Saints Kits Season 2023/24

Master Bates

I thought this design was the one that many fans would have liked to see reinvented in the various kit threads over the years. I like it.

Wondering if the Goalies shirt is more Naval Dazzle camouflage than St Marys stained glass window "err where exactly is their keeper standing!?" 

Amazed that you can pop along to the store and buy it right now and not 5 minutes before the season kicks off, as has happened for about the last 10 seasons or more.

After a good start in their first year, Hummel are churning out some hideous kits for us. I really miss seeing Saints play in proper, simple red and white stripes. Far too much mucking around and just because we wore this vile design once 30 odd years ago doesn't make it traditional.

Only positive I can say is it's better than last year's kit.

Oh and at least it looks like the back isn't plain.

Edited by LuckyNumber7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sussex_saint said:

Ward Prowse in kit... Surely that means there hasn't been a deal made yet. The club wouldn't hype everyone up with him in the promo if he was leaving right? Right...?

Not it means no-one has agreed to pay his 52m fee yet. 
At moment he is captain so you have him modelling it !

This means nothing and when in last week we drop his fee to 20m and sell him this will all be what it is nothing.

47 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I thought this design was the one that many fans would have liked to see reinvented in the various kit threads over the years. I like it.

Wondering if the Goalies shirt is more Naval Dazzle camouflage than St Marys stained glass window "err where exactly is their keeper standing!?" 

Amazed that you can pop along to the store and buy it right now and not 5 minutes before the season kicks off, as has happened for about the last 10 seasons or more.

£65 mind… bloody steep. 

20 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Not it means no-one has agreed to pay his 52m fee yet. 
At moment he is captain so you have him modelling it !

This means nothing and when in last week we drop his fee to 20m and sell him this will all be what it is nothing.

Looks like they are putting Mara, and possibly JWP?, up on the big billboards at SMS… It’ll look daft if they both leave! 

IMG_8032.jpeg

IMG_8033.jpeg

• Like 1

Gonna get flamed for this, but...

I preferred last season's kit.

Although the 87-89 was current when I started going to the Dell, I never liked it. I thought the design worked OK for Villa and Coventry, but with ours being red, the side with the white stripes just looks pink from a distance (the back of the Milton Rd stand, for instance). Awful kit.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I'm going to offer SW11_Saint some of my HRT, it might calm him down a bit.

For those who don't like betting sponsors you can always get a Starling Bank version: I reckon that might sell out..

I’m calm, don’t worry…😉 I was just making a point that I’d prefer going back to stripes instead of another gimmicky kit. A lot of fans would I suspect. 

It's just so much worse than the original kit as well... it's not even funny. The new sleeves and the logo just trash it entirely. Absolutely horrific. Worst home kit I think I've seen us in tbh. And how did they copy the original kit and come up with something so much worse, beggers belief. 

Screenshot_20230619_144846.jpg

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Monk said:

Annoyed I never brought the relaunched retro kit back in 2021. 

That was the one to actually go and buy, I wish I'd got 2 as it clear whoever signs off our kits now has horrific taste 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suewhistle said:

I'm going to offer SW11_Saint some of my HRT, it might calm him down a bit.

For those who don't like betting sponsors you can always get a Starling Bank version: I reckon that might sell out..

It’s just for girls 

4 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

After a good start in their first year, Hummel are churning out some hideous kits for us. I really miss seeing Saints play in proper, simple red and white stripes. Far too much mucking around and just because we wore this vile design once 30 odd years ago doesn't make it traditional.

Summed up perfectly!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Feels like we’ve very much lost our way with identity. It’s good to have a special kit once every few years but we’ve given up the red and white stripes, whilst others such as sheffield united and brentford embrace them in the prem. B*stards.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Feels like we’ve very much lost our way with identity. It’s good to have a special kit once every few years but we’ve given up the red and white stripes, whilst others such as sheffield united and brentford embrace them in the prem. B*stards.

Exactly the point I have been trying to make. Seems a lot of the (presumably) younger crew don’t really give a shit about upholding tradition - they just want ‘new shiny things’ every year, regardless of whether well designed or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SW11_Saint said:

Exactly the point I have been trying to make. Seems a lot of the (presumably) younger crew don’t really give a shit about upholding tradition - they just want ‘new shiny things’ every year, regardless of whether well designed or not. 

We didn't have a striped shirt for nearly the whole of the 80's, from me being 10 to 19, so it's upholding tradition for this 52 year old.

• Like 6

One thing that doesn’t help with the shirt is that the one used in the revealed are never tailored to the player and they look baggy and a bit crap, especially on someone as slight as Prowsey. Looks better on the store mannequins.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

We didn't have a striped shirt for nearly the whole of the 80's, from me being 10 to 19, so it's upholding tradition for this 52 year old.

Indeed. Understandable that the youngsters aren’t a fan of this new kit as it won’t scream Southampton to them, but they’ll get over it. 

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Though in those days we kept kits for about 3-4 season stretches so probably only had about 4 kits in the whole of the 80s…

41 minutes ago, Sussex_saint said:

Bloody hell some people here are moaners - it's a decent kit. It's very different from recent ones, perhaps showing SR want to forget the previous few seasons and move on. I welcome the change! 

I think what happens on the pitch is a better barometer of that! 

26 minutes ago, ButtikonSaint said:

A bit too busy / pyjama looking for my liking, however I get the nod to the past...
Mind you, would have preferred if they'd taken inspiration from our 89/90 kit

ROD%2BWALLACE%2BSouthampton%2B1989-90.JPG

Overly fussy shorts, but a great kit 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Normally a player in a kit unveiling means they’re staying. Interesting that it’s JWP and Mara. Two players I would be supportive of staying.

Or, it’s a case of if JWP wasn’t in it we’d all know that he was obviously leaving.

It might be more a case of we haven't worked out who's leaving so put it on JWP. And who knows? Maybe our guys will play hardball on their initial valuation otherwise he could stay. Think Mara will be staying as he's also on the billboard.

Lord knows why people are dying for a 'simple' striped red and white. Surely we all know our kits over time haven't always been the 'simple red and white stripes'?

Be fucking boring if it were red and white stripes every year.

Really like this year's home kit design. Plus, it does have red and white stripes! It is 'traditional' in the sense that our kits have traditionally been quite diverse! We're essentially just reliving some retro kits with the last two years' home kits. I'm certainly not complaining!

Reckon this home kit will sell well. I'll certainly buy one.

I like the kit. The sponsor looks a bit naff but then all sponsors do these days (clubs should sell unsponsored shirts, they seem to do this abroad). Overall it’s a good nod to the old 87-89 kit. We’ll done Saints and Hummel, decent choice. 

I thought last season’s home top was awful, but when we wore at (I think) Chelsea and donned it with white shorts and black socks it looked absolutely great. Should’ve done that all season, I think it would be remembered in a better light.

• Like 1

And for those saying “other big clubs don’t do this type of thing with their shirts”, have a look at what Barcelona have done over the past 40 years. One of, if not the most iconic club in the world. A history of stripes, halves, inverse Ajax, almost plain, even hoops. I wonder if their forum has this much squinnying about a lack of tradition because they don’t have standard stripes in any particular year.

IMG-1589.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

And for those saying “other big clubs don’t do this type of thing with their shirts”, have a look at what Barcelona have done over the past 40 years. One of, if not the most iconic club in the world. A history of stripes, halves, inverse Ajax, almost plain, even hoops. I wonder if their forum has this much squinnying about a lack of tradition because they don’t have standard stripes in any particular year.

IMG-1589.jpg

Of the ‘mega clubs’ they’re the exception that proves the rule. 

That said, they do it incredibly well - quick tot up from your graphic they have stripes 60+% of the time and tend to alternate between traditional and experimental, which is all that I and others would prefer. Their ‘experimental’ ones always tend to be high quality designs though. 

Only one I really didn’t like was the ‘hoop’ design. 

40 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Lord knows why people are dying for a 'simple' striped red and white. Surely we all know our kits over time haven't always been the 'simple red and white stripes'?

Be fucking boring if it were red and white stripes every year.

Really like this year's home kit design. Plus, it does have red and white stripes! It is 'traditional' in the sense that our kits have traditionally been quite diverse! We're essentially just reliving some retro kits with the last two years' home kits. I'm certainly not complaining!

Reckon this home kit will sell well. I'll certainly buy one.

Because I like a simple striped Saints shirt. They look good. Hope that helps. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

That said, they do it incredibly well - quick tot up from your graphic they have stripes 60+% of the time and tend to alternate between traditional and experimental, which is all that I and others would prefer. Their ‘experimental’ ones always tend to be high quality designs though. 

We’re basically having a second year in a row of “experimental” which seems to be your main problem. Prior to that in recent seasons we’ve alternated year by year. Seems like you’d have been happy with this kit if it was next year and there was a season of stripes in between? For me it doesn’t matter, the 80s we’re almost exclusively non stripes and as long as the kit is red and white, has a nod to our history (which stripes, sash, xerox, halves, quarters etc all do), and it’s not utterly shit, then it’s alright with me.

Bayern Munich are another huge side who have changed their home kit loads: plain red, red and blue stripes, red and white stripes amongst them. So Barca aren’t an exception, I’m sure there’s plenty who mix it up.

IMG-1590.jpg

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1