January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Just now, egg said:

I'm not convinced that Danny Wallace was ever properly replaced, and we may as well have shut up shop when we sold Rodney. 

Have we even replaced matt Holland? That's the biggest concern. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Have we even replaced matt Holland? That's the biggest concern. 

One of many who slipped through our fingers. And he never played for Holland. Double travesty.

I like the look of Mao Hosoya linked by the DE.
Always good to have a J league star in the squad for International profile. And if he scores some goals even better. 😇.

Transfmkt it has him as a £1m - for current full Japan International. Cheap. But Sunderland also interested. Surely we’d make that back in international shirt sales alone 😂

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Always good to have a J league star in the squad for International profile. And if he scores some goals even better. 😇.

Transfmkt it has him as a £1m - for current full Japan International. Cheap. But Sunderland also interested. Surely we’d make that back in international shirt sales alone 😂

Be funny if he stayed and ended up as Chairman.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, egg said:

I'm not convinced that Danny Wallace was ever properly replaced, and we may as well have shut up shop when we sold Rodney. 

Did we ever really replace Mick Channon?

6 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Tell us more about him. How many times have you seen him play? What sort of player is he? I’ve never heard of him

• Haha 1

Doesn't sound like a goer but does state we've submitted a loan offer. 

Definitely think we could improve on a non-attacking midfield slot. Happy with Downes/Charles holding, Alcaraz/Stu in the advanced position but then another body where Smallbone typically is would be helpful.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Now, we need a goal scoring right winger with a left foot....

It is a shame Martin seemed to not rate Morgan Whittaker when he was at Swansea. He is bang on it these days

Thought he was absolutely atrocious against us, mind.

Just kept swinging his foot at anything in ridiculous positions with no technique. Although could have been him who should've had the assist? Unsure.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Just kept swinging his foot at anything in ridiculous positions with no technique. Although could have been him who should've had the assist? Unsure.

Most of our players if in that Plymouth side would have been atrocious against us. He was robbed with an assist.

However, been excellent this season and rated one of the best players in the league 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Most of our players if in that Plymouth side would have been atrocious against us. He was robbed with an assist.

However, been excellent this season and rated one of the best players in the league 

Have to wonder why RM couldn’t use him at Swansea and it seems was keen to get him out the door. Possibly attitude, but for whatever reason seems unlikely they’ll look to reunite. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He tied Manning in knots for the disallowed goal but let's be honest, it's not exactly a good marker for how good he is because my nan could do that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Definitely think we could improve on a non-attacking midfield slot. Happy with Downes/Charles holding, Alcaraz/Stu in the advanced position but then another body where Smallbone typically is would be helpful.

Interesting point around Chelsea wanting a Premier League loan rather than Championship.

However would it be better for a players development to come to a team like Saints or Leicester in the league below who have a heavy amount of possession and will win a lot of games or have him chasing the ball around for 90 minutes and and feeding off scraps for someone like Sheffield United?

• Like 2

It is interesting but makes sense. He is obviously thought of as a high value asset. I don’t think many big clubs however would want to take a chance on a kid in such a pivotal position..

In any case the player is probably not essential at SFC .  We sold them Lavia and we already have Shea, Flynn and Will in this DM position. And for such an important position I don’t think we would just chuck a 19 year old in anyways even if he came. 

He’s better off actually playing for someone like Birmingham or QPR imo. 

14 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

If he doesn't let players glide past him with ease he'd be a huge upgrade on smallbone. Sounds like a decent prospect to me, but difficult to judge without seeing him play 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

How different is that to playing Charles there? Aren't they around the same age? We also played Lavia there when he was 18.

I think the main difference is Shea has bee training and playing with us all season. Has got matches u set his belt and is improving. We’ve seen it can take time to get used to any position in this team and playing style ( see Mason holgate debut) let alone that critical pivot role in MF. 
No doubt highly regarded however 

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

And Fabio Carvalho, sadly.

Liverpool not willing to loan him out to a side where he wouldn't be playing regularly, apparently. Saints, Hull and Leeds the main contenders to get him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Appy said:

Wolves in for Ings apparently 

Kieffer Moore it is then. :suspicious:

I see we've been linked with free agent Matthew Sorinola, previously played under Martin at Swansea - but with Meghoma playing like he did today, it begs the question of whether we should block his pathway or not.

• Like 1

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1743701920722629090?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Sounds like a decision will be made soon regarding Fabio Carvalho. I’d like to think we would have a more clear starting slot than Leeds. Wolves would be his preference if he has playing time, I’d imagine. Hull could have Benson and Philogene starting, they are building a decent team.

40 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

https://x.com/fabrizioromano/status/1743701920722629090?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Sounds like a decision will be made soon regarding Fabio Carvalho. I’d like to think we would have a more clear starting slot than Leeds. Wolves would be his preference if he has playing time, I’d imagine. Hull could have Benson and Philogene starting, they are building a decent team.

Yep. Neto back for Wolves now though so not convinced he'd get a great deal of time there.

