Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

Edmonton Saint

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Momentum trough! 

Going down without a fight. Sickening and demoralising . I blame the owners and board for their total arrogance and lack of football nous. Oh and also the players for being physically and more important mentally weak. Really not impressed by the whole club at present.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fucking hipster twats who think keepers need to be ‘good with their feet’ get on my tits.  What they need to be is brave, good shot-stoppers and dominate their area.

I couldn’t give a tuppeny fuck how good they are at passing the ball.  

Yep. Keepers first and foremost need to keep the ball out of the net. Playing to feet is nice but in a team as weak and ineffectual as us, that’s the cherry on top of a very aspirational cake. 

We have been well and truly shafted by years of piss poor ownership. And anyone who thinks this team would win a lot of games in the championship… think again. They lack character. It’ll be a very long way back assuming relegation.  But we deserve nothing else sadly. 

41 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

We lost a lot of games this season under Ralph due to personal/ player errors.

Not a massive shock to see that under a new manager, we lose games due to personal/player errors.

It is compounded by tactics under both that promote the chances of these happening in dangerous positions and by  our poor recruitment.

Today we didn't close down a corner we rather sloppily gave away. For the second we didn't stop a header from a sloppily given away corner.

If we drop back as a team, which is the natural trained thing to do, we are simply not capable of keeping a team out. We're just not switched on enough to do this for long periods (and seeminly increasingly shorter periods)

It's not helped by having no one in midfield to pass to. I'll probably say this every game, but whoever thought it a good idea to let Romeu go, should be on their bike.

Che is very isolated. No one is near him, so he can't bring anyone into the game. No one is near him, so he can;t feed off of anyone else. Stu coming on gave us some hope for a little spell there. We don;t have the ball much as it is, so he's not going to get many chances. The couple he did get today were good chances, but he's not an instinctive finisher. They all required him to think and that moment made all the difference. 

Edozie is a decent dribbler. But he's neither blisteringly quick, powerful or clinical (he is a kid). He's useful, but he's only learning to make the correct decisions.

Aribo does a decent thing once or twice a game, and seems to be a lump for the rest of it.

I'll probably say this every game, like everyone else, but whoever thought it a good idea to not get a striker in well ahead of playing around the deadline, should be on their bike too.

When we look to at least be trying to get forward, we look okay. KWP, ABK, Salisu are good. JWP had a good game for most of it. Edozie is raw, but useful. Che works hard but needs a lot of help. Mo did well for most of the game too.

For all the good things we did today, Fulham looked the most likely in attack. They looked stronger too in a lot of areas.

Glariningly weak links are AMN. He nearly got an assist in the game after a good move, and he should be well up the park, if he's playing at all.

Aribo is the other one. He offers nothing that Che isn't already providing, and offers nothing to compliment our attack at present.

Baz is a bit flappy for my liking and some decision making is a little off. But he's a kid too, and I'd not expect anything more from him at this stage.

We desperately need a finisher, a forward who can hold it up, a defensive midfielder (it doesn;t matter if Lavia is coming back, he's not fit and may be on his way sooner rahter than later) and an attacker midfielder who can provide what Stu seems only able to give us 20mins of at present.

SR have had since the end of the last window to get things in place. There are no surprises. So, I'm hoping we get off to a flyer in the transfer window.

Agree with all of this except you've not singled out lyanco for criticism... He should be nowhere near our first 11.

Bazunu will be a decent keeper, but he is constantly exposed by our defence gifting the opposition free chances, space, opportunities.... Any young keeper would suffer under that situation. 

The board should have just given Ralph an ings replacement and strengthened depth in cdm. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Personally i didn't have an issue with edozie sub. Really people wanted useless garbage like A.Armstrong/Mara on?

What disappointed me was not bringing Lavia on for the booked Elyounessi at 1-1.

Tactically inept IMO, it wasn’t whether it was Armstrong or Lavia or Mara, whatever…it was the fact we went from pressing as a back 4, to going back to a back 5, which didn’t work for the first half. We changed back to a 5 and they pushed 30 yards up the pitch, 3 times we’ve gone to a 5 and been appalling. How many more times does he want to try it. Ffs 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Taxtically inept IMO, it wasn’t whether it was Armstrong or Lavia or Mara, whatever…it was the fact we went from pressing as a back 4, to going back to a back 5, which didn’t work for the first half. We changed back to a 5 and they pushed 30 yards up the pitch, 3 times we’ve gone to a 5 and been appalling. How many more times does he want to try it. Ffs 

Perraud certainly initially was playing the same role as Edozie, hence why he had the chance on goal.

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

The Edozie sub was problem too negative 

if Perraud had scored when he broke, cut inside leaving the defender on the floor only stopped by a second tracking back, would you have said the same thing?

For me it was more tired legs and Fulham fighting back that saw us lose momentum. But if you want to blame NJ for the defeat that's your choice.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Jones will be sacked if we lose to Forest imo

and how have we done against teams that are in our mini league? and yes Fulham are in there they are just having one of those seasons tbf,tell you, we dont do well against teams we need to get results from thats what.

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Perraud certainly initially was playing the same role as Edozie, hence why he had the chance on goal.

That's what I thought.

I know its a lost cause trying to defend NJ on here, and he may well be the total useless bastard most are saying, but the players have to take responsibility for the defeat today I think.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's not what I'm arguing here is it? I'm simply saying he isn't sh1t. There's a world of difference between being sh1t and not being the finished product. His distribution, whilst not being perfect however is a huge upgrade on Forster or McCarthy.

He is shit. No excuse for the goal conceded against Lincoln. No excuse for the first Brighton goal. A better keeper saves them. 

21 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

I think this side would even struggle in the championship.

It will.  That's where we are destined this year, but I'm quite comfortable that we will not be there for long.  This club is in a complete and utter mess, we'll struggle to stay in the championship. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Micky said:

It will.  That's where we are destined this year, but I'm quite comfortable that we will not be there for long.  This club is in a complete and utter mess, we'll struggle to stay in the championship. 

let's deal with one nightmare at a time.

Adams is a problem, every time he is one on one with the keeper he loses it and hits it straight at the keeper who knew what he would do. No feint to shoot, No move it sideways, no taking it closer then dinking it over nothing but hit it at the keeper. The worst thing for me he is no better now than the day he arrived. He should be doing all those things as appropriate but never does. So much for coaching. I get the feeling there are no proper basic coaches who coach technique to the first team. 

Edited by derry

Just now, Chez said:

let's deal with one nightmare at a time.

This nightmares done.  There is no real fight or quality in what we can put on the pitch, we are going out without so much as a whimper.  The championship is no place for players like ours. 

4 minutes ago, derry said:

Adams is a problem, every time he is one on one with the keeper he loses it and hits it straight at the keeper who knew what he would do. No feint to shoot, No move it sideways, no taking it closer then dinking it over nothing but hit it at the keeper. The worst thing for me he is no better now than the day he arrived. He should be doing all those things as appropriate but never does. o much for coaching. I get the feeling there no proper basic coaches who coach technique to the first team. 

To me the Aams problem is how he is the only option, given how bad the other striker signings have worked out and the failure to recruit in the summer. He's stready attacker who will score some chances but he's never going to be lethal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, derry said:

Adams is a problem, every time he is one on one with the keeper he loses it and hits it straight at the keeper who knew what he would do. No feint to shoot, No move it sideways, no taking it closer then dinking it over nothing but hit it at the keeper. The worst thing for me he is no better now than the day he arrived. He should be doing all those things as appropriate but never does. o much for coaching. I get the feeling there no proper basic coaches who coach technique to the first team. 

he simply isn't top class. For an average side that doesn't create hundreds of guilt edge chances, that is a massive problem. It was good keeping to be fair, but the very best strikers take them out of the equation. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

I wonder do the board ever think ’We’ve signed a bloke that Stoke fans considered there worst manager in recent history...& it doesn’t appear to be working?’

I've said in the Jones thread he was bloody useless for us , however today I thought the best team lost.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Rubbish IMO. Salisu was left back, and did an ok job there, Edozie was left of a front 3. Perraud came on, Salisu tucked in and Perraud went LWB. We were then all over the place and gave them so much more space. It’s so infuriating, 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

Bit harsh.

Whatever he did after Brighton, he got the side up for the fight, seemed to set them up well. Not sure NJ can take the blame for that defeat.

He absolutely can unfortunately. His decision at 1-1 and the Edozie injury cost us the game, no getting away from it. 

So trying to put some positivity out there as we head towards the New Year:

• First time in a long time I thought we were actually the better team
  • The players were playing for the manager...first glimpses of green shoots?
  • JWP played well and scored a great goal
  • The Saints fans at the game sounded louder than Fulham's and were behind the team
  • We're not completely cut adrift yet
  • 3pts against Forest now imperative - better than two draws we might have played for if we'd drawn?
  • Lyanco unequivocally exposed for the liability he is 
  • KWP getting game time in
  • Lavia, just possibly fit and not going to Chelsea
  • Ely actually played well
  • S Armstrong must surely have shown why he can't be left on the bench
  • Edozie is good
  • Tino still to come back
  • SR's hand forced to invest tomorrow
  • It's a New year and we'll start 2023 undefeated!

If you don't laugh, you'll cry...

Edited by Vancouver Saint
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He absolutely can unfortunately. His decision at 1-1 and the Edozie injury cost us the game, no getting away from it. 

I don't agree. Che scores, Edozie scores, better defending on the set pieces and maybe we win.

NJ set us up well, adjusted correctly, got us fighting, took Aribo off for underperforming. He contributed to some good things today. 

It matters not. Until we win games its going to be impossible to defend him and I'm not going to be the one to do that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

The players think Nathan Jones is a complete knob. Fact! 

Haha, I happen to know for a FACT that the complete opposite of this is true.
I'm not happy at all with how things are going (not that I blame Jones after 3 games with a team he inherited and no transfers in or out yet), but... that doesn't mean things like the above should be said with no truth.
Yes it's early days, but I know for a fact that the players have really warmed to him so far and like him a lot (he's very likeable apparently and quite different to his onscreen persona), training has been 'fun again', things being freshened up has been really welcome after a long stale period, etc.
Of course this could change if results continue to be poor, but he is very well liked (so far) within the squad and wider backroom.
Horses Mouth x 2 = Senior Director & Sports Scientist.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 8

• Lighthouse changed the title to Fulham 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic