Worst Saints manager ever?

Dark Munster

Worst Saints manager ever?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the worst Saints' manager ever?

• Branfoot
    • Souness
    • Gray
    • Wigley
    • Redknapp
    • Poortvliet
    • Wotte
    • Hughes
    • Pellegrino
    • N. Jones
    • Other (specify in comments)

Jones is the worst, by virtue of his lack of humility and total absence of anything resembling ability, authority and the total collapse of the club's playing form in his short time in charge despite being given more money at his disposal then any manager in our history. Second highest spenders in Europe for heaven's sake.

The only one to come close is Saggy, and even then at least didn't have the resources to play with.

• Like 4

Jones.

Nobody else comes close. We've got no identity on the pitch, he's an embarrassment every time he speaks, he doesn't pick his best players, he doesn't play to the strengths of the players he does pick, his game management is shocking, etc, etc,etc. 

I expected it to be a monumental clusterfuck of an appointment, but it's much worse than that. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Colinjb said:

Jones is the worst, by virtue of his lack of humility and total absence of anything resembling ability, authority and the total collapse of the club's playing form in his short time in charge despite being given more money at his disposal then any manager in our history. Second highest spenders in Europe for heaven's sake.

The only one to come close is Saggy, and even then at least didn't have the resources to play with.

I'm having difficulty deciding between those two. Saggy got rid of Beattie, was an obnoxious tit who also threw the players under the bus, finished bottom of the league, and was a skate infiltrator by all accounts (thumbs up to Mad Milan after the Krapnottarf capitulation, and buggered off back to them after the damage was done). True he didn't have as much to spend, but he did have a squad with some decent payers, and by all accounts he did bugger all during training, spending all his time on his phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

I'm having difficulty deciding between those two. Saggy got rid of Beattie, was an obnoxious tit who also threw the players under the bus, finished bottom of the league, and was a skate infiltrator by all accounts (thumbs up to Mad Milan after the Krapnottarf capitulation, and buggered off back to them after the damage was done). True he didn't have as much to spend, but he did have a squad with some decent payers, and by all accounts he did bugger all during training, spending all his time on his phone.

True, he was undone by his fundamental disinterest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Blimey that's a bit of a motley crew. How do you pick the worst out of all that shite !

Jones had a month + to work with a squad, and we in touch with teams around us. He then had a load of new players. Despite that he's managed to make us worse than we were before he arrived.

I can't think of another manager who's come near being that bad, hence me picking him. 

• Like 8

Pellegrino and his Carrillo waste of money will always be top of this list for me. But Jones is top 3 now with Poortvliet. I was only a fleeting Saints fan during the Branfoot era so largely bypassed it. Hughes was pretty crap too. Poortvliet is harsh because he didn't have the money but he was still awful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Unhappily I’ve seen us play under all of those managers. Some were truly crap others didn’t get the best deal but I have to say that Nathan Jones is without doubt the most inept, out of his depth clueless manager of the lot.

And sadly our dynamic board won’t act swiftly adding to the chaos.

4 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

The Branfoot years were too early for me. Close call between Wigley and Jones. Taking the recency bias out of it, its Wigley for me

Such a strange appointment. I remember when he was appointed I don’t think there was even a formal announcement, he was interviewed but the press and asked who was now in charge of the first team and he just replied “me” looked very surprised and I comfortable. 

branfoot was horrendous, but everything about Jones is worse 

Edited by Turkish

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Such a strange appointment. I remember when he was appointed I don’t think there was even a formal announcement, he was interviewed but the press and asked who was now in charge of the first team and he just replied “me” looked very surprised and I comfortable. 

branfoot was horrendous, but everything about Jones is worse 

1 win in 14, albeit against Pompey. For all the shit that Redknapp gets (alot of it deserved), if we had've got rid of Wigley when we should have we would have stayed up

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Beattie didn’t want leave 

• Like 1

Pellegrino the worst for me, and the worst manager the Premier League has seen imo. Took over from a manager who got us 8th and nearly won a cup, whilst juggling Europe. Would’ve relegated us for certain, and then signed his mate for a record fee when he should’ve been sacked long before, then to compound it gets to take him on loan to whatever Spanish minnow he went to next - couldn’t write it really. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Pellegrino the worst for me, and the worst manager the Premier League has seen imo. Took over from a manager who got us 8th and nearly won a cup, whilst juggling Europe. Would’ve relegated us for certain, and then signed his mate for a record fee when he should’ve been sacked long before, then to compound it gets to take him on loan to whatever Spanish minnow he went to next - couldn’t write it really. 

like many of the terrible managers, did well in the cup 

Pfft, I'm still a bit torn. Jones feels worst because it's fresh, but I was possibly more depressed during the Branfoot years. I'm a bit older now so it doesn't affect me as much. Also found pellegrino thoroughly depressing. In fairness though, I don't think I've seen a saints starting 11 look so disjointed as they do with jones, so putting to the side how much of a knobhead he is I think for me he just edges out the other two.

13 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Would’ve relegated us for certain, and then signed his mate for a record fee when he should’ve been sacked long before, then to compound it gets to take him on loan to whatever Spanish minnow he went to next - couldn’t write it really. 

Reminds me of that time our Director of Football Operations signed his friend as manager, just before handing in his notice to leave at the end of the season. I wonder if Matt Crocker can make room for Nathan Jones at his next role.

Branfoot was before my time, so I voted for Stuart Gray as we were on a massive up when he took over from Hoddle (and actually had some good results as caretaker) but as full time manager he stopped some big momentum 

Jones comes in second, the only reason is we were already on a massive massive massive downward trajectory when he took over

**only joking but maybe we should get hoddle back as we played 4-3-3 that season and it seems so obvious that we should be playing that now, Davies-Beattie-Pahars was a fun trio**

Edited by MAY-Z
  • Like 1

Jones has had 60M spent this month, had a pre season with nothing to show for it, has worsened performances by any metric, has caused serious disharmony in the squad, has fully alienated the entire fanbase, and has turned the club into a laughing stock. The only person at the club who is more incompetant is Rasmus. 

Edited by Saint86

I know these topics tend to get emotive and irrational after another defeat but it really is hard to make a case for a manager worse than Jones. Redknapp and Wigley were both lumbered with a bloated squad of substandard bargains and aging, injured has-beens, especially in defence. Poortvliet was the other end of the spectrum with a thin squad stuffed with kids, but sometimes had us playing with some sort of style and had the odd decent result. MoPe and Hughes collectively kept us up, so that’s…. Something. Branfoot was before my time so I can’t really comment. Sourness wasn’t this bad and Wotte actually did alright for a while, when Saganowski came back from Aalborg and started scoring.

Jones though… not one redeeming feature or mitigating factor. Ralph had this squad at least fighting relegation, without Lavia, Alcaraz, Paul, Sully or Orsic (I refuse to count Bednarek or Bree as additions to our squad).

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I know these topics tend to get emotive and irrational after another defeat but it really is hard to make a case for a manager worse than Jones. Redknapp and Wigley were both lumbered with a bloated squad of substandard bargains and aging, injured has-beens, especially in defence. Poortvliet was the other end of the spectrum with a thin squad stuffed with kids, but sometimes had us playing with some sort of style and had the odd decent result. MoPe and Hughes collectively kept us up, so that’s…. Something. Branfoot was before my time so I can’t really comment. Sourness wasn’t this bad and Wotte actually did alright for a while, when Saganowski came back from Aalborg and started scoring.

Jones though… not one redeeming feature or mitigating factor. Ralph had this squad at least fighting relegation, without Lavia, Alcaraz, Paul, Sully or Orsic (I refuse to count Bednarek or Bree as additions to our squad).

Ralph did better because he didn’t have Bednarek. He had got rid of him for a season.

Nope - you lot have got short memories or dodgy history tutors!

Only one manager came (and from the evil smelling end of the M27), spent loads of money on crap players, took us down to the Championship and then fuktorf down the road saying his 'eart 'ad never been in it' 

There will never be anyone who has done more harm to my club and I despise him!

• Like 4

• Branfoot
    awful football but did win games & had MLT, Shearer, Flowers et al 
  • Souness
    Played some great football at times & kept saints up even if that was more Terry Cooper 
  • Gray
    Got job for loyalty & long service, needed a proper assistant 
  • Wigley
    Massive Mistake. Hampered by injuries to Beattie, Phillips & Crouch
  • Redknapp
    Never wanted to be here but did win some games
  • Poortvliet
    Tried to play football but only had kids
  • Wotte
    Same as Poortvliet
  • Hughes
    saved saints from relegation & didn’t let Swansea dirty tricks interfere 
  • Pellegrino
    Nice guy just awful manager 
  • N. Jones         
    Has managed to unite the fan base in hatred towards him, fallen out with the players & coaching staff (allegedly), lost almost every game
    Hoddle - great tactically but lacking the human touch - if only spurs didn’t come in or Lowe had stood by the reappointment 
  • Puel - organised but boring at SMS & failed in europe - if only Fonte stayed & VVD didn’t get injured 

25 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

• Branfoot
    awful football but did win games & had MLT, Shearer, Flowers et al 
  • Souness
    Played some great football at times & kept saints up even if that was more Terry Cooper 
  • Gray
    Got job for loyalty & long service, needed a proper assistant 
  • Wigley
    Massive Mistake. Hampered by injuries to Beattie, Phillips & Crouch
  • Redknapp
    Never wanted to be here but did win some games
  • Poortvliet
    Tried to play football but only had kids
  • Wotte
    Same as Poortvliet
  • Hughes
    saved saints from relegation & didn’t let Swansea dirty tricks interfere 
  • Pellegrino
    Nice guy just awful manager 
  • N. Jones         
    Has managed to unite the fan base in hatred towards him, fallen out with the players & coaching staff (allegedly), lost almost every game
    Hoddle - great tactically but lacking the human touch - if only spurs didn’t come in or Lowe had stood by the reappointment 
  • Puel - organised but boring at SMS & failed in europe - if only Fonte stayed & VVD didn’t get injured 

Very good summary, thank you but I would add about Branfoot---didn't win many games and kept Le Tiss on the bench 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to Wikipedia, between Sept 1955 and May 1991, we had three managers covering 1682 games...

Since then we have had thirty managers (incl. caretakers) covering 1368 games..  I know football has changed a lot over this period, but it would be interesting to compare this against other, more balanced, clubs..

5 minutes ago, Channons Windmill said:

According to Wikipedia, between Sept 1955 and May 1991, we had three managers covering 1682 games...

Since then we have had thirty managers (incl. caretakers) covering 1368 games..  I know football has changed a lot over this period, but it would be interesting to compare this against other, more balanced, clubs..

Any chance we could get Alfred McMinn back?