Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, SaintJakko said:

I try, I try my absolute hardest to support Jones, but Jesus Christ. I just cannot. Not even being a jump on the negative wave brigade. But when a manager does so much wrong, says so much shit, how can you even be positive that we will do ANYTHING different tomorrow. 

THEN PLAYS 4 senior players in a youth game, not only meaning they will be ruled out tomorrow due to fitness, but also gives away half your formation for tomorrows game!!! He’s a moron. Simply put.. 

The same manager who during the first leg of the Semi final, had Salisu warm up in a differing position to the position he was starting in.?

Let's not pretend we can prejudge this, because the whole point is we probably want Brentford to prejudge our formation based on today's B team game 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Nolan said:

The same manager who during the first leg of the Semi final, had Salisu warm up in a differing position to the position he was starting in.?

Let's not pretend we can prejudge this, because the whole point is we probably want Brentford to prejudge our formation based on today's B team game 

If today's B-Team selection was a smokescreen to confuse Brentford and we go onto win the game then i'll concede that Jones is a genius :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

As good a job Ralph did with such limited resources, the calendar year of 2022 performances (90th out of 92 professional teams) gets every manager on the planet the sack. We were patient as fans and the club were patient too, it had run its course no matter how much I liked him or how good a calibre of manager he was.

For me the calibre of Ralph’s replacement remains the issue. Still do feel sad about Ralph as he was the most likeable manager we’ve had in a very long time.

Did Ralph give any kind of leaving statement btw?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Apparently DCC played today because he's been missing games and corporal fucking Jones doesn't want him to lose his rhythm.

He seems to have forgotten that he picked the team that led to DCC missing the game in the first place.

Clueless.

He picked a team that resulted in a player getting two bookings and then banned? That’s a bit of a stretch

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

He picked a team that resulted in a player getting two bookings and then banned? That’s a bit of a stretch

He was suspended for the FA Cup game, he could have played in the 2nd leg but was left on the bench.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

This will be a draw. And draws are not enough now. 

I’m inclined to agree, and baby steps aren’t enough now, but a strong Brentford side at home coupled with what we can only assume will be a rubbish Saints starting line up… I’d take a draw here to keep us in touching distance with those above us. Then PO and KS can bed in allowing us to hopefully start beating teams to come. (Wishful thinking perhaps!)

A surprise win tomorrow though… that will be massive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

give it a rest.

You just posted something i quite clearly haven’t posted. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also everyone is of the same opinion, where do you stand on Nathan Jones? Are you going to be over the moon if he plays a back five, Lyanco, Bednarek, Adam Armstrong etc? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

On 01/02/2023 at 21:10, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’s fucking miserable. But ironically he’s probably right…

Brentford will be really tough.
If we don’t take six or seven points this month then I think that will be curtains for us. 
January and February were out more “winnable” games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BUT, we need to take the game to Brentford, and actually I think we will, it’ll be very tight! 

As said above, fine margins make a difference, someone to create and finish we have brought in, let’s take it to them! 💪🏻

@Nolan Conpletely bypassing my post from the other night before you go down the “get behind the team” route.

👍🏻

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You just posted something i quite clearly haven’t posted. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Also everyone is of the same opinion, where do you stand on Nathan Jones? Are you going to be over the moon if he plays a back five, Lyanco, Bednarek, Adam Armstrong etc? 🤷🏻‍♂️

the last manager was berated as he couldnt change formation. our current manager plays multiple formations in a game.

I'm more interested in getting goals, as you cant win games without them.

Luckily, our owners have backed our manager with people who can create goals.

• Like 1

I've supported Jones for the most part, but if he starts Lyanco in a back 5 tomorrow then I'm done There can be no justification for starting him, even with DCC and ABK playing for the B team earlier. He is simply not a good defender. And the players clearly dont understand whats required of them in a 5-3-2.

I think the best we can hope for with the B team selection and KWPs hamstring niggle is;

McCarthy (unlikely)

Bree     Bednarek   Salisu    Perraud

Lavia         Alcaraz

Elyounoussi    JWP        Edozie

Adams

This team fills me with zero confidence, but at least for future games we should have KWP, DCC/ABK, Sulemama Orsic and Onuachu in the starting lineup......if (a big IF) Jones selects them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I've supported Jones for the most part, but if he starts Lyanco in a back 5 tomorrow then I'm done There can be no justification for starting him, even with DCC and ABK playing for the B team earlier. He is simply not a good defender. And the players clearly dont understand whats required of them in a 5-3-2.

I think the best we can hope for with the B team selection and KWPs hamstring niggle is;

McCarthy (unlikely)

Lavia         Alcaraz

Elyounoussi    JWP        Edozie

Adams

This team fills me with zero confidence, but at least for future games we should have KWP, DCC/ABK, Sulemama Orsic and Onuachu in the starting lineup......if (a big IF) Jones selects them

Couldn't agree more re that team filling with no confidence - if Janny B plays we lose IMO - he's rusty and he's probably our worst CB even when he's at his best. Ely is simply not good enough, Adams scored a worldy midweek so the odds are against him scoring.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Apparently DCC played today because he's been missing games and corporal fucking Jones doesn't want him to lose his rhythm.

He seems to have forgotten that he picked the team that led to DCC missing the game in the first place.

Clueless.

What makes that explanation farcical is playing Bednarek the other night (ok, he wasn't awful but we have three much better CBs) who had hardly played during his loan period.   

• Like 2

Given who played today, I'm guessing he'll play his mate at right back and Bednarek and Salisu will be the centres. Don't think that's too bad, but Adams needs someone up with him. The beanpole? I'm expecting him to pick him or Sulemana as starters because surely by now he's realised that Ely and the others he inherited aren't first team material.  Going for:-

Baz  

Lavia         Alcaraz

JWP               Edozie

Adams        Onuachu

And a 0-1 win to give us hope. Sadly, I never bet against my interests (and lost a lot in the process!).

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

the last manager was berated as he couldnt change formation. our current manager plays multiple formations in a game.

I'm more interested in getting goals, as you cant win games without them.

Luckily, our owners have backed our manager with people who can create goals.

You have to admit though that he doesn’t help himself with his comments in press conferences about the fans, and that his decisions are somewhat baffling, especially around team selection.

He’s got his golden child Bree who will no doubt play RB, he’ll pop KWP over to LB, he’ll pick Bednarek and Lyanco who are extremely poor, and part of me wouldn’t be surprised if he played the likes of Armstrong, Djenepo etc.

He needs to take a risk and play players in their proper positions and go attacking. Not five at the back.

The revised predicted team from fantasy scout below. They're predicting a back 3 due to the size of their team, despite it not working against Newcastle. 

My hunch is a back 4 though, with a CB at full back (Lyanco on the right). 

The fantasy scout prediction:

Screenshot_20230204-055634.png

• Sad 1

Question - if Enzo Fernandez can come in and play a friday night game for chelsea why cant Paul and Kamaldeen (yes i am on first name terms with them).

I would defo have paul starting and bring him off as required if he is tiring or not at the races, I'd also bring on the ghanian gangster at 60mins to cook the brentford right back and get in 3 nutmegs at least in his 30mins.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Question - if Enzo Fernandez can come in and play a friday night game for chelsea why cant Paul and Kamaldeen (yes i am on first name terms with them).

I would defo have paul starting and bring him off as required if he is tiring or not at the races, I'd also bring on the ghanian gangster at 60mins to destroy the brentford right back and get in 3 nutmegs at least in his 30mins.

Work permits. He had one. Our boys haven't.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

That short article is based on Jones saying yesterday:

“You’re better off ringing the Home Office to find out. We can keep asking but until we get clarification on their work permits, neither will be involved.”

That doesn't rule out the permits being granted between yesterday's press conference and the game today.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic