Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

38 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Saints Web view of Ipswich performance - Relentless, always find a way to win - absolutely no way we catch them or beat them in the playoffs.

Saints Web view of same performance if it had been Saints - Into the crucial period of the season, full house against a team in freefall.....and we just didn't turn up. No energy, no creativity and fully deserved to be behind after an hour (would have been 4 or 5 against Leicester, Leeds or Southampton). Get an equaliser out of nothing and managed to concede again - absolutely gutless. A late rally papers over the cracks (again) and let's not talk about the penalty miss (good luck in the playoffs bottling things like that! Lol) but anyone thinking we hold off Leeds and Southampton or beat them at Wembley needs to give their heads a wobble.

Consensus here in Ipswich is that they massively got out of jail.  Brizzle should have been 2-0 up and then bottled it.  Granted, Ipswich kept going, but they were gifted it.  Ipswich do have a knack of fergie time winners and equalisers though.  However, Ipswich do not get results against the top sides - think I am correct in saying that out of Leicester, Leeds, WBA and us, they have only beaten us.

10 hours ago, Galway saint said:

they are quick and direct 

not sure if i’d rather them or leeds in the playoffs 

Quick and direct are the teams that generally we perform worse against. I wouldn't fancy our chances to be honest. 

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Quick and direct are the teams that generally we perform worse against. I wouldn't fancy our chances to be honest. 

They are almost my second club - have lived in Ipswich all my life and my family are Ipswich fans.  I think you need to:

- Make Davis defend and dont FFS give away silly free kicks around the box

-Target Woolfenden with press - he is very poor.

-Attack down Ipswich right - Clarke and Tuanzebe are not great, and that makes Burns defend.

-Get in Morsys head - he has a red card in him.

-Control midfiend - Morsy, Luongo etc are not the strongest in any aspect, solid and hard working.

-Burns is quick and direct and needs stopping, but ultimately with players like Brooks, Fraser, Kameldeen (!) there should be no comparison

As I said, they were totally outplayed for 80mins last night, failed to beat WBA, Leicester, Leeds at Portman Road.  BUT  - they pick up so many points from losing positions and through late goals.  This is a team built on hard work and spirit as opposed to talent and quality, so you would like to think that if we applied ourselves our quality would shine through.  

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And yet come Saturday everyone will be saying how we really need Leeds and Ipswich to lose. Any of the teams in it could suddenly go four without a win, nothing's over until we're out of it mathematically.

None of them look like slipping up so even if we win most of our remaining matches no way will we be catching them.

Might as well stop striving for the nigh impossible, stay solid and ensure our position in the play offs v WBA (H and A). 

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And yet come Saturday everyone will be saying how we really need Leeds and Ipswich to lose. Any of the teams in it could suddenly go four without a win, nothing's over until we're out of it mathematically.

Of course, we strive for top 2 and while there is a chance we have to keep on going but odds are we won't make it up.

Looking at Ipswich's fixtures - the next 3 should be wins and then they have a more testing run. Standouts are us at home and Norwich (a). We must beat them and I fancy Norwich to beat them, local rivalry + Norwich are looking decent now. They also have Boro(h), Cov(a), Hull(a) which will be tough so it's not quite over yet.

Trouble is then we have Leeds - like Ipswich the next 3 should be wins and then they have a more challenging run Hull(h), Cov(a), Sunderland(h), Boro(a), QPR(a) (which might be a trickier proposition than we think) and us on the last day - again there is a chance.

Looks like Boro\Cov and Hull have a big say in all of this.

IMO we need to win 9/10 out of 11 to be in the mix, 3 of them are away to the top 3 and there are a bunch of tricky home games in there too. It could be that you need 100+ to get autos, crazy but not this season it seems.

Not impossible but it's a very tall mountain now.

Edited by Cabrone
  • Like 2

A lot depends if RM stops tinkering and plays the best team. IMo the rot started at Bristol City where he made 4 changes ( 2 enforced) we know from cup games that we lose all rhythm when we change too many players. Sometimes managers try to be smart, it seems to me Ipswich Leeds etc keep to their strongest team

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Might as well stop striving for the nigh impossible, stay solid and ensure our position in the play offs

What does that even mean? Stop trying to win football matches because we might not win enough to get an automatic spot?

Genius.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cabrone said:

Of course, we strive for top 2 and while there is a chance we have to keep on going but odds are we won't make it up.

Looking at Ipswich's fixtures - the next 3 should be wins and then they have a more testing run. Standouts are us at home and Norwich (a). We must beat them and I fancy Norwich to beat them, local rivalry + Norwich are looking decent now. They also have Boro(h), Cov(a), Hull(a) which will be tough so it's not quite over yet.

Trouble is then we have Leeds - like Ipswich the next 3 should be wins and then they have a more challenging run Hull(h), Cov(a), Sunderland(h), Boro(a), QPR(a) (which might be a trickier proposition than we think) and us on the last day - again there is a chance.

Looks like Boro\Cov and Hull have a big say in all of this.

IMO we need to win 9/10 out of 11 to be in the mix, 3 of them are away to the top 3 and there are a bunch of tricky home games in there too. It could be that you need 100+ to get autos, crazy but not this season it seems.

Not impossible but it's a very tall mountain now.

Read a stat that Ipswich haven't beaten Norwich for something like 14 years which is quite something.

Obviously not always been in the same league but they must have played each other quite a lot in that time.

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Read a stat that Ipswich haven't beaten Norwich for something like 14 years which is quite something.

Obviously not always been in the same league but they must have played each other quite a lot in that time.

McCarthy would have been managing on a 50p budget for some of those years, while Norwich were bouncing up and down with their parachute payments.

Which reminds me, after our opening spell against Liverpool, they set up as a pack to counter our passing out from Has. It was exactly the set up that sides used against Farke's Norwich team. He didn't switch it up and came badly undone as a result.

We've seen Baz having a good range and weight of pass. We've also got Sule to get behind a defence and Aribo/Adams who are physical enough to hold up a longer ball. If we were to go up, hopefully we'd be bearing those options in mind.

23 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Teams who transition quickly and at pace down the wings cause us all sorts of issues and this is compounded by manning tucking in. I think RM needs to be more pragmatic and adapt his style as that’s ultimately what good managers do - have a plan b or c. We did that successfully against West Brom and it worked a treat but all this ‘brave’ crap is now being used to excuse a lack of nouse in how we set up defensively. It will be interesting to see how he sets up when we play Ipswich at Portman Road in the league.

A Brighton fan I know got stabbed in Rome last night by some ultras. He's not the type of bloke to kick off and cause trouble.

What's the world coming to when Roma fans are randomly attacking Brighton fans FFS. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/06/leicester-at-risk-of-breaching-efl-profit-and-sustainability-regulations

possible Leicester points deduction, wishful thinking ?I did say at the beginning of the season Leicester were wobbly financially   and of course I was derided.

No doubt it'll come out next year that they broke the rules this season, then it'll be too late as they would've already gone up at possibly our expense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manji said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/06/leicester-at-risk-of-breaching-efl-profit-and-sustainability-regulations

possible Leicester points deduction, wishful thinking ?I did say at the beginning of the season Leicester were wobbly financially   and of course I was derided.

You also said we are the richest club in the world, then the accounts were published...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, manji said:

There’s wishful thinking and then there’s the realisation it could put them in the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Brighton getting hammered in Rome 

They've had a few good chances but have been very poor at the back.

Will be annoying for their fans who have a ticket to the home leg because they'd have been really excited for it but the tie is already over before it kicks off.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Will be annoying for their fans who have a ticket to the home leg because they'd have been really excited for it but the tie is already over before it kicks off.

Wellbeck missed 3 really good chances, to think he was an England regular not that long ago

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

You’re underestimating their fans’ ability to make it “one of those famous nights in Falmer”

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Turkish said:

Brighton getting hammered in Rome 

I remember a few posters had the hots for Brighton. Replaced the manager, star players blah blah blah. Don’t look so great now do they, haven’t even matched what we did yet under Les Reed yet. 

Hello, Ipswich fan here. Probably not desired lol but thought I'd provide a Town perspective, in light of chownie's attempt at representation. 

It isn't true to suggest Bristol totally outplayed us for much of Tuesday night, that's expectation distorting reality. They worked incredibly hard without possession and arguably recorded the two best chances of the first hour, including their goal, which needed a large deflection over the keeper. They'd nullified us and we consequently made 4 substitutions, after which we gained more and more control before ultimately running riot, missing a penalty and twice hitting the post. 5 big chances to 2, 2.80xG to 0.97xG, very much reflected in Bristol fans' summary of a scoreline they all felt was fair.

In respect to "Fergie time", it may suprise posters to learn that our net gain in injury time is zero points. We gained a point against West Brom and Leicester, but lost two points at Rotherham. We did concede a penalty equaliser to Rotherham on 94' and then retook the lead on 95', at our place, with the game ending on 101', but this was ultimately 3 points retained. Saints, however, would have 8 points less if injury time were wiped from the season. Leeds would have 2 points less and Ipswich's position in the table would be much more comfortable (Leicester's points, like ours, would be unchanged). Think I'm right that most of your injury time winners have been closer to 96' than 90' too, excellent spirit. 

Our top 6 record: W2, D2, L2. Leeds destroyed us away, good game at home, would hate them in the playoffs. West Brom outclassed us away, fair draw at home, rather not in the playoffs. Leicester objectively better, no doubt, but twice tried to see out the game from 45' and deservedly paid the price. We beat Hull comprehensively at home 3-0.

Norwich record: 😓 (dominated the home game but wasn't to be).

Morsy record: 121 games, 10.5K minutes, 42 yellows, 0 reds. Never subbed off, wouldn't count on getting him sent off. He's as streetwise as they come.

Woolfenden: our most comfortable defender on the ball, incidentally. Responsible for inviting the press.

We don't possess the quality of the PL 3, that's very true. Our starting XI is similar to much of this division, with our depth instead proving the difference. However, it's silly to suggest we've been lucky IMO. Scored more own goals than we've benefitted from, no points gain in injury time, conceded as many penalties as we've been awarded (despite comparable chance creation/concession numbers to Leicester, who are +11 on penalties), 2 points below Foxes and 4 points above Saints in the "xG league table" (excluding midweek fixtures), and we received an official apology for 2 goals conceded in our 3-2 loss to Preston.

Sorry for the long post and I won't intrude again. Hoping for Leicester to receive a 60-point FFP deduction and Leeds to fall on their faces final day!

1 hour ago, TractorJames said:

Hello, Ipswich fan here. Probably not desired lol but thought I'd provide a Town perspective, in light of chownie's attempt at representation. 

It isn't true to suggest Bristol totally outplayed us for much of Tuesday night, that's expectation distorting reality. They worked incredibly hard without possession and arguably recorded the two best chances of the first hour, including their goal, which needed a large deflection over the keeper. They'd nullified us and we consequently made 4 substitutions, after which we gained more and more control before ultimately running riot, missing a penalty and twice hitting the post. 5 big chances to 2, 2.80xG to 0.97xG, very much reflected in Bristol fans' summary of a scoreline they all felt was fair.

In respect to "Fergie time", it may suprise posters to learn that our net gain in injury time is zero points. We gained a point against West Brom and Leicester, but lost two points at Rotherham. We did concede a penalty equaliser to Rotherham on 94' and then retook the lead on 95', at our place, with the game ending on 101', but this was ultimately 3 points retained. Saints, however, would have 8 points less if injury time were wiped from the season. Leeds would have 2 points less and Ipswich's position in the table would be much more comfortable (Leicester's points, like ours, would be unchanged). Think I'm right that most of your injury time winners have been closer to 96' than 90' too, excellent spirit. 

Our top 6 record: W2, D2, L2. Leeds destroyed us away, good game at home, would hate them in the playoffs. West Brom outclassed us away, fair draw at home, rather not in the playoffs. Leicester objectively better, no doubt, but twice tried to see out the game from 45' and deservedly paid the price. We beat Hull comprehensively at home 3-0.

Morsy record: 121 games, 10.5K minutes, 42 yellows, 0 reds. Never subbed off, wouldn't count on getting him sent off. He's as streetwise as they come.

Woolfenden: our most comfortable defender on the ball, incidentally. Responsible for inviting the press.

We don't possess the quality of the PL 3, that's very true. Our starting XI is similar to much of this division, with our depth instead proving the difference. However, it's silly to suggest we've been lucky IMO. Scored more own goals than we've benefitted from, no points gain in injury time, conceded as many penalties as we've been awarded (despite comparable chance creation/concession numbers to Leicester, who are +11 on penalties), 2 points below Foxes and 4 points above Saints in the "xG league table" (excluding midweek fixtures), and we received an official apology for 2 goals conceded in our 3-2 loss to Preston.

Sorry for the long post and I won't intrude again. Hoping for Leicester to receive a 60-point FFP deduction and Leeds to fall on their faces final day!

What exactly are you posting this for? You've done really well not sure why you felt the need to justify it on here😕

I doubt may here are interested on how you interpret your games, rose tinted opinions just like all fans of their club.

Yay for more stats and xG.  Always cheers me up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

What exactly are you posting this for? You've done really well not sure why you felt the need to justify it on here😕

I doubt may here are interested on how you interpret your games, rose tinted opinions just like all fans of their club.

For the simple reason that you oddly have Saints supporters attempting to speak on behalf Ipswich fans, providing a false summary of their general thoughts. The post was well-liked, which gave the impression you were genuinely interested in their interpretation. Nobody on Town forums is impersonating Southampton, but I appreciate it isn't of interest and will disappear.

*Visited due to the fire.

Edited by TractorJames
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, TractorJames said:

For the simple reason that you oddly have Saints supporters attempting to speak on behalf Ipswich fans, providing a false summary of their general thoughts. The post was well-liked, which gave the impression you were genuinely interested in their interpretation. Nobody on Town forums is impersonating Southampton, but I appreciate it isn't of interest and will disappear.

Get a life, son.

• Like 1

To be fair, I don't think any Saints fans will care enough if someone on the 'Town' forum is impersonating Southampton.

• Like 1

It’s a forum, a place of discussion and opinions, sometimes facts…. Some more valued than others but don’t tell tdm 🤫

3 hours ago, TractorJames said:

I've spoken to loads and loads and loads of Ipswich fans and they all agree your entire season has been a massive fluke. If you didn't keep getting lucky breaks and the rub of the green and pure dumb luck you would definitely be about thirteenth rather than second.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TractorJames said:

If neither of us go up let's swap managers.

Sheffield Wednesday V Leeds at 8pm

Wednesday in good form in a Yorkshire derby. Let's hope the crowd play their part and we could see Leeds dropping points again tonight. Hoping it gets feisty and some suspensions could be on the cards too

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Watching the Leeds game on Sky, they’re 4-0 down after 13 minutes. Sadly it’s the rugby league.

Watching the ‘other’ Leeds game, but am thinking of switching channels, it’s a hard listen with that cock nosed, arrogant, self opinionated Andy Hinchcliffe. The shouty twat seems to do every fucking championship game on sky.

Barry bannans one of those players that seems to have been around forever but never looks any older. Decent player probably one of those that’s a good player on the championship but not quite good enough for the premier league 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Leeds seem a lot more efficient infront of goal than us. We seem to need hundreds of shots to score a goal. 

They also know how to keep a clean sheet so don’t need to score that many 

At least we'll be able to concentrate on the playoffs with weeks left rather than days. Looking likely we won't even come close to top 2. 

Realistically its going to be very tough to overtake Leeds, despite the two games in hand.

Becoming obvious that we will need to win an absolute minimum of 8/11 to have a chance.

Also caveat this with I don't think this is some kind of huge failing on Russell Martin's behalf...these teams were better than us last season and the margins are small - we had no right to expext auto promotion and can still consider we have had a great season even if autos become very unlikely in coming gameweeks.

Hope fans feel the same because the last thing we need is friction over getting 90 points rather than 96!

Edited by Dusic