Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

At first, I really didn't think there was an awful lot he could have done for some of the goals. But I didn't appreciate that his positioning was off to the extent it was, until it was pointed out. With diagrams, as I recall. 🙂 Once I'd seen that a few times, you could see the same things happening over and over.

SR used the same approach to that position as they tried to with others. I guess if you get a Lavia or a Tino type of return then great. Both of those would get injured and/or need rested, so McCarthy and Willy could step in. But we didn't get a goalkeeper at that level. Considering how rare it is to get a player there, at that level, at his age, that's not a massive surprise. I know McCarthy was injured, but when fit, as the season went on, was easily able to be better. Willy would have been too. But possibly due to trying to get McCarthy out the door to reduce the wage bill, or sheer bloody mindedness, they kept him in there far too long.

Where SR also got caught out with their approach, was the number of ready made, experienced and capable goalkeepers that became availalbe during that window (as hypochondriac mentioned). But with Bazunu on his way in, and likely guaranteed a good run in the first team, SR had made their call. Like so many of them, it turned out to be the wrong one.

I think they are going to stick with him again. He made a cracking save, but also that error in pre-season so far. If he is first choice, I hope that Martin has more sense than to stick with him, if it's more of the same. The window is gently closed, so as not to wake the neighbours, after a few games, so that should give SR plenty of time to either go with McCarthy, or get someone much like the options availalbe last summer in.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
Typos
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I've only just seen that goal from yesterday...

Strewth.

His positioning has been consistently bad, but that was taking things to an entirely new level. 

Another incident earlier in the highlights where the ball is going down the left and he is in front of his near post (as in, not between the posts) and the ball is squared to be tapped into an empty net. Not sure how they didn't score but he wouldn't have been able to save it even if they'd put the ball in the middle of the goal.

A good example of his shit positioning is the header conceded away to West Ham. On first glance you think there was nothing he could have done despite the header being so far out but on further analysis he got himself in the wrong position again so leaves himself too much to do. If he was bigger then he’s more chance of recovering and its also perhaps inexperience but he needs shifting and someone else bringing in

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Strewth.

His positioning has been consistently bad, but that was taking things to an entirely new level. 

Yeah.. still see many here claiming he’s  gonna be great this season or will definitely come good. Based on what exactly ? Hologram man has hardly put in any good performances all season looks even worse then Gunn so far ..why can’t we just buy a normal experienced keeper they are not expensive  anyway ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah.. still see many here claiming he’s  gonna be great this season or will definitely come good. Based on what exactly ? Hologram man has hardly put in any good performances all season looks even worse then Gunn so far ..why can’t we just buy a normal experienced keeper they are not expensive  anyway ?

He made a really good save last week and that should be cause for celebration, apparently.

12 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

At first, I really didn't think there was an awful lot he could have done for some of the goals. But I didn't appreciate that his positioning was off to the extent it was, until it was pointed out. With diagrams, as I recall. 🙂 Once I'd seen that a few times, you could see the same things happening over and over.

SR used the same approach to that position as they tried to with others. I guess if you get a Lavia or a Tino type of return then great. Both of those would get injured and/or need rested, so McCarthy and Willy could step in. But we didn't get a goalkeeper at that level. Considering how rare it is to get a player there, at that level, at his age, that's not a massive surprise. I know McCarthy was injured, but when fit, as the season went on, was easily able to be better. Willy would have been too. But possibly due to trying to get McCarthy out the door to reduce the wage bill, or sheer bloody mindedness, they kept him in there far too long.

Where SR also got caught out with their approach, was the number of ready made, experienced and capable goalkeepers that became availalbe during that window (as hypochondriac mentioned). But with Bazunu on his way in, and likely guaranteed a good run in the first team, SR had made their call. Like so many of them, it turned out to be the wrong one.

I think they are going to stick with him again. He made a cracking save, but also that error in pre-season so far. If he is first choice, I hope that Martin has more sense than to stick with him, if it's more of the same. The window is gently closed, so as not to wake the neighbours, after a few games, so that should give SR plenty of time to either go with McCarthy, or get someone much like the options availalbe last summer in.

Personally thought McCarthy was no better than Bazunu when he came in, and if we're playing the ball out from the back with McCarthy in goal, we're going to concede a lot of comedy goals this season...!

Edited by disconnect
typo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

With the availability of keepers I just don't see why we'd go through the bother and hard graft of developing a keeper who might be able to be decent eventually. We'd have been better off spending a few more million and buying one much closer to the finished article. It's not like keepers cost the earth and there were plenty of options (there probably still are.)

It's mad to do it in such a critical position. Even a competent keeper last season would have got us a few more points and at least kept us in the running rather than cut adrift at the bottom. In my view you cant dick about with the positions of goalkeepers and centre backs. These are the foundations of the team you could maybe get away with one YHGTI centre backs with a decent, experienced one alongside them but not two and then a keeper who had never played above league one level before.  You dont even need to spend more, Leno cost just over half what we paid for Bazunu, SAm Johnstone was on a free, Hendersen on loan, all would have been than Bazunu last season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

It's mad to do it in such a critical position. Even a competent keeper last season would have got us a few more points and at least kept us in the running rather than cut adrift at the bottom. In my view you cant dick about with the positions of goalkeepers and centre backs. These are the foundations of the team you could maybe get away with one YHGTI centre backs with a decent, experienced one alongside them but not two and then a keeper who had never played above league one level before.  You dont even need to spend more, Leno cost just over half what we paid for Bazunu, SAm Johnstone was on a free, Hendersen on loan, all would have been than Bazunu last season.

And Navas went to forest in January when we should have really looked at upgrading him once we realised how he was struggling.

18 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Strewth.

I've been a stand-in keeper at low grassroots level and although I've been beaten at my near post that positioning and goal was embarassing.

• Like 1

We probably have the worst pair of keepers in the Championship as it stands, that much I’m sure of.

That, along with our awful forward options as it currently stands, is why we will be nowhere near promotion. Here’s hoping something changes massively on that front.

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

We probably have the worst pair of keepers in the Championship as it stands, that much I’m sure of.

That, along with our awful forward options as it currently stands, is why we will be nowhere near promotion. Here’s hoping something changes massively on that front.

Ridiculous hyperbole, you honestly think we’d have done better last season with Ryan Alsop and Lee Nichols to choose from? Remember, Kelvin Davis was an excellent Championship keeper but hopeless in the PL, I don’t see any reason why Baz and McC would be a liability at this level.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Ridiculous hyperbole, you honestly think we’d have done better last season with Ryan Alsop and Lee Nichols to choose from? Remember, Kelvin Davis was an excellent Championship keeper but hopeless in the PL, I don’t see any reason why Baz and McC would be a liability at this level.

It doesn't matter what division you keep goal in if you're as badly out of position as Baz often is. Take his fault for the goal at the weekend. What makes you think that kind of keeping will be adequate this season? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, egg said:

It doesn't matter what division you keep goal in if you're as badly out of position as Baz often is. Take his fault for the goal at the weekend. What makes you think that kind of keeping will be adequate this season? 

No no, the strikers in the championship take longer to get set for a shot thereby enabling Bazza to correct his bad positioning before the shot comes in. And that.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Same issue in terms of physical strength, a serious area of weakness for Bazunu. Not the kid’s fault but this won’t improve significantly in the next couple of weeks. Still hoping they sign a solid experienced keeper to compete. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Because he’s up again much worse opposition. If you’d watched Kelvin in 2012/13 you’d have said he was hopeless, at fault for a lot of goals, terrible kicking, flapping at crosses and regularly beaten at his near post. What makes you think that kind of keeping would be adequate in the Championship?

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Because he’s up again much worse opposition. If you’d watched Kelvin in 2012/13 you’d have said he was hopeless, at fault for a lot of goals, terrible kicking, flapping at crosses and regularly beaten at his near post. What makes you think that kind of keeping would be adequate in the Championship?

Did you see the goal from the weekend? Is that a standard of keeping that you seriously think is good enough for us this season?

We're talking about Bazunu, not Kelvin. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You must be joking - did you see the goal conceded on Saturday ? I don’t see anything to suggest he’s up to being the number one in a promotion winning team

• Like 1

As someone who was advocating for Bazunu to be dropped before Ralph was sacked last season, I think the conversation around him has become a bit ridiculous this season. He will start, and I believe he should start.

Firstly, the goal on the weekend. His positioning was good, but he anticipated a cross from a position players almost never shoot from. Such a tight angle that I thought the lad had tried to cross it but shanked it. Looks poor, but a good lesson in preseason - don't overcompensate when anticipating.

People are forgetting that he was probably the best performing player on the pitch against Benfica just a few days earlier. Faultless with the ball at his feet, under a lot of pressure, and made a fantastic save on what would be expected to be a certain goal.

But, the real question: Why should he start if he is inexperienced and will on occasion concede a poor goal?

The answer is simple: His outstanding ability with the ball at his feet.

It will be integral for Martin's system to have a GK of Bazunu's quality with the ball. Even if Bazunu's shot stopping isn't good, we will limit the amount of chances the other team gets with his quality on the ball and will score more goals with him too. He will be asked to bring the ball out and join the backline in build-up creating an 11vs10 advantage. With other keepers, the opposition will regularly get goals from pressing. With other keepers, we wouldn't be able to have the man advantage to create goals.

I also think that he will have a good year shot-stopping. We have seen him do it, he has the ability. His issues last season appeared to be more mental than anything to me. Not surprising given the jump in league, being in a relegation scrap, the change of manager (twice) and the carrousel of starting defenders/midfielders in front of him. Instability created inconsistent performances.

I concede that the PL was too much for him, too early. But he is clearly a talented goalkeeper and has made some fantastic saves. He just needs experience to gain consistency. I firmly believe that he will be critical to the way we play and a huge part of our promotion push. Without him, we are going to massively struggle to play Martin's system.

Regardless of what people think, he will be starting this season and the fanbase needs to support the young lad. Wasn't his fault he was thrown in to the PL too early last season, but he was excellent at Portsmouth, has been excellent for Ireland and is certainly Championship quality.

Edited by Luke SkyWalker-Peters
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I meant the worst pair as in a first and second choice keeper, but for what it’s worth I’d take Nichols over both at this moment in time

23 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

As someone who was advocating for Bazunu to be dropped before Ralph was sacked last season, I think the conversation around him has become a bit ridiculous this season. He will start, and I believe he should start.

Firstly, the goal on the weekend. His positioning was good, but he anticipated a cross from a position players almost never shoot from. Such a tight angle that I thought the lad had tried to cross it but shanked it. Looks poor, but a good lesson in preseason - don't overcompensate when anticipating.

People are forgetting that he was probably the best performing player on the pitch against Benfica just a few days earlier. Faultless with the ball at his feet, under a lot of pressure, and made a fantastic save on what would be expected to be a certain goal.

But, the real question: Why should he start if he is inexperienced and will on occasion concede a poor goal?

It will be integral for Martin's system to have a GK of Bazunu's quality with the ball. Even if Bazunu's shot stopping isn't good, we will limit the amount of chances the other team gets with his quality on the ball and will score more goals with him too. He will be asked to bring the ball out and join the backline in build-up creating an 11vs10 advantage. With other keepers, the opposition will regularly get goals from pressing. With other keepers, we wouldn't be able to have the man advantage to create goals.

I also think that he will have a good year shot-stopping. We have seen him do it, he has the ability. His issues last season appeared to be more mental than anything to me. Not surprising given the jump in league, being in a relegation scrap, the change of manager (twice) and the carrousel of starting defenders/midfielders in front of him. Instability created inconsistent performances.

I concede that the PL was too much for him, too early. But he is clearly a talented goalkeeper and has made some fantastic saves. He just needs experience to gain consistency. I firmly believe that he will be critical to the way we play and a huge part of our promotion push. Without him, we are going to massively struggle to play Martin's system.

Regardless of what people think, he will be starting this season and the fanbase needs to support the young lad. Wasn't his fault he was thrown in to the PL too early last season, but he was excellent at Portsmouth, has been excellent for Ireland and is certainly Championship quality.

I'm sorry but this argument is a total myth. He is ordinary (at best) with his feet. I can recall numerous games last season when he shanked the ball into Row Z under the slightest pressure multiple times. He shat it.

Increase the pressure tenfold with this possession-based game - and this myth will be well and truly busted.

Edited by SambaMaverick
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

It matters not a jot how good Bazunu is with his feet if the defenders he's passing to are incapable of controlling it and moving it on quickly and accurately. Maybe our defenders will get better at this but so far they look like an accident waiting to happen every time they receive the ball under pressure.

15 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Perhaps he should be playing up front instead of in nets then.  

The obsession with keepers being able to “play” is getting fucking stupid now. How many goals are we going to score due to Baz playing a perfectly crafted ball 10 yards to the full back, or a wonderful cushioned touch to the centre half. Fucking none, that’s how many. Get someone in nets who can save shots, and if he can’t play out from the back, hoof the fucking thing. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

My day would not be the same without a visit to this thread to read the daily slagging off of Gavin Bazanu. I expect he enjoys reading it a s well. Keep it up lads

Saints fans giving their opinion about a saints player on a saints forum. Whatever next!?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, egg said:

Agreed. He simply doesn't do the basics well. Very, very poor keeper and we wont gain promotion with him in the sticks. 

He pulls off the odd (and I mean odd) fantastic save, but any time he 'has to think' he fails. 

He's the Che Adams of the goal keeping world. Actually, that would be unfair to Adams. 

What is severely concerning is that people at the club seem to rate him. I hope I'm wrong but the lack of any rumours or gossip about looking for a new #1 suggests we're sticking. A fucking terrible situation. You simply cannot be successful with a keeper that is as effective as a chocolate teapot. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He is fucking dogshit.

Wouldn’t even want him on the bench.  Farm him out on loan and get a proper keeper in.  He makes Gunn look like Peter Shilton!

Ordinarily one might suggest that this is an exaggeration but, sadly, I tend to agree with you. The two gaffes against Goztepe and today are a continuation of what we saw all last season. Some people think he’ll come good as he’s good with his feet and has on occasions made some good saves. But, as said further above, really good keepers are not just judged by their ability to pull off a worldly save, they’re judged more for their consistency and in eliminating errors. Bazunu just looks like a bag of nerves and as if he’s always got a major ricket in him. I can’t see us bringing in anyone else for him but I also think that’s a mistake, he’s just not good enough.

• Like 1

Based on the last few games I think Martin will have become aware of this issue also. Unless he's an idiot.

If he thinks it's a problem the he'll surely raise it with Wilcox, who is also new to the club. Why would he not be replaced in that case? More chance now than there has ever been. 

• Like 3

Another gaff - it’s obvious he’s not up to it yet still we continue. It’s not his fault he keeps getting picked but we aren’t going to be promoted with him in goal. I can only hope his shit preseason means we now have to address it. There’s no point spending millions on outfield players if your keeper is a liability 

• Like 9

I suggested a loan to League 2 for a couple of seasons, maybe Wrexham to compete with Foster/learn from him or Notts Co. Get a few wins under his belt, develop some physicality and command his box with the big forwards at that level. He’s nowhere near Championship ready let alone for a club which are claiming to expecting to be top 2. 

Even for a lazy club like Saints, easy to get a better keeper in his 30s for Champ level. Could be a loan from the PL as well. If there isn’t a new keeper in for the Bournemouth friendly there’s been a balls up in the recruitment area again. Russell Martin needs to go public on it, it’s what did Ralph in over the striker (lack of). Put a rocket under the recruitment dept to get it sorted. 

Too many excuses for his age - Tim Flowers was playing top flight younger than that in a much tougher era for keepers. If he makes today’s or the Goztepe mistake in a Championship game he’ll get hammered by the fans. Last season everyone was shit so he got away with it. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

I was against him more than anybody last year, but I thought it'd be okay giving him a year in the Championship.

If he's still making these errors every game however, we should cut ties now just like we did with Gunn.

Bring in an experienced keeper from somewhere, we can't afford the giant risk he comes with this season.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

I suggested a loan to League 2 for a couple of seasons, maybe Wrexham to compete with Foster/learn from him or Notts Co. Get a few wins under his belt, develop some physicality and command his box with the big forwards at that level. He’s nowhere near Championship ready let alone for a club which are claiming to expecting to be top 2. 

Even for a lazy club like Saints, easy to get a better keeper in his 30s for Champ level. Could be a loan from the PL as well. If there isn’t a new keeper in for the Bournemouth friendly there’s been a balls up in the recruitment area again. Russell Martin needs to go public on it, it’s what did Ralph in over the striker (lack of). Put a rocket under the recruitment dept to get it sorted. 

Too many excuses for his age - Tim Flowers was playing top flight younger than that in a much tougher era for keepers. If he makes today’s or the Goztepe mistake in a Championship game he’ll get hammered by the fans. Last season everyone was shit so he got away with it. 

Why would he be loaned to a League 2 club when he's already been League 1 keeper of the year?

• Like 1

Bazunu will not improve as time goes on.  We can all keep hoping but I really don’t think he’ll get any better. He’ll be forever letting goals slip through his legs, fumbling and not covering his near post. 

I’d feel a lot more comfortable if we had a Dragowski or Bentley, someone with real presence and experience between the posts.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Bazunu will not improve as time goes on.  We can all keep hoping but I really don’t think he’ll get any better. He’ll be forever letting goals slip through his legs, fumbling and not covering his near post. 

I’d feel a lot more comfortable if we had a Dragowski or Bentley, someone with real presence and experience between the posts.

No doubt Bazunu was really poor last season, and he has had a couple of errors in these first three pre-season games, but to act like a 21 year old keeper will never improve (when keepers famously start performing their best in their late 20s and onwards) is laughable.

Stat time. Bazunu had the worst post-shot expected goals (PSXG) in the top 5 European leagues last season. Essentially, was conceding goals that weren't placed in difficult areas of the net more than anyone else in a top league.

Guess who was the best keeper in this stat (which best quantifies a keeper's ability to save shots) in the Championship last season? Angus Gunn.

Gunn has become a good shot-stopper since leaving us, and Bazunu will become a good shot-stopper too. Will he be good enough this season? I don't know, but I think he deserves more of a chance than three pre-season games to try and iron out his inconsistencies.

Swansea gave up a lot of goals from sloppy passing around the back. I think we have seen that eliminated for us so far with Gav in goal.

I believe that Martin and his staff will have to calculate whether the goals we score from his build-up play and the goals we don't concede from doing it poorly, outweigh the poor saves that will inevitably happen with a young keeper. Their lack of movement for a keeper so far makes me think that, initially at least, they feel like Bazunu is a net positive to the team.

We have 5 games before the window closes. If Bazunu is performing badly in that time, then I'm sure we will bring someone in, but for now he needs the support of the fans. His confidence must be very low and negativity from the fans in the stadium won't help.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu