Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

That short article is based on Jones saying yesterday:

“You’re better off ringing the Home Office to find out. We can keep asking but until we get clarification on their work permits, neither will be involved.”

That doesn't rule out the permits being granted between yesterday's press conference and the game today.

Very true. The Home Office are renowned for their commitment to work, especially working out of hours on a Friday night / over the weekend.  They're all over that dedication!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Very true. The Home Office are renowned for their commitment to work, especially working out of hours on a Friday night / over the weekend.  They're all over that dedication!

I agree it's unlikely, but the press conference was just after lunchtime so there were still several working hours left for someone to get their rubber stamp out of their arse. So not totally implausible.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Chelsea had managed to get a permit for one of their new signings, maybe they paid for fast track service. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

That short article is based on Jones saying yesterday:

“You’re better off ringing the Home Office to find out. We can keep asking but until we get clarification on their work permits, neither will be involved.”

That doesn't rule out the permits being granted between yesterday's press conference and the game today.

yes some positive thinking am loving it.

Operation siege tower is still possible

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You just posted something i quite clearly haven’t posted. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also everyone is of the same opinion, where do you stand on Nathan Jones? Are you going to be over the moon if he plays a back five, Lyanco, Bednarek, Adam Armstrong etc? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not everyone is of the same opinion 

9 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You have to admit though that he doesn’t help himself with his comments in press conferences about the fans, and that his decisions are somewhat baffling, especially around team selection.

He’s got his golden child Bree who will no doubt play RB, he’ll pop KWP over to LB, he’ll pick Bednarek and Lyanco who are extremely poor, and part of me wouldn’t be surprised if he played the likes of Armstrong, Djenepo etc.

He needs to take a risk and play players in their proper positions and go attacking. Not five at the back.

I think what he is trying to address is the fact that pre his appointment we have been vulnerable by picking short fullbacks ( KWP, Cedric etc ). This has made us open to basically cross field passes and balls over the top ( ooeerrrr ). He is trying to stop this much like Newcastle have with the the tall lad they bought from Brighton. 

When you read posters saying they miss Ralph, it really makes you realise just how poor Jones has been. I really have no confidence in us getting anything out today, which would be a massive missed opportunity. Throwing the Newcastle game (because that’s what he did) was not a great idea as it did nothing to bolster the fragile mentality of the squad right now.

My prediction for today? 3-1 Brentford.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

When you read posters saying they miss Ralph, it really makes you realise just how poor Jones has been. I really have no confidence in us getting anything out today, which would be a massive missed opportunity. Throwing the Newcastle game (because that’s what he did) was not a great idea as it did nothing to bolster the fragile mentality of the squad right now.

My prediction for today? 3-1 Brentford.

You have to wander what Ralph could do with our current squad. Orsic and Alcaraz as 10's in a 4222 would be excellent imo. Onuauchu and Adams in a front 2 could be Decent too. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the team is today. Jones claims it will be our strongest team and whilst I understand he won't be able to do anything is kwp has a knock or the new players haven't got their work permits, it will still be telling who is in and who is out. 

Don’t get your hopes up - he said something about it being the “physically” strongest. Which gives him an out as we don’t know the numbers.

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the team is today. Jones claims it will be our strongest team and whilst I understand he won't be able to do anything is kwp has a knock or the new players haven't got their work permits, it will still be telling who is in and who is out. 

Yeah i agree. Once again Jones has set himself up here, this will be his best 11, not necessarily THE best 11 so if he plays Lyanco, Janny B etc and we lose yet again it will show his complete incompetence......with all due respect of course.

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

My prediction:

Bazunu

Bree Lyanco Bednarek Salisu Perraud

JWP Lavia Elyounoussi

Armstrong Adams

Lose 3-0

42 minutes ago, egg said:

You have to wander what Ralph could do with our current squad. Orsic and Alcaraz as 10's in a 4222 would be excellent imo. Onuauchu and Adams in a front 2 could be Decent too. 

Perhaps, and I liked Ralph, but Brentford away last season reminds me of one of the worst displays I've seen from a Saints team, let's see how we do today in comparison.  

• Like 1

Playing a back 5 with this squad is the equivalent of Brexit. Handicapping yourself for no reason whatsoever with a  rubbish deluded leader and Lyanco as Matt hanCOCK  and bednarek as Nadine Dorries.

Play a back 5 and we lose with a poor performance and it will turn toxic today and rightly so. 

Going today seems like a chore

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

Playing a back 5 with this squad is the equivalent of Brexit. Handicapping yourself for no reason whatsoever with a  rubbish deluded leader and Lyanco as Matt hanCOCK  and bednarek as Nadine Dorries.

Play a back 5 and we lose with a poor performance and it will turn toxic today and rightly so. 

I agree. It has been ages since it seemed even remotely like fun

3 minutes ago, saintjimbo83 said:

The best thing about Brexit is how it triggers people like you, but you are correct playing a back 5 is like being hamstrung by complying to the laws made up by the EU.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I like the Brexit analogy but it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to do with our starting eleven today. 

Would’ve been easier to say if we play with a back five today then the players performance will be like the government - shit.

Matter of opinion though.

I just wish he’d play players in their natural positions and take the game to them. We aren’t staying up by trying to draw 0-0 every match.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

The best thing about Brexit is how it triggers people like you, but you are correct playing a back 5 is like being hamstrung by complying to the laws made up by the EU.

Ah !

Have we found a Brexit benefit at last ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Do you mean actual laws or one’s made up by Boris when he ‘worked’ for The Telegraph as a ‘journalist ‘ based in europe  ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

You mean the Laws (actually Directives) agreed by the EU when the UK was a leading member that often formulated those Directives, and were voted on by the democratically elected European Parliament. If "triggering people" is the "best thing about Brexit" that illustrates nicely what benefits Brexit has brought about. We wouldn't be having any problems with work visas for our new players if it wasn't for Brexit (just to get this back on topic). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint NL said:

Stat from BBC sport:

• Mohamed Elyounoussi has attempted the most shots (28) and had the joint-most on target (8) of all Premier League players yet to score this season.

I don't remember him ever having a shot 😂

Good. By that logic he’ll not get a place in Jones team today.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Incidentally, Dyche is doing with Everton what he should have been doing with us…making them look a much tougher team to beat and creating chances. Might not last the 2nd half, but I fancy their chances more than ours right now.

He’s doing (in the 45 minutes he’s had so far) what any competent manager should be doing with that squad. Pickford, Tark, Coady, Onana, Gueye, DCL and co. Should not be in a relegation fight.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic