Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Very good player, but there were links to PL clubs earlier - Bournemouth one of them I think

Bristol City have scared off suitors with their £30-35m asking price though, so it's not something we can get near.

I know its the sun but..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23039671/bristol-city-slash-price-alex-scott-premier-league-transfer/

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Wonder if a move for Alex Scott could be a go, especially as it seems top division clubs aren't going to move for him it seems just yet. Would be pricey but looks a silky player who can carry the ball between lines. 

Hopefully, would improve the pre match entertainment, seems to be the darling of the football media at the moment so would improve our PR and she's fit as well.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yes please! This lad can play so would love him at the club. Not sure how likely it is to happen but he'd be a great addition.

Alex Scott I predict will be a super star , if we can get him we would have a superb potential talent ...........he might not want to come however even though he was originally on our books as a kid and rejected we do well with players born in Guernsey

Alex Scott signed for Isthmian League side Guernsey on turning 16 having previously trained with the youth teams of Southampton and AFC Bournemouth,[2] 

Just now, charliemiller said:

Alex Scott I predict will be a super star , if we can get him we would have a superb potential talent ...........he might not want to come however even though he was originally on our books as a kid and rejected we do well with players born in Guernsey

Alex Scott signed for Isthmian League side Guernsey on turning 16 having previously trained with the youth teams of Southampton and AFC Bournemouth,[2] 

I VERY much doubt Scott comes here personally.

Tella isn't proven in the Premier league (yet) and we all know what can happen to players who score a hatful in the Championship. There is no doubt he is a talent and there is a strong argument for keeping him for this season. However, with such a big squad players have to be moved on, particularly where we have multiple players fighting for the same position. If Burnley push their bid up to £12/13 million I can see the club accepting it with a bunch of maybe bonuses. No different to buying a house really, you never get what you want but you make the sale because it gets things moving.

Some of our major players will move on, most of us will have accepted that, its more about whether we can move players on who don't feature in Martin's plans, and keep one or two of the genuine game changing players.

I think keeping S Armstrong, Stephens, Tino, Alcaraz, and possibly Bendarek will be a good result. I know Stephens isn't rated by some on here but he is a consistent footballer and fits Martin's style of play. He adds a bit of fire to the team in attitude and that is something that is missing at moment. I'd love JWP to stay but I can't see it unfortunately, same for Sulimana as I think there is a proper footballer in there somewhere. I'm really not over bothered by any of the others going. If  the likes of ABK or Salisu do end up staying then they seriously need to sort their attitude out. They were instrumental in taking us down so need a bit of fire in their belly to fight hard for our promotion.

Sooner or later the dominoes will start to fall as the same process gets moving in the Premier League. Nothing happens until that money starts dripping down.

probably a fan site but funny how a club has to be "sensible" when it's west ham buying, but doesn't apply when they are selling

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-make-southampton-demand-before-continuing-james-ward-prowse-talks-and-it-could-make-or-break-the-deal/

And the club is demanding the Saints be ‘sensible’ about the fee in order to get a deal done.

“Thus far we have stuck to the £25 million offer made a few days back…” the report states.

“Before any of that happens the Irons have to arrive at price which is reasonable for a player of his age as explained to us exclusively by our major source.

“He said: “We are in talks but have to bring down the price to a sensible level for a 28 year old”.”

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Dman said:

Fuck them. the ones with 'PL quality' have let us down for a few seasons now. 

They might be good players individually but as a squad they were very poor. No fight, No bottle, No quality. 

I'd rather we got rid of the lot and rebuilt again in the eventuality of going up. 

I kinda see where you're coming from but as many point out on here if we don't let these high flying promising youngsters leave then raw talent like the two Sam's won't want to join us in the first place. It's a pity that we can't keep them here contractually for at least two years so that we get some benefit as a team from their stay. It's not all about money after all it is also about building a team that can give us success for years to come.

It is reported that Lavia has not been pushing too hard for an early exit yet that is exactly what is happening. So one is bound to ask where was the benefit to Saints apart from cash of having him here in the first place? As you say he hasn't added much to the overall team performance and certainly didn't help us avoid relegation. He was a big part of the problem as a regular member of our inept midfield.

On the other hand if he stayed for another season he might actually be back to playing in the PL with us and be part of our solution.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

probably a fan site but funny how a club has to be "sensible" when it's west ham buying, but doesn't apply when they are selling

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-make-southampton-demand-before-continuing-james-ward-prowse-talks-and-it-could-make-or-break-the-deal/

And the club is demanding the Saints be ‘sensible’ about the fee in order to get a deal done.

“Thus far we have stuck to the £25 million offer made a few days back…” the report states.

“Before any of that happens the Irons have to arrive at price which is reasonable for a player of his age as explained to us exclusively by our major source.

“He said: “We are in talks but have to bring down the price to a sensible level for a 28 year old”.”

Cheeky b*stards! Pay up or shut up!

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

What a load of old shite

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

F****** hypocrites. 50m+ cash or 35m cash plus Downes

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Not taking this too serious, but it's hilarious really.

Our relatively strong financial position, plus JWP's long-standing bond with the club means he would always command top dollar.

If the reports are true that the club didn't exercise the relegation wage deduction then it's absolutely clear to me that (a) we will only sell if a huge offer comes in and (b) both the player and club are content to remain together until at least January.

• Like 2

£45 million including bonus doesn't sound like very much of an increase in Liverpool's offer. Would depend on the conditions for the extra payments.  If it's "world cup winner" that's a lot different to "plays 30+ games in a season".

Wonder what chelsea might offer.

5 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

£45 million including bonus doesn't sound like very much of an increase in Liverpool's offer. Would depend on the conditions for the extra payments.  If it's "world cup winner" that's a lot different to "plays 30+ games in a season".

Wonder what chelsea might offer.

They've only got to offer the £50 million to force Liverpool up to our asking price.

I've no idea why Chelsea are pursuing Caicedo given that Brighton want £100m (and have already rejected £70m) when £50m would more than likely would get Lavia. Caicedo is a bit further ahead in terms of consistency and level of performance, but on the other hand played in a much better team and is a couple of years older - he's certainly not twice as good as Lavia.

Don't get why some of these clubs haven't gone straight in and bought him. £50m is a bargain! It's clear he's going to be a top player for the next 10 years. As others have said hope we can get a sell-on clause included.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dman said:

I'm a touch torn with Tella. 

Imo he's not a PL standard player and 15-20m for him would be incredible value. Being completely fair, if we'd had an offer of 9m for him last summer, we'd have snapped their hand off. 

However; he's proven that in the right system, he can be a big asset in the championship. If we had just signed him off the back of last season, we'd all be really excited. 

On balance, I think if we get a decent offer for him £15m+, we should probably look to move him on and replace him with someone who can / will be able to do it at the step above - which I don't think Tella will. 

Sod the Prem. The most important thing this season is just to get promoted. We absolutely should be keeping someone who was instrumental in getting the Champions promoted last season and won multiple awards last season. If we don't get promoted then it's irrelevant wondering how he'll do in the Prem the season after next. I'd rather the known quality of Tella than bringing in someone unknown. Like Steve de Ridder. 

Yes we will probably sell him when we get the right offer but I think it will be a dodgy move, particularly because we'll be selling a lot of other top talent too.

• Like 3

On Lavia, it's a tough balance now between trying to get as much money as possible from the deal and concluding it quickly (hopefully by the end of the week) so that we can use those funds to go after our own transfer targets nailed down before we get too deep in to August. 

Martin's comments last week that we have targets who are willing to wait suggests that we will be going in for them as soon as we let two or three go. Hopefully we've done much of the ground work on those incomings so that we don't spend weeks negotiating on a fee with their respective clubs and personal terms. 

I suspect we'll accept the latest bid on the table give or take some minor adjustments and move on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saintant said:

We don't want installments. We're a football club not a bloody Littlewoods Catalogue.

Wonder if Henderson and Fabinho are being sold on the ‘never never’ … 

Probably not.

13 hours ago, saintant said:

Found our goalie! Yahia Fofana plays for Angers in French league. He's 22 and looks fantastic and wouldn't cost much. Just checked out his skills videos and he is superb in the air, very commanding,  a great sweeper keeper, good shot stopper and his distribution looks excellent. Get him signed.

Angers are in Ligue 2 

13 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Sounds like Baz in league one for Pompey.

Will we ever learn ? 

2 hours ago, macca155 said:

Tella isn't proven in the Premier league (yet) and we all know what can happen to players who score a hatful in the Championship. There is no doubt he is a talent and there is a strong argument for keeping him for this season. However, with such a big squad players have to be moved on, particularly where we have multiple players fighting for the same position. If Burnley push their bid up to £12/13 million I can see the club accepting it with a bunch of maybe bonuses. No different to buying a house really, you never get what you want but you make the sale because it gets things moving.

I am struggling to understand why Tella is considered to be a £9m player by Burnley, while Gibbs-White became a player worth £25m with £17m of add ons when he joined Forest. Gibbs also had done very little at Wolves in the Prem and there was no guarantee he would replicate his Sheff United form when stepping back up (and was that form any better than Tella's anyway?). They seem like very similar quality players to me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint_lambden said:

Martin's comments last week that we have targets who are willing to wait suggests that we will be going in for them as soon as we let two or three go.

I agree. We've obviously done the `player wages' part of these deals and just need the players we expect to leave to leave before getting the transfer fee part done.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Nothing new 

I wonder if Liverpool include some more add ons that are perhaps a little harder to attain to supplement those that are easier to attain, but combined take the deal up to £50m, whether we will go for that. Or do we want £45m plus £5m of very acheivable adds on.

Would be nice is Chelsea just rolled in at the eleventh hour and said "£60m cash, take it or leave it" and blow LFC completely out the water. Lovely.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

I am struggling to understand why Tella is considered to be a £9m player by Burnley, while Gibbs-White became a player worth £25m with £17m of add ons when he joined Forest. Gibbs also had done very little at Wolves in the Prem and there was no guarantee he would replicate his Sheff United form when stepping back up (and was that form any better than Tella's anyway?). They seem like very similar quality players to me.

Gibbs White is on another level imo, but he ain't worth what Forest paid for him, and Tella is plainly worth much more than £9m. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Wonder if a move for Alex Scott could be a go, especially as it seems top division clubs aren't going to move for him it seems just yet. Would be pricey but looks a silky player who can carry the ball between lines. 

Would be a smart move, but I can't see us spending £20m on him, especially if Alcaraz stays. We have blown our dough on that AM area. Also, I can't see him wanting to make a sideways move. He will be intent on a Prem move for sure.

Another AM option might have been loaning Brooks out for a season from Bournemouth, but again I suspect he wouldn't want to step down a league and he may well go straight into the Bournemouth starting side anyway.

Having that talented player to unlock defences what critical to Sheff United's promotion last season. Hopefully we will have our own Ndiaye in Alcaraz.

1 minute ago, egg said:

Gibbs White is on another level imo, but he ain't worth what Forest paid for him, and Tella is plainly worth much more than £9m. 

is he on another level though? I watched him a fair bit last season for Forest and I didn't see what the hype was about. Early on in the season he did fuck all. That said, I've not exactly been blown away by Tella.

Nixon saying Wolves and Bournemouth both looking at Che for about £10m. That adds to previous reports of Everton, Forest, Fulham, Palace and Burnley being interested. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheff United didn't fancy him too. 

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Nixon saying Wolves and Bournemouth both looking at Che for about £10m. That adds to previous reports of Everton, Forest, Fulham, Palace and Burnley being interested. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheff United didn't fancy him too. 

Doubt B'mouth will still be interested after getting a close look at him on Tues. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

I've no idea why Chelsea are pursuing Caicedo given that Brighton want £100m (and have already rejected £70m) when £50m would more than likely would get Lavia. Caicedo is a bit further ahead in terms of consistency and level of performance, but on the other hand played in a much better team and is a couple of years older - he's certainly not twice as good as Lavia.

Don't get why some of these clubs haven't gone straight in and bought him. £50m is a bargain! It's clear he's going to be a top player for the next 10 years. As others have said hope we can get a sell-on clause included.

They’re different types of players tbh

Caicedo is more of an 8/6 where as Lavia is probably more of an actual 6

So I suppose it depends what you want really, Lavia is more like Casemiro/Fabinho where as Caicedo is more like Gundogan

18 minutes ago, Chez said:

The missus fancies him too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

Gibbs White had already made quite an impact at junior level. Rated by the right people I guess. No question Forest took a punt but it worked.

Burnley probably know Tella better than us and I agree with you, a bid of £9m seems very low. Considering the money coming in now, it seems madness not to up that to £18m, get their player and move on. Maybe they aren't convinced.

Tella's clearly available so other teams may be tempted to jump in.

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder if Liverpool include some more add ons that are perhaps a little harder to attain to supplement those that are easier to attain, but combined take the deal up to £50m, whether we will go for that. Or do we want £45m plus £5m of very acheivable adds on.

Would be nice is Chelsea just rolled in at the eleventh hour and said "£60m cash, take it or leave it" and blow LFC completely out the water. Lovely.

How about 45m plus loan him back to us for one season. Would be happy with that 😎

52 minutes ago, Chez said:

That missed header/handball on the line at their place early in the season got them wanting more. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Im hoping when we see movement on these we can potentially bring in a CB target of our own, imo I think it’ll be Ronnie Edwards and I would hazard a guess we have it lined up already

Lyanco will be an interesting one, not sure where we go from here but I reckon we’ll see him go out on loan

• Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Im hoping when we see movement on these we can potentially bring in a CB target of our own, imo I think it’ll be Ronnie Edwards and I would hazard a guess we have it lined up already

Lyanco will be an interesting one, not sure where we go from here but I reckon we’ll see him go out on loan

Not seen any firm links to Edwards... are there any? Seen a few to Colgate at Everton....