Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

9 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I do not think Leicester or Ipswich will win today.

It really will be down to those 2 away games for me Ipswich and Leicester, then we will see if Leeds away means anything. Think Leeds will win the league and Leicester might hold on to 2nd, but will depend on the form of us and Ipswich. 

Hats off to Ipswich they do not look like dropping away, even though they did a while back. 

Playoffs will be fun, but could be heart ache. 

Still all up for grabs at this stage for sure, but we have made it slightly more hard work with the loses at home to Hull and Millwall. 

I’ll get back in my tardis and go to the end of the season. 😊- or perhaps I will not! 😦 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Could you imagine this forum if we were doing a Leicester. They were miles clear not too long ago. Lets see how Maresca handles the pressure

We're into the last 10 games now, most important section to be hitting form. Leeds in an excellent position and hopefully we got our wobble out of the way. 

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

One thing that is noticeable about the times going for promotion is if you put any of them under any form of pressure they panic and capitulate.

Look at our form. Ipswich and Leicester are both there for the taking at the back.

Don't you reckon we're just a tiny bit "for the taking at the back", though?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As I said, look at our form defensively.

Sorry, your post about "capitulating under pressure" and "defensively for the taking" seems to me you are talking about other clubs.

We literally have capitulated, and we literally are for the taking defensively. So no idea what point you're making.

Ipswich had a freak five minutes yesterday on the back of 6 straight wins. They didn't go two nil down to Bristol or Hull etc etc.

• Like 1

The top 2 from last season in the Championship are currently both on half-a-point per game this season.

Fucking miserable.

Difficult to see any of the current top four being quite that bad next year but it's a warning for sure.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

The top 2 from last season in the Championship are currently both on half-a-point per game this season.

Fucking miserable.

Difficult to see any of the current top four being quite that bad next year but it's a warning for sure.

I guess the SR thinking is that to avoid that sort of outcome, that we have to do something a bit different. Despite some lovely stuff under Ralph, they will look at the last days of that. So the Man City controlled approach.

Mileage on SR's left field thinking may differ per poster 🙂

19 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I guess the SR thinking is that to avoid that sort of outcome, that we have to do something a bit different. Despite some lovely stuff under Ralph, they will look at the last days of that. So the Man City controlled approach.

Mileage on SR's left field thinking may differ per poster 🙂

I think Vincent Kompany is pretty familiar with the Man City philosophy, though.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

We're into the last 10 games now, most important section to be hitting form. Leeds in an excellent position and hopefully we got our wobble out of the way. 

I am not convinced about our form. Yes we have a really good side, but we are making very hard work of things for the team we have. For this reason I do think it will be the playoffs for us. Please prove me wrong 🙏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Fucking miserable.

I can't quite get over how bad those two are this year, they've not even competed or attempted to stay up. The most pathetic relegations ever. Not sure how either will fair next year in the Championship either, cannot see them being as dominant as Leeds and Leicester this year for a start.

I'd expect anyone going up this year to give it much more of a shot. Luton are putting them to shame really, they'll most likely get relegated too - but they're giving it a go and are actually trying to compete.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Amazing how Everton haven’t won a league game for three months and still aren’t looking like getting relegated.

Their rivals’ form isn’t exactly awash with green

IMG_0180.jpeg

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I think Vincent Kompany is pretty familiar with the Man City philosophy, though.

Fair point. I was thinking of SR setting it up under Wilcox, without connecting it to someone who might already be using it. I've not seen much of Burnley this season. Are they really trying to play MartinBall?

All this talk of promoted sides being unable to compete in PL is a bit rum. Although you do need a competent tactically astute manger.

i thought Bournemouth, Forest and Fulham could all go straight back down although changed opinion on Fulham after opening game when they outplayed Liverpool. This years crop are shite and Luton should be worst of them but are the only ones making a decent fist of it but more to do with tactical nous of manager than anything else. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Amazing how Everton haven’t won a league game for three months and still aren’t looking like getting relegated.

The way things are shaping up, 30 points could be all that is needed to survive!

Usually there is an uptick in points as teams roll up to the last chance saloon but both Burnley and Sheffield United are doomed and Luton have had some important players out, not sure if they will be back in time. 

The Luton story is pretty boring now.

they are crap, a little less crap than the other 2 promoted sides, but they can’t go through a season dropping this many pints from positive positions.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 19:26, whelk said:

IMG_0180.jpeg

What a depressing league to be a part of. I think we should stay down until the top 6 tootle off to their super league...

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

they are crap, a little less crap than the other 2 promoted sides, but they can’t go through a season dropping this many pints from positive positions.

They will go down sober then !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/03/2024 at 20:26, whelk said:

IMG_0180.jpeg

Jesus Christ, I actually wish we could win the league, pocket the money then stay in the championship. 

So much more fun being in this league and actually standing a chance in games 

21 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Jesus Christ, I actually wish we could win the league, pocket the money then stay in the championship. 

So much more fun being in this league and actually standing a chance in games 

You might want to speak to Stoke, Blackburn and Swansea fans about the reality of that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Luton Town - £12.2m

Back in 2020/21, the Premier League new boys spent precisely zero pounds on transfers and earned exactly nothing in return. Proper old-fashioned Football League stuff by a club that resolutely refuse to move with the times in many respects. The £22.8m spent this season, obviously much less than most clubs, is nevertheless their biggest summer outlay by a country mile.

I find Luton approach to Epl very interesting. Very diff from NF huge spend on PL promo. I assume they are saving the Pl monies to strengthen their club finacially. 

Sensibly realised that you could spend +100 mil and still be relegated from PL. Why not take that PL money and take it back down with you to the the championship. With parachute payments, Luton will have a HUGE cash injection to finacially stabalise ther club and be a force in the transfer market with there new PL $$$$$.

They can start buying better young talent and build a stronger team for another promo. 

I am toying with this idea for SFC. SFC fans are loving the championship, but to stay here we will cause financial ruin and degrdation of talent. But if we get promo to PL and dont buy a buch of expensive players , sell players that are wanted and turn a profit and give it a go with our mainly young raw talent?

If we get relegated, we are in a strong financial postition to buy the best young talent and loans to prep for another exciting season fighting for the championship title, heck we might even win one? 

We are known for our youth academy and have a first rate training grounds. Brought a lot of young talent recently and looking to buy more. We are no longer looking at PL ready players ( +20 mil) to fill out our squad. As we saw last season, a bunch of young raw talent in the PL will not do well. But in the champ they can improve and  develope into great assets.

So.....could we adopt a PL and Champ relegation/promo stratagy that will allow us to stay finacially strong. Aquire the best young talent and loans to push for champ promo, which is so much fun compared to trying to stay in PL and trying to avoid relgation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Luton Town - £12.2m

Back in 2020/21, the Premier League new boys spent precisely zero pounds on transfers and earned exactly nothing in return. Proper old-fashioned Football League stuff by a club that resolutely refuse to move with the times in many respects. The £22.8m spent this season, obviously much less than most clubs, is nevertheless their biggest summer outlay by a country mile.

I find Luton approach to Epl very interesting. Very diff from NF huge spend on PL promo. I assume they are saving the Pl monies to strengthen their club finacially. 

Sensibly realised that you could spend +100 mil and still be relegated from PL. Why not take that PL money and take it back down with you to the the championship. With parachute payments, Luton will have a HUGE cash injection to finacially stabalise ther club and be a force in the transfer market with there new PL $$$$$.

They can start buying better young talent and build a stronger team for another promo. 

I am toying with this idea for SFC. SFC fans are loving the championship, but to stay here we will cause financial ruin and degrdation of talent. But if we get promo to PL and dont buy a buch of expensive players , sell players that are wanted and turn a profit and give it a go with our mainly young raw talent?

If we get relegated, we are in a strong financial postition to buy the best young talent and loans to prep for another exciting season fighting for the championship title, heck we might even win one? 

We are known for our youth academy and have a first rate training grounds. Brought a lot of young talent recently and looking to buy more. We are no longer looking at PL ready players ( +20 mil) to fill out our squad. As we saw last season, a bunch of young raw talent in the PL will not do well. But in the champ they can improve and  develope into great assets.

So.....could we adopt a PL and Champ relegation/promo stratagy that will allow us to stay finacially strong. Aquire the best young talent and loans to push for champ promo, which is so much fun compared to trying to stay in PL and trying to avoid relgation.

If the new EFL financial agreement does away with parachute payments the yo-yo philosophy loses it's appeal somewhat.

On 09/03/2024 at 22:04, woodsaint1 said:

Could you imagine this forum if we were doing a Leicester. They were miles clear not too long ago. Lets see how Maresca handles the pressure

We did in 1948/49 season, miles clear of everyone then screwed up with about 8 matches to go. Failed to get promotion.

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You might want to speak to Stoke, Blackburn and Swansea fans about the reality of that.

Yep - this is exactly it. I understand fans saying let's stay here, as it's a fun season, but it won't always be fun if we get stuck down here.

We had to endure that miserable season under Wotte/Port. Much better to be at the top table taking in the cash than it is to be lingering around in the lower leagues, without the cash.

13 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The 3 promoted sides this year are just too weak, I reckon we'd have stayed up if they were in the league last year. Leeds and Leicester too.

Burnley have had the interesting approach of doing just what we did - buying a load of highly rated young players from Europe, notably spending £15m on a young keeper from Man City - and they're having the same problems as we did, lack of experience and too soon for some of the young players they bought. 

Sheffield United went about it all wrong - they sold their best players to start with, and it was curtains at that point. They wouldn't even be in the promotion picture in the Championship with the squad they have this year. Terrible management.

Luton haven't really evolved, still playing the plucky card with the same limited players who got them through the leagues. Quality wise they are no where near, but it's their spirit and togetherness which has made them somewhat more competitive than the others. They'll ultimately still go down though.

So..if we do fail to go up, Burnley are the only side I think could get their shit together and have a decent year next season. The other two will just be also-rans at best, there won't be 2 or 3 runaways next season.

• Like 2

Couldn’t agree more with the above. Very accurate assessments of the promoted teams.

If Leicester and Leeds go up then they’re a massive pull immediately for any potential player, they’ll be absolutely fine if they’re in the Premier League next season. Their pull would allow them to bring in better players.

Ipswich I don’t think have that same pull, it would be very much on par with Stoke, Luton, Bournemouth etc - plucky.

I think we’d have a certain pull but not as much as the first two.

Essentially you have the top half of teams and then you have the bottom half of the table which is an absolute free for all.

7 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We did in 1948/49 season, miles clear of everyone then screwed up with about 8 matches to go. Failed to get promotion.

I bet this forum was a nightmare when that happened.

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2024 at 19:36, FarehamSaintJames said:

Couldn’t agree more with the above. Very accurate assessments of the promoted teams.

If Leicester and Leeds go up then they’re a massive pull immediately for any potential player, they’ll be absolutely fine if they’re in the Premier League next season. Their pull would allow them to bring in better players.

Ipswich I don’t think have that same pull, it would be very much on par with Stoke, Luton, Bournemouth etc - plucky.

I think we’d have a certain pull but not as much as the first two.

Essentially you have the top half of teams and then you have the bottom half of the table which is an absolute free for all.

Leeds are a massive club but not the pull they should be. Last time they got promoted they had Bielsa in charge but still weren’t able to attract all these players you think they’ll get. They only stayed up for 3 seasons too and despite the narrative pushed out that “watching Leeds is mad anything can happen” they ended up getting quite a few thrashings. 

Daniel Farke ls good at getting teams promoted but not very good at keeping them there. I’d be very surprised if they weren’t in a relegation battle if they go up. Most teams usually are. 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2024 at 19:21, S-Clarke said:

The 3 promoted sides this year are just too weak, I reckon we'd have stayed up if they were in the league last year. Leeds and Leicester too.

Burnley have had the interesting approach of doing just what we did - buying a load of highly rated young players from Europe, notably spending £15m on a young keeper from Man City - and they're having the same problems as we did, lack of experience and too soon for some of the young players they bought. 

Sheffield United went about it all wrong - they sold their best players to start with, and it was curtains at that point. They wouldn't even be in the promotion picture in the Championship with the squad they have this year. Terrible management.

Luton haven't really evolved, still playing the plucky card with the same limited players who got them through the leagues. Quality wise they are no where near, but it's their spirit and togetherness which has made them somewhat more competitive than the others. They'll ultimately still go down though.

So..if we do fail to go up, Burnley are the only side I think could get their shit together and have a decent year next season. The other two will just be also-rans at best, there won't be 2 or 3 runaways next season.

The Championship will be weaker at the top end next year and Saints could very well win it. We'd probably also have a better chance of staying up then. If we scrape into the third spot via the playoffs this year, we'll probably come straight back down again and miss that window of opportunity.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I haven't seen a comment about this so far, though it may be in one of the threads.

It's 0-0 with Wolves and Coventry at the moment. If Coventry get through, could there be a chance that the play-offs will have to be delayed? 

For the semis they'd have to play Thurs (Champ L2) /Sunday (FAC) for the two semis. Europa teams have to do that loads of times.

It's more of an issue if one of the play off finalists gets to the FA Cup final. But it won't happen.

Edited by CB Fry