Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Lighthouse

14 minutes ago, saintant said:

Watching that game I was srtuck by the question of, what has happened to JWP? He is a shadow of the player we've seen for the past few seasons. I'm not sure he'd get into another team in the Premier League. He offers absolutely zero in midfield and is a total passenger. He is one of the major problems for this team. I'd be inclined to drop him.

Said it for a long time.

• Like 1

Bottom of the Prem. The rot started setting in the day Poch was sent packing and the money was taken out by Kat, with a terrible take-over option implemented so she saved face in some kind of perverted way. Marcus’ legacy fucked over by football nobodies. And now the supposedly knowledgeable SR are finishing the job off, appointing a no-mark manager and not investing in decent strikers to reverse the decline.

If I’m honest I’ve known we’re due to go down as the performance’s have been so poor for such a long time. Things are just going from bad to worse and I can’t see this manager getting this group of players to save the club. Relegation will ruin the club from top to bottom financially I suspect and SR are probably in no position to weather the storm. The future looks bleak on so many fronts.

Of course I hope somehow a miracle turnaround happens and the above analysis is shown to be inaccurate.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

What a gulf in class between us and Brighton. They have advanced in terms of style, skill and effort as far as we've regressed. On that showing we are the new favourites for staying bottom of the league. Only positive from that game is that the owners must realise, despite all their investment, we need more to have even a glimmer of hope.

Bazunu at fault for for both the first two goals. JWP needs to be dropped. Aribo unfit? Lavia must be on his way out. Lyanco a red card just waiting to happen. Elyonousi - why? AMN very ordinary at best. Djenepo a lightwieght. Nobody who can finish. Edozie bright but needs to finish. KWP rusty.

Didn't see the fight or endeavour you'd expect from a new manager bounce...you actually have to rise to bounce - we didn't even get started. Terrible.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

Trying to take some positives…

Edozie is quality and must play.

Diallo needs to go.

The diamond of JWP, Aribo, Elyo and stu worked for a period of time (albeit short)

Lavia still to return 

Otherwise that sucked

We'll still be saying this in April. For such a talent and one so young, hes always injured. You cant even say that hes been a good signing as hes only played a handful of times

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The only glimmer of positivity to take from that game was the willingness of Edozie to take people on and try to create something. I can forgive him the missed chances because he's only very young and they weren't sitters by any means, but he's got the potential to be really good, as long as he's playing in a confident team and not expected to carry us onbhis own.

he certainly gives it a good go. I think perhaps he tries to do it when there are too many players in front of him and not enough space, but better that than never trying to beat a man. He won't keep us up though. We need so much more and have done for ages. 

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I fear that they won't sack him this season. To do that would be a submission of failure on their part. He's obviously here for the long term, no matter what division we find ourselves in. 

Sad but true.

• Like 1

Trying to remain level-headed and give a measured response but that was objectively an awful performance and result.

I never though Jones was the man for the job and I feel like that opinion is vindicated today. He’s had 6 weeks to prepare and that was terrible. No discernible game plan and tactics. No energy and ideas - players looked unsure and lost. 

Those players can play: they are inconsistent but the basics just weren’t there today. We definitely have deficiencies in the squad but the sheer gulf between us and brighton is enormous. We came into the game towards the end but it was hoofball disruptive football after brighton sat back. Not because we took a stranglehold on the game and improved in a way that bodes well for the next few games.

Jones doesn’t inspire me and doesn’t have the pedigree to allow for a massive period of grace and goodwill from the fanbase if results don’t go well. I don’t think they will - I didn’t see anything today to make me think differently. He seems tactically naive and bearing in mind that’s his premier league home debut as a manager and he’s had 6 weeks to prepare - it really doesn’t bode well. 3 more losses like that in the next 3 games and I’d get rid. Questions need to be asked of the hierarchy - I believe ultimately Ralph was a good manager who was hamstrung by the club and eventually ran out of time. He had flaws as a manager and was frustrating but he had experience and pedigree. Jones doesn’t have that and I don’t think the players were playing for him today so I don’t think they buy into him as manager. Looking at their non-reaction to his shouting on that cringe video shows that I think. 

Anyway. Rant over. 

• Like 5

Those running the club think that positive action is instructing a designated goon to turn up the PA at half time and full time to drown out booing home supporters. The board, manager and coaches, plus players look way out of their depth to be competitive at this level. I think a majority of the fans can see the writing on the wall at the moment. The unique luxury of a month with the players and a kind establishing run of games for NJ in December / January and the side don’t appear to have a formation, drive or purpose. Two or three token signings aren’t likely to save us in the Prem, we should have lost to Lincoln and been hammered by Brighton - shit show! 

• Like 6

That was absolutely diabolical. Edozie was the only positive today and he got hooked for fucking Adam Armstrong. Struggling to take anything positive out of that performance and can't see where the points are going to come from. Jones massively out of his depth. No tactics, no game management, utter shit. Cut the losses and get shot of him now. 

I just don't understand how you can have 5 weeks off to work on everything / anything and then play like a bunch of trialists thrown together.  If you squinted you'd say that we were trying to play long balls and feed off scraps but as antiquated as that 'tactic' is it also wasn't obvious.  Awful in possession and unorganised out of it.  What exactly have they been doing the last 5 weeks?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Was lavia our worst signing of the season? Never plays and it seems like our entire transfer strategy in the summer hinged on him being great every week. 

It's worrying that we seem to be pinning our hopes on two teenagers in Lavia and Endozie who , yes they look promising, but we're in a relegation battle and these two had never played in the Premiership before this season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

A good summery of our positives from today's game. Nice one Viking. 😀

• Haha 3

We stood off Brighton and gave them the freedom of the park. They were allowed to pass and move at will. We should have been right in their faces from the first whistle but we stood back and said, after you. Bazunu is a liability and at fault for the first two goals. He must be dropped after that display. Jones has inexplicably broken up the partnership of Salisu and ABK which was developing. Not sure how he thinks the kamikaze Lyanco is the answer when he spreads panic across the back four.  Stuart Armstrong should be one of the first names on the team sheet yet we get Diallo, Djenepo and Elyounoussi. Can't see where our next win is coming from after watching that disaster show.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 4

I can't think of anything positive to say regarding saints atm.

We are rock bottom because we have clueless owners who in their wisdom took far too long to sack a constantly clueless manager, and then decide to hire a second rate manager who is also obviously clueless to manage a bunch of clueless players and hope he has what it takes to get us out of a relegation fight in the toughest league in the world. 

The end result is what we are watching on the pitch. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Didn't see the fight or endeavour you'd expect from a new manager bounce...you actually have to rise to bounce - we didn't even get started. Terrible.

Other clubs have new manager bounces. Ours is a new manager belly flop.

• Like 2

I'm livid.

We got in some no hoper, not much we can do but bare minimum:

- assess whole squad for strengths and weaknesses

- work on tactics

- figure out a formation

- try out said formation in 6-8 games 

- identify any weaknesses to figure out transfer targets

- get the team Strachan fit

- hit the ground running

In reality, he booked off on day 1 leaving JWP to organize the FIFA Playstation schedule while he wandered the valleys close harmony singing and calling people "boyo".

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Haha 1

Not surprised, our players have been shit for a while, new tactics can't make us or them better.

Problem is the midfield as we currently have the under 7s playing their.

So much crapness.

0 chance of enticing anyone decent in Jan.

My Luton mate is already expecting Jones back at the end of the season.

• Like 2

Fucking disgraceful performance. Bazunu, Diallo, AMN, JWP (currently), Djenepo, Moi, A.Armstrong all nowhere near good enough. 

Midfield and Attack are huge problem areas. Holes and pathetic passengers everywhere. 

SR need to pull their fucking heads out of their arses in January and stop dicking around as at the moment we are going down and staying down as we deserve. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

Sports Republic not looking the clever bunch many of us hoped. They are getting a lot wrong and very little right. We need to hear from them.

Semmens will post it in the OS.

Probably the day after they post Gao’s  Five Pledges. 

This forum is normally doom and gloom after a defeat.  Not always justified.  This time it is.  We looked a Championship side in waiting.  Confidence looks shot.  I know that we need a striker, but we also need an old head to organise this lot.  A Jimmy Case or Alan Ball.

• Like 4

Something's fishy with these Serbs. Probably running all their dirty war cash through the club while they trouser the clean stuff they'll get from selling Lavia et al. We'll be left a shell of a club in league 1.

There's so many odd things happening. The tranfer policy, calling Goztepe the top team, getting Ieuan Evans or whatever his name is in...hmm

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Nathan Jones has told Adam Blackmore that he does not have the players needed to implement the style he wants..

WHY THE FUCK DID WE BRING HIM IN THEN?

Did he really say that?

Presumably he means the big unit upfront that his style seems to want to lump it at.

When we've been in 'trouble' in recent years, I've always held the belief we'd be ok - we're not great, but we do have something about us.

But this season is the first season since our year with Wotte and co that I'm resigned, probably 20th. Anything above 20th is an achievement. 

The squad is one of the worst, maybe the worst, we've ever had at this level. 

Bazunu - He is 'potential' one for the future, but we thought we'd get clever. All well and good if you have quality in other areas of the pitch to make up for his errors, but we don't. Probably a NPC keeper atm, but this season has the potential to destroy any potential he once had. Butland in the making.

Perraud - Love his energy and enthusiasm, but technically terrible. Slow, poor touch, no technical ability on the ball. Generally as an attacking outlet he's null and void.

Salisu - Bottom half PL/Top half NPC quality. Always prone to disasters and that doesn't seem to be going away as he 'matures'.

Lyanco - NPC quality at best, maybe lower. Rash, and clumsy. Plays with heart and passion but with no actual ability to back it up. Inept. 

KWP - One of the very few PL quality palyers, but he was dross today.

Moussa - Why we gave him a new contract is beyond me. He is useless. You only have to look at the few opportunities he had to take someone on, he'd either look backwards, fall over or his touch was so bad that it would end up as a throw. Really low quality player, NPC at best.

JWP - He's a little boy lost in that midfield. He's too weak to do it all by himself, he's still one of the few PL quality players we have but he can't do it all on his own.

Diallo - Jesus.h.Christ. I've never seen such an awful excuse for a CM at any level. What can he do? He runs around, gets tight to a player, falls over and then they're away anyway. It's torture having to watch him try to compete at a decent level. I wouldn't even say he's NPC quality.

Edozie - Young and raw, he has some life about him but it won't be long until that's sucked out of him. I don't see what is different between him and Tella if i'm honest, both of a similar level ability wise.

Ely - I hear he's debating about signing a new contract, well don't offer him one ffs. Not good enough, not strong enough, not quick enough. Not a PL player.

Adams - tries hard, but for holy christ sake he is not a lone striker. Never has been, never will be. It's like flogging him to the lions.

When you put that lot of misfits above like that you realise what a truly terrible, terrible team we have. The bench is littered with Armstrong, AMN, McCarthy, Theo - wonderful. 

Someone needs to turn the lights out, it might sound defeatist but that performance stunk of relegation and I can't see us recovering from that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

When we've been in 'trouble' in recent years, I've always held the belief we'd be ok - we're not great, but we do have something about us.

But this season is the first season since our year with Wotte and co that I'm resigned, probably 20th. Anything above 20th is an achievement. 

The squad is one of the worst, maybe the worst, we've ever had at this level. 

Bazunu - He is 'potential' one for the future, but we thought we'd get clever. All well and good if you have quality in other areas of the pitch to make up for his errors, but we don't. Probably a NPC keeper atm, but this season has the potential to destroy any potential he once had. Butland in the making.

Perraud - Love his energy and enthusiasm, but technically terrible. Slow, poor touch, no technical ability on the ball. Generally as an attacking outlet he's null and void.

Salisu - Bottom half PL/Top half NPC quality. Always prone to disasters and that doesn't seem to be going away as he 'matures'.

Lyanco - NPC quality at best, maybe lower. Rash, and clumsy. Plays with heart and passion but with no actual ability to back it up. Inept. 

KWP - One of the very few PL quality palyers, but he was dross today.

Moussa - Why we gave him a new contract is beyond me. He is useless. You only have to look at the few opportunities he had to take someone on, he'd ever look backwards, fall over or his touch was so bad that it would end up as a throw. Really low quality player, NPC at best.

JWP - He's a little boy lost in that midfield. He's too weak to do it all by himself, he's still one of the few PL quality players we have but he can't do it all on his own.

Diallo - Jesus.h.Christ. I've never seen such an awful excuse for a CM at any level. What can he do? He runs around, gets tight to a player, falls over and then they're away anyway. It's torture having to watch him try to compete at a decent level. I wouldn't even say he's NPC quality.

Edozie - Young and raw, he has some life about him but it won't be long until that's sucked out of him. I don't see what is different between him and Tella if i'm honest, both of a similar level ability wise.

Ely - I hear he's debating about signing a new contract, well don't offer him one ffs. Not good enough, not strong enough, not quick enough. Not a PL player.

Adams - tries hard, but for holy christ sake he is not a lone striker. Never has been, never will be. It's like flogging him to the lions.

When you put that lot of misfits above like that you realise what a truly terrible, terrible team we have. The bench is littered with Armstrong, AMN, McCarthy, Theo - wonderful. 

Someone needs to turn the lights out, it might sound defeatist but that performance stuck of relegation and I can't see us recovering from that.

Great post. Very worrying indeed. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic