Southampton 0-1 Newcastle League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg

Saint_clark

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jones out.

Ralph in.

Alacaraz, JWP and KWP the only ones who come out of tonight with any credit. Adam Armstrong at a push too, did not stop tonight and put himself about well!

Mara still running about like Forest Gump. Diallo like a rabbit in the headlights. Lyanco an absolute liability. DCC - stupid tonight, turned too easily for the goal. Che, superb one on on fin…oh yeah, not even shocked.

Onto the Blackpool game. Probably best to scout them out now in prep for next season. 😁

John Krasinski What GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

We have so little real quality in the team and that which is good is inconsistent at best.

Feeling pretty despondent by it all to be honest. From the shite performances and tactics. The manager who has a 50% win record (you know, with the greatest respect excluding Liverpool, Fulham, villa games.) the beyond shit home form and only topped by the feeling of being constantly gaslit by the club that we don’t need a decent striker. Or a decent goalie that is ready to play at this level. A team that has had its best players sold for years without quality replacements.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sicily said:

Well I'm a bit surprised you guys liked so much Charly's match. I think he did a discrete match 6/10, good shot in the first half, mostly thinking in a defensive role helping out in the back, a few interesting passes and so on.

He doesnt participate too much with the ball yet, I can see his buddies doesnt trust him too much yet, and I can see his not comfy with the grass, Idk if he needs to change his shoes or what but I have the sensation he's about to fall every step he does. Idk if it's the grass, the weather or the shoes that he seems like he's dancing on ice and he's about to crash into the floor everytime.

He needs to be in a more offensive position, he never put a foot in the enemy's area. Never. And that's bc of the coach obv. lol. He needs a bit more of freedom in that aspect. 

Oh and btw he was absolutely destroyed by minute 65. He needed to get out at 70'. He just couldnt run anymore. It was a good experience to have his first match since the begining and to finish it tho.

Our best player tonight I thought. Maybe that says more about where we’re at? Lots of promise 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Jones out.

Ralph in.

Alacaraz, JWP and KWP the only ones who come out of tonight with any credit. Adam Armstrong at a push too, did not stop tonight and put himself about well!

Mara still running about like Forest Gump. Diallo like a rabbit in the headlights. Lyanco an absolute liability. DCC - stupid tonight, turned too easily for the goal. Che, superb one on on fin…oh yeah, not even shocked.

Onto the Blackpool game. Probably best to scout them out now in prep for next season. 😁

Put another record on you prick 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, imadirtyurchin said:

We have so little real quality in the team and that which is good is inconsistent at best.

Feeling pretty despondent by it all to be honest. From the shite performances and tactics. The manager who has a 50% win record (you know, with the greatest respect excluding Liverpool, Fulham, villa games.) the beyond shit home form and only topped by the feeling of being constantly gaslit by the club that we don’t need a decent striker. Or a decent goalie that is ready to play at this level. A team that has had its best players sold for years without quality replacements.

I think that's pretty much how we all feel right now. Too many bad decisions and no way out.

• Like 1

Adams hits the keeper Tella is burying those. He's a thick idiot, he has tried that every time and hit the keeper again, they know he is going to do that. Take it on another couple of touches and take it across the keeper, dink it, feint to shoot and take it around. No fear hit it straight at the keeper. Do something different better still leave him out completely. Alcaraz is a decent player. WTF was CC  doing. That may well have cost him his place. Mara looked half decent he has to play. We need to bring in a striker.

• Like 7

Could have been worse. DCC's total lack of pace exposed although to be fair he got dragged out to the wing where he's always going to lose a race against Isac. Alcatraz had bright moments and will be a good player for us with a few more games. Adam Armstrong caused them problems with his pace and running. Che did what he always does and missed our best chance - was a poor attempt. Mara did ok and is worth more games and Edozie was lively until final ball. Our passing is still pretty poor. Don't give us much chance now but at least we're still in it I guess. With a decent forward and midfield enforcer we do have the makings of a reasonable side but will we get anyone in? Newcastle are a horrible side - very easy to dislike.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah, Mara was a hell of a lot better than that dopey twat Adams

Yet gets pulled off for woeful Adams. Mara probably our best player tonight, not that that’s saying too much. 

edit that was probably Alcaraz actually

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It’s not bullshit, it’s different rules for strikers and defenders. If it hits the strikers arm at all, no matter whatever else, it’s handball. It’s not a conspiracy Ffs.

Of course it's bullshit, how can you have different rules for forwards and defenders.

• Like 4

Gonna have to disagree with most of you and say I was really happy either that second half. It looked like we had a bit about us ( except for a cf). 

Gonna give jones credit for putting salisu at left back who I thought had a really solid game and I'm left with a bit of hope after that second half showing. 

Good cameos by armstrong and edozie ( shame hes so lightweight) and good performances by DCC Salisu and Alcaraz. Rest were average. Kwp better in the second half.

The thing is, when they can bring on Subs of the likes of Saint maximan and isak, well, we can't really compete with that. It is what it is. But as I say, I'm feeling much more positive than about 90% of the people on here. :)

• Like 6

Better in the second half but still nowhere near good enough to get a result, and nil 1 probably flattered us a bit.  Thought the new lad in midfield looked tidy, but when you've got our front line it's pretty difficult to create much.   

I have to say that the sky coverage was sickening absolutely shyte, the presenter, pundits and commentry team did nothing but wax lyrical about Newcastle from start to finish,  we were nothing but the whipping boys for them.  It ain't gonna happen, but I would love to go to sjp and wipe the floor with them just to shut them up. 

• Like 4

Yet another really disappointing performance & unbelievably lucky to be coming out of that with just 1 Goal conceded.

CC, Lyanco & Salisu an utter organised mess, all over the place, true test there tonight & failed.  Bazuna not helping much back there with lack of commanding & confidence & bad positioning.

Alcarez looked pretty decent, Diallo’s passing letting him down again.  God knows why Lavia is not starting?

AA battled hard & should always start with his effort & positivity. 

Still clueless in attacking 3rd - nothing seems to work/click.  Newcastle showed us how it should be done, brilliant positive movement up front.

Keep telling myself - things can only get better! 🙏🏼🤞

• Like 4

I'm a glass half full kinda guy. We're up against a team costing 2x + ours. And we battled them all the way.  This is still close enough for next week to be exciting.  Diallo showed promise for pretty much the first time. Alcaraz is going to be a superstar for us.  Adam A is the new Shane Long on steroids. Salisu is world class.  With Livramento and Lavia fully fit, we have a fantastic team.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Perfect result. Last thing we wanted was Newcastle needing to come out on the front foot at SJP....

I just hope that if we get a result and Murphy is on the pitch that our players to a man wave bye bye at him...........what a cunt if only DCC could have whacked him it would have been worth it.Having said that he would probably been slated on here for it and ended up with about a 10 match ban,but fuck what a cunt. Btw Toon should have won by at least 4-1 given adams 1on 1 miss ,WE NEED A STRIKER.....................someone whos at least confident at hitting the back of the net rather than the keeper AGAIN.............so Janny B for DCC next few games then. BTW Lyanco lost position as to where Joelinton was ,very sloppy. Talking of sloppy Diallo what? jesus how many of our  attacks did he stop?.......................look were not out of it  if we can start brightly and make their fans nervous they might yet tighten up make mistakes aswell ,and look they havent won a thing since 69 i think so they will be nervous aswell.

15 minutes ago, Sicily said:

Well I'm a bit surprised you guys liked so much Charly's match. I think he did a discrete match 6/10, good shot in the first half, mostly thinking in a defensive role helping out in the back, a few interesting passes and so on.

He doesnt participate too much with the ball yet, I can see his buddies doesnt trust him too much yet, and I can see his not comfy with the grass, Idk if he needs to change his shoes or what but I have the sensation he's about to fall every step he does. Idk if it's the grass, the weather or the shoes that he seems like he's dancing on ice and he's about to crash into the floor everytime.

He needs to be in a more offensive position, he never put a foot in the enemy's area. Never. And that's bc of the coach obv. lol. He needs a bit more of freedom in that aspect. 

Oh and btw he was absolutely destroyed by minute 65. He needed to get out at 70'. He just couldnt run anymore. It was a good experience to have his first match since the begining and to finish it tho.

Don’t be Socily 

Mara looked like he had plenty left him when he was substituted. 4 minutes later the golden chance for us falls to Che, say no more, so fucking obvious.  I couldn’t give 2 shits if Che’s hold up play is “good”, that’s a basic forward quality that you see up and down the leagues. In fact, even Che’s hold up play was sub standard tonight.

• Like 3

I thought we were very lucky it was only 0-1, Newcastle had at least 2 additional clear cut chances whilst we only had one.

We had a period in the second half where we got on the ball and started moving it a bit, but that was pretty much it. The rest of the game was almost exclusively controlled by Newcastle and played at the pace they wanted it played at, we couldn’t get on the ball as they didn’t allow us the time on it.

Orsic looked like a rabbit in headlights out there, not entirely sure why he was so bad. It was like playing with 10 men. Salisu had almost zero defensive cover for the entirety of the time he was on the pitch.

Diallo read the game well and broke it up, but his passing and distribution is simply not good enough for any level of football and that’s why he can’t be starting for us. An accident waiting to happen.

The defenders were both a bit calamitous tonight, DCC was poor on the goal – got too tight to a player who is 110% faster than him, and it was obvious what Isak was going to do. Braindead. The sending off was a case of taking one for the team, but he really didn’t have a good game. Lyanco just plays on the edge all the time, there’s nothing composed about his game. He creates chaos when he plays at CB and it panics everyone else.

Decent shouts for Alcaraz who I thought was very smart for at least 60mins, playing deeper than I’d play him though – but he has a good touch, good agility, moves the ball quickly. The ball through to Adams was delightful. Equally KWP had a decent second half, Salisu had a good game at LB, Armstrong made an impact when he came on. Mara held the ball up well and brought others into play, but never looked like scoring himself.

It's plainly obvious that we just don’t have enough quality in the final third of the team to really trouble anyone, it’s painful watching Adams miss almost identical chances every week. When we do somehow create an opportunity you know Adams will miss it, it even looked like he believed he'd miss that. The faith we show in him as a ‘number 9’ is entirely misguided and is used to cover up a shocking lack of scouting ability to find someone better over a period of 18 months. if we don't get a free kick on the edge of the box for JWP to score then we are pretty much nailed on to lose the game as we have no other threat.

At least it’s only 0-1, the only positive I can take overall.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

Largely anonymous unfortunately 

Same really cant see him making us better.Looked too lightweight, like most of our attacking threat Ely, Djenepo and whilst i like the look of Edosie he too looks easily pushed off the ball.

4 minutes ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I'm a glass half full kinda guy. We're up against a team costing 2x + ours. And we battled them all the way.  This is still close enough for next week to be exciting.  Diallo showed promise for pretty much the first time. Alcaraz is going to be a superstar for us.  Adam A is the new Shane Long on steroids. Salisu is world class.  With Livramento and Lavia fully fit, we have a fantastic team.  

See, I don't understand this. We are as far away from a fantastic team as you can get, dogshit is closest. Having Lavia and Tino back makes zero difference to the lack of ability we have in the final third. We are rooted to the bottom of the league, lost pretty much every game we played last year and have started this year in the same vein.

We are one of the worst teams in the entire country.

• Like 5