Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

FFS, just had a thought. If Leicester go through, and so do Liverpool, and they draw each other in the semi-final, their game would have to be on the Sunday as Liverpool play on the Thursday... meaning our game will get rescheduled again against Leicester from the Tuesday... not good as I've already bought non-refundable train tickets.

Edited by Pamplemousse

If Ipswich win today, we will have a very hard job trying to catch them. Points on the board are always far more valuable than games in hand especially at this stage of the season. Hoping for a miracle but come 5.00pm it may be we might have to settle for fourth place with three away games on the trot coming soon.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If Ipswich win today, we will have a very hard job trying to catch them. Points on the board are always far more valuable than games in hand especially at this stage of the season. Hoping for a miracle but come 5.00pm it may be we might have to settle for fourth place with three away games on the trot coming soon.

There’s no way I’m settling for 4th. That’s the lowest position we could credibly finish. We will have to do very well in the run in and especially in those key 3 away games to get auto promotion. But I think you can almost price in Sheff W losing to Ipswich. Would be a big surprise and a welcome bonus if they don’t.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

what fixture list are you looking at? 4 of our next 6 are at home.

Surely you can't be expecting them to drop points at home to Sheffield Wednesday? We're going to have to win there whatever happens in order to get a points swing on them. Same with Leeds and Leicester. We just have to keep winning, one slip up and it could all be over but equally, we could be right in the mix still in 3 weeks time

54 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

There’s no way I’m settling for 4th. That’s the lowest position we could credibly finish. We will have to do very well in the run in and especially in those key 3 away games to get auto promotion. But I think you can almost price in Sheff W losing to Ipswich. Would be a big surprise and a welcome bonus if they don’t.

We're going to finish fourth because we're very clearly the fourth best side in the division.

• Like 9

Leeds will probably beat Millwall tomorrow to go top so one point between the top 3 with us 9 points behind 2nd place. 10 to play for us 8 for the others. We will have to win every game which we won’t do. It also means an inform team better than us will be in the play offs. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

A mountain to climb now

We came back from the September mess but the February disaster has us needing a perfect set of results to get autos now but RM defensive choices will cost us

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1

Bristol City was the worst one, thought he was clever by adding 2 changes to the enforced 2due to injury. We were so disjointed. I doubt we will get to Wembley either as we will be shot after the run in and also deflated.

• Like 2

A mixed day for our recent and not so recent leavers:

Reading score 4 and win easily😀; Eastleigh concede 4 and lose easily 😩; Charlton draw 1:1🫤.

Pompey win 1:0 and remain top of their league😭; Tranmere win 1:0 at Wrexham 😃.

😆

47 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Bristol City was the worst one, thought he was clever by adding 2 changes to the enforced 2due to injury. We were so disjointed. I doubt we will get to Wembley either as we will be shot after the run in and also deflated.

We will need to beat one of Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich to go up via play offs.

Not impossible by any stretch but we can’t continue to play the same way we have been as teams have worked us out.

25 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

We will need to beat one of Leicester, Leeds or Ipswich to go up via play offs.

Not impossible by any stretch but we can’t continue to play the same way we have been as teams have worked us out.

Many fans (and more so, Martin himself) tell us that this is no normal season. Right now, we are 6 points better off at the same stage than Sheffield United last season.

Imagine not even equalling the points total of Sheffield United (who are f-ing crap)....with a not to how terrible the current bottom 8-10 are

Obviously we are conceding far too many goals so it’s up to RM to make us far more difficult to score against.  A settled back four or KWP, THB, JB and Bree would be a good start so let’s get it bedded in time for the play offs and fingers crossed fraser is back and firing 

• Like 1

We will be in the same league as Pompey next season. 
my skate chums are relishing the thought. 
I’m not. 
more grief about their trophy cabinet being fuller than ours incoming. 
we may have been in a higher league than them for the majority,but it really hasn’t given us much to cheer about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

I’m not. 
we may have been in a higher league than them for the majority,but it really hasn’t given us much to cheer about. 

I'm glad they are going up. Games against them are fun, the build up is immense. 

One of the reasons to go to matches is the intense experience of the highs and lows of derby games.

It's completely pointless having a rival if you never play them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'm glad they are going up. Games against them are fun, the build up is immense. 

One of the reasons to go to matches is the intense experience of the highs and lows of derby games.

It's completely pointless having a rival if you never play them.

I agree. We have a significant section of our fanbase who seem to do nothing but sing about Pompey and yet others seem to be scared of actually playing them. As funny as it is to see them stuck in League 1, IF we do stay down it would add a bit more excitement to next season. Lambert's goal at Fratton last time was absolute limbs, even if we did end up drawing. I think I ended up about three rows forward.

more grief about their trophy cabinet being fuller than ours incoming

What, with their one FA Cup since the war (the same as us) which they went bankrupt chasing and ended up in League 2? I'm not sure what it is you'd care about them boasting about. We aren't comparing Man City and Stockport.

• Like 3

Portsmouth Community Football Club have won 2 trophies in their 12 year history 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

I’m not. 

Why are you always so down on your own club? I don't get it. If this doesn't bring you any enjoyment whatsoever then just find something else to do.

• Like 3

I’m not. 

I agree.  The skates may be deluded but in my lifetime they’ve won all three divisions outside of the top flight and the FA Cup. Our club organise a dinner celebrating staying up one season nearly 30 years ago. They’ve had a lot of downs but also some good ups as well. 

A lot of our fans seem to think just being in the premier league is some sort of amazing achievement which is somehow better than winning stuff. We’re a club with a losers mentality happy just to play the big clubs. Always have been. when we did get to a few cup runs one too a final and European campaigns you still had fans moaning it would negatively impact our league form FFS. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I agree.  The skates may be deluded but in my lifetime they’ve won all three divisions outside of the top flight and the FA Cup. Our club organise a dinner celebrating staying up one season nearly 30 years ago. They’ve had a lot of downs but also some good ups as well. 

So you think our own fans have some sort of small time mentality for 'just being happy to be in the PL' but will credit Pompey for winning three leagues which are far, far, far sh*tter. Essentially what they've won is the trophy for finishing 21st, 44th and 67th, or whatever that equates to in real world football terms. I'm sure we'd have won most of that if we spent half our life in the lower leagues.

I'd rather finish 2nd in L1 at the second attempt than win it at the 14th, or whatever they're on now.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A lot of our fans seem to think just being in the premier league is some sort of amazing achievement which is somehow better than winning stuff. We’re a club with a losers mentality happy just to play the big clubs. Always have been. when we did get to a few cup runs one too a final and European campaigns you still had fans moaning it would negatively impact our league form FFS.

Nope, never happened. Everyone loved Wembley and the European games.

• Like 7

Biggest thing I'm not looking forward to is all the local media coverage. South Today and Meridan, or whatever it is called these days will be awash with victory parades and open top bus tours. Have endless days of how a sleeping giant is working itself back to the big time. 

I’m not. 

Grow a set of testicles FFS.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah, but have they ever won the Championship 25 games unbeaten run trophy...?

I think it's fair to say that those three losses have pretty much sealed our fate. The form required to get top two now is imo beyond us given that everyone else keeps winning. Lottery of the playoffs it is. Knowing us we are more likely to lose to west brom or hull in the semi final. 

We’re going to see Vestergard looking very slow and Championship today. Crossing fingers for some injuries too. And confidence-draining thrashing by Chelsea

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Why don’t you go and support them then, seeing as you feel this way? 

They’ve won fuck all that matters and the one thing they did win of any value was won using fraud. Hardly anything to be jealous of. 

55 minutes ago, DT said:

We’re going to see Vestergard looking very slow and Championship today. Crossing fingers for some injuries too. And confidence-draining thrashing by Chelsea

Hmmm...

We have some real pussy fans who can’t seem to cope and have fear of the worst at every turn. Imagine being the sort of wimp who doesn’t fancy a derby? Funny thing that also fawning over other teams’ fans as well and worried about stick from mates about their own team. Fucking snowflakes 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

HT the gap between EFL and PL looked enormous now 2-2.

Funny how whenever a Championship side gets beat it’s a gulf in class yet ignored when the sides beat PL sides. see plank Martin Keown