Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

My thoughts as well. Was Adam the only media rep one there? That's two weeks in a row with questions only from him.

He doesn't really ask questions as such just sets up prompts for Russell Martin to engage in aimless waffle.

It's becoming a right old snooze fest.

Championship sides don't really attract national media. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

My thoughts as well. Was Adam the only media rep one there? That's two weeks in a row with questions only from him.

He doesn't really ask questions as such just sets up prompts for Russell Martin to engage in aimless waffle.

Who are you expecting to be asking the questions at a press conference ahead of Southampton vs Rotherham in the Championship? Bernstein and Woodward?

• Haha 9

On 04/10/2023 at 09:47, JRM said:

I think Rotherham have beaten us in our last three meetings, had a couple of awful cup trips up there. 

Just checked and we haven't won any of our last 5 against them, last Saints win coming in 1965, we must be due one. 

I don't want everyone to get too excited but NASA are planning to go to the moon within the next five years.

RM dis say in the embargoed section with Alfie House that he would make one or two changes today as some players aren't used/able to start 3 games in a week.

Would imagine Stu Armstrong is high on that list and he hinted they might need to think about Alcaraz too considering he will be doing a lot of travelling.

I reckon Adams will start this one.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

RM dis say in the embargoed section with Alfie House that he would make one or two changes today as some players aren't used/able to start 3 games in a week.

Would imagine Stu Armstrong is high on that list and he hinted they might need to think about Alcaraz too considering he will be doing a lot of travelling.

He's travelling next week, don't see why he can't play for Saints today 😐

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

The Alcaraz one doesn't make any sense. Surely his first priority is to his employers, not Argentina. Of course no one wants to hurt his chance of joining up with his national side, but you can't hold a player back from a League game simply to give him a better chance for his national call up. Would imagine Downes, Kamaldeen and Fraser are the most likely to be rested, given they have only recently come back from illness/injury/long lay off (though Fraser hasn't been a starter of course). Personally would prefer Charles to start over Downes anyway.  

1 hour ago, eurosaint said:

He's travelling next week, don't see why he can't play for Saints today 😐

RM occasionally talks absolute b*ll*cks at his PC's, often ideas that pop into his head on the spur of the moment.

Of course Alcaraz should play and will want to play the day after he was called up by his country. He'll feel like a million dollars and will want to share his success with his fans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

This has got banana skin written all over it. Confident expectation has a habit of coming back to haunt us. 1-1.

Just been chatting to some Rotherham fans in town, never heard such pessimistic supporters which to be honest worries me more 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Is this one likely to have streams or only decent option will be a tenner to the club? Has anyone actually got the clubs streaming service to work yet? All I’ve seen are bad reviews. 

It doesn’t work on a Saturday 3.00pm anyway does it ?

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Is this one likely to have streams or only decent option will be a tenner to the club? Has anyone actually got the clubs streaming service to work yet? All I’ve seen are bad reviews. 

Worked great for me on my iPad last Tuesday, but then I am on hols in Portugal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

The Alcaraz one doesn't make any sense. Surely his first priority is to his employers, not Argentina. Of course no one wants to hurt his chance of joining up with his national side, but you can't hold a player back from a League game simply to give him a better chance for his national call up. Would imagine Downes, Kamaldeen and Fraser are the most likely to be rested, given they have only recently come back from illness/injury/long lay off (though Fraser hasn't been a starter of course). Personally would prefer Charles to start over Downes anyway.  

I don't know whether this is the case or not, but you could imagine a young player who has been called up to the World Champions squad to play alongside Messi being nervous about getting injured and having to miss his first call up. So playing at 90% rather than 100%... 

A pragmatic manager might choose not to start them when they have already played twice that week, and they are keeping Che Adams on the bench (devaluing an asset likely to be sold in January)

On 06/10/2023 at 09:03, Turkish said:

Top things Rotherham is famous for..

Saints signing Gerry Forest

a rare start for Augustin Delgado when they beat us 2-1 in the FA Cup in 2004

someone not being from New York City but from Rotherham (if you know you know)

Being used in some of the scenes of the famous film "ID" based on the Southampton DEF

Jamie Oliver trying and failing to make the fatties there thin with healthy cooking

The chuckle brothers

you forgot those arsehole brothers who flashed the Sunderland fans a picture of young Bradley who did of cancer

19 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What are you expecting him to say? It's a press conference it's not supposed to be edge of your seat excitement.

"Manager talks about opposition team in pre match press conference", absolutely fuming mate.

No wonder the Rotherham fans are depressed: sponsored by a hospice!

Actually I quite like it: a real local link.

Team looks OK, with a decent bench to liven things up. I'd have liked a nipper or two there to give them experience if we are in a comfortable situation, but no real issue with that. 

Edit: is DT in a hospice?

Edited by suewhistle
  • Haha 1

On 06/10/2023 at 09:03, Turkish said:

Top things Rotherham is famous for..

Saints signing Gerry Forest

a rare start for Augustin Delgado when they beat us 2-1 in the FA Cup in 2004

someone not being from New York City but from Rotherham (if you know you know)

Being used in some of the scenes of the famous film "ID" based on the Southampton DEF

Jamie Oliver trying and failing to make the fatties there thin with healthy cooking

The chuckle brothers

Based on Southampton DEF ? What do you mean Turkish ?

"I fucking love you gumbo" .. Great film ID.

Just now, Greedyfly said:

I just don't get this line up again, but even with it we should still win.  Still feels like we're winning (if we win) in spite of Martin's fucking about, not because of it. We were good first half last week but meh the second.

What don’t you get?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greedyfly said:

I just don't get this line up again, but even with it we should still win.  Still feels like we're winning (if we win) in spite of Martin's fucking about, not because of it. We were good first half last week but meh the second.

It’s a decent line up.  I’d be playing Charles or Alcaraz  rather than Smallbone, and if we had any competition for Manning, he would be playing LB.  Surely it’s good enough to get past Rotterdam though.

4 minutes ago, austsaint said:

It’s a decent line up.  I’d be playing Charles or Alcaraz  rather than Smallbone, and if we had any competition for Manning, he would be playing LB.  Surely it’s good enough to get past Rotterdam though.

Shit, how long was I asleep? We qualified for Europa!!!

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic