Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

1 minute ago, Appy said:

Lyanco was yet again an absolute liability. How have we dropped so far that he was the first name on the team sheet? 

Awful player. 

Enthusiastic but he's no good is he,  fair play for giving it a go, I remember seeing his debut getting bullied by Oli McBurnie , we could do better. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Appy said:

Lyanco was yet again an absolute liability. How have we dropped so far that he was the first name on the team sheet? 

Awful player. 

How many times is he going to get caught trying to nick the ball in the front of the attacker. Lucky the Joelinton goal was ruled out. Too eager when he should just give up the possession as the attacker is facing away from goal. Need ABK back soon and hopefully between him, DCC and Salisu we find something (with Bednarek a fourth option who is hopefully never called upon)

1 hour ago, BotleySaint said:

Unfortunately I missed the whole game due to other commitments.

Did Orsic look ok first half or as terrible as Ely?

Worse than Ely. Total non entity. He ain't saving us that's for sure. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Lets be honest if Newcastle took there chances we would have got stuffed !Played ok in patches but why no Perraud ? . No threat witnout two fullbacks in my opinion .Alcaraz looks really good though but we need a striker ASAP !

Was saying the same thing. Salisu is not a left back. Orsic was isolated, but if Persaud played, he would have added more support on the overlap. 
strange Nathan didn’t see that.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Appy said:

Awful player. 

He really is a terrible player, isn’t he. 

He’s only in the squad because of the way Jones wants to play, in that he can hit long diagonals, slighter better than anyone else… they’re still fucking terrible.

• Like 1

Got to say I was impressed by Mara. Absolutely no idea why he was taken off. Che was a massive step down.

Diallo had a very good game, finally showing some defensive capability and some pace too. 

Alcarez can play. Give whoever scouted him the keys to war chest.

Djenepo is clueless. Orsic looked out of his depth.

Armstrong actually looks on his game. He starts with Mara and Edozie for me.

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

How many times is he going to get caught trying to nick the ball in the front of the attacker. Lucky the Joelinton goal was ruled out. Too eager when he should just give up the possession as the attacker is facing away from goal. Need ABK back soon and hopefully between him, DCC and Salisu we find something (with Bednarek a fourth option who is hopefully never called upon)

And as these 3 have proved this season, they're all prone to a brain fart during the game where we'll inevitably end up conceding. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Was saying the same thing. Salisu is not a left back. Orsic was isolated, but if Persaud played, he would have added more support on the overlap. 
strange Nathan didn’t see that.

Perraud is too slow, too short and too limited. 

First half was awful, little to no quality in the team and Newcastle ballooned a few shots over and had a goal disallowed. Second half was much better, we actually gave them a game in the second half up until the disallowed goal. Like Saturday, the disallowed goal killed all of our momentum, but you would say tonight's was more rightly chalked off. They did also bring a £70m forward off their bench, who proved to be the difference.

One good, one bad on the new signings. Alcaraz looked real good for just 20. Lost the ball a few times, but is always looking to try something. Had a good shot and played Adams through, two potential match winning plays, which we don't have a lot of in the squad. Worried me when he got the early booking, but maintained his head. We definitely need to play through him more going forward. In the first half he wasn't as effective as a lot of our balls were long, aimless and going over him.

Orsic produced his best Elyounoussi impression. Played like a player who's used to having all the time in the world when on the ball, which I guess he is at 30 and playing in uncompetitive leagues all his career. Needs to learn the pace of English football quickly, but then I was also surprised by his lack of pace alongside his poor ball control when he did get one of his few touches. Adam Armstrong and Edozie in comparison were a lot better and threatened Newcastle a bit more.

Everyone's become a Newcastle fan all of a sudden, but it's only 1-0 and it would be sweet to be waving goodbye to Jacob Murphy, who's a horrendous footballer anyway after dumping them out of the cup next week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Got to say I was impressed by Mara. Absolutely no idea why he was taken off. Che was a massive step down.

Diallo had a very good game, finally showing some defensive capability and some pace too. 

Agree on all front here, saves me typing the same 👍🏼

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

We’re a better team when Adams doesn’t play. 

his hold up play slows us down, we’re more effective on the counter without him. Not sure Mara is the answer but I’d give him a go for a few games. 

We cannot afford to allow Adams to waste opportunities time and time again. One of the biggest reasons why we’re going down this season. 

• Like 8

We played like were against a world beating side. Shitting our pants from the off. Yeah Newcastle doing well this season but there's nobody in their line up that stands out. Maybe Howe is a good manager after all? Also our disallowed goal yeah maybe it touched Armstrong's hand but it only touched it because he was getting taken out at the same time. Blatant pen but not even considered. And who wanted caleta car to nut that little prick goading him when he was sent off? Don't even know his name just looked like a little prick acting big boy because he had his mates around him

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Hes definitely not slow, hes also the same height as KWP and hes scored more than KWP this season. Have another go 😂

He is incredibly slow. If you've not noticed that yet, you don't have a clue.

Too small for Jones, who needs some height at the back to make up for lack of it elsewhere. why do you think we are playing 3 CBs?

He couldn't lace kwp's boots. 

Have another go.

Edited by Chez
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

his hold up play slows us down, we’re more effective on the counter without him. Not sure Mara is the answer but I’d give him a go for a few games. 

We cannot afford to allow Adams to waste opportunities time and time again. One of the biggest reasons why we’re going down this season. 

Not sure if Mara is the answer, but he looked a real handful tonight. If that's the norm, we have a proper player. Hopefully it wasn't a one off. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

We played like were against a world beating side. Shitting our pants from the off. Yeah Newcastle doing well this season but there's nobody in their line up that stands out. Maybe Howe is a good manager after all? Also our disallowed goal yeah maybe it touched Armstrong's hand but it only touched it because he was getting taken out at the same time. Blatant pen but not even considered. And who wanted caleta car to nut that little prick goading him when he was sent off? Don't even know his name just looked like a little prick acting big boy because he had his mates around him

They looked a top quality side in great form to me. We were lucky not to be several goals down before we found out feet. Isak is a class act and they looked excellent in midfield. Durant mean we can't beat them though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

I do think Mara has earned the chance to play a few games to show what he can do, and I feel a front 3 of Armstrong (A), Mara and Edozie would be our best, and have been responsible for some of our better attacking performances in the last few weeks. Orsic can come on a sub for whichever has run themselves into the ground during the second half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Not sure if Mara is the answer, but he looked a real handful tonight. If that's the norm, we have a proper player. Hopefully it wasn't a one off. 

I think Mara has a very bright future but he is not anywhere near to being he finished product. Got to hope he's a quick learner because I see real talent there.

Just now, SambaMaverick said:

If Saint-Maximin plays in the second leg, we're fucked.

It frustrates me that our scouts haven't managed to pick up a player like that. Newcastle got him for £15m a few years ago (when they were circling the drain themselves), yet we spunked £15m on an horrendous Moussa.

Our scouting over the last 5-6 years has been nothing short of a disgrace.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It frustrates me that our scouts haven't managed to pick up a player like that. Newcastle got him for £15m a few years ago (when they were circling the drain themselves), yet we spunked £15m on an horrendous Moussa.

Our scouting over the last 5-6 years has been nothing short of a disgrace.

Yep, Leeds now bring in someone like Gnonto too, been crying out for someone like that since 2016. 

Far far better performance than our last semi final “effort”, when we minced around against Leicester. We’re more aggressive now and move the ball quicker. Some promising signs. The new lad was excellent, Diallo had his best game in a Saints shirt & Mara showed some promise. The other new bloke struggled against Trippier & the physicality, & Lyanco was Lyanco. They’re a really decent side and we got in amongst them properly for spells. 

Some of our fans are fucking idiots one minute moaning about long balls, the next playing out from the back, and although the keeper is pony, there’s no need to get on his back. Perhaps some near me didn’t realise it was two legs but shouting about hurrying up & get it forward in injury time was ridiculous. Down to 10 we were clearly shot and pushing for an equaliser would only result in one thing, a 2 or 3 defeat. There’s a tiny chance they’ll be too complacent & we’ll pinch a 1-0 up there before winning on pens. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Too small for Jones, who needs some height at the back to make up for lack of it elsewhere. why do you think we are playing 3 CBs?

Have another go.

Holy fuck lol

How does he need height at the back to make up for it elsewhere, when hes playing KWP in the same defence? You need to ask NJ why hes playing CBs at fullback but Perraud has played in quite a number of games under NJ, including the win over Palace so the height issue is hardly the be all and end all.

I agree hes not as good a player as KWP, but hes still scored more goals than our marauding, can do no wrong, super KWP. In fact, hes our third top scorer and also has two assists in only 12 PL starts this season. Four goal contributions in a team thats only scored 17 goals all season, not bad for a limited, slow, short full back.

Just admit you dont like him because hes French 🐸

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

Well all of that, well said.. Lyanco decided to have a shit game. He just about works at right back, but not in the centre.

Agree on Mara, showing some class now. Adams less so. His link up play is good but just cannot finish. A striker has to be bought or we play the youngsters and hope for the best.

Not out if it, tough game up there but the midfield is looking better.

People slagging off perraud like he shouldn't be anywhere near our team🙄. He's our only real left back and give him a bit of slack our best games have been with him in the side. Was looking forward to seeing orsic start tonight but when he's got salisu behind him at left back offering no threat of going forward he is bound to be isolated. We have proved in the past you don't have to have the best players just players that link well make the world of difference. Remember chrissy Marsden football genius played out of his skin on the left with bridge not because he was an actual genius it was because they worked well together. But saying that over the years we have had some quality strikers that we've not had since pelle and he got some shit. But we have all seen enough of Adams. I don't hate him but he's not a striker. Almost think he would be better as a holding midfielder. Bit of muscle in the middle of pitch, win the ball and give it to somebody who can actually kick a football 

• Like 3

Few more tickets put on sale in block H taking allocation to nearly 3000 for away leg,  sell those and its an excellent following in my book, hell of a way on a Tuesday night in January when we're bottom of the league and no one is giving us a chance. As we heard the away end tonight they are all set for Wembley we're just irrelevant , let's give it a go 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Have another go.

You voiced your negative opinion of him shortly after he arrived, and you've felt the need to do it again and again and again in your torrent of posts. It's like you have this need to prove yourself right all the time. Give it a rest.

Perraud is actually not "incredibly slow" - he's quite fast and skillful getting forward but his big problem is that he's infuriatingly slow getting back. That's coachable because you can't be fast heading north and slow heading south.

His value to me is that he's a left-footed LB, which gives us some defensive balance. We didn't have that today, which caused Salisu to be heroic in covering acres of space. Oršić gave him virtually no help at all. Extremely disappointing.

My fear is that we will not turn the corner until Jones plays a regular back four, powers-up in midfield, and gets the ball forward faster. But I don't think he will because he's besotted with playing three central defenders. And then, to make matters worse, he wants Bazunu to play it out to them even when they're ill-placed to receive it. If we're lucky, they scramble it back to him, and then he does what he should have done in the first place if the pass isn't on - hit it long.

13 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Anyone surprised that Pope wasn't penalized for charging out and going through Djenepo.

No doubt Baz would have got a red for that...

It was unbelievable. I think one of the bell ends commentating said djenepo probably has whiplash but it was just a competitive challenge. Fuck me he pole axed him and not even a free kick. Hate the prem refs, hate the corruption bring on relegation so I don't get the anger evey week. Not just about losing but the way it happens. Can't these pricks go back to their euro super League idea and fuck off? Take the refs with them not one would be missed

• Like 4

The Newcastle players celebrating with their supporters at the end. They think they’re through. I trust that hasn’t gone unnoticed by Saints’ players and coaches. It’s only half time. Better teams than Newcastle have fucked up when the pressures on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graffito said:

The Newcastle players celebrating with their supporters at the end. They think they’re through. I trust that hasn’t gone unnoticed by Saints’ players and coaches. It’s only half time. Better teams than Newcastle have fucked up when the pressures on.

They are all but through. You know it, I know it, their fans know it

7 hours ago, kevdoh said:

And who wanted caleta car to nut that little prick goading him when he was sent off? Don't even know his name just looked like a little prick acting big boy because he had his mates around him

I'm sure he was chomping but you have to admire his self control, I'm in my sixties but I still wouldn't have been able to stop myself steaming in.

6 hours ago, JRM said:

Few more tickets put on sale in block H taking allocation to nearly 3000 for away leg,  sell those and its an excellent following in my book, hell of a way on a Tuesday night in January when we're bottom of the league and no one is giving us a chance. As we heard the away end tonight they are all set for Wembley we're just irrelevant , let's give it a go 

We just need one of these and take our chances with pens - to dump them out now would be the sweetest thing

never a wrong time to show this, belief, football's a funny ol' game

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Holy fuck lol

How does he need height at the back to make up for it elsewhere, when hes playing KWP in the same defence? You need to ask NJ why hes playing CBs at fullback but Perraud has played in quite a number of games under NJ, including the win over Palace so the height issue is hardly the be all and end all.

I agree hes not as good a player as KWP, but hes still scored more goals than our marauding, can do no wrong, super KWP. In fact, hes our third top scorer and also has two assists in only 12 PL starts this season. Four goal contributions in a team thats only scored 17 goals all season, not bad for a limited, slow, short full back.

Just admit you dont like him because hes French 🐸

Lol? What are you, like 12?

You are absolutely right, height is not the be all at fullback, especially if you have other qualities. Ah. I'll rephrase, he's too small for Jones. He says we need extra height (because the team is full of non heading midgets). 

Bednarek scored 4 goals last season. I rest my case. 

I like him. He tries hard. But he is not of a good enough standard to elevate our game. He's cover at best.

We're a poor side playing a poor brand of football.

Positives- Alcaraz had a promising debut, JWP, KWP did well, Arma made an impact when he came on. Dare i say it but i thought Diallo was okay defensively (albeit wasteful offensively). The players attitude was good, they were clearly trying for the shirt.

Negatives- simply we have too many players who are just not up to it. For example, Djenepo was dreadful, Lyanco was an accident waiting to happen. Adams...another big chance. Players like these and others we have would simply not get in another premier league side.

Its a good job that Jones is a successful championship manager because we play like one.

We are obviously asked to get the ball forward quickly and dont prioritise possession which is fine if you do it with quality. We dont, which creates a highly transitional, chaotic game. Probably the reason why our back 4 were all booked and got red card as we're always scrambling as we have no control. We're always under pressure because we have no controlled possession. No other teams in the premier league are successful playing this way.

Our pressing isnt co-ordinated and is ineffective. No patterns going forward other than long balls and diagonals and hoping for a 2nd ball by being 'aggressive'. We're a mess in transition offensively and defensively and thats down to coaching. Look at the impact other new managers have made given similar amounts of time (tbf they have better squads to work with)

Jones said how good we were, well i guess he has to but i didnt see any evidence of that tonight. Didnt expect to win tonight but more concerning to me is that i have no hope that we will be successful in the prem playing like this.

Edited by Snwilliams10
  • Like 4