Jesse Marsch

saintscottofthenortham

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Is Rasmus a genetically modified Frankenstein hybrid of Clive Woodward, Rupert Lowe and Simon Clifford. Those  who also tried to reinvent the football wheel??? Grrrr 

In retrospect when you look at the way sport science has evolved, including the Transit van of mattresses turning up at away hotels for the players under the Cortese regime - Woodward was probably the sanest of the lot  - but with Jurassic Arry around the place he was on a hiding to nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

tHiS mEaNS wE cAn sTiLL gEt GrAHam PoTtEr wHeN ChELseA sAcK hiM

Indeed!  How exciting!  Saturday Girl will be over the moon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64628885

Wait, what, hold on a minute, what do you mean?????

Is Potter about to get sacked?

The short answer is no. Potter's future will not be determined by success in the Champions League this season or the team's ability to qualify for the competition again next season either by winning it, or finishing in the top four in the league

20 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

So two days ago Marsch was useless, tactically inept, and a terrible appointment and it means the board have given up and it's a shamble, and we may as well have Selles in charge because the players really like him...

Today, the board are useless and have given up because we couldn't sign the manager that everyone thought was useless and would 100% take us down... 

If they don't see him as a long term solution at present, and he doesn't want a shorter term contract or a contract with clauses, then it's probably better to part ways. Personally he wouldn't have been my choice given his recent history, particularly at Leipzig, but I was happy to give him a chance given our predicament. However I don't think "missing out" on him is the be all and end all. 

Selles was brought in as a potential long term replacement for Ralph. I don't think rushing out to get a manager that may not save us from relegation anyway and just cause more issues is the right thing to do (I'm not saying that is or isn't Marsch). If the right person comes along then great! 

(a) not everyone thought JM would be a disaster 

(b) sounds like he pulled out (as “not convinced”), not the club. That says a lot. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, James said:

Was appointed in pre-season when we decided to continue with Ralph but overhauled the coaching staff. Point is, he has (at least in part) been a mainstay of this god awful season. The idea that he can now step up and save us and that he’s a better bet than a manager like Marsch is a complete joke. 

I can't see how anyone can judge Sellers as a manager after 6 months as a coach to Ralph and Tom Jones. I don:y think he is the right man to manage is this season but I don't think he should be thrown on the scrap heap based on what has happened this term.

I think the way forward is to bring James Beattie and Marianne Spacey in as a triumvirate with Ruben.

1 minute ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Wouldn’t blame the club its stance either.

Exactly! 

While I was onboard with him, I don't think anyone thought he'd 100% keep us up. And if they don't think he's capable of doing a job long term then you can't blame them for that. 

He's had to disasters in his last two jobs and we were willing to give him a chance. It works both ways, why do we take all the risk when he also has a lot to prove. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Do you remember how shit we were against Sheffield Wednesday with him in charge?

Indeed. Djenepo RB. Salisu LB. Laboured to a penalty win. Never managed beyond a brief spell managing kids. On no level is this guy what we need. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

It’s not rocket science is it.

We wanted him on a short term contract to help us get out of relegation, he wants reassurance that if he does he could sign a longer contract but the club probably don’t rate him that high.

In the summer Potter, Carrick plus many others would be great for us but at the moment those better targets are not available yet.

Completely illogical. If he kept us up from this position he would be a legend and would rightfully be kept on. You think we'd sack him and bring Carrick in? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

I'm calling it now, Theo Walcott player-manager.

Would be a dam sight better than Jones, he’d at least not make an utter prat out of himself on national media while telling everyone who will listen how amazing he is!  On a serious note I doubt he has the coaching badges required or the desire!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

What an absolute clusterf()ck of a club. Not unreasonable for Marsch to want some security, especially if we’re selling him this grandiose vision beyond this year.

Will cost us a lot more going down than it will giving him a few extra £££s.

I did think it was weird the media were reporting yesterday he was ‘happy’ with 6 months. Sounds like this was released from our end, to apply pressure of some sort. 

Im sure the club are relaxed and confident though, absolute amateurish shiseters. 

Is it Semmens at the table on this one? Wouldn't surprise me. You're not order a load of marker pens for marketing brainstorming sessions now Martin, sort it out. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

Having seen how they perform at fan's forums I imagine fairly lengthy talks with Ankersen and Semmens would be enough to put anyone off joining this basket case of a football club.

Would you want to work for Semmens? Smug, full of business speak but about as inspiring as a paint brush. Then you've got Ankersen, looks the part but thinks hes god gift to football. What a pair.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, benjii said:

Completely illogical. If he kept us up from this position he would be a legend and would rightfully be kept on. You think we'd sack him and bring Carrick in? 

Don't listen to him, SFC would never do anything that foolish. For one thing, last summer he said we were in for Nathan Fucking Jones FFS and... oh.

• Haha 1

Perhaps the guy who was about to relegate Leeds was offered the last oar in Shit Creek, but demanded an outboard engine.

We'll never know the truth of what has occurred, but neither he nor the club are in any position to make pushy demands - he's got a recent CV like a fucking car crash and we're bottom.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Would you want to work for Semmens? Smug, full of business speak but about as inspiring as a paint brush. Then you've got Ankersen, looks the part but thinks hes god gift to football. What a pair.

Those two would be enough to send most sane people running to the hills. Probably explains why we ended up with Mad Nate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

I predict we get 2 or 3 more losses under Selles and then go crawling back with an improved offer, meeting his demands and again, SR would have wasted more time and we'll have been all but relegated at that stage.

Well if it's 3 losses it'll mean we've been knocked out of the FA Cup at home to Grimsby.

• Haha 1

Not sure why people are getting so upset. Imagine we had given him a longer contract, he had no impact, we were relegated and started the new season badly, people would be coming on here screaming that we were stupid to give him such a long contract. I think we’ve been very prudent here. The board, who don’t get me wrong as I’m no fan of them, obviously were not convinced Marsch was totally the man they wanted. They’ve acted properly in this instance.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, LegalEagle said:

Not sure why people are getting so upset. Imagine we had given him a longer contract, he had no impact, we were relegated and started the new season badly, people would be coming on here screaming that we were stupid to give him such a long contract. I think we’ve been very prudent here. The board, who don’t get me wrong as I’m no fan of them, obviously were not convinced Marsch was totally the man they wanted. They’ve acted properly in this instance.

Hang on.  If they weren't convinced Marsch was totally the man they wanted, surely they shouldn't have offered a contract in the first place? That would have been the 'proper' thing to do wouldn't it?

• Like 2

SR seem a bunch of lightweights. All image, managmentspeak and hairwax, but no depth or substance.

Was never keen on Marsch. Let's see how Selles does for now, he is highly regarded by the shop floor. We are in a right pickle and need to get the long term substantive appointment right. 

• Like 1

I cannot believe what is going on. Marsch actually wanted to come, he is a good motivator and could have brought some optimism to the team. I just think it is rude and disrespectful  of SR to only offer him a deal to the end of the season, when he is an experienced manager.

I don't know how much of an active role Selles had in the club - how much did Nate or Ralph involve him? So cannot really judge his ability. The reporters says he will need a coach to help him - would be great if that was someone like Bielsa but doubt it. Selles will probably also need help with media duties too.

One thing we have in common with Leeds - we are a laughing stock!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Hang on.  If they weren't convinced Marsch was totally the man they wanted, surely they shouldn't have offered a contract in the first place? That would have been the 'proper' thing to do wouldn't it?

Perhaps he was just seen as the best of a bad bunch - hence why the short contract offer

3 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Yeah plus Ankersen can't afford to waste any more of Dragan's hard earned - pigs need feeding you know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

Then why approach him in the first place, let alone offer him a contract? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Well that's odd, I assumed this was all done. The short-term thing makes more sense to us, than to him - maybe.

But I can see why we were keen on a short-term deal from our side.

We've created this shit storm by getting it all wrong in the summer and then November. Now we're somewhat paddling against the tide.

1 hour ago, jayrivers said:

So two days ago Marsch was useless, tactically inept, and a terrible appointment and it means the board have given up and it's a shamble, and we may as well have Selles in charge because the players really like him...

Today, the board are useless and have given up because we couldn't sign the manager that everyone thought was useless and would 100% take us down... 

If they don't see him as a long term solution at present, and he doesn't want a shorter term contract or a contract with clauses, then it's probably better to part ways. Personally he wouldn't have been my choice given his recent history, particularly at Leipzig, but I was happy to give him a chance given our predicament. However I don't think "missing out" on him is the be all and end all. 

Selles was brought in as a potential long term replacement for Ralph. I don't think rushing out to get a manager that may not save us from relegation anyway and just cause more issues is the right thing to do (I'm not saying that is or isn't Marsch). If the right person comes along then great! 

Except it wasn't everyone, was it?  

On 14/02/2023 at 12:45, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Jesse Marsch or Jess Thorup?!

I am happy to get behind Marsch if we are indeed about to appoint him, but I can't say I am excited by his appointment!

I am hoping that this is all based on a rumour that sprung from someone hearing the name 'Jesse' mentioned by someone on the board. I am hoping that rather than appointing Jesse Marsch the board are planning instead to appoint Jess Thorup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Thorup

Jess Thorup is (I have read) known to Ankerson and has brilliant stats in terms of wins - over 50% in most of his managerial career. He is also currently without a club.

Please, please, please, let our imminent appointment be Jess Thorup rather than Jesse Marsch!!! :D

Interesting Selles was assistant under him at Copenhagen.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LegalEagle said:

That's a stretch. They failed to back and then fired a decent manager who would likely have kept us up, wasted the winter break hiring an awful manager on a long contract, kept said numpty for far too long (wasting valuable games), sacked him without a replacement in place, and are now currently failing to hire a replacement despite the club being rudderless and running rapidly out of time.... Far from acting properly, you have to surely ask WTF are they doing if they're wasting even more time now (which we don't have) talking to managers that they aren't happy to have in charge in the championship or who have no interest in a short term deal... IMO the timespan should be made clear at the outset, and they should really be talking to managers for next season - then if we stay up its a bonus... Seems likely something is amiss on one of those points since we've wasted 4 days on Marsch only for it to break down over contract length... talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6