Saints 1-3 Brighton - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Brilliant,  last home game before world Cup we were taken apart 1-4 by Newcastle, this time thrashed 1-3 by Brighton, wake up call hahaha 

He probably sees that as an improvement.

A couple more weeks and we'll draw 1-1 😳

Here’s my take on what I saw today. Keeper should have saved the first and possibly the second. Stuart Armstrong should be skipper and drop JWP as he appears to have lost it. Lyranco has no positional sense. Our midfield are incapable of being physically challenging and have not yet grasped the concept of passing a ball. AA and AMN should be on their way. What’s the point, in us going for another striker when we can’t even serve the two we have. Brighton were ten times better than us (mind you,at the moment the Skates would possibly do us over!) NJ has the same mediocre players Ralph left behind. However, we are currently the ‘strongest’ team in the Prem as we are propping up the other Nineteen sides. In my years of being a Saint I have seen us relegated twice. On both occasions we came back. Should we go down this time I honestly can’t see a return unless we have a really big clear out.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Fuck. You've just laid all of our cards on the table. A collection of fucking duds. How did we get to this point? Dreadful. Someone press the reset button, please.

a collection of duds, over several seasons. Horrendous.

As a club, we’ve been far busy virtue signalling, backslapping and congratulating ourselves as we degraded in every aspect as a football club.

We’ve somehow created an echo chamber full of mediocre, arrogant and inept staff and players all laced with a staggering amount of delusion as to how good, how important and in control they are of the situation.

the truth is we’ve been sliding off this cliff for a while now and with every good player we sell and every capable staff member we lose, another finger loses grip. I’d say we’re pretty much clinging on with a single hand now.

I’ve said it for years now… our recruitment is a joke. Bunch of nerds sat around counting KMs and completed passes and somehow, season upon season, managing to make us even worse than the last. Yet… no accountability? I could 100% do a better job. Give me 50k and I’ll give you 5-10 player suggestions per position around the world who could all improve the squad that would fit within our budget and requirements.

in fact, there’s plenty of people on here who could outperform these jokers.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, saintant said:

We stood off Brighton and gave them the freedom of the park. They were allowed to pass and move at will. We should have been right in their faces from the first whistle but we stood back and said, after you. Bazunu is a liability and at fault for the first two goals. He must be dropped after that display. Jones has inexplicably broken up the partnership of Salisu and ABK which was developing. Not sure how he thinks the kamikaze Lyanco is the answer when he spreads panic across the back four.  Stuart Armstrong should be one of the first names on the team sheet yet we get Diallo, Djenepo and Elyounoussi. Can't see where our next win is coming from after watching that disaster show.

Elyounousi was dreadful. He was kind of up front and in a two now and then but did not close  down. This ‘footballer didn’t close down or press once in the entire game! A coach who either doesn’t coach players or alternatively stop picking those players deserves to be sacked!

There was no evidence at all of any coaching, oh except DO NOT pass and move and DO NOT support the teammate on the ball oh do not stand in space!!! 
Llanana ran the bloody show and our team stood a watched without paying!

I was all for Jones and his hype was believed by me but he looks totally out of his deapth. 
Disgusting excuse for football!!!!! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

a collection of duds, over several seasons. Horrendous.

As a club, we’ve been far busy virtue signalling, backslapping and congratulating ourselves as we degraded in every aspect as a football club.

We’ve somehow created an echo chamber full of mediocre, arrogant and inept staff and players all laced with a staggering amount of delusion as to how good, how important and in control they are of the situation.

the truth is we’ve been sliding off this cliff for a while now and with every good player we sell and every capable staff member we lose, another finger loses grip. I’d say we’re pretty much clinging on with a single hand now.

I’ve said it for years now… our recruitment is a joke. Bunch of nerds sat around counting KMs and completed passes and somehow, season upon season, managing to make us even worse than the last. Yet… no accountability? I could 100% do a better job. Give me 50k and I’ll give you 5-10 player suggestions per position around the world who could all improve the squad that would fit within our budget and requirements.

in fact, there’s plenty of people on here who could outperform these jokers.

Spot on Rylan. This arrogant attitude that we’re smarter than everyone else has been the problem with this club for years. 

• Like 7

Brighton weren’t just better than us but light years ahead of us. they’ve been well coached under Potter and now their new manager and they’ve turned average players into decent quality players. Lots of stick for JWP but I really don’t think it’s justified, he’s carrying the whole of that midfield on his own, he’s constantly motioning for players to push on or drop off.. if I was him I’d be pushing for an exit. I don’t blame him.

We’ve some really average players and that’s down to the recruitment and semmens. But some bizarre team selections today. Caleta car undoubtedly our best defender, I’d push. Lynco into midfield, least he tried to tackle unlike the rest of the team today. 
I haven’t seen a worse team in the league than us, it’s desperate and I’m not even sure a decent few signings would make much difference and who’d want to play for a team at the foot of the table with a championship manager . 

• Like 4

Just now, Turkish said:

Spot on Rylan. This arrogant attitude that we’re smarter than everyone else has been the problem with this club for years. 

Remember, the league position does not matter..

Amazing that a fella running a mutli-million pound premier league club, where each league placing is worth millions, actually said this.

• Like 1

Well if NJ didn’t realise what a task he has ahead of him, he does now.

That was a disgraceful performance, from every man bar Sam Edozie, which says something when the only man to walk off with an ounce of dignity is a kid.

JWP should be ashamed of himself, and how they can even have the nerve to mention him in the same breath as the England squad, just shows how utterly deluded our entire setup is.

Diallo shouldn’t be anywhere near a Football League squad, let alone Prem. He is so bad it is painful to watch.

Our recruitment has been a mess for years, and now we’ve ended up with such a collective of dross, there isn’t a way out.

We can buy all the strikers we want, if we can’t catch a simple header, complete a simple pass or put a bit of bite into a simple 50/50, we’ve no hope.

Gutless, spineless and a disgrace to fans who turned up. We deserve everything we’re going to get this year. Nowt. Been sleepwalking into this for a long time.

Slate NJ all you want, but reality is our problems were bedding in long before he even came on the radar.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

And a fair chunk of us could all see it.

We moved from a club with its finger on the pulse to one that became obsessed with its own self image and how progressive it looked and seemed. Always posturing, always pontificating. 

that comes from the absolute wet blankets within the club who have unfortunately, multiplied like gremlins as time went on.

• Like 4

For me, a major concern, was that after about five or ten minutes of being run ragged and our `press' completely dismantled, we didn't seem to (be able to) adjust to nullify that domination. Brighton continued to play it out from the back with total ease. I didn't see any change to our tactic or position of players. Maybe NJ wanted to give it a little more time, but going forward we are going to need to adjust quicker when opponents are on top. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Right on time, he was wheeled out today for the usual empty platitudes today.

sums this club up.

Described today as A wake up call. We’ve been shite for a year, hardly won a game since March and he calls that a wake up call 🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Well if NJ didn’t realise what a task he has ahead of him, he does now.

That was a disgraceful performance, from every man bar Sam Edozie, which says something when the only man to walk off with an ounce of dignity is a kid.

JWP should be ashamed of himself, and how they can even have the nerve to mention him in the same breath as the England squad, just shows how utterly deluded our entire setup is.

Diallo shouldn’t be anywhere near a Football League squad, let alone Prem. He is so bad it is painful to watch.

Our recruitment has been a mess for years, and now we’ve ended up with such a collective of dross, there isn’t a way out.

We can buy all the strikers we want, if we can’t catch a simple header, complete a simple pass or put a bit of bite into a simple 50/50, we’ve no hope.

Gutless, spineless and a disgrace to fans who turned up. We deserve everything we’re going to get this year. Nowt. Been sleepwalking into this for a long time.

Slate NJ all you want, but reality is our problems were bedding in long before he even came on the radar.

Sorry but it was obvious both against Lincoln and Brighton that Jones is no coach and also no judge of players either. His team selections are weird. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Described today as A wake up call. We’ve been shite for a year, hardly won a game since March and he calls that a wake up call 🤣

😂😂😂😂 joke comment, joke club. how many wake up calls does this club need?

I think everyone is on the same page now, mostly. We’re in big trouble and everyone can see it.

except the deluded within.

• Like 2

At no point did we ever look like we were going to get anything out of that game.  The scoreline flattered us immensely, Brighton should've been in the fours and fives, at least.  Some of the stats were more than embarrassing, worryingly when you looked at the players body language and effort levels, they appear not to give two shits.  We are going down without doubt, but the worry is that we will fall further, and will be bloody lucky to find another Marcus to bail us out again.  Today was a woefully inept display from some woefully inept players.  The players, the management and board need to get their heads out of their asses and wake up to the situation. 

Oh and while I'm at it, will somebody please tell the fucking media department to stop churning out media clips of players answering stupid inane questions, or pathetic lightweight training routines.  If they manage to film the players sweating blood in training, by all means put it out, otherwise just STFU.

Edited by Micky
  • Like 5

Terrible game. 

Was saying all along in here that it's all well and good wanting Ralph out but what was next?

This team is going down without a fight. Not got the resources to change it in January.

Our only good player is a kid from Man City thrown in at the deep end. Not the worst keeper in the league, the other one.

Our midfield need help big time!

We miss Romeru, JWP isnt that midfielder who everyone thought he was, ive said for a very long time he's not that good and now ppl can see it quite plainly, he's very very ordinary he shouldnt be captain either. Elyonoussi, Djenepo and Mailtland-Niles should never be anywhere near the first team and Lyanco should never be in the central defence but i would like to see him in a def midfield role just like Romeru did or us.

If Lyanco isnt the answer to our def midfield problems then we need to find one quickly, Lavia isnt the answer, he prefers the box-box type of role. Sort out the midfield first because if we go for broke and get in 3 strikers, they still wont have any effect as the midfield cant muster up sh!t atm. Lavia in his role will help a lot but we need someone good beside him, jwp isnt that player, Stu.Armstrong might be a better option but id go for a new player imo. Edozie was our only bright spark again today, he would be the only one from midfield/fwd id keep in the squad from january onwards that played today.

Btw, what the hell did Jones do for the 4 weeks when he had basically his whole squad apart from 2 with him? he's playing the same team as Ralph did with even worse results, how on earth have we gotten worse after a new manager, normally we would see somekind of improvement, but we have somehow got worse and the players look lost what to do.

• Like 1

Luckily my family came to lunch I did watch 2 or 3 mins at the start of the game where no Saint had control of the ball and did not watch anymore.

My nehew who is at Southampton Uni was quite positive about the result as he thinks tickets will be cheaper next season and he can watch more games

Watched the first half live on Amazon. Brighton looked decent [ Partly because they have premier league standard players and partly because we did not compete on any level ]. They move the ball at pace, we do not, they make space for each other, we do not, they expected to win, we did not.

I could go on, no real point as things stand we are going down with a whimper. The above Semmens comment about having the easiest next 10 games on paper, sums up everything that is wrong with the club. God help us fans, the ones who really care and really suffer in equal measure. We are being sold down the river at at breakneck speed and no one at the club has the slightest idea how to halt the slide. Beyond worrying.

Worst performance in a very long time.

Didn’t even compete today which is unforgivable.

The summer window has completely back fired. We should have been signing players to make our first 11 stronger, 2 summer signings started today, 1 completely devoid of confidence. Our best 11 significantly weaker after letting some of the solid (if unspectacular) players leave.

Wrong team selection too, started with the 3rd and 4th choice CBs in my eyes. Bezunu should have been dropped after the Lincoln howler, not recognising that Stu Armstrong should be well ahead of Elyounoussi too 😱🤷‍♂️

Team for next game

Willy

Perraud

ABK

DCC

KWP

JWP

S Armstrong

Lavia

Edzoie 

Walcott

Adams

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Was expecting him to get a bit of abuse during the game but barely heard any. When he went off there were a few boos but also some applause.

IMG_20221226_205655.jpg

People who boo him need to get over it, he left us to join Liverpool, won the premier league and champions league, he may have been a bit of a dick when he left but it was eight years ago. 

• Like 5

My god that was so bad. 5 weeks off or so for us to be pants v Lincoln, and absolutely humiliated v Brighton. We looked like a League 1 team today, it was absolutely pathetic at times. I'm not sure what I can say about the game other than that. They could pop the ball around with quality and we couldn't. We cant do the basics, 1 clean sheet in 17 is pathetic. 

It doesn't help that we persist with dross like El-Younoussi (I genuinely didn't realise he was playing when he got subbed off). Djenepo (bloody useless), AMN (send him back), Diallo (garbage), Lyanco (tries hard but lacks ability). There is no reason Armstrong, Aribo, ABK shouldnt be playing instead of them; now we'd still be rubbish but they are marginally better.

Will we get out of it? Nah, we are the worst team in the league. And the worst part of it is that we won't even attempt to buy our way out of it. It infuriates me seeing every other club dropping 35-40m on players whilst we still hope a 12m signing will sort all our problems. INVEST. For once, INVEST. You get what you pay for, and we dont pay for quality, we hope they will get there eventually. We don't have time..  make those type of signings when you are already a good team. Summed up by getting in a manager who no other PL team was remotely interested in, of course Saints go the cheap route. Whilst Villa get Emery, Wolves get Loptaguei, Saints get....... Nathan Jones.

I still cannot believe we didn't get a striker in the summer. We sucked at the back end of last season, and we decided to go in to the new season even weaker than prior. I get that we tried, but to not be able to get ANYONE over the line is inexcusable. 

22 games left to play, plenty of points to play for, and we are not doomed yet some will say. The reality for me is this, our last 22 games have seen us win 3 times, 4 draws, and 15 losses. It is going to take a miraculous turnaround to see us survive this season, only blind optimism and zero logic can anyone say we can do it; as sadly we do not have the individual talent or financial backing to do so, and we are managed by a completely unproven Championship manager.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Appy said:

People who boo him need to get over it, he left us to join Liverpool, won the premier league and champions league, he may have been a bit of a dick when he left but it was eight years ago. 

Completely agree, embarrassing that the loudest moment the non-northam fans provided were boos for him, sums up our support! 

2 minutes ago, harvey said:

Can anyone post me the clip where Semmens says it doesn't matter where we finish in the table?

It was at the Fans Forum summer just gone, when asked about seasons expectations (I think). 

Skip past the first few mins where Adam Blackmore is sucking at Ralph's teet..

Edited by AlexLaw76

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Was expecting him to get a bit of abuse during the game but barely heard any. When he went off there were a few boos but also some applause.

IMG_20221226_205655.jpg

Thought he was immensely good today… we should’ve gone back for him after he left Liverpool…. He was everything we weren’t. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Appy said:

Nail on the head. Done far more good for this club than bad. He was instrumental in our rise from minus 10 in League One to 8th in the PL.

Would walk straight into our starting lineup right now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, madge said:

Thought he was immensely good today… we should’ve gone back for him after he left Liverpool…. He was everything we weren’t. 

He’s been consistently injured since he’s been there and that was his third goal in 2.5 years at Brighton. It’s easy to look good against our shower of sh*te.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s been consistently injured since he’s been there and that was his third goal in 2.5 years at Brighton. It’s easy to look good against our shower of sh*te.

Pretty sure he's been one of their best players this season. 

He would walk into our team, even at 34. There is no doubt about it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

clearly not true

30 appearances in his first season

24 last season

12 so far this season

Edited by AlexLaw76

The demeanour of 80% of the players is one of disinterestedly going through the motions for a club about which they feel little connection and a manager they have no respect for. This was evident even in the tunnel footage Pre-match, let alone during and after the miserable defeat. 

This is the result of rush buying too many quarter-baked, callow youth ‘prospects’ and rejects from around the globe, in too short a time, while systematically dismantling the spine of the team. Then, putting a footballing David Brent up to manage them. 

• Like 6

Just to complete a lovely day, the Daily Telegraph reports that Liverpool and Man U are in a bidding war for Gakpo.

I've got a friend that's an Ipswich fan (life goes on);  you can choose your friends,

but you can't choose your family and  you can't choose your team.

Sarfampton til I die

Sarfampton til I die

I know I am, I'm sure I am

Sarfampton til I die.

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s been superb this season. 

Not just today against our rabble

Just now, sandwichsaint said:

Just to complete a lovely day, the Daily Telegraph reports that Liverpool and Man U are in a bidding war for Gakpo.

I've got a friend that's an Ipswich fan (life goes on);  you can choose your friends,

but you can't choose your family and  you can't choose your team.

Sarfampton til I die

Sarfampton til I die

I know I am, I'm sure I am

Sarfampton til I die.

Not much of a war