Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

Weeks from now...

So as you can see, yes Che Adams put the ball into the empty net but you've got to understand that the world is spinning and at the angle of the axis the Saints player behind him is actually technically further North of him and thus offside and interfering with play...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If pathetic Armstrong doesn’t stumble over a simple ball it’s 1-1!

if lyanco doesn’t see joelinton and then still completely fail to react!

if Adams didn’t bottle it!

if only we didn’t have Jones as our manager!

even my wife cottoned on straight away that we can score for toffee. 

• Like 5

Just now, WestMidSaint said:

If Joelintons wasnt ruled out by VAR

If Joelinton didnt sky it from 5 yards

Sad to say that 1-0 Newcastle is probably the fair result marginally.

We have it all to do

One positive for me. Adam Armstrong. Committed and quite good. Has to start. Never want to see Che play for us again. We still have absolutely no presence in the box. We aren’t going to score enough from outside. Need a nine desperately. As we have for about 100 years now. 

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Jones out.

Ralph in.

Alacaraz, JWP and KWP the only ones who come out of tonight with any credit. Adam Armstrong at a push too, did not stop tonight and put himself about well!

Mara still running about like Forest Gump. Diallo like a rabbit in the headlights. Lyanco an absolute liability. DCC - stupid tonight, turned too easily for the goal. Che, superb one on on fin…oh yeah, not even shocked.

Onto the Blackpool game. Probably best to scout them out now in prep for next season. 😁

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

So it's a pretty much exactly a week from now that the transfer window slams shut.

That shopping list better have the word "striker" underlined in red pen. If it wasn't urgent before, the whole world can see it now.

Precisely. I can't bear to watch Che doing a terrible impression of a PL striker ever again. 

When you don't create many chances, you need someone who can stick them away occasionally instead of completely fucking it up... every single time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WestMidSaint said:

Defenders legs wrapped round him 🤷🏼‍♂️

Well I'm a bit surprised you guys liked so much Charly's match. I think he did a discrete match 6/10, good shot in the first half, mostly thinking in a defensive role helping out in the back, a few interesting passes and so on.

He doesnt participate too much with the ball yet, I can see his buddies doesnt trust him too much yet, and I can see his not comfy with the grass, Idk if he needs to change his shoes or what but I have the sensation he's about to fall every step he does. Idk if it's the grass, the weather or the shoes that he seems like he's dancing on ice and he's about to crash into the floor everytime.

He needs to be in a more offensive position, he never put a foot in the enemy's area. Never. And that's bc of the coach obv. lol. He needs a bit more of freedom in that aspect. 

Oh and btw he was absolutely destroyed by minute 65. He needed to get out at 70'. He just couldnt run anymore. It was a good experience to have his first match since the begining and to finish it tho.

Edited by Sicily
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saint NL said:

So it's a pretty much exactly a week from now that the transfer window slams shut.

That shopping list better have the word "striker" underlined in red pen. If it wasn't urgent before, the whole world can see it now.

Went to Tesco yesterday. Had 'coffee' written on the shopping list. At the top. Needed coffee. Wanted coffee.

Forgot coffee, bought Weetabix. Didn't need cereal.

It happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Much better 2nd half, couldn't take our chances when we got on top for 15/20 minutes (story of the season). A fair score really but at least left us a sliver of a chance for return leg

Alcaraz looked bright. Disallowed goal gutting but unlike Saturday i can actually understand VAR overturning Armstrong handball.

How anyone at the club can look at the wingers and go we couldn't do with (our own player Tella) scoring goals for fun in the champ is bizarre to me.

Equally the failure to improve the striking options this long into the window is deeply worrying. Mara showed the odd flash but he's not going to get us out of this mess and Che is a decent link up player but his finishing is poor.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DT said:

One positive for me. Adam Armstrong. Committed and quite good. Has to start. Never want to see Che play for us again. We still have absolutely no presence in the box. We aren’t going to score enough from outside. Need a nine desperately. As we have for about 100 years now. 

Really? You never want to see Adam’s play for us again?

Mara showed promise, Alcatraz looks good, KWP good as usual, Orsic poor, Djenepo rubbish, JWP standard, Diallo standard (not good enough), DCC reckless, Lyanco just unhinged, Sali Cinnamon good first half especially. 0-1 probably about right. We’re just not good enough.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sicily said:

Well I'm a bit surprised you guys liked so much Charly's match. I think he did a discrete match 6/10, good shot in the first half, mostly thinking in a defensive role helping out in the back, a few interesting passes and so on.

He doesnt participate too much with the ball yet, I can see his buddies doesnt trust them too much yet, and I can see his not comfy with the grass, Idk if he needs to change his shoes or what but I have the sensation he's about to fall every step he does. Idk if it's the grass, the weather or the shoes that he seems like he's dancing on ice and he's about to crash into the floor.

He needs to be in a more offensive position, he never put a foot in the enemy's area. Never. And that's bc of the coach obv. lol. He needs a bit more of freedom in that aspect. 

Oh and btw he was absolutely destroyed by minute 65. He needed to get out at 70'. He just couldnt run anymore. It was a good experience to have his first match since the begining and to finish it tho.

Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game 

Newcastle on top for a lot of the first half. Blazed over their efforts. We, and most do, struggle from teams passing through us.

Second half, we came back into it in spells. As usual, we didn't take advantage of it, with a fair Che chance. Then, as usual, we concede from a fairly avoidable error. We did manage to get back into it, only for it to be ruled offside. We didn't offer much after that.

Newcastle are a much stronger, balanced team than us. Our failure to bring in a striker and keep the midfield solid will cost us in every game. We will always be likely to lose by fine margins, even at our best.

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jones out.

Ralph in.

Alacaraz, JWP and KWP the only ones who come out of tonight with any credit.

Mara still running about like Forest Gump. Diallo like a rabbit in the headlights. Lyanco an absolute liability. DCC - stupid tonight, turned too easily for the goal. Che, superb one on on fin…oh yeah, not even shocked.

Onto the Blackpool game. Probably best to scout them out now in prep for next season. 😁

Not sure what you were watching, yes his passing aint great but he broke the play up and put himself about superbly 

• Like 3

Tie still open but damn if we need to improve fast. Mara looked decent but we need a striker. Adams is not a lone striker and we now play that system.

Alcarez... great signing it seems. Whatever happens I hope he stays in the summer and we see more of him.

• Like 2

Even though we played ok in parts, the weaknesses just keep showing themselves each game.

DCC was turned far too easily for the goal.

Che is not a goal scorer, his hold up play is fine, but no one expected him to score that 1 on 1 and it showed.

Bazunu did ok, that'll help his confidence. Alcarez looks a handful.

But sky got what they wanted, and now we'll see Janny B start next week. Meh, sick of this shit, when things aren't going your way it's relentless 

• Like 7

Considering the number of very presentable chances they had we were lucky they only scored one.

Armstrong handball slightly unlucky but the ruling on that is clear, despite what the hapless Don Goodman was babbling.

Positives...Alcaraz. Looks forward and lasted 90mins in a frenetic game. He is a nailed starter in our best team.

Negatives...the woeful composure on the ball in both halves but especially when attempting to play out from the back. Salisu at LB. Having a penalty area player like Orsic and not ever getting him the ball in a dangerous area.

Also...Lyanco is just awful. 

• Like 2