Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Catching up now but not liking what I am reading. 

I can't stand Jones, odious little prick that's massively out of his depth, stubborn and arrogant.

We need to bin him off at the end of the season no matter what.

He's so unlikeable. He's someone who you actively want to fail. Which sadly, at this moment, isn't ideal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

How many have changed their minds on Lyanco and see him for the crap footballer that he is?

The amount of people on here who we’re obsessed with him a few months ago over the fact he thinks his chest like an ape and shows some PaShUn! They’ve gone very quiet. 😅

I've said it before. Hes fine if he isn't playing at CB. At CB he is an absolute liability. 

• Like 1

Jones isn't doing himself too many favours. We almost exclusively churn out dross playing with five at the back, there seems to be a myth that it is a more solid formation but we always seem to lose the midfield and then the backline is pulled apart far too easily.

Newcastle are largely well drilled and have clear patterns of play with sprinkles of top quality (Saudi blood money goes a long way) and if honest I didn't expect a result.

Those on the pitch worth a mention:

Bree a bit jekyll and hyde. Luton fans said he could attack but was iffy defending, probably about right.

Good to see Adams score, we all know he is a confidence player so let's hope this is the start of a streak.

Armstrong, works hard, harries but Blackburn fans told us he needed five chances to score one goal - they were right.

Diallo isn't up to this level. I don't rate him. He's had a handful of good performances but is mostly a passenger.

On their end how Bruno had the bollocks to whinge that he hadn't even fouled Edozie was bizarre. A stupid tackle and righty a red intentional or not.

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

How many have changed their minds on Lyanco and see him for the crap footballer that he is?

The amount of people on here who we’re obsessed with him a few months ago over the fact he thinks his chest like an ape and shows some PaShUn! They’ve gone very quiet. 😅

I've always thought he was inept to be honest. When he just defends and looses all his stupid emotion, he can pass as a decent player, but you can't coach that shitty OTT emotion out of him and he just dives in, jumps in, gets caught up field. Just terrible, an uncoacable player really.

• Like 4

Just now, obelisk said:

Regardless of the starting formation I don't suppose Jones was expecting our boys to keep passing to players in black and white. The first goal came from giving the ball away twice in our own half.

That is fair

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Tbf I dont think hes had many supporters on here, regardless of the fist pumping. His flaws were obvious from day 1, and we were warned by Torino fans too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

Fuck this, fuck the bias commentary, fuck the Newcastle wank fest and the Newcastle fan wank fest. Their fans are the same as any other. They're loud when on top and shit when team shit. They don't love football as a city more than any other town or city and the "they love a number 9" shite is cringy. They don't spend their last pennies on watching their beloved team more than any other fucking teams fans. They've spent a fuck load of Arabian blood money that if Sunderland had done it they'd be pulling them apart saying they're an oil run club. And the 30 stone fucks with their shirts off in winter that the cameras always have to show because they're 'mad and great fans '. Fuck off they've got 5 inches thick of gristle of course they don't need a fucking coat. Why are these messes celebrated. I bet they sit on their fat arses all week buying tickets handouts. Fuck the prem, fuck sky, I'd rather get relegated so I don't have to listen to as much of this shite all the time

hahahahahahahahah so true,  i always assumed it was cos they were poor 

• Haha 1

I'm still hoping for an answer to my earlier question: who does Jones report to regarding playing affairs?

We have almost total unanimity and palpable anger on here about his Back 3/Back 5 lunacy, and yet he's allowed to persist with it. I've never seen a manager so hell bent on playing to our weaknesses rather than our strengths. And he does it even though the same players consistently look much better when we play a 4.

So who is it that allows (or encourages) him to keep pulling this mindless, destructive shit?

My only hope at this point is that he'll be forced away from it by the arrival of the new signings, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He didn’t actually say that, he said it was a red but does have a bit of sympathy as he was attempting to play the ball. He also did say Edozie could have been badly hurt. That’s a pretty fair summary. 

The only sympathy should have been to edozie who was lucky his ankle wasn't snapped in two. It was a disgusting challenge and imo intentional. The fact the whole of their team surrounded the ref after sums them up as a whole. A grotty little club that's too big for their boots at the moment

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Shouldn’t you be tucked up in bed?  Not very nice coming on here mouthing off to fellow fans that are hurting over a lost game is it - didn’t Mummy teach you any manners? (😅)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Playing five at the back is such an easy stick to beat Jones with, but it really is a shite formation. I really don't know why h keeps trying it. Every time he does we are shit, Every time we switch to a four we are better. He found a formation and tactic that worked against City. Stick with it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

Fuck this, fuck the bias commentary, fuck the Newcastle wank fest and the Newcastle fan wank fest. Their fans are the same as any other. They're loud when on top and shit when team shit. They don't love football as a city more than any other town or city and the "they love a number 9" shite is cringy. They don't spend their last pennies on watching their beloved team more than any other fucking teams fans. They've spent a fuck load of Arabian blood money that if Sunderland had done it they'd be pulling them apart saying they're an oil run club. And the 30 stone fucks with their shirts off in winter that the cameras always have to show because they're 'mad and great fans '. Fuck off they've got 5 inches thick of gristle of course they don't need a fucking coat. Why are these messes celebrated. I bet they sit on their fat arses all week buying tickets handouts. Fuck the prem, fuck sky, I'd rather get relegated so I don't have to listen to as much of this shite all the time

Fucking Spot on ,Wankers

• Haha 2

Standard Saints

Odd selection, in odd formation that the folk who hired NJ wanted, and RH jettisoned after being seemingly told to try it.

Disjointed start, where we get overrun due to lack of midfield or attacking outs.

Go behind, and make plucky but futile attempt to get back on level terms.

Have at least one decent chance to level it, but miss.

We lost that one partly on the team sheet, as we struggled to impose any identity on the game, with that selection.

As usual, we looked more comfortable in a back four. But the club know best, and we'll have another losing back 5 along shortly.

We did look better in spells of the second half. But that's no surprise as Newcastle already had their goals.

The subs nearly all had an impact. But that just showed that Lavia and Perraud should have started.

We struggled to get a couple of passes together first half, while our opponents were all over us. We didn't have the composure to beat their pressure, had no midfield to generate anything and no attack getting either service or creating anything, until Adams' goal.

We got to see better parts of Bree's game, as Newcastle stopped overrunning that flank.

Lavia had some incisive passing.

I was pleased for Che getting a goal. It was AA's turn to miss a decent chance tonight. Where Adams is too slow to release a shot, AA could have waited another half second and it would have gone past the keeper.

Some poor passing in a rattled defense at times. Bednarak playing team mates into danger was like old times. Poor passing in midfield didn't help us either.

Edozie is raw and young, but isn't offering any real assists or creating chances yet.

Delighted to see Bruno shown red, as he's been a moaning hacker throughout both legs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Regardless of the starting formation I don't suppose Jones was expecting our boys to keep passing to players in black and white. The first goal came from giving the ball away twice in our own half.

And our goal came from a Newcastle defender inexplicably passing the ball straight to Adams in space.

Giving the ball away isn't exclusively a Saints thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, obelisk said:

And a lot of that comes about because we are playing in a shape that just doesn't suit us. We didn't give the ball away anywhere near as much with a back 4.

• Like 1

Just now, The Curse of St Mary's said:

We had plenty of time against ten men to get back into it yet you'd never really have known by the lack of urgency on show. So disappointing. 

In fairness Newcastle went into shit housing overdrive wasting every single millisecond possible - evaporating what fragile momentum we had.

• Like 1

We are infinitely better with Lavia playing and Lyanco sat on his sofa. A shambolic starting line up coupled with an insistence of 5 at the back never gave us a chance in this game. Those opening 20 minutes are on our spanner of a manager. 

• Like 8

I think it's telling that even with a reasonably close 2 leg semi final against a club bankrolled as they are, Jones still getting a fair bit of stick. Can't recall that strong a feeling in a cup since the Poch / Sunderland debacle a good few years back.

Jones not helping himself at all as per usual.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kevdoh said:

The only sympathy should have been to edozie who was lucky his ankle wasn't snapped in two. It was a disgusting challenge and imo intentional. The fact the whole of their team surrounded the ref after sums them up as a whole. A grotty little club that's too big for their boots at the moment

they havent even started to get big yet........................££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ to spend yet and for years to come,sadly.

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Edozie is raw and young, but isn't offering any real assists or creating chances yet.

it's a problem. The 4-2-3-1 formation (which seems to be a good fit for us) needs wide players that assist and score and neither of ours does.

3 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

they havent even started to get big yet........................££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ to spend yet and for years to come,sadly.

They're the future of English and European football sadly... The only thing that will maybe stop them now is that they've got to get the best players in the world to agree to live in Newcastle... That or sanctions on Saudi money. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, funkymojo44 said:

Can't recall that strong a feeling in a cup since the Poch / Sunderland debacle a good few years back.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Koeman/Sheffield United was a horror show.

This isn't quite the same - those two were gutting because we genuinely could have got to a semi from those games.

I would say more like Hughes vs Chelsea and Ralph vs Leicester.

Newcastle had twice our number of total shots and shots on target, and 5 corners to our 1. The few times we penetrated we didn't have the quality to finish the chance. People really can't be dressing that second half up as a good performance because Newcastle simply sat off us and defended/managed the 2 goal lead. All you can say is it was better than the first half. 😒

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

Well, I didnt watch the game this time but I can see by your comments and his sub that Charly didnt play well in a new tactical system. You'll have to analyze if it was because the system or because it wasnt his day. 

He wasnt perfect last week and he's not super shitty tonight, let's just wait, maybe with a system that the team feels more comfortable... I know you guys can't wait tho, and he knows it too, sadly that's the tricky stuff of buying people in winter.

Edited by Sicily

Really disappointing start in the first half gave us a lot to do. As soon as we went back to a back four we looked a lot better. We should only ever use a back five when seeing a game out in my opinion. Che's goal was class and hopefully will give him a big confidence booster. We need a positive result on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Newcastle had twice our number of total shots and shots on target, and 5 corners to our 1. The few times we penetrate to we don't have the quality to finish the chance. People really can't be dressing that second half up as a good performance because Newcastle simply sat off us and defended/managed the 2 goal lead. All you can say is it was better than the first half. 😒

The second half was better because we weren't playing 5 at the back. We are awful playing that formation and any numpty should know that so why Jones thought that was a good idea is beyond me. We made them look stupidly good the first half minutes not because they are that good but because we were atrocious. Lavia should start every game . Dont get the theory he's young and should be protected. He's young and fit and clearly one of our best players so use him as much as we can before he fucks off to bigger and better things. If Armstrong rounds the keeper like he should have done at 2-1 off of a great ball that no other player we have would have played their arses would have gone and I would have fancied our chances of nicking something. And lyanco, all he had was his beard and being the hard cunt of our team of pussies. Now he's shaved it all he has left is his ability which is very limited. Imagine being dcc and having bednarek and lyanco starting in front of you. We should be playing 2 centre backs from dcc, abk and salisu.  lyanco and bednarek as last options. And I don't get why perraud isn't an automatic starter. Not saying he's amazing but as our only left back and can't remember him letting us down why wouldn't he start every game? Gives us a better shape and releases an actual class player in kwp to play his best position. Yeah he does ok left back but he's great at right back. A team like ours need to play to our strengths and we aren't doing it

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, funkymojo44 said:

I think it's telling that even with a reasonably close 2 leg semi final against a club bankrolled as they are, Jones still getting a fair bit of stick. Can't recall that strong a feeling in a cup since the Poch / Sunderland debacle a good few years back.

Jones not helping himself at all as per usual.

It wasn't close at all.  It was decided after 20 minutes - and that was down to Jones team selection and structure.  He deserves all the stick he gets.

• Like 6

It's simple..... start 

Perraud on the left 

Peters on the right....

Why are you giving Bree a debut? In a league Cup semi final.....

Bednerek and Lyanco ? 

Where is Lavia, DCC and Kotchap from the get go? 

I'm sorry but this manager is a helmet sooner he fks off the better...

• Like 9

And why did we sign orsic from zagreb to sit on the bench when we could have had their keeper livakovic for a similar fee? Unbelievable nobody has picked him up after the world cup and what a difference it would make to the confidence in the side knowing there's a keeper that will stop some shots going in the net. Bazunu should have been pulled a while ago. If we had Leno at Fulham or Martinez at villa and either of them have bazunu we automatically swap positions. They win their team points not lose them. We have some good defenders that have no confidence because any fuck up they do results in a goal

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Tie was lost in the first leg anyway. Don't get much at SJP. Another loss by the odd goal. Frustrating. FA Cup final it is then.

It wasn't frustrating at all. It was all entirely predictable. Made 10x worse by our twat of a manager picking a bizarre starting 11. Even more bizarre than some of Ralph's best efforts. Bednarek and a championship defender making his debut in a semi final? WTF

• Like 1