Leeds seem inundated with attacking midfielders/wingers so I'd be surprised if he went there, guess Gnoto might be off.

If Hull get Benson then I can only see them playing Carvalho centrally, which he can do to be fair.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I see we've been linked with free agent Matthew Sorinola, previously played under Martin at Swansea - but with Meghoma playing like he did today, it begs the question of whether we should block his pathway or not.

We should not.

We have Perraud to return if we go up this year so, as much as Manning's defending leaves a lot to be desired, bringing in another LB in the winter window isn't necessary. At Swansea, Sorinola was behind Manning in the pecking order so wouldn't be adding much in terms of quality. Bree should be back by the end of the month. Holgate is still here in the worst case scenario of three better FBs being unavailable. Swansea under Martin often played a 3-4-3, so even with KWP+Bree+Manning+Meghoma+the U21 FBs all unavailable we wouldn't need to resort to Holgate+Stephens at FB; we could instead play a back three and repurpose some midfielders or wingers to play defensively in the wide midfield positions.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

We should not.

We have Perraud to return if we go up this year so, as much as Manning's defending leaves a lot to be desired, bringing in another LB in the winter window isn't necessary. At Swansea, Sorinola was behind Manning in the pecking order so wouldn't be adding much in terms of quality. Bree should be back by the end of the month. Holgate is still here in the worst case scenario of three better FBs being unavailable. Swansea under Martin often played a 3-4-3, so even with KWP+Bree+Manning+Meghoma+the U21 FBs all unavailable we wouldn't need to resort to Holgate+Stephens at FB; we could instead play a back three and repurpose some midfielders or wingers to play defensively in the wide midfield positions.

On top of all this, we've just recalled Thierry Small from his loan at St Mirren as well, so it seems highly unlikely we will be targeting a new LB in this window.

• Like 2

So having lost out on Carvalho, Alex Crook states we are still in for David Brooks. It’s gone quiet on Benson who was also strongly linked with Hull. 

Usual transfer window report that Ings doesn’t want to come back, this time due to us not being PL.

If Benson does go to Hull, that would be 3 players that chose Hull over us (Philogene, Carvalho and Benson). We also had previous interest in Delap and they have a former Saints academy player at CB. I vote to rename Hull as ‘Nearly Saints Tigers’.

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

So having lost out on Carvalho, Alex Crook states we are still in for David Brooks. It’s gone quiet on Benson who was also strongly linked with Hull. 

Usual transfer window report that Ings doesn’t want to come back, this time due to us not being PL.

If Benson does go to Hull, that would be 3 players that chose Hull over us (Philogene, Carvalho and Benson). We also had previous interest in Delap and they have a former Saints academy player at CB. I vote to rename Hull as ‘Nearly Saints Tigers’.

Not sure Benson necessarily chose Hull over us, sounds like Burley refused to deal with us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Not sure Benson necessarily chose Hull over us, sounds like Burley refused to deal with us. 

Is that just speculation based on the fact that we wouldn't let them pull our trousers down over a deal for Tella? 

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Is that just speculation based on the fact that we wouldn't let them pull our trousers down over a deal for Tella? 

There was an article from the Athletic last week saying a move is highly unlikely due to the poor relationship between the clubs. 

Guess it's hard to say if that's definitely the reason but it certainly wouldn't make a deal any easier. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

There was an article from the Athletic last week saying a move is highly unlikely due to the poor relationship between the clubs. 

Guess it's hard to say if that's definitely the reason but it certainly wouldn't make a deal any easier. 

Sounds like clickbait nonsense from the Athletic to me.

The fact is we loaned them a decent player for a season who helped get them promoted, then refused to accept their bid to sign him permanently because it was significantly less than what we ended up selling him for. That sort of thing happens all the time, and I don't see why it would sour relations so much that it would negate the possibility of any mutually beneficial deals being done in future.

If the Burnley board held a grudge against every club that refused bids for players from them, they would never get any transfer business done. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

If these players are choosing Hull over us then it'll solely be down to playing time on offer.  Fair play to them for that - it'll be hard for any player coming here to break into the first team atm. 

Brooks perhaps had the best chance of happening anyway given he wouldn't need to relocate.

• Like 2

I thought the Perraud loan deal to Nice was really a permanent deal - just a loan for now to help them out of an FFP hole - and it will be made permanent in the summer.

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I think it is safe to safe Burnley were royally pissed off with us refusing to budge over the Tella deal. Look at the chairmans daughter antics on social media "free Tella".

They were made to look very stupid and we were not budging on our valuation.

Why would they want to help us back into the Premiership when there is every chance they will be relegated this season!

5 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

If these players are choosing Hull over us then it'll solely be down to playing time on offer.  Fair play to them for that - it'll be hard for any player coming here to break into the first team atm. 

Brooks perhaps had the best chance of happening anyway given he wouldn't need to relocate.

I do not necessarily agree. A premier league player on the edges of a first 11 would probably back themselves to get good game time as a right forward, should we be pushing to bring them in. 

• Like 1