Flynn Downes

manji

Just now, HarvSFC said:

Downes has missed 9 league matches, 1-0 defeat against Ipswich, 1-1 draw with Watford, 1-1 with Coventry, 2-1 win against Plymouth, 3-1 loss against Bristol City, 2-0 win against West Brom and then 2-1 defeats against Hull, Millwall and Cardiff today.

So, of the 9, we've won 2, drawn 2 and lost 5 without him.

Cheers for that, so a pretty pivotal player then as we’ve only lost 9 all season in total ? 

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Cheers for that, so a pretty pivotal player then as we’ve only lost 9 all season in total ? 

Correct. Leicester have lost 10 but have only drawn 4 against our 9. Thereby hangs the difference. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Downes has missed 9 league matches, 1-0 defeat against Ipswich, 1-1 draw with Watford, 1-1 with Coventry, 2-1 win against Plymouth, 3-1 loss against Bristol City, 2-0 win against West Brom and then 2-1 defeats against Hull, Millwall and Cardiff today.

Blimey that is damning for rest of squad but also for our recruitment team. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I was under the delusion that we had a strong squad. Looking at this analysis, we're a one man team!!

• Like 2

Been obvious for a while that we’d probably be mid-table without Downes. Our most important player by an absolute mile, it’s pivotal he’s fit for the playoffs. Let him go to Dubai before then or something. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

We've lost 4 and drawn 7 with him playing. 

The WBA win we had Charles playing CDM. Flynn is magic in this league, but if we actually played another midfielder with a defensive mindset it would make a big difference. Despite the first half today Smallbone isn't that player, although Aribo being a big lad definitely improves our midfield with Smallbone as the anchor.

Imagine if we had Jack Cork available, when Downes wasn't. (Obviously I would also take Romeu, JWP, Schnederlin, Wanyama too - but probably unrealistic in the Championship!) 

You could see the car crash coming today when he brought Aribo off, essentially surrendering the midfield

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

Blimey that is damning for rest of squad but also for our recruitment team. 

32 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I was under the delusion that we had a strong squad. Looking at this analysis, we're a one man team!!

It’s not that we are a one-man team; the problem is that, in Downes’s absence, the manager prefers to play without a direct replacement for him (I.e. Charles) and selects Smallbone or Rothwell instead, neither of whom has a clue how to play as a 6, or even Stephens, who does but cannot.  As a result, even a team that cannot otherwise score and had 12 absent injured waltzed through our midfield and penalty area and scored twice in a game in which we missed about a dozen decent chances.  Most of us could see it but, for reasons unknown, Martin either cannot or chooses to turn a blind eye.  Again and again and again.

POH, above, has the right idea.

• Like 5

Really good points about FD's importance. We all know how vital he is. But we make his absences even harder to cope with through tactical decisions. I can almost agree that today it should have been ok with WS/JA. But when the changes were made after an hour it was totally wrong not to turn to Charles.

• Like 3

The fact Downes was strolling around watching West Ham on Thursday night was probably a sign he wasn't training/ travelling to Wales. Any indication what is actually wrong with him? 

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Downes being out was a huge blow yesterday, made worse by the idiot, who put Smallbone in his position.  He has shown time and time again that he can’t play there.

He seemed to manage it reasonably well for 60 minutes yesterday. But the changes they made, and RM substitutions bollocksed it. 

Downes has been outstanding for us and vital as shown by the stats when he isn’t available.

I’d be delighted if we sign him or keep him for another year ( but unlikely to happen). Only slight concern is that he seems a bit fragile at times. Not ‘Lavia’ proportions admittedly, but picking up knocks at a relatively young age is not ideal if you don’t manage to cope without him. 

On 20/04/2024 at 19:36, HarvSFC said:

he missed most of the game v Huddersfield (subbed after 24 minutes, injury), we were 0-0 when he went off, we then went 3-1 down, but did remarkably pull it back and won 5-3. That was the start of our slump after the unbeaten run, I know we won it but conceded 3 goals soon after he went off.

Downes is pivotal, and we don't have anyone who can replace him like-for-like, we have players that can play DM but need a different system to be effective. Shea Charles is the closest we have, but he was terrible early season, lost confidence and lost Martin's confidence, hence has hardly played since. He does have the makings of a very good player though, as I have always said (when he was getting abuse on here early season).

5 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Downes and Adams are the most crucial players in this team. If we don't go up we need to do everything to tie them down.

Adams is an interesting one, he’s the cause and solution to our problems. He misses loads of good chances but we’re almost always worse without him 

Edited by Jack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jack said:

Adams is an interesting one, he’s the cause and solution to our problems. He misses loads of good chances but we’re almost always worse without him 

Adams is a perfectly fine championship striker, bit streaky but easily good enough for a playoff chase.  I do think we could easily enough get an equivilent player (maybe Stewart) - we're really just much better with a proper striker playing through the middle, which is what we get from Adams.

3 minutes ago, SaintStinger said:

He's been out for a third of our games this season. It's not good enough imo.

It might make him slightly more gettable in the summer I guess, but either way we need 2x CDM's imo. Either him and 1 other, or 2 new.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It might make him slightly more gettable in the summer I guess, but either way we need 2x CDM's imo. Either him and 1 other, or 2 new.

Not for us unless he loves playing for RM, but I’m pretty sure someone will pick him up !

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Surprising given West Ham looks though they are going to appoint Lopetegui, would have thought Downes would fancy his chances at his club once Moyes is out of the way.

Only said the clubs have agreed, not player.

7 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Surprising given West Ham looks though they are going to appoint Lopetegui, would have thought Downes would fancy his chances at his club once Moyes is out of the way.

Especially as it was apparent that they are missing Declan Rice.

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

A really pleasant surprise, and hopefully Downes will be agreeable.

He'd be good in any team, but critical for ours.

Potentially tying him down early if he agrees regardless of which league we are in is a MASSIVE boost heading into the summer.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I think he’d be nuts to agree a move now. He could get himself a prem move in the summer.

Agree. Wondered if he'd end up at Ipswich if we don't go up.

2 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Saints and West Ham apparently agree fee.

Would be a huge signing for next season in either league. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Only said the clubs have agreed, not player.

Only way this has a chance if we are promoted, we won't be going anywhere near him if we stay down.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Only way this has a chance if we are promoted, we won't be going anywhere near him if we stay down.

Course we will, whether he goes anywhere near us is another matter.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It was on the BBC website this morning - the transfer rumours bit.

I've found these guys can be pretty good.

Contrary to Bangkoksaint, I think if we get promoted, FD will join us and even if we don't get promoted our people should be working overtime to persuade him to stay. Our best loan signing by a country mile. He seems a bit fragile, and like one Saintsweb person said, he's no Kante, but he does a great job for us in midfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Very surprised that the COT have been beaten to the punch on this one. 

Come on lads, up your game. 

All credibility gone, right there. Sad days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Moyes gone but can see West Ham wanting to move Downes on regardless. Their fans are expecting big signings in the summer. 

As they always do.