Saints 2-1 Plymouth - Match Thread

bubblyone

Total dominance from us tonight, could have been more, another victory - get in! :) wonder goal from Carlos :) and neat finish from Che, showing sheer strength to hold off the defender :) Bazunu has been great this season and he will learn from his misjudgement at the end. COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

Plymouth came for the point and got nothing, happy days. I thought the refs were meant to be clamping down on time wasting this season, their goalkeeper spent an age on every goal kick and then you have just two minutes added on at the end of the first half and no booking for the goalkeeper. Was up there with Newcastle's gamesmanship.

Feared it was going to be another Rotherham, we were dominant for the first half hour, playing some lovely football and they couldn't get the ball off us. Unfortunately, the tempo did drop after that and it went a bit slower and a bit easier for the Plymouth defence, but a bit of Premier League quality from Alcaraz unlocked them.

Now we have to see what SR are made of in the transfer window in regards to KWP. He's too good for this level, but we shouldn't be selling him at any price next month and should we get promoted he should be the priority for a new contract. Will be far more expensive to replace his quality in the side.

Bednarek and THB once again imperious at the back, dominated the Plymouth attack and shut down pretty much everything. The redemption of Bednarek is wonderful to continue viewing.

Only complaints really are, I don't get the Stephens sub. Tonight and against Blackburn, we're bringing an attacker off for Stephens and playing three at the back. I would rather that sub went to either Dibling or Amo-Ameyaw for one of our attackers with us winning comfortably, which we were at the time and hopefully keeping the momentum on our side. A. Armstrong off for Stephens makes us a bit more cautious when, as I say we were comfortable. Feels like Neil Warnock's appearance bonus move. Also, Bazunu's monthly error. Didn't cost us tonight and hopefully that's that out of the way for a few more games.

Much easier than the away game even if it was the same score line. We can't stop winning while Ipswich are drawing and Leeds are losing at the time of posting this. Up the Saints.

• Like 1

Should have been more comfortable but any win is good.

Some of the play in the first half was exceptional. 2 very good goals, the Alcaraz one was sumptuous.

I thought Adams played well, pity he didn't take one of his other chances. Made so many runs and was rewarded for those eventually with a great pass from Harwood-Bellis.

Good to hear the fans sing Bazunu's name at the end. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Chez said:

two minutes after the goal in the same situation Baz smacked it first time long - the co-commentator said "that's what he should have done before" and although obvious he was right, especially as going long immediately created a great attacking opportunity for us - the ball was not cleared by their CB and we were three on three.

It may have created an opportunity that time but if you keep kicking it long then most of the time it will come straight back, pinning us down in our own half.

What he should have done with hindsight is pass to his full back. It was that simple

Also, shout out to Edozie. His first half performance was everything we wished Sulemana was. Kept beating their full-back for fun and put in a very good cross across goal which could have gone anywhere. Tracked back a few times too to win the ball back and an assist on the board for Alcaraz’ goal. Long may these performances from him continue.

Nice to see Jos Hooiveld at half time also. Didn’t know he played with Martin at Norwich.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Also, shout out to Edozie. His first half performance was everything we wished Sulemana was. Kept beating their full-back for fun and put in a very good cross across goal which could have gone anywhere. Tracked back a few times too to win the ball back and an assist on the board for Alcaraz’ goal. Long may these performances from him continue.

Nice to see Jos Hooiveld at half time also. Didn’t know he played with Martin at Norwich.

That goal saving challenge at the back was a fantastic moment. I thought Edwards defended pretty well against him at times though 

• Like 3

Back home after the game. First one for me for a while because of a number of life interruptions, but a really good fun evening. For all the howling on here at our players during the match, the result was never in doubt. Yes, we could and should have scored more, yes there were a few missed chances, but the performance was totally dominating. Yes it was a silly goal to give away, but that doesn't happen if it was 1-0, and who cares in the end anyways. It was fun and a real tonic to be back at it in-person, and will be going more and more in future. Reading some of the in-game comments, seems like a few here could do with the same medicine. With the other results, a fine evening all around. COYS!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Tasty:

image.thumb.png.310909e11bcac19701796da766296be5.png

I do think those away games we have left against the big teams will be tricky. I'd back us to get draws in some of them though and hold our ground

That run of form is simply unbelievable. 

Quality, absolutely quality. Was doubtful of the style at first but cannot deny the results and improvement all over the pitch. Sorry for ever doubting you Russ. 

• Like 8

I’m not sure I’ve seen such a dominant half of football as the first half… yet we hardly troubled their keeper at all. They came for a 0-0 draw and their goalie was wasting time from about the 5th minute. They can feel aggrieved about the disallowed ‘goal’ but can have no complaints about the result. Well deserved 3 points, and a continued great unbeaten run 😇

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Appy said:

Their fans were poor for their numbers. 

Other than 30 renditions of “Green and white barmy army” they were silent. 

Not sure about that. I thought they sang loud for much of the match. "Siuthampton's a Northern shithole" made me laugh as did "You're only here for the Argyle". 

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It may have created an opportunity that time but if you keep kicking it long then most of the time it will come straight back, pinning us down in our own half.

sure, but I'm not saying "keep kicking it long", I'm saying, if the pass isn't obvious, and it wasn't, it goes. That happens about two or three times a game. In the end, its all abut good decisions and by and large Baz has cleared his lines when it's got too tight.  I'm guessing this error will be a good reset.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Not sure about that. I thought they sang loud for much of the match. "Siuthampton's a Northern shithole" made me laugh as did "You're only here for the Argyle". 

Sung a bit at the start, then very little else until they fluked the goal. 

On 28/12/2023 at 02:06, benjii said:

I'd be tempted to make a few changes with the long away trip a few days later and, at least on paper, being a more challenging fixture.

KWP must have played virtually every minute so far? Also, Downes seems to be struggling a little for full fitness and Stuey has been running all over the place. Probably best not to start Stephens again soon after an injury.

I'd go something like:

-----------Bazzer----------

Holgate--THB--Bedz---Manning

----------Smallbone---------

---Charles---------Alcaraz----

Adam Arm---Adams---Edozie 

Aiming to give Adam Arm and Edozie a good subbing around the 55 or 60 mins.

Just wanted to doff my cap to your team prediction.    Probably good that Martin decided to extend KWP's involvement - another man of the match performance and one of the silkiest players to watch going round.

2-1 obviously flatters Plymouth. Apart from the 25 seconds between Mumba's wrongly disallowed goal and Alcaraz' sublime strike there was barely a moment's concern, even allowing for Bazunu's stuff up.      It was good to see Saints mix it up with Plymouth putting up the defensive wall - the long diagonal passes to the feet of Edozie and KWP worked well, and the over the top passes to Adams, Smallbone and AA gave a different dimension to the attack.    So many good performances, the week by week improvement in Edozie is very noticeable.  The THB, Bednarek combination continues to impress.    Adams had a good game; Charles played the solid holding midfield role, and Alcaraz looked much improved even before that goal.     The strength of the squad couldn't have been illustrated any better than when Airibo, Fraser and Stu came on just after the hour mark.     Only 32 more unbeaten games to match Arsenal's record!

I’ve been quite the critic of RM and his playing philosophy in the past.

Hands up, I’ve been massively impressed and enjoyed the last two performances. We seem to have a more explosive intent to play forwards and both in between and behind the opponents of late. Our ball retention appears quicker, with purpose and tonight saw a specific game plan with the number of deep runners beyond their defensive line allowing us to okay both in behind and in between their lines.

Fair play, signs of that RM is evolving his playing philosophy and it does appear to coincide with CC appointment. 

• Like 8

Thoroughly convincing performance in everything but the final third I thought. We rode our luck a bit with the offside but you make your own luck to an extent and we kept them comfortably at arms length for most of the rest of the match. Bar that and a brain fart at the end when Bazunu was probably thinking about his supper and a mug of coco, we never really looked troubled. I think if THB’s early header goes in, it’s a different game but it didn’t and it’ was a bit more of a slog.

We do need a better striker than Adams though, he won’t get three good chances like that against better teams. It was a well taken goal when it did come but his shooting generally… good grief.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Thoroughly convincing performance in everything but the final third I thought. We rode our luck a bit with the offside but you make your own luck to an extent and we kept them comfortably at arms length for most of the rest of the match. Bar that and a brain fart at the end when Bazunu was probably thinking about his supper and a mug of coco, we never really looked troubled. I think if THB’s early header goes in, it’s a different game but it didn’t and it’ was a bit more of a slog.

We do need a better striker than Adams though, he won’t get three good chances like that against better teams. It was a well taken goal when it did come but his shooting generally… good grief.

I think Plymouth rode their luck. First half was dominant could have been 4,5,6 nil at half time of luck was on our side. 3 points still and what a run

Quite a difficult one to sum up for me.

Completely dominant in terms of possession again, but didn’t create enough or take enough quality chances, again. 

Another great 3 points, but very lucky the officials were useless in our favour and we should’ve been 1-0 down. But then responded well and cracking goal from Charley.

Adams hopeless finishing, again, until he scores a really well taken goal. 

The worst bit for me was reverting to fannying around with possession at the back for no reason. We were nearly caught a couple of times, Baz played short balls over their press which didn’t find a red shirt and the mistake was coming. Really really stupid to let them back into the game like that. It’s all very well going back to the back 4 to recycle possession with the intention of finding space up the pitch, but pissing about and trying to play keep ball between the back 4 and keeper is ridiculous. 

• Like 3

On 28/12/2023 at 02:06, benjii said:

I'd be tempted to make a few changes with the long away trip a few days later and, at least on paper, being a more challenging fixture.

KWP must have played virtually every minute so far? Also, Downes seems to be struggling a little for full fitness and Stuey has been running all over the place. Probably best not to start Stephens again soon after an injury.

I'd go something like:

-----------Bazzer----------

Holgate--THB--Bedz---Manning

----------Smallbone---------

---Charles---------Alcaraz----

Adam Arm---Adams---Edozie 

Aiming to give Adam Arm and Edozie a good subbing around the 55 or 60 mins.

Apologies if I've already posted this but just wanted to send Benji a well done on his near flawless team prediction. Probably good that Martin decided to extend KWP's involvement - another close to man of the match performance and another chance to watch one of the silkiest players going round.

2-1 obviously flatters Plymouth.  Apart from the 25 seconds between Mumba's wrongly disallowed goal and Alcaraz' sublime strike there was barely a moments concern, even allowing for Bazunu's stuff up.  It was good to see Saints mix it up a bit with Plymouth setting up the defensive wall - the long diagonal ball to the feet of Edozie and KWP worked well, as did the aerial passes to players (Adams, Smallbone and AA) making attacking runs which gave another dimension to test their defensive line.    So many good performances, the week by week improvement in Edozie's game stands out.  The THB, Bednarek combination continues to impress.   Adams had a good game, if not a clinical one.    Apart from one mistake, Charles played the solid, midfield holding role well and Alcaraz looked much improved even before that goal.   The strength of the squad couldn't have been highlighted any better than when Airibo, Fraser and Stu came on just after the hour.

Only 32 more unbeaten games to equal Arsenal's record!

• Like 3

A few worries from last nights game, if I am being picky. 
All that first half dominance should have created more chances. 
Fannying around at the back is just asking for trouble

Martin is trying to accommodate Jack S back into the team which is upsetting the balance. He is no full back and he looks rusty. 
Sort those three things out and I will be happy. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I really enjoyed our play last night, we were superb for much of the game. If you think back we created so many chances from good interplay and were a tad unlucky to only score two quality goals. Because the final score was close I think many are not giving the performance the credit it deserved. If you reflect on our many attempts at goal it feels very satisfying and yes we should have converted more than just the two but for most of the game we put them to the sword. Off the top of my head THB hit the post, Che scuffed a couple of good chances, Arma lobbed from distance just over the bar, Charley hit one that whistled six inches past the post, KWP drew a good save from the keeper, Aribo sent one just wide, Mara had one blocked and Wee Man should score when clean few - there were probably more as well. Plymouth had zero on target until their gifted goal although of course they were unlucky with the one disallowed by the useless lino. Overall I thought we were brilliant especially considering the number of games at this time and the fact that we made changes. 

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, saintant said:

I really enjoyed our play last night, we were superb for much of the game. If you think back we created so many chances from good interplay and were a tad unlucky to only score two quality goals. Because the final score was close I think many are not giving the performance the credit it deserved. If you reflect on our many attempts at goal it feels very satisfying and yes we should have converted more than just the two but for most of the game we put them to the sword. Off the top of my head THB hit the post, Che scuffed a couple of good chances, Arma lobbed from distance just over the bar, Charley hit one that whistled six inches past the post, KWP drew a good save from the keeper, Aribo sent one just wide, Mara had one blocked and Wee Man should score when clean few - there were probably more as well. Plymouth had zero on target until their gifted goal although of course they were unlucky with the one disallowed by the useless lino. Overall I thought we were brilliant especially considering the number of games at this time and the fact that we made changes. 

Completely agree with this. We created loads of chances and on another day that could have been as comfortable as the Swansea game was.

There's still one game of the Xmas period to go but so far we have been excellent. The squad management has meant more players getting match time which keeps them up to speed and gives others a rest.

Would absolutely love to see Dibling get on the pitch during a league game we are bossing so he can show what he can do. The kid is a special talent and it would be great to see him get some game time.

• Like 2

Convincing win despite the nervousness at the end.

KWP and THB were brilliant. Alcaraz wasn't great until the goal though.

I thought Smallbone was way off it and Manning's defending for the disallowed goal was atrocious. Hopefully Downes is back for Norwich, he's so key for us in that position.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Appy said:

Their fans were poor for their numbers. 

Other than 30 renditions of “Green and white barmy army” they were silent. 

Quite ironic that we started singing "You've only got one song" though I did like the "F*cking useless" chant that we'd say about their goalkeeper as he knocked another goal kick in to touch and then they'd do the same to one of our missed passes.

This match really highlighted the gulf in class between the top 4/5 in this division and the rest. Apart from needing a striker, it's looking pretty complete. Manning has upped his game and the centre back pairing is premier league. Only Smallbone spoils the midfield and the wingers are quality. 

Just a little concerned Jack Stephens is given game time. As people have said on here, he upset the balance of the team and I half felt that even Baz on his fuck up hesitated because he looked around and thought 'can't pass to that muppet' so options from playing out from the back are more limited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Quite ironic that we started singing "You've only got one song" though I did like the "F*cking useless" chant that we'd say about their goalkeeper as he knocked another goal kick in to touch and then they'd do the same to one of our missed passes.

This match really highlighted the gulf in class between the top 4/5 in this division and the rest. Apart from needing a striker, it's looking pretty complete. Manning has upped his game and the centre back pairing is premier league. Only Smallbone spoils the midfield and the wingers are quality. 

Just a little concerned Jack Stephens is given game time. As people have said on here, he upset the balance of the team and I half felt that even Baz on his fuck up hesitated because he looked around and thought 'can't pass to that muppet' so options from playing out from the back are more limited.

Would you rather Stephens gets some game time while we are rotating the squad during a busy period and comfortably winning matches, or sits on the bench until one of the CB's gets injured and then has to come straight into the team for a run of games without potentially playing for months?

There's is absolutely no way Bazunu thought that either. One thing you can see from our play is that the players all trust each other. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

People commenting on their 'goal' ruled out for offside, but we probably had 3 attacks in the first half that the same lino incorrectly flagged and might have created something more.

If offside 'goals' counted we might have another League Cup in the trophy cabinet.

This.

13 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Watch Adams' movement for the goal, terrific stuff 

https://x.com/SaintsExtra/status/1740816452402209157?s=20

Adams movement the whole game was brilliant. In the second half we were level with the line in the Itchen and the amount of runs that are made is truly amazing. Every few seconds one of the line will make a run and then drop back in. Never really noticed it before. Adams off the ball work is brilliant. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

I thought first half we were so dominant that it might breed complacency second half- and that we also might run out of confidence & energy if we did not score. 

We did score, deservedly, thank goodness, and that was a reward for all the patience and hard work put into the preceding minutes. The second goal especially was the sign of a good team going in for the kill after making the breakthrough. Sort of thing Man City do all the time. 

Only point of concern for me was the obvious fatigue - both physical and mental - evident in several of our players at the end. Not really seen that tiredness as much this season in any of them really - but there were a number of individual mishaps and mistakes- losing possession , getting caught in possession, missed passes, ( not just that Baz thing!) towards the end that don’t or rarely ever happen. 

The players looked physically tired. But in addition scoring two goals had mentally relaxed them - and that they dropped attention “ levels” accordingly. I hope it was because we were 2-0 up and not because they’d totally run out of juice. 

We are going to need a lot of mental and physical fitness for Norwich so recovery is key now. 

• Like 1

I find Alcaraz frustrating, he often gives the ball away. Good job I’m not managing this team as I was calling for his head just before that wonder strike. Same with Adams, useless until he got his goal. We dominated from start to finish as they came to sit behind the ball and take a counter if it came their way. It nearly worked for them too. We’ll need a bit of luck and we got it yesterday in the shape of some poor officials. This is a fantastic run. Well done Saints! 

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I thought first half we were so dominant that it might breed complacency second half- and that we also might run out of confidence & energy if we did not score. 

We did score, deservedly, thank goodness, and that was a reward for all the patience and hard work put into the preceding minutes. The second goal especially was the sign of a good team going in for the kill after making the breakthrough. Sort of thing Man City do all the time. 

Only point of concern for me was the obvious fatigue - both physical and mental - evident in several of our players at the end. Not really seen that tiredness as much this season in any of them really - but there were a number of individual mishaps and mistakes- losing possession , getting caught in possession, missed passes, ( not just that Baz thing!) towards the end that don’t or rarely ever happen. 

The players looked physically tired. But in addition scoring two goals had mentally relaxed them - and that they dropped attention “ levels” accordingly. I hope it was because we were 2-0 up and not because they’d totally run out of juice. 

We are going to need a lot of mental and physical fitness for Norwich so recovery is key now. 

Good point. Our possession based principle tires out our own players as much as the opposition.