Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

4 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game 

Lol mate I watched since the minute 19 and my eyes only followed him the entire match. And not gonna lie I was the entire first half asking me what the fuck i was doing watching this. But at least second half got more interesting.

2 minutes ago, Ekelund said:

Our best player tonight I thought. Maybe that says more about where we’re at? Lots of promise 

Yes I thought that but I didnt want it to write it because i dont want to sound disrepectful, so now that you said it i guess i can say it: yeah maybe your team right now it's super shitty and you see a guy that does kinda decent and you're blowminded. Anyway those are good news tho, if you like him on this state, then when he's more adapted, their partners trust more into him and goes into a more offensive zone of the field, you guys are gonna make a line to suck his cock. No offense lol.

Alright i think that's my limit messages per this day. I dont have much to say tho. Newcastle seemed pretty average to me, are really this guys the new toy of the arabs? Kinda scam right now. Good luck in the rematch (idk if thats how its called).

stknowle, aahh damn i didnt get it, I must be losing some good joke there 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Mara looked like he had plenty left him when he was substituted. 4 minutes later the golden chance for us falls to Che, say no more, so fucking obvious.  I couldn’t give 2 shits if Che’s hold up play is “good”, that’s a basic forward quality that you see up and down the leagues. In fact, even Che’s hold up play was sub standard tonight.

I was disappointed when Mara went off. Looked really lively.

• Like 8

Alcaraz was great. Wrongly worried after the Everton cameo. Can’t say the same for Orsic but hopefully he adaps quickly.

Che Adams, reasonable hold up play or whatever, will be a major factor in our failings this season. The guy is a terrible striker. We flirted with danger at the back post all game until it finally did us in. Also, fuck the police at half time in the Northam, getting worse every week.

Last train back home cancelled just to top it all off.

• Like 1

I still don't understand our tactics or gameplan still looks like it's lacking cohesion and fluidity.... 

Djenepo like someone said earlier looks like the man plays with clown shoes on. I don't even think he knows what he is trying to do half the time.... 🤣🤣

Adams is our clinical striker Jesus wept I'm sorry but he is abysmal. Needs about 10 chances to finish one..... bottles it everytime 

KWP 2nd half decent! 

Mara you can tell has technical ability but I don't think  he is ready at this level we shouldn't be relying on him as a lone striker.....

And the above the problem and unless we resolve it quickly we will be relegated....

Sports Republic 

You daft clunts 

20 - 30 million on table buy a striker that can finish 

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought we were very lucky it was only 0-1, Newcastle had at least 2 additional clear cut chances whilst we only had one.

We had a period in the second half where we got on the ball and started moving it a bit, but that was pretty much it. The rest of the game was almost exclusively controlled by Newcastle and played at the pace they wanted it played at, we couldn’t get on the ball as they didn’t allow us the time on it.

Orsic looked like a rabbit in headlights out there, not entirely sure why he was so bad. It was like playing with 10 men. Salisu had almost zero defensive cover for the entirety of the time he was on the pitch.

Diallo read the game well and broke it up, but his passing and distribution is simply not good enough for any level of football and that’s why he can’t be starting for us. An accident waiting to happen.

The defenders were both a bit calamitous tonight, DCC was poor on the goal – got too tight to a player who is 110% faster than him, and it was obvious what Isak was going to do. Braindead. The sending off was a case of taking one for the team, but he really didn’t have a good game. Lyanco just plays on the edge all the time, there’s nothing composed about his game. He creates chaos when he plays at CB and it panics everyone else.

Decent shouts for Alcaraz who I thought was very smart for at least 60mins, playing deeper than I’d play him though – but he has a good touch, good agility, moves the ball quickly. The ball through to Adams was delightful. Equally KWP had a decent second half, Salisu had a good game at LB, Armstrong made an impact when he came on. Mara held the ball up well and brought others into play, but never looked like scoring himself.

It's plainly obvious that we just don’t have enough quality in the final third of the team to really trouble anyone, it’s painful watching Adams miss almost identical chances every week. When we do somehow create an opportunity you know Adams will miss it, it even looked like he believed he'd miss that. The faith we show in him as a ‘number 9’ is entirely misguided and is used to cover up a shocking lack of scouting ability to find someone better over a period of 18 months. if we don't get a free kick on the edge of the box for JWP to score then we are pretty much nailed on to lose the game as we have no other threat.

At least it’s only 0-1, the only positive I can take overall.

Excellent summary. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I'm a glass half full kinda guy. We're up against a team costing 2x + ours. And we battled them all the way.  This is still close enough for next week to be exciting.  Diallo showed promise for pretty much the first time. Alcaraz is going to be a superstar for us.  Adam A is the new Shane Long on steroids. Salisu is world class.  With Livramento and Lavia fully fit, we have a fantastic team.  

Fuck me this is the most worrying post I have read this year. Actually sorry I have just reread it and now realise you are taking the piss. Sorry again for being so stupid 

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I still don't understand our tactics or gameplan still looks like it's lacking cohesion and fluidity.... 

Djenepo like someone said earlier looks like the man plays with clown shoes on. I don't even think he knows what he is trying to do half the time.... 🤣🤣

Adams is our clinical striker Jesus wept I'm sorry but he is abysmal. Needs about 10 chances to finish one..... bottles it everytime 

KWP 2nd half decent! 

Mara you can tell has technical ability but I don't think  he is ready at this level we shouldn't be relying on him as a lone striker.....

And the above the problem and unless we resolve it quickly we will be relegated....

Sports Republic 

You daft clunts 

20 - 30 million on table buy a striker that can finish 

Nathan shouldn't you be doing interviews not posting ?

• Haha 1

What to make of that? Second half was a lot better - yet we still looked a bit of a rabble that weren't sure what they were doing, and Newcastle scored, and missed three sitters. We could've been on the end of a hiding in spite of seemingly doing all right. 

Armstrong's handball was as bad a fluffed chance as Adams' earlier miss. It was a tap in. The only reason it bounced into his hand was because he fucked up the shot. Shame - Armstrong was actually one of our better players tonight. 

Don't know where we go from here. We're terrible in front of goal and always liable to concede.

And the manager's on TV now doing a fucking lap of honour, bollocking on about how proud he was with our performance...

"We are so close to being a good side. So close."

If it wasn't for all the losing, eh?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Alcaraz was great. Wrongly worried after the Everton cameo. Can’t say the same for Orsic but hopefully he adaps quickly.

Che Adams, reasonable hold up play or whatever, will be a major factor in our failings this season. The guy is a terrible striker. We flirted with danger at the back post all game until it finally did us in. Also, fuck the police at half time in the Northam, getting worse every week.

Last train back home cancelled just to top it all off.

What did the coppers do, I couldn’t see from the kingsland, when there was some Geordie in there?

One thing I noticed was JWP didn’t take one of the corners. It resulted in a (very weak) shot on target. He took the next one. Went straight to the keeper. It’s not JWP bashing. Just thought it was interesting that we may looking to shuffle the pack a bit with indirect set pieces. 

Well I watched it from the last 5 mins of the first half through a patchy stream with no commentary. The bundled AA non-goal looked like a goal to me without the benefit of VAR slo-mo replays. What has happened to the unwritten rule about not re-referreeing games FFS?...oh yes, forgot, that only applies when it's not disadvantaging the bigger clubs, where it's based on an instant dial-in vote from the bigger club's fan-base. But I see others saying it was a fair call, so I'm taking it I missed something.

To be fair we should have been 0-1 down by then anyway with Joelinton skying a sitter over the bar. It was like watching us!

Thought we had some bright spots...Adam Armstrong played well I thought, Mara nice touches, Edozie pulled a great save from Pope, Alcaraz looks good but playe in too defensive a position (switch him and JWP's roles I agree). 

Downsides...Orsic invisible, DCC's lack of pace hugely exposed (and why he's not the greatest IMHO...don't rate him as highly as many on here do) no real shape or identity...just lots of energy...pashun...as if guile and composure (and a decent finish!) was banned. Missed the Adams miss, no surprises. Stupid red card from DCC but good that he'll miss the return game so we can expose just how crap Bednerak is again.

Don't understand the interest in staying in this competition. I just see it as a huge distracting side-show with the ability to pick up more injuries and exhaust a weak squad before more important league games. Was hoping we'd concede a second at the end to make the return trip even more futile than it is already.

If Saints pull off an amazing turnaround at St James's to win the tie I'll be delighted to eat my words, but seriously, what a waste of time.

Let's focus on the league.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mixedkebab said:

What did the coppers do, I couldn’t see from the kingsland, when there was some Geordie in there?

From what I saw there were Newcastle and Saints fans having it off over the barrier as per every week, then a Saints fan got knocked down a step into a copper and then 30 of them were needed to kick him out the ground.

Just now, Vancouver Saint said:

Well I watched it from the last 5 mins of the first half through a patchy stream with no commentary. The bundled AA non-goal looked like a goal to me without the benefit of VAR slo-mo replays. What has happened to the unwritten rule about not re-referreeing games FFS?...oh yes, forgot, that only applies when it's not disadvantaging the bigger clubs, where it's based on an instant dial-in vote from the bigger club's fan-base. But I see others saying it was a fair call, so I'm taking it I missed something.

Don't understand the interest in staying in this competition. I just see it as a huge distracting side-show with the ability to pick up more injuries and exhaust a weak squad before more important league games. Was hoping we'd concede a second at the end to make the return trip even more futile than it is already.

There is no rule advantaging the bigger clubs, don't be so silly. It was a clear disallowed goal for me, hit his hand because he was inept enough to cockup the shot in the first place. Re-watch it, it's obvious and VAR was never going to let that stand.

Don't understand the interest of winning a competition? ''Focus on staying in the league'' - sod that, we're down anyway - let's try and win something for a change and have something to cheer, as supporting this club over the last 6 years has been truly soul destroying in the main

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

To be fair we should have been 0-1 down by then anyway with Joelinton skying a sitter over the bar. It was like watching us!

Thought we had some bright spots...Adam Armstrong played well I thought, Mara nice touches, Edozie pulled a great save from Pope, Alcaraz looks good but playe in too defensive a position (switch him and JWP's roles I agree). 

Downsides...Orsic invisible, DCC's lack of pace hugely exposed (and why he's not the greatest IMHO...don't rate him as highly as many on here do) no real shape or identity...just lots of energy...pashun...as if guile and composure (and a decent finish!) was banned. Missed the Adams miss, no surprises. Stupid red card from DCC but good that he'll miss the return game so we can expose just how crap Bednerak is again.

If Saints pull off an amazing turnaround at St James's to win the tie I'll be delighted to eat my words, but seriously, what a waste of time.

Don’t get this. Winning a major trophy or getting into Europe is the best you can get if you’re not one of the big boys. However small the chance, if we won a cup it’s probably a once in a lifetime experience for a fan of a club like Saints these days.

Edited by Mixedkebab
  • Like 1

Thought there was some good performances, Alcaraz looks very good seems to have a bit of everything couple of nice through balls like the one for MR sitter to fuck up and also agile can tackle looks a class act..

diallo also very good in my opinion put in some good tackles and broke up play well. 

think Adam Armstrong still has his uses he’s very good when pressing as his speed allows him to be on the player in seconds he’s not the answer to our striking problems but I get the feel he could come good if he gets his confidence up and he does have real pace, needs through balls to run into which Alcaraz seems to have in his locker.

I second whoever said they don’t wanna see che adams play for us again,, such a brain dead clumsy oaf with zero composure ..people pointed out his scuff finishing in the YouTube vids too.. if we can see that wtf are the scouts doing..if we do get a striker (doubtful with these braindeads  in charge) composure and shooting technique over anything please .. what’s gabbi doing these days ?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

What bizarre things to say as a supporter

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

There is no rule advantaging the bigger clubs, don't be so silly. It was a clear disallowed goal for me, hit his hand because he was inept enough to cockup the shot in the first place. Re-watch it, it's obvious and VAR was never going to let that stand.

Don't understand the interest of winning a competition? ''Focus on staying in the league'' - sod that, we're down anyway - let's try and win something for a change and have something to cheer, as supporting this club over the last 6 years has been truly soul destroying in the main

Was tongue-in-cheek S-Clarke! 

But I'm serious about not being interested in winning the cup competitions this season. Not a competition, but I've been a Saints fan for 53 years (you'll relate to my warped sense of reality). I will willingly sacrifice the short-term thrill of a Cup run this year to be able to have another shot at them next year, the year after and so on. That will depend on whether we stay in the PL or not. 

It we go down, we could be a long time down...and the thrill will be winning the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

It's all about PL status for me.

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

From what I saw there were Newcastle and Saints fans having it off over the barrier as per every week, then a Saints fan got knocked down a step into a copper and then 30 of them were needed to kick him out the ground.

A Newcastle fan was giving it gobby shite until Saints fans started having a go his girlfriend joined in then loads bundled in including Saints woman at her then I couldn’t see in the melee.

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Little slip from our gaffer post match “I’m proud of myself…(stops quickly to correct himself) I’m proud of the players”  

He said something similar before the game I heard on Radio 5 "if we get to the final it would be great for me....." and then quickly mentioned the fans and the players as well.

