Saints 2-1 Plymouth - Match Thread

bubblyone

24 minutes ago, bubblyone said:

Could anyone enlighten me to the reason for the 18.00 kick-off?

TV?

Not putting many off, mostly just single seats remaining scattered around the stadium - Boxing Day* (*Trousers to the front desk please) also close to a sell-out, would have been already if Swansea hadn't sent back so many tickets, Blocks 43 and 44 now on sale to home fans.

8 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Why was attendance so low for the Blackburn match then (27-28K?). Was that largely away attendance being thin?

Yeah pretty much, only just over 1k Blackburn fans when most teams bring nearly 3k. Few empty in the home end but not surprising just before Christmas. 

Festive week home games are always popular, Swansea game has been close to a sell out for a while, they're not bringing many fans at all despite subsidised coaches, it's good we've now got blocks 43 and 44 for home fans and I'm sure we'll sell out before match day, just a shame they wait to put them on sale last so end up with a mix of fans who buy last minute rather than a concentration of fans who want to stand like the rest of the Northam. Will be good to see two full home "ends" though. Will be most Saints fans at a game for several years. 

Plymouth at 6pm on a "working day" does feel odd and might be inconvenient for those who have to work but virtually sold out already, so many people off pubs will be busy all afternoon, they are bringing full 2825 allocation sold out before general sale, big game for them being the Mayflower derby. 

9 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

V weird kick off time. Has a league match in England ever kicked off at 6pm before?

A few years back when the BBC had the FA Cup they tried a couple of years with Sunday 6pm kick offs, it is quite a good slot from a TV perspective.

Really it is there to maximise the number of games back to back on Sky, which as everyone knows is the true meaning of that period between Christmas and New Year.

• Like 2

Plymouth have a really bad record away from home so far. No wins at all. Do I not hate games like that.

Plymouth 11 0 4 7 7 19 -12 4

Two homes games this week, six points a must as it will put us right up there with Ipswich as I reckon they will lose against Leicester, and maybe only get a point with QPR as after a couple of defeats in a row they may be a bit fragile. Anyway, we cannot control their form, but with six points we go to 51...and if they fail to get more than say two points from their two games, we would be just three points behind them.

Question is, can we get those six points from two games that on paper, look very winnable. Or, will we do the usual win one and draw one and drop two crucial points? Come on RM, get them points this week!

3 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

Plymouth have a really bad record away from home so far. No wins at all. Do I not hate games like that.

Plymouth 11 0 4 7 7 19 -12 4

Two homes games this week, six points a must as it will put us right up there with Ipswich as I reckon they will lose against Leicester, and maybe only get a point with QPR as after a couple of defeats in a row they may be a bit fragile. Anyway, we cannot control their form, but with six points we go to 51...and if they fail to get more than say two points from their two games, we would be just three points behind them.

Question is, can we get those six points from two games that on paper, look very winnable. Or, will we do the usual win one and draw one and drop two crucial points? Come on RM, get them points this week!

Both Swansea and Plymouth are currently managerless, I think that makes them quite unpredictable, Swansea will also have the extra motivation of wanting to get one over Russell Martin. Games will be tough. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

A few years back when the BBC had the FA Cup they tried a couple of years with Sunday 6pm kick offs, it is quite a good slot from a TV perspective.

Really it is there to maximise the number of games back to back on Sky, which as everyone knows is the true meaning of that period between Christmas and New Year.

Have to confess I quite enjoy a ton of football on TV over this period. Selfishly, I don't want a mid-season break.

• Like 4

6pm kick off on a Friday is utter bollocks. 

This is a normal working day for me, with a 5pm finish. 

That would give me an hour to drive from Andover to my car parking spot, and then walk to the ground. 

Thanks Sky, you twats. 

I shall have to spend Wednesday and Thursday coercing and convincing work colleagues into helping facilitate an early finish. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

V weird kick off time. Has a league match in England ever kicked off at 6pm before?

They did the same last season in the Championship as well, there were a round of matches on the Thursday after the Christmas and they had two games in the evening, one at 6 and one at 8.15

33 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

That would give me an hour to drive from Andover to my car parking spot, and then walk to the ground. 

Thanks Sky, you twats. 

I shall have to spend Wednesday and Thursday coercing and convincing work colleagues into helping facilitate an early finish. 

Just get an 'iffy stomach' about 3 ish....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Block 5 said:

Thanks Sky, you twats. 

You would hope during the festive period your colleagues would be obliging unless you are a “challenging” person to work with 🤣

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

You would hope during the festive period your colleagues would be obliging unless you are a “challenging” person to work with 🤣

Tbf I'd do it even if the person was challenging. I mean, stopping someone seeing their football team is just inhuman.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Plymouth - Friday 6pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

They drew 2-2 with Cardiff today. Whittaker scored both. 

We, however, have only conceded twice in our last 6 home games.

If Leicester keep up their form and beat Ipswich this evening then a win will see us close to a single point behind Ipswich with a better GD before they KO at home to QPR, which they *should* win, but the pressure will be on.

Travelling up with the whole family from Cornwall for this, 4 of us Saints, middle son in with Janners.

Coincides with youngest son’s 13th birthday too and he wants to meet the players arriving.  Last time we did it a few seasons ago they arrive about 4 hours beforehand (11am for 3pm ko).  Anyone know if this still the case? Planning on getting there about 2 but would hate to miss them if anyone knows different….

Whittaker (who is very good), Hardie (who has been injured) and Azaz are their goal threats. They fight for everything, despite their manager jumping to Stoke. 

Their success this season is largely due to their home form, as they have been (generally) poor away. They have pace on the break and will likely use it against us...They are having a fine season (relatively).

Just hope complacency does not set in.

2-0 to Saints.

Edited by AlexLaw76

Difficult to know what to do with the team after that showing; Argument for leaving alone but I’d prefer KWP at full back instead of Stephens or (preferably) Manning. Shea back available so expect Dibbling to drop out of the match-day squad. 
I guess there might be some rotation to save legs for Norwich but no idea on who will need the rest. Wouldn’t be averse to something like

Baz

Stephens THB Bednarek KWP

Smallbone Downes Aribo

ArmA Charlie Edozie

Bit of a rest for Stu, Shea in reserve for midfield changes. 
But we’re in such a good place right now I’d happily see the same 11.

13 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Difficult to know what to do with the team after that showing; Argument for leaving alone but I’d prefer KWP at full back instead of Stephens or (preferably) Manning. Shea back available so expect Dibbling to drop out of the match-day squad. 
I guess there might be some rotation to save legs for Norwich but no idea on who will need the rest. Wouldn’t be averse to something like

Baz

Stephens THB Bednarek KWP

Smallbone Downes Aribo

ArmA Charlie Edozie

Bit of a rest for Stu, Shea in reserve for midfield changes. 
But we’re in such a good place right now I’d happily see the same 11.

I agree, I'd rest Stu for this game. We know he struggles with multiple games in quick succession and he's played 3 in 10 days now. Although Stephens did ok today I still don't think he should be starting in our best team so I'd put KWP back into defence for this one. 

• Like 2

I'm going to open a can of worms and mention xG now in the hope that the feel good factor post Swansea will keep me out of trouble!

This xG table is entertaining reading

It will adjust according to the various headings if you click them. 

We are bossing it, and yet we are still 'relatively' under scoring the number of chances we are creating - which means there is still room for improvement even after 16 games unbeaten (11 wins, 5 draws I think?)

Plymouth yet to win away, must be fearful of a visit to Fortress St Marys - however we ended their impressive run of home wins, so let's hope they don't return the favour. 

Saints 3-1

COYRs

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
fucking up the stats on a post about stats

On 19/12/2023 at 21:34, trousers said:

Yup...

Screenshot_20231219-213330.png

I expect Ipswich to beat QPR so we've got to win to keep the pressure on them, we've managed to claw back the