go to city with a plan and some drive you’re absolutely dead. 

We had a great plan for them last season, shame about the rest of the teams we have to play.

Won’t be watching, quick check of the bbc to see how they describe the result. Thrash and woeful Southampton are the words id bet on.

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Last season was clearly a blip………

I don’t mean remaining unbeaten against City, but not conceding 9 in a game during the season. Ralph could well be back on track for the annual 9-0. Fucking Claude Puel & les Reed 

We had a good go though, chelsea done us for 6 and we were lucky to keep it at that. Plus we were really good at conceding two goals very quickly, often within 10 minutes something we’ve managed not to fix this season either.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic