Southampton(1) 1-2 (3)Newcastle - League Cup Semi Final - Second Leg

Chez

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anyone else think Bree did alright but for that weird last cross? Not amazing by any means but not as bad as some of the dross we had out. 

First half looked all at sea but not his fault really, second half I was pretty impressed to be honest. Looks good on the ball.

• Like 1

I'm normally very polite, but having rushed back from training tonight to see our generous three at the back being nice to you, all I can say is "do go and do one, my dear"..

Enjoy your blood money, and when you see Shearer in the stands with his big black and white scarf remember  I saw him score his debut hattrick from under the West stand.

• Like 3

Just now, suewhistle said:

I'm normally very polite, but having rushed back from training tonight to see our generous three at the back being nice to you, all I can say is "do go and do one, my dear"..

Enjoy your blood money, and when you see Shearer in the stands with his big black and white scarf remember  I saw him score his debut hattrick from under the West stand.

Ummm, he was kind of born and bred in Newcastle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anyone else think Bree did alright but for that weird last cross? Not amazing by any means but not as bad as some of the dross we had out. 

He was completely useless in the first half. Nowhere to be seen in defence or attack. 

I don't think he or anyone else deserves a pat on the head for marginally improving in the second half once the game was already lost. 

When it counted, he was shite.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

No i think he did practically nothing all game, certainly nothing to suggest the Perraud shouldn't have started on the left and KWP on the right. Its another bad sign for the direction under this muppet of a manager

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He was surprisingly good in the second half, even if Newcastle had put the cue in the rack, which gave him more time and space to get forward.   He did show a turn of pace, an eye for a pass and a good quality cross.    Defensive qualities still a question mark and the problem in playing him is it relegates our best outfield player (along with Lavia) to being played out of position.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Composed when playing in a back 4, lost when playing wing back, but obvious limitations. Honestly don't see the point in his signing as I don't think he'll perform any better than the likes of Lyanco or Stephens when they played there.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If Jones doesn’t re-assure his players that they lost the game because of his tactical error, there’s a good chance he’ll lose the dressing room. And that’ll be the final nail in our Prem survival coffin.

He certainly should but I can't see it happening. Sadly, I think he's in that type we bump into every so often in life - "I, I, I, me, me, me - oh no, that was him".

Nothing endears a manager to his players more than one who takes it on the chin publicly when they screwed up.

Nothing draws more player contempt than when the manager publicly blames the players for his own failures.

This is why Jones needs some supervisory intervention before things get any worse.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

He certainly should but I can't see it happening. Sadly, I think he's in that type we bump into every so often in life - "I, I, I, me, me, me - oh no, that was him".

Nothing endears a manager to his players more than one who takes it on the chin publicly when they screwed up.

Nothing draws more player contempt than when the manager publicly blames the players for his own failures.

This is why Jones needs some supervisory intervention before things get any worse.

Give it a rest ffs. Thought over two legs against a far superior squad we didn’t give a bad account of ourselves. Positivity from here on in is required, give your weird obsession with Jones a rest for a bit while the rest of us focus on full support for the rest of the season 

• Like 9
  • Confused 5

19 minutes ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

Give it a rest ffs. Thought over two legs against a far superior squad we didn’t give a bad account of ourselves. Positivity from here on in is required, give your weird obsession with Jones a rest for a bit while the rest of us focus on full support for the rest of the season 

I'm not obsessed with Jones at all Mr. One Post. In fact, I've complained about the fact that there was a poll on here telling him that he wasn't wanted before he had even managed a game. While I certainly had my doubts about his suitability, I was more than willing to give him a chance before deciding.

Not too sure who's included in your "rest of us" group, but the one I'm most aware of consists of a large majority who have long supported this club and always will - people who have seen enough of his bizarre lineups and tactics, his propensity for blaming the players when the problem is his system, and his stubborn refusal to see that these are major problems. This isn't about Jones the person but Jones the manager. If the late J. Christ of Bethlehem came here and pulled that stuff, he'd take shit as well.

If you want to talk about "weird", I'd venture to suggest that the word applies more to new posters who suddenly appear on here to defend the indefensible. (Sorry if the above reference offends your religious sensitivities.)

• Like 7

4 hours ago, kevdoh said:

Fuck this, fuck the bias commentary, fuck the Newcastle wank fest and the Newcastle fan wank fest. Their fans are the same as any other. They're loud when on top and shit when team shit. They don't love football as a city more than any other town or city and the "they love a number 9" shite is cringy. They don't spend their last pennies on watching their beloved team more than any other fucking teams fans. They've spent a fuck load of Arabian blood money that if Sunderland had done it they'd be pulling them apart saying they're an oil run club. And the 30 stone fucks with their shirts off in winter that the cameras always have to show because they're 'mad and great fans '. Fuck off they've got 5 inches thick of gristle of course they don't need a fucking coat. Why are these messes celebrated. I bet they sit on their fat arses all week buying tickets handouts. Fuck the prem, fuck sky, I'd rather get relegated so I don't have to listen to as much of this shite all the time

amen. I was browsing netflix the other day and put on the sunderland doc first episode “in sunderland football is the heart of this city, it’s our church”. no fucking way aren’t you special. it’s a northern thing I think, they’re brainwashed into a delusion that they care about football more than people down south to make up for the sad lives they mostly lead. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He was completely useless in the first half. Nowhere to be seen in defence or attack. 

I don't think he or anyone else deserves a pat on the head for marginally improving in the second half once the game was already lost. 

he was good when he put the right studs on ⛸️

Morning all. Just want to say I went up there with concealed hopes of Saints keeping it tight and disciplined for the first 45

well what a fucking absolute pigs fucking ear we made of that. Perraud, DCC, Lavia left out, this manager is a fucking bellend, but maybe he had a plan up his sleeve? Did He fuck, the chopped and changed bunch of wankers kept giving the ball away and went 2-0 down, therefore shafting the decent travelling fans enthusiasm very quickly

fuck off Jones with your clever arsed wacky selections, this one is on you, you fucking prick.

Edited by Mixedkebab
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, maysie said:

First half looked all at sea but not his fault really, second half I was pretty impressed to be honest. Looks good on the ball.

Yes agree, looks promising.   Is it only Saints web though where new players are written off after 45 minutes !!!   Lad probably didn't even know his team mates names.  Even at the Sunday morning standard I played at, when having new players alongside you made it difficult.

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

Morning all. Just want to say I went up there with concealed hopes of Saints keeping it tight and disciplined for the first 45

well what a fucking absolute pigs fucking ear we made of that. Perraud, DCC, Lavia left out, this manager is a fucking bellend, but maybe he had a plan up his sleeve? Did He fuck, the chopped and changed bunch of wankers kept giving the ball away and went 2-0 down, therefore shafting the decent travelling fans enthusiasm very quickly

fuck off Jones with your clever arsed wacky selections, this one is on you, you fucking prick.

I'm sensing you're not overly impressed. Am I warm? ;)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, qwertyell said:

We didn't improve in the second half, that's just some horseshit that Corporal fucking Jones is trotting out.

We 'appeared' slightly better at the same time that Newcastle stopped getting in our faces and closing down every pass we made because they were comfortably in front.  When they were doing that we looked like headless chickens at a slaughter house.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

amen. I was browsing netflix the other day and put on the sunderland doc first episode “in sunderland football is the heart of this city, it’s our church”. no fucking way aren’t you special. it’s a northern thing I think, they’re brainwashed into a delusion that they care about football more than people down south to make up for the sad lives they mostly lead. 

Scousers do it to.

Everton are the weirdest fan base out there. Think they’re a massive club. I will enjoy it immensely if they go down.  

• Like 3

Players went to sleep for first 2 goals. Plenty of aggression and enthusiasm but lack of quality showed through with losing the ball and woeful passing at times, Armstrongs usual miss but much better when Lavia came on who is quality. The game passed Alcatraz by on this occasion but a very good goal from Adams. Hope the new signings bring that quality and finishing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rooney said:

Players went to sleep for first 2 goals. 

It was much more than that.

I'd say Newcastle took us to pieces for half an hour, not too dissimilar to the first game. They played some nice triangles to beat our pathetic press. They dominated in the middle. They carved us open with quick, quality passing and we didn't get near them. It was a rout.

We looked out of our depth. We looked lost, with overloads everywhere. We couldn't cope with their pressure. Our passing was sloppy. We got what we deserved.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd say Newcastle took us to pieces for half an hour, not too dissimilar to the first game. They played some nice triangles to beat our pathetic press. They dominated in the middle. They carved us open with quick, quality passing and we didn't get near them. It was a rout.

We looked out of our depth. We looked lost, with overloads everywhere. We couldn't cope with their pressure. Our passing was sloppy. We got what we deserved.

I saw an organised team who knew exactly what they were doing. They knew what our weak spots were and exploited them. Contrast that with our panic in possession, no composure style, no real game plan and constant changing it was always going to end up like that. Am no fan of Howe but he taught us a massive lesson last night.

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I saw an organised team who knew exactly what they were doing. They knew what our weak spots were and exploited them. Contrast that with our panic in possession, no composure style, no real game plan and constant changing it was always going to end up like that. Am no fan of Howe but he taught us a massive lesson last night.

Yep, well beaten by a very good side. Must have been Howe,s easiest HT talk ever. Sit back, keep our shape, don,t do anything silly, save your legs for Saturday. This lot couldn’t,t score two goals if we played for 24 hours.

Big LOL at Jones saying we were the better team second half, it was game over after 5 minutes.

• Like 2

3-0 agg down away in a two legged cup semi final in twenty minutes home side with away goal and you have Everest to climb,  even if you are a good side. The team selection and formation at a the start was fucking suicide and facilitated an easy Newcastle victory, bet Howe couldn’t believe his luck.  I don’t know how jones could come to the conclusion that that line up and set up gave our best chance of grabbing a result. Baffling, but then again when isn’t he baffling.

• Like 3

Got to say that was Disappointing, can't understand playing Lavia against Blackpool but not in a semi final , never felt like we were really in it, added Newcastle to the list of clubs I can't stand, inflated egos thinking they're such a massive club , hopefully some regime change in Saudi Arabia and the whole thing falls apart in the future 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

Gosh, another brand new poster with one post to his name telling us all how Jones is really really good actually and not obviously utterly out of his depth. 

Come on Nath, that’s three log-ins you’ve got now. Shouldn’t you be taking training? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

3-0 agg down away in a two legged cup semi final in twenty minutes home side with away goal and you have Everest to climb,  even if you are a good side. The team selection and formation at a the start was fucking suicide and facilitated an easy Newcastle victory, bet Howe couldn’t believe his luck.  I don’t know how jones could come to the conclusion that that line up and set up gave our best chance of grabbing a result. Baffling, but then again when isn’t he baffling.

Agree, tried to support him but Jones makes it hard with line ups like that in a semi final 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Like the rest he improved when we changed to a back 4. Hard to judge him on last night but he certainly grew into the game and, if KWP is out for a few games, he'll get more chances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

First half he looked like a fish up a tree. Second half he looked alright. Bit of an unfair game to throw him in at, to be fair. Should have been KWP on the right, Perraud on the left.

• Like 4

We look incapable at playing through teams at times, It’s as if we our only hope of scoring is taking it up the wing and crossing in or cutting in and winning a free kick around the box.

Diallo is no replacement for Lavia in a holding midfield role, I think that change made a huge difference in our ability to play out from the back in the 1st half which near enough lost us the tie in the 1st 20 minutes; Maybe Jones is making sure he’s available for Brentford? Surely he knows, as many on here have said, Lavia’s fitness will be paramount to our PL survival.

Would’ve been nice to make it to Wembley again, but fair play to Newcastle - They look absolutely solid. Dangerous going forward with players throughout the team who know how to score goals and currently one of the best defensive records in Europe. Very hard to beat.

Next couple of games are huge for us

• Like 1

I actually came on to give Diallo a shout out as for me was our best player overall. First half he was the only one who seemed to know what he was doing (other than Che's wonder-goal), and basically suffered through being massively outnumbered trying to protect a 5-man defence. He think he did well. You wouldn't use him to get an attacking move going, but he breaks up play well and working alongside a Lavia (or similar) he's a useful asset IMO. Steady player; great at some things, poor at others.

Lavia changed things when he came on, partly because it meant Diallo had help, but also because he's just a different level. Going to be some player, him. Enjoy him while he's here.

Edited by kitch
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

As in the first leg, their runs from midfield were not picked up. Either lazy or not doing their job for both goals last night. Surely the plan was to keep it at 1-0 from first leg, frustrate the crowd, (who soon lost their shout when we scored) and then go for it later in the game. Like a european game. Sadly that fell apart early doors.

11 hours ago, austsaint said:

It wasn't close at all.  It was decided after 20 minutes - and that was down to Jones team selection and structure.  He deserves all the stick he gets.

This may have been picked up wrong, I meant close as in a 3-1 2 legged score isn't a huge insurmountable difference. That's no bearing on Jones' mismanagement of the actual games though which I agree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Gosh, another brand new poster with one post to his name telling us all how Jones is really really good actually and not obviously utterly out of his depth. 

Come on Nath, that’s three log-ins you’ve got now. Shouldn’t you be taking training? 

How many posts does he need to make before his opinion is valid?

9 hours ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

Surely you’re on a wind up 😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

I'd say for 60% of that tie we were absolutley humped by Newcastle, they could have had more than the 1 in the first leg. They controlled it and kept us at arm’s length for the most of it.

For 20 mins yesterday they annihilated us through the middle and just took the piss, it was like boys against men. We did not look on the same level as them, and given that we play in the same league that is concerning to me. We rallied in the 2nd half, but a lot of that was due to Newcastle retreating and calming down themselves, so they let us play - and we just played in front of them for most of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, austsaint said:

He was surprisingly good in the second half, even if Newcastle had put the cue in the rack, which gave him more time and space to get forward.   He did show a turn of pace, an eye for a pass and a good quality cross.    Defensive qualities still a question mark and the problem in playing him is it relegates our best outfield player (along with Lavia) to being played out of position.

I thought his crosses were very poor. No height on them

Back 5 & no threat going forward aside .... i have to say a top effort from the 2.5k+ of us supporters that made that long trip last night.

Being in the clouds i was not expecting much atmosphere in the Saints end BUT there was non stop singing to back the team through out the game.  Have to say Newcastle were whipped into a near frenzy at the start but nerves maybe in second but they were so, so quiet - constant taunts on 'is this a library' fell on deaf ears!

Finally thanks to Highways England for making it such a smooth journey home🤬

• Like 3

Jones’ obsession with continually picking a back five is killing us, basically giving other teams a head start, also by filling that back five with a liability like Lyanco, who is a championship level defender at best, just adds to it. 

• Like 4

Our passing seems to get worse and worse. I can't recall us making as many misplaced passes to opposition players, or out of play, in all our years in the top flight as we do nowadays. I guess our stats will be inflated by successful backwards and sideways passes deep in our own half, although often they are far from accurate, but once we near the halfway line they start going awry. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to whether to pass to the man or in front of him. Shouldn't this be sorted out in training?

Newcastle's slick, well-practised passing, in contrast to our hit and miss approach, was what led to their 2 goals and saw us already beaten in the first half. The few goals we do score nearly all come from individual efforts such as free-kicks and long-range shots.

Even though we beat Blackpool, our passing was just as bad then, when we were under far less pressure than against Premier League opposition.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kitch said:

I actually came on to give Diallo a shout out as for me was our best player overall. First half he was the only one who seemed to know what he was doing (other than Che's wonder-goal), and basically suffered through being massively outnumbered trying to protect a 5-man defence. He think he did well. You wouldn't use him to get an attacking move going, but he breaks up play well and working alongside a Lavia (or similar) he's a useful asset IMO. Steady player; great at some things, poor at others.

Yet for all his good work, he gave the ball away extremely cheaply with an under-hit pass in the lead up to their first goal. It's something he does an awful lot.

If he could just practice getting his weight of pass right and improve it, he would instantly become a much better player.