Russell Martin

LegalEagle

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I just read on another forum that if we lose to Leeds on saturday we will have a lower points total after 9 games than we have in the 2008/09 season.

Checked it and it's true, we had 11 after 9 games. We have 10 after 8 now. The season we got relegated in 23rd place. We were we were skint, had to rely on playing a team of kids, not because it was some grand plan to be the Man City of the south but it was because it was all we could afford. The year we signed Tommy Forecast, Anthony Pulis and our star signing was the "world class" Ryan Smith. We had Portleviet in charge or the Dutch clown as he became known.  lose on saturday this team will have made a worse start. 🤣

Please be patient Turkish and trust the process

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I just read on another forum that if we lose to Leeds on saturday we will have a lower points total after 9 games than we have in the 2008/09 season.

Checked it and it's true, we had 11 after 9 games. We have 10 after 8 now. The season we got relegated in 23rd place. We were we were skint, had to rely on playing a team of kids, not because it was some grand plan to be the Man City of the south but it was because it was all we could afford. The year we signed Tommy Forecast, Anthony Pulis and our star signing was the "world class" Ryan Smith. We had Portleviet in charge or the Dutch clown as he became known.  lose on saturday this team will have made a worse start. 🤣

Wow, we really are pathetic aren't we?

But this will continue to worsen if the Martin persists with his ludicrous tactics and i fear he will until the "upstairs" clowns recognise this and make a change but I suspect they will let it linger on like they did with the last 2 hopeless incumbents.

What a mess...... AGAIN

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

That is literally fucking shocking. 

There is absolutely no defence of the club or owners when you see this stat. It’s utterly horrific 

• Like 9

"You're just a shit Jan Poortvliet"

Christ almighty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

That is really scary to be honest. There's no way we should be performing worse than that shower of a team, not with the finance behind it.

I think we can probably confine this season to a 'rebuilding' season if we lose on the weekend, then just hope next year we are able to compete with Luton.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

That is really scary to be honest. There's no way we should be performing worse than that shower of a team, not with the finance behind it.

I think we can probably confine this season to a 'rebuilding' season if we lose on the weekend, then just hope next year we are able to compete with Luton.

We'll be rebuilding next season too. Adams out of contract, Frazer, Downes, Hardwood-Bellis, (and Holgate) to return to their parent clubs, we'll probably sell two or  three others like Sully, KWP, so we will be 6-7 of our matchday squad down from this season, plus the scar tissue of not getting promoted this season.

• Like 5

Just now, Turkish said:

We'll be rebuilding next season too. Adams out of contract, Frazer, Downes, Hardwood-Bellis, (and Holgate) to return to their parent clubs, we'll probably sell two or  three others like Sully, KWP, so we will be 6-7 of our matchday squad down from this season, plus the scar tissue of not getting promoted this season.

The change next season will be just as much as this year, but with less money to play with and with less ability to attract high calibre players. That's why I've always believed that promotion this year is huge and not getting out this year could confine us to lower league football for quite some time.

You have to wonder if failure this season will make SR just drop and run, nothing they touch seems to work - at any of their clubs. So we could even be talking about an ownership change.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The change next season will be just as much as this year, but with less money to play with and with less ability to attract high calibre players. That's why I've always believed that promotion this year is huge and not getting out this year could confine us to lower league football for quite some time.

You have to wonder if failure this season will make SR just drop and run, nothing they touch seems to work - at any of their clubs. So we could even be talking about an ownership change.

SR have a flawed business model because Dragan listens to that fucking onion Rasmus.

Until he changes direction we won’t improve on the grass.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

SR have a flawed business model because Dragan listens to that fucking onion Rasmus.

Until he changes direction we won’t improve on the grass.

You underestimate Rasmus. He must have something about him to convince a billionaire there is some substance behind the shit he spouts. Maybe he's like that film Limitless, where every so often he takes a magic pill he is a genius, when it wears off the rest of the time he is an absolute waster. Come to think of it there is a resemblence

Limitless – MMJ

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You underestimate Rasmus. He must have something about him to convince a billionaire there is some substance behind the shit he spouts. Maybe he's like that film Limitless, where every so often he takes a magic pill he is a genius, when it wears off the rest of the time he is an absolute waster. Come to think of it there is a resemblence

Limitless – MMJ

Closer resemblance

Imagining the Unhappy Life of Stan Laurel - The New York Times

• Haha 11

Limitless – MMJ

Should be called Limitless Load of Bollocks.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Unfortunately you've not considered our 10 out of 10 January window where every signing won't just cook, they'll be a MasterChef!

Losing those guys at the end of the season will then be a blessed relief.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

it's posts like this that are largely the reason why we are in this mess. Talk about 'entitled'

👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

If we don't somehow get promoted this season (or make a very good stab at it) its basically over. That is the reality. SR have fucked the club. Eventually we'll slip into financial trouble, get relegated, and they'll sell up. Only then can we properly rebuild - in a world without SR.

What scares me is how much damage they'll do between then and now.

Edit - the way its going, i can see the players on short contracts being scooped up in January if promotion is gone - wouldn't surprise me at all if we're sat in the lower half of the championship and accept nominal offers for che and kwp.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If we don't somehow get promoted this season (or make a very good stab at it) its basically over. That is the reality. SR have fucked the club. Eventually we'll slip into financial trouble, get relegated, and they'll sell up. Only then can we properly rebuild - in a world without SR.

What scares me is how much damage they'll do between then and now.

Edit - the way its going, i can see the players on short contracts being scooped up in January if promotion is gone - wouldn't surprise me at all if we're sat in the lower half of the championship and accept nominal offers for che and kwp.

I assume next year we will lose:

THB 

Downes 

KWP 

Adams 

S.Armstrong 

Holgate 

Fraser 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Aribo

So that could potentially leave us with a team of: 

Bazunu 

Bree Stephens Bednarek Manning/Larios

Charles 

Edozie Dibling Ameyew 

Stewart Ballard

Obviously we will make some further signings but if we do have something like that, we absolutely need to play in a more pragmatic fashion with more limited players. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, captainchris said:

After coming back from 2-0 down to beat Wolves 3-2 last night, Ipswich Town have now lost just ONE game in their last TWENTY SEVEN competitive matches.

Incredible team! 🤩🤩🤩

Now THAT is class management!

Lets study how they play rather than the RM way…..

I get what you're saying, but it's not much different from "Man City have won a shit load, let's copy what they're doing and get a load of their cast offs and non playing staff".

We tried that and failed :mcinnes:

45 minutes ago, gecko said:

I don't know what you're all moaning about; we're top of the table, baby!

https://footystats.org/england/championship/xg

Basically our strikers can't finish, and keeper couldn't catch a cold. We've just been really unlucky with the results.

(and this post is coming from someone who doesn't think that xG is absolute hogwash)

When it clicks we're gonna piss this league 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Basically our strikers can't finish, and keeper couldn't catch a cold. We've just been really unlucky with the results.

(and this post is coming from someone who doesn't think that xG is absolute hogwash)

That’s interesting considering it’s after 8 games and we still have a higher xG than most (if not all) teams. Gotta hope Stewart comes in quickly and starts burying those chances. Not great reading for Baz though.

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Yeah the Sunderland and Leicester games were on a knife edge, they could have gone either way.

• Haha 3

Does XG consider how the goals happen? For example, for XG against if it’s one where we have given the ball away and provide the opposition an easy chance, which the keeper has no chance with, would it go down as a goal we shouldn’t have conceded even though the keeper can’t do much about it? Or is it just the ‘final’ chance/ shot that counts in terms of XGA/XG.

I’m not  sure if I’m being clear here but I know what I’m trying to ask 😂

4 hours ago, gecko said:

image.thumb.png.6fad96e7bf9839eec47a5fb2e4639a08.png

Unfortunatley, we're got a comparable expected goals against ("allowed") to the mighty Plymouth and Rotherham (excludes penalties).

Shockingly we're also the worst side for errors leading to an opponent's shot...

image.thumb.png.2ed64d0c821282ebfdbe766751dc394f.png

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I assume next year we will lose:...

xxx

So that could potentially leave us with a team of: 

Edozie

At the rate he's improving if he doesn't get to start regularly, as long as he's fit and ready for 60+ minutes, he'll get frustrated and leave.

RM's team picks are getting to be quite bewildering.

5 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

At the rate he's improving if he doesn't get to start regularly, as long as he's fit and ready for 60+ minutes, he'll get frustrated and leave.

RM's team picks are getting to be quite bewildering.

Imagine Alcaraz is constantly on the phone to his agent at the moment too.

Was just talking to an MK Dons fan just now. He hates Russell Martin, might be bitter due to him leaving them but said he is addicted to an ideology. MK Dons conceded loads of goals due to players tapping it around on the edge of their own penalty area. Says the only reason fans didn't turn on him was because for a lot time he was there it was during covid and no fans in the stadium, said the team they had should have got promoted and Martin was full of shit when he left saying he was going no where here for the project for weeks despite the links to Swansea, then cleared off. 

• Like 2

To play a possession based game, you need to have players with high technical ability, speed to move in to space and high levels of fitness to keep playing that way. There’s nothing revolutionary going pn tactically but if you don’t have the players, you can’t play the system. That’s what RM needs to consider. Get some of the principals of play established alongside winning football, then improve the squad and tactics as you progress from a base of success. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

To play a possession based game, you need to have players with high technical ability, speed to move in to space and high levels of fitness to keep playing that way. There’s nothing revolutionary going pn tactically but if you don’t have the players, you can’t play the system. That’s what RM needs to consider. Get some of the principals of play established alongside winning football, then improve the squad and tactics as you progress from a base of success. 

It's so frustrating seeing a team that could successfully play direct football, over the top or through for A. Armstrong, Sully, Edozie, Amo-Ameyeaw, hell even the likes of Mara and S. Armstrong have got decent pace. With Che also there to hold it up when it goes long or he comes deep. 

We don't even need the midfield to be anything superb, the lack of attacking quality in Smallbone, Charles and Downes wouldn't matter if they were literally just there to be a barrier in front of the defence and hit early balls to the forwards. 

• Like 9

Let’s be brutally honest and recognise that the only way we will be able to compete at the top level again is if we are purchased by an oil rich nation (probably with an appalling human rights record) or a multi billionaire US hedge fund or similar. The days when clubs of our size held our own against the big boys are over. We did well to last as long as we did. We might as well get use to being an unremarkable middling Championship side and turn our backs on the PL for ever. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's imagine he goes after a while and gets another job in the championship. A few weeks later if we are due to play his team would you be happy to have that fixture coming up? I know I would because it woikd be incredibly obvious how they would play and how we could get a result against them. Thays the biggest problem for me. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Let's imagine he goes after a while and gets another job in the championship. A few weeks later if we are due to play his team would you be happy to have that fixture coming up? I know I would because it woikd be incredibly obvious how they would play and how we could get a result against them. Thays the biggest problem for me. 

Sods Law we’d lose 1-0.

Don’t forget Saints would still be in shock, and traumatised by the RM experience. Scar tissue Mk II.

• Haha 2

Forest fan told me in the summer when we were linked with RM that in their promotion season they beat Swansea 4 and 5-1 from recollection.

On both occasions Swansea had about 70% possession, and continued to pass it between themselves across the back four without going anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Forest fan told me in the summer when we were linked with RM that in their promotion season they beat Swansea 4 and 5-1 from recollection.

On both occasions Swansea had about 70% possession, and continued to pass it between themselves across the back four without going anywhere. 

Lol. Sums it up.

• Like 1

Nothing against the bloke, but he is a Foundation, at best youth academy coach. 

He seems to take his level 1,2,3 badges to the extreme. 

He has his Ufea and pro licenses I’m sure but that is no guarantee of success. 

He will I’m sure given time be a good manager at step 1 through 3 or 4.

Probably never see him again after his huge pay off aka NJ.

I stand by my belief that it needs more than some flawed badges and a one track idea that the FA seems to coach.

This is on SFC recruitment not the individual that is employed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

He could probably do with some time 'out of the game', watching training sessions, learning a different way to play. 

He basically went straight from playing to MK, then to Swansea, then to us. He's never had a chance to learn and adapt really. Much Like how Eddie howe took some time out and has come back a better manager. 

I think there could be a manager in Martin at some point in the future - He seems to have the ear of the players (which is one of the biggest challenges) and when it works, it works really well. He's just tactically too one dimensional and naive at the minute. 

Maybe he could do with someone with a touch more experience in the dugout with him, but I think he's too arrogant to listen to anyone who he doesn't trust. 

Any appointment is a risk, especially when goign for someone young as a project - Enzo would have been a risk but there was a degree of unknown, Martin has never proven himself despite many chances. 

I said at the start of the season, Leeds and Leicester had appointed better managers than us, it was obviously laughed off, but it was clearly true. Farke was a really sensible appointment by Leeds - nice style, proven at this level. Should have been on our list ahead of Martin. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Let’s be brutally honest and recognise that the only way we will be able to compete at the top level again is if we are purchased by an oil rich nation (probably with an appalling human rights record) or a multi billionaire US hedge fund or similar. The days when clubs of our size held our own against the big boys are over. We did well to last as long as we did. We might as well get use to being an unremarkable middling Championship side and turn our backs on the PL for ever. 

I think that’s a bit dramatic tbh. Outside of the 7-8 PL ‘big boys’ there’s a lot of other middling-sized clubs (like us) that will need to make up the rest of the PL. In terms of size we’re certainly well within the top 20 biggest clubs in this country.

The way it’s going maybe we could go pop again unless SR have a drastic rethink on this process/experiment, it’s  certainly turning a lot of fans off. Season after season of shit home games, few wins and mind-numbing slow football will grind down the best of them. But we’ve been here before.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

Nothing against the bloke, but he is a Foundation, at best youth academy coach. 

He seems to take his level 1,2,3 badges to the extreme. 

He has his Ufea and pro licenses I’m sure but that is no guarantee of success. 

He will I’m sure given time be a good manager at step 1 through 3 or 4.

Probably never see him again after his huge pay off aka NJ.

I stand by my belief that it needs more than some flawed badges and a one track idea that the FA seems to coach.

This is on SFC recruitment not the individual that is employed.

Once he got the contract that was it.  Set up for life whether he works for 3 years or gets paid for doing fuck all because he’s a failure.

Not exactly motivating is it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Once he got the contract that was it.  Set up for life whether he works for 3 years or gets paid for doing fuck all because he’s a failure.

Not exactly motivating is it.  

That's a bit unfair. I don't think you can question his commitment, he seems like an incredibly hard worker. The philosophy is the flawed bit.

5 hours ago, Long Shot said:

The way things are I would love the team to be an unremarkable middling Championship side, it would show an improvement.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Leicester premier league winners say hello.

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

dunno if this was linked anywhere but here's peterborough owners view which gives me happiness that maybe we are only short term shit 😉

The same bloke who's appointed Darren Furguson about 5,000 times, I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Russell Martin in today's press conference: "there hasn't been much in the games" 

Does he mean Sunderland? Leicester? Middlesborough where they could have scored 4? A few weeks ago he was talking complete sense in these interviews, now he sounds ridiculous. 

if you take out the goals conceded, mistakes, lack of composure, missed chances and poor tactics he's spot on.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Clubs like Brighton & Brentford have shown that good planning & good management will bring success.

Chelsea have proven that money wont buy success without good planning & management.

• Like 1

We'll lose tomorrow, then again on Tuesday against Stoke.

He'll be fired and we'll have that fired manager bounce and beat Rotherham.

Then it's the international break to get the new manager sorted. It seems clear, just a shame it's going to take two more losses to get there.