Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

36 minutes ago, Rebel said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/weekly-wages-southampton-fcs-top-10-highest-earners-ranked/

This makes depressing reading - so much paid for so little endeavour.

If these are accurate we really need to shift a few more players. I’m hoping they don’t take any relegation clauses or salary cuts in to account. But even then we need to shift Djneppo and Aribo. 

I can see us following a similar rumoured approach to McCarthy with some of these - giving them away on frees to get rid of their wages - step forward Lyanco, Aribo and Djneppo.

What utter Bull. 

It was reported earlier in the Close season that players had taken a 40% pay cut.

There is absolutely zero chance that Aribo was earning £117,000 a week last season 

if he was on £70k a year last year,(and I do think 'capology' can add an 'r' as a second letter of their name)  it would be between £40k and £45k now.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I seem to remember we got a few million from a sell on when we were in the lower leagues and it was really vital funding at the time. Can't remember who the player was though. Cb is right though that the players who go to the biggest clubs might as well not have a sell on because they aren't being sold until they're old and they will end up going to a smaller club for much less money. 

If Lavia stays at Chelsea for 5 years, he'll be sold at his peak, with another sale beyond that as well. Who knows how mental transfer fees will be by that point. Chelsea will make money out of him unless his career nosedives for some reason. 

Tactically Matt on X is reporting Smallbone's injury is more serious than initially expected and he is likely to be out for months rather than weeks. With Lavia and JWP gone, I think we should be looking to bring in Grimes as well as Downes now. I know we have Charles who can play in that position but if we only have Downes and Charles, I don't think we will have enough quality cover.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

In this era of £100m + transfer fees, and the Saudi money, I doubt that these lads see Chelsea or Newcastle as their final destination. Indeed, for youngsters like Tino and Lavia, there will be undoubtedly be moves for them. If we sell Lavia to Chelsea for £60m, who's to say that he won't be sold on for £100m in a few years - I think that's a very real possibility - he has at least as much potential as Caceido.

It would be sensible business for saints to want a sell on from any profit. Sure, it won't help us now, but I suspect that when/if Lavia gets sold for £120m, that many of us will be bemoaning the club if they didn't agree a sell on clause. 

The above said, if the choice for us was an extra £5m now or a sell on, it'd be the cash now. A bird in the hand etc. 

I'd have thought Chelsea are spending £100m on players because what they want to do it win the league and champions league themselves multiple times, rather than as some kind of incubator club to sell on for a profit later on. They're buying him now so they have a player worth £200m in 3 years time, not to sell him but to stop them needing to buy one.

Saudi League is a different thing and not quite relevant and even now would interpret that unless peak players really want to play their peak years in Saudi league I don't see it as a reason to overly worry about sell-ons.

Edited by CB Fry

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'm not asking for a team of Galacticos, just something like this would do me...

saints.png

I'm not saying "we have made a load of money so we WILL win the league". 

I'm saying we have a budget that is far superior to every other team except possibly Leicesters, and so we should be aiming to challenge for the title. I don't want us to be midtable after 10 games talking about making progress game by game and pushing our way up the table. I want to see some ambition for once. 

That team was three years in the making though, it wasn’t just thrown together in one summer. The best players - Lambert, Lallana, Fonte, Morgan, Hammond, Fraser, Butters, Kelvin - had all been there since the first L1 season and been promoted with the same manager and a winning mentality. Guly, Harding and Puncheon were all in and around the squad too. We literally took the best team in L1 and added Cork, Jos, Fox and De Ridder, with Lee and Sharp in January.

This is entirely different kettle of fish, we have a massive squad of perennial losers, most of which we need to offload from the wage bill.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That team was three years in the making though, it wasn’t just thrown together in one summer. The best players - Lambert, Lallana, Fonte, Morgan, Hammond, Fraser, Butters, Kelvin - had all been there since the first L1 season and been promoted with the same manager and a winning mentality. Guly, Harding and Puncheon were all in and around the squad too. We literally took the best team in L1 and added Cork, Jos, Fox and De Ridder, with Lee and Sharp in January.

This is entirely different kettle of fish, we have a massive squad of perennial losers, most of which we need to offload from the wage bill.

That’s the plan as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Still so much to do in 3 weeks, especially considering Smallbone injury.

Minimum without additional exits beyond JWP & Lavia: 2 x CM

Maximum assuming exits of Adams, KWP, ABK, Lyanco, Tella and/or Sulemana: 2 x CM, 2 x CB, 1 x RB, 1 x Striker, 1 x Wide player

Would be up to 7 signings if those players leave as all would need replacing.

Edited by Dusic

Just now, goodymatt said:

Downes being ‘ill’ is worrying, second thoughts or genuine?

West Ham "You can have Downes if you lower your expectations on Ward Prowse"

Saints "ok that sounds good"

West Ham "Hahaha not getting him now suckers, teach you for asking too much for JWP"

Saints "😮 but errm"

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Maximum assuming exits of Adams, KWP, ABK, Lyanco, Tella and/or Sulemana: 2 x CM, 2 x CB, 1 x RB, 1 x Striker, 1 x Wide player

The club has stated every week that the squad is bloated.

They won’t be selling/moving players on and replacing everyone.

I can see 1 CM, 1 CD defiantly coming in.

Anymore ins will depend on weather RM feels the players leaving would’ve been part of his plans.

Edited by Dirkdiggler

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Well, they won’t all need replacing as the squad is too big.

11 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

The club has stated every week that the squad is bloated.

They won’t be selling/moving players on and replacing everyone.

I can see 1 CM, 1 CD defiantly coming in.

Anymore ins will depend on weather RM feels the players leaving would’ve been part of his plans.

I thought we had a change of regime now who vetted the attitude of players before they came in. If what you say is true then I'd be very worried about these two new reluctant arrivals and what they might do to the harmony in the camp. 

19 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Absolutely mind-blowing numbers being thrown around. 

aYXnAKx.jpg

It’s obscene, elite football has become obscene. Something needs to be done to reign it in, but I suspect there are fare too many influential people  with their fingers in the pie for that to happen any time soon.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It would if he could pick it up within two seconds. 

It can be a bit breezy from time to time in Riyadh, I imagine it would flutter a few steps away before he could stick his hoof on it.

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

It’s obscene, elite football has become obscene. Something needs to be done to reign it in, but I suspect there are fare too many influential with their fingers in the pie for that to happen any time soon.

Why, if some sheikh wants to chuck his money at a footballer instead of another gold plated 20 bedroom palace, I don’t particularly see the problem. It’s not harming anyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It can be a bit breezy from time to time in Riyadh, I imagine it would flutter a few steps away before he could stick his hoof on it.

Why, if some sheikh wants to chuck his money at a footballer instead of another gold plated 20 bedroom palace, I don’t particularly see the problem. It’s not harming anyone.

I really don’t care about the Saudi’s per se, I have an issue with The hyper inflation prevalent  in top level football. This is applies to the epl, it’s just a lower level of obscenity nevertheless just as obscene.

Edited by Toussaint
Auto correct gobbledygook
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

You forget one of the best ones.  Replacement for McCarthy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Wouldn't that be breaking even on a guy that's only been here 6 months? 

If it means that Tella stays, then I say go for it.

Depends on how that offer is structured. It may be £5m up front and the rest when they win the champions league and Sully wins the Ballon D'or

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The guy has the potential to be a star for us in this league, could put up a huge total of assists and goals if he put his mind on the job in hand, but i’m assuming he’s downed tools.

Shame, but we don’t want folk around that don’t want to be here and he’s obviously one of those now clearly.

5 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

The guy has the potential to be a star for us in this league, could put up a huge total of assists and goals if he put his mind on the job in hand, but i’m assuming he’s downed tools.

Shame, but we don’t want folk around that don’t want to be here and he’s obviously one of those now clearly.

That’s the crux of it, the last thing we need are malcontents stinking the place out in this crucial season.

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/weekly-wages-southampton-fcs-top-10-highest-earners-ranked/

This makes depressing reading - so much paid for so little endeavour.

If these are accurate we really need to shift a few more players. I’m hoping they don’t take any relegation clauses or salary cuts in to account. But even then we need to shift Djneppo and Aribo. 

I can see us following a similar rumoured approach to McCarthy with some of these - giving them away on frees to get rid of their wages - step forward Lyanco, Aribo and Djneppo.

I'd say thats largely bollocks, especially given they all had 40% reductions.

There is absolutely no chance that Aribo was on £120k a week last season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

I watched that game last night too. Wolves were really good. Very quick and outmuscled Man U everywhere too. Played them off the park. And that penalty was absolutely abysmal - if ever there was evidence of corruption in football, or at the very least favouritism to Man U that has gone on for ever at Old Trafford, that was it. Utterly appalling neglect from the muppets who look at screens and call themselves VAR. Wolves should be awarded a point, and Man U deducted 2 (no, I know, not serious, and would never happen, but I'd be spitting blood if I that had happened to us). Adds more fuel to the debate that, actually, the Championship may be better than the money playground that the Premier has become. Long live decisions made at the time! And the correct ones. Or at least don't employ corrupt officials.

Are these posts relevant to the transfer window or should they be in the thread for Other Games? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Sorry if mentioned, apparently accepted €25m from Monaco for Sulemana

Like I said a few days earlier.

Every player has a price and if a bid reaches that price then the player is free to go if they choose to do so.

The club are not holding anybody back even if they are bloody good.

• Like 2