Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

When the likes of Lyanco, Diallo, Ely and Moussa get anywhere near the starting lineup young know that we're in trouble. Well, I know, you know, the media know, but the one person who picks the team is too busy sniffing leeks and watching Songs of Praise.

10/10 transer window in the summer apparently 😄

Wow, that was awful. Some truly inept play all over the pitch. 

First half was a total shambles. No obvious style, a lone striker with no support and largely aimless balls wafted forward often not anywhere near one of our players.

Not sure what Stuart Armstrong has done wrong to not get in the starting line up as at least when he came on we had a modicum of drive from midfield. However with no defensive midfielder the opposition can pretty much play through us at will.

The way it's going we'll be lucky to scrape 25 points this season. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Spineless and gutless with too little quality. Hopefully that first half selection was nothing more than a message to the board about the distinct lack of quality he needs to turn this around. Midfield needs some genuine power and resilience to allow Stuart Armstrong and Aribo back into the side to create from the off. We seem to lose every 50-50 battle at the moment and need some nous/strength to reverse this. It would also take the load off Lavia even when he is fit again.

It goes without saying we have to find another source of goals to share the load with Adams. Edozie was a positive but we do also need another spark to make sure he doesn't get burned out and for when he has a quiet spell as young players do from time to time. 

We also need to find our shape for the next few games and stick with it. No point trying out many new systems over the coming weeks as it will be so disjointed and we will doubtless lose even more confidence. Most of Brighton's play was intuitive because they had defined patterns of play and they know what they needed to do and who would be there to do it. Much to do and not much time to do it...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Wow, that was awful. Some truly inept play all over the pitch. 

First half was a total shambles. No obvious style, a lone striker with no support and largely aimless balls wafted forward often not anywhere near one of our players.

Not sure what Stuart Armstrong has done wrong to not get in the starting line up as at least when he came on we had a modicum of drive from midfield. However with no defensive midfielder the opposition can pretty much play through us at will.

The way it's going we'll be lucky to scrape 25 points this season. 

This is one of our main issues - a lack of a competent CM and depth in CM. Losing Romeu and not replacing with a player of similar attributes was just dumb.

No doubting our lack of goals, but you could somewhat cover that lack of goals if we didn't let them in at will due to our piss poor midfield. It's getting to the point where I'd prioritise CM as it's so painful, we cannot compete against any team at this level or even EFL with that CM pairing. 

I just tried to pick a lineup and formation from what we have but there's too many positions where I'm like. Jesus, I'll have to put him in, noone is better, so I started to sympathize a bit with Jones but that ended when I looked back at his lineup. 

Utterly clueless, smacking of, "hmm, this is a gamble but if it works ill like like a genius!".

No, you look like a lower league guy, with lower league ideas and standards. 

We've got Blackadder's Duke of Wellington in charge "shout shout and shout again!".

3 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

If you'l had a magic button that would instantly bring Ralph back, would you push it?

Fuck no , he's got us in this position, he shouldve been sacked end last season and a competant manager bought in , cant believe people still dont see him as main part of problem

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 7

Left after an hour.  Absolutely fed up of us being outplayed.  Seriously given up with this shit now.

A quick word on the manager.  You’re a fucking idiot for starting Diallo, Ely and Djenepo.   None  should be near the first team.

Also well done for spotting theee man over on the right every time they attacked and doing absolutely fuck all about it.

Absolutely fucking shite.  Merry fucking Christmas.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I just tried to pick a lineup and formation from what we have but there's too many positions where I'm like. Jesus, I'll have to put him in, noone is better, so I started to sympathize a bit with Jones but that ended when I looked back at his lineup. 

Utterly clueless, smacking of, "hmm, this is a gamble but if it works ill like like a genius!".

No, you look like a lower league guy, with lower league ideas and standards. 

We've got Blackadder's Duke of Wellington in charge "shout shout and shout again!".

With our depth at cb we look like we should play 3 at the back. The problem is us being weak in cm and weak up front that i struggle to select 3 cm’s and 2 attackers from the assembled dross.

Where are the athletes in our midfield? Tall, quick players who can cover the ground, close down, win duels, second balls, tackles  and then spring into support of the attack. With no engine the car aint gonna run. We do, however, have plenty of passengers.

• Like 1

Not that I wanted to sit there for any longer, but how was there only 4 minutes added on at the end?

The penalty decision took that long on its own, plus a load of subs and other stoppages. If that was the World Cup it would have been at least 8 minutes added.

• Like 1

Felt so pessimistic before the game. Absolute shite performance. Cannot remember us being so bad and so bereft of ideas. Team and manager out of their depth. JWP is fucking useless captain. When their keeper should be getting a 2nd yellow, where is he? In the ref’s ear? No 30 yards away pissing around with his quiff. Epitomises our lack of fight, 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Where are the athletes in our midfield? Tall, quick players who can cover the ground, close down, win duels, second balls, tackles  and then spring into support of the attack. With no engine the car aint gonna run. We do, however, have plenty of passengers.

We're a bus with no driver.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Not that I wanted to sit there for any longer, but how was there only 4 minutes added on at the end?

The penalty decision took that long on its own, plus a load of subs and other stoppages. If that was the World Cup it would have been at least 8 minutes added.

Ref was as shite as everyone else today. 

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Glad it wasn't as score would probably have been 1-5

10 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Fuck no , he's got us in this position, he shouldve been sacked end last season and a competant manager bought in , cant believe people still dont see him as main part of problem

Immediately below your post is a post chastising Jones' selection of Djenepo (amongst others), a guy that has done almost nothing since he came here, yet Ralph gave a new three year contract - a perfect example of the kind of decisions that have got us where we are today.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Look at the ease in which Brighton kept the ball, was quite shocking , small bit of movement to create some space and we couldn't win it back, embarrassing but we've come to expect it of our midfield 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

Felt so pessimistic before the game. Absolute shite performance. Cannot remember us being so bad and so bereft of ideas. Team and manager out of their depth. JWP is fucking useless captain. When their keeper should be getting a 2nd yellow, where is he? In the ref’s ear? No 30 yards away pissing around with his quiff. Epitomises our lack of fight, 

How I felt as well, think we've collectively sat through so many shite home performances over last few seasons it's worn us all down. 

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is one of our main issues - a lack of a competent CM and depth in CM. Losing Romeu and not replacing with a player of similar attributes was just dumb. 

That was always going to be a problem and I was shocked when they let him go. When he went, JWP's game went downhill big-time. A diabolical decision by the club.

The only option I think we have is to play Lyanco there; Lavia is better a bit farther up. Lyanco's default tendency (watch him!) is to come out of the back to challenge that "Romeu space", which compromises our back line, so we might as well try playing him there. ABK and CC are better CDs (are they injured?), so Lyanco should either play the Romeo role or not play at all.

This game was lost before kick off. Brighton are a good, balanced side, and players like Djenepo and Diallo - with neither a discernible role nor a discernible skillset - were always going to be chasing shadows. I like Perrault's positives and the fact that he's on his natural side, but game after game after game his failure to track back quickly is creating big problems.

Jones's half time changes showed that he'd recognized his error, but after 40 days at the club he should never have made it in the first place.

• Like 3

Wow that was horrible. What concerns me is how devoid of tactics NJ displayed. First half Brighton welcomed the press before switching it wide or passing through our powder puff midfield. We were calling for a more compact midfield all game. Diallo should never play in a Saint shirt game - truly awful player. 

Surely the game plan should have been to keep things tight and in the balance before growing into the game. 

That was an absolute disaster game that has lost all the fans and sapped any inch of confidence. Fuck me time for a brandy. Merry Christmas. 

46 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

When we've been in 'trouble' in recent years, I've always held the belief we'd be ok - we're not great, but we do have something about us.

But this season is the first season since our year with Wotte and co that I'm resigned, probably 20th. Anything above 20th is an achievement. 

The squad is one of the worst, maybe the worst, we've ever had at this level. 

Bazunu - He is 'potential' one for the future, but we thought we'd get clever. All well and good if you have quality in other areas of the pitch to make up for his errors, but we don't. Probably a NPC keeper atm, but this season has the potential to destroy any potential he once had. Butland in the making.

Perraud - Love his energy and enthusiasm, but technically terrible. Slow, poor touch, no technical ability on the ball. Generally as an attacking outlet he's null and void.

Salisu - Bottom half PL/Top half NPC quality. Always prone to disasters and that doesn't seem to be going away as he 'matures'.

Lyanco - NPC quality at best, maybe lower. Rash, and clumsy. Plays with heart and passion but with no actual ability to back it up. Inept. 

KWP - One of the very few PL quality palyers, but he was dross today.

Moussa - Why we gave him a new contract is beyond me. He is useless. You only have to look at the few opportunities he had to take someone on, he'd either look backwards, fall over or his touch was so bad that it would end up as a throw. Really low quality player, NPC at best.

JWP - He's a little boy lost in that midfield. He's too weak to do it all by himself, he's still one of the few PL quality players we have but he can't do it all on his own.

Diallo - Jesus.h.Christ. I've never seen such an awful excuse for a CM at any level. What can he do? He runs around, gets tight to a player, falls over and then they're away anyway. It's torture having to watch him try to compete at a decent level. I wouldn't even say he's NPC quality.

Edozie - Young and raw, he has some life about him but it won't be long until that's sucked out of him. I don't see what is different between him and Tella if i'm honest, both of a similar level ability wise.

Ely - I hear he's debating about signing a new contract, well don't offer him one ffs. Not good enough, not strong enough, not quick enough. Not a PL player.

Adams - tries hard, but for holy christ sake he is not a lone striker. Never has been, never will be. It's like flogging him to the lions.

When you put that lot of misfits above like that you realise what a truly terrible, terrible team we have. The bench is littered with Armstrong, AMN, McCarthy, Theo - wonderful. 

Someone needs to turn the lights out, it might sound defeatist but that performance stunk of relegation and I can't see us recovering from that.

Fuck. You've just laid all of our cards on the table. A collection of fucking duds. How did we get to this point? Dreadful. Someone press the reset button, please.

28 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

If you'l had a magic button that would instantly bring Ralph back, would you push it?

id push the button to take us back to the end of last season so we could sack him, and bring in a credible manager who we could have attracted… Thomas Frank. Now the chances of us getting a manager on his level is zero

That match started badly at two o'clock when the team was announced. It was a clusterfuck waiting to happen and it happened. Lyanco, Diallo, Djenepo and Elyonoussi just aren't team players. Lyanco is a tackle away from a red card, erratic and creates no stability. Diallo tries to play off the cuff, doesn't pass, loses the ball or gives it away, can't tackle and just doesn't cover. Worse still he doesn't read the game. Elyonoussi is a lazy stroller that thinks a few showboat touches is enough. Djenepo tries hard but appears to have little idea of how to read or play the game. 

Bazunu should have saved the first but had no chance with the other two. McCarthy is not the answer. The first two down the left and the third from the right were down the side occupied by KWP who isn't getting tight. JWP is so out of confidence that there is no positivity from him.  Adams was on his own up front he needs a partner.  Edozie is a tyro but better than anyone else. Salisu was ok. Perrault gets caught forward like KWP.

Play a back four, then they have to mainly defend not Kamikaze runs forward, sucking in the midfielders and creating big holes either side of the centrebacks.We need at least three proper new players, two attackers and a proper player/coach type leader organiser with a loud voice. We need to set up and be difficult to play against. S.Armstrong was a big improvement, swopping full backs made little difference, Aribo shows a tendency to trot back that needs to stop. Mara needs time on the field alongside Adams until hopefully we sign a couple of forwards who have got to be quick and have a goalscoring record.

IMO Bazunu, KWP ABK MS Perrault. Until Liveramento is fit then look at it again. RL and JWP behind Edozie and S. Armstrong wide with Adams and Mara together, a non supported single striker doesn't work.

It's all very well trying to pick players from the training ground but that is flawed. The deadwood will take us down, time to get ruthless.

Edited by derry
  • Like 2

I wanted to give them a chance to show that they’d learned something over the World Cup break. Fuck me that was dreadful from minute 1 until I eventually gave up to drive home at 70 mins - just couldn’t take any more.
Our “team” are utter shite from the bottom to the top. No midfield presence, lone striker who needs a partner further forward to play with, a young keeper who is getting his confidence shattered every time he steps on the pitch, a manager who has miraculously jumped 2 leagues and landed a job that he is ill prepared for. 
Semmens came round the Halo and said we apparently have the easiest next 10 games on paper of all the clubs, doubt he revisited after the game.

Shambles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FboroSaint21 said:

I wanted to give them a chance to show that they’d learned something over the World Cup break. Fuck me that was dreadful from minute 1 until I eventually gave up to drive home at 70 mins - just couldn’t take any more.
Our “team” are utter shite from the bottom to the top. No midfield presence, lone striker who needs a partner further forward to play with, a young keeper who is getting his confidence shattered every time he steps on the pitch, a manager who has miraculously jumped 2 leagues and landed a job that he is ill prepared for. 
Semmens came round the Halo and said we apparently have the easiest next 10 games on paper of all the clubs, doubt he revisited after the game.

Shambles.

The absolute brass neck on him. They're living in fucking la-la land, aren't they - either can't see the reality of the situation at the club, don't care, or have their collective heads in the sand. Sleepwalking to relegation.

Just now, sfc4prem said:

The absolute brass neck on him. They're living in fucking la-la land, aren't they - either can't see the reality of the situation at the club, don't care, or have their collective heads in the sand. Sleepwalking to relegation.

Never got why people gobbled up his cr4p over the past few years. He’s a bell.

another one of those who pretends to know what they’re doing, pretends to be the voice of calm reason - all masking his utter ineptitude and stupidity. 

still, at least we’re the champs at virtue signalling, eh Martin?

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Semmens was probably talking about the women's team which according to him is as important as the mens