I've heard someone who has net him say he is incredibly humble (almost can't believe he has got the job) but from what I can see he is a man with significant ego.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fed up of NJ telling us we’re hard to beat when Newcastle scored from their 5th chance from the exact same fucking move

it's just complete BS isn't it? And worryingly he seems to actually believe it.

Nathan - Newcastle are hard to beat. We most definitely are not.

You can't fix a problem until you recognise you have the problem. FFS

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

He said something similar before the game I heard on Radio 5 "if we get to the final it would be great for me....." and then quickly mentioned the fans and the players as well.

I've heard someone who has net him say he is incredibly humble (almost can't believe he has got the job) but from what I can see he is a man with significant ego.

I can't believe he got the job either

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought we were very lucky it was only 0-1, Newcastle had at least 2 additional clear cut chances whilst we only had one.

We had a period in the second half where we got on the ball and started moving it a bit, but that was pretty much it. The rest of the game was almost exclusively controlled by Newcastle and played at the pace they wanted it played at, we couldn’t get on the ball as they didn’t allow us the time on it.

Orsic looked like a rabbit in headlights out there, not entirely sure why he was so bad. It was like playing with 10 men. Salisu had almost zero defensive cover for the entirety of the time he was on the pitch.

Diallo read the game well and broke it up, but his passing and distribution is simply not good enough for any level of football and that’s why he can’t be starting for us. An accident waiting to happen.

The defenders were both a bit calamitous tonight, DCC was poor on the goal – got too tight to a player who is 110% faster than him, and it was obvious what Isak was going to do. Braindead. The sending off was a case of taking one for the team, but he really didn’t have a good game. Lyanco just plays on the edge all the time, there’s nothing composed about his game. He creates chaos when he plays at CB and it panics everyone else.

Decent shouts for Alcaraz who I thought was very smart for at least 60mins, playing deeper than I’d play him though – but he has a good touch, good agility, moves the ball quickly. The ball through to Adams was delightful. Equally KWP had a decent second half, Salisu had a good game at LB, Armstrong made an impact when he came on. Mara held the ball up well and brought others into play, but never looked like scoring himself.

It's plainly obvious that we just don’t have enough quality in the final third of the team to really trouble anyone, it’s painful watching Adams miss almost identical chances every week. When we do somehow create an opportunity you know Adams will miss it, it even looked like he believed he'd miss that. The faith we show in him as a ‘number 9’ is entirely misguided and is used to cover up a shocking lack of scouting ability to find someone better over a period of 18 months. if we don't get a free kick on the edge of the box for JWP to score then we are pretty much nailed on to lose the game as we have no other threat.

At least it’s only 0-1, the only positive I can take overall.

Playing against probably the best right back in the country might be your answer!!

• Like 1

Mixed story with the full debutants today, Orsic was borderline dreadful whilst Alcaraz looked bright.

Not fully convinced by JWP in the #10 role, would favour him and Lavia in a pivot with Alcaraz playing as the most advanced midfielder. Diallo had a pretty good game today though which was nice to see, hopefully we're finally getting some depth at CM.

Fuck me do we need a striker though!

• Like 1

The che chance again was the pivotal moment in the match..so obvious he was gonna try for that corner and pope read it well. Another striker would have probably set up to hit it in the same corner but hit across in the opposite corner. No idea what the stewards were doing but down in the corporate area some saints fan just walked down and smacked a Newcastle fan around the head.. he was probably a 🛎️ end but you just can’t do that. Stewards did feck all. Not good.

Disappointing game, still in with a chance but why rest players in a semi final. 

Good to see away fans in the home end take an absolute battering for once, hats off to Kingsland North , great to see. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, madge said:

The che chance again was the pivotal moment in the match..so obvious he was gonna try for that corner and pope read it well. Another striker would have probably set up to hit it in the same corner but hit across in the opposite corner. No idea what the stewards were doing but down in the corporate area some saints fan just walked down and smacked a Newcastle fan around the head.. he was probably a 🛎️ end but you just can’t do that. Stewards did feck all. Not good.

No problem for aiming in that corner. The problem was that che got it scuffed under his feet when running through, then panicked and absolutely scuffed his shot. A premier league striker would’ve taken it on further and beaten the keeper. Che panicked and just hit it. He is a terrible finisher.

3 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Playing against probably the best right back in the country might be your answer!!

What? Edozie rinsed the best RB in the country twice within 10 minutes of being on the pitch. Orsic will be better but he was miles off it

• Like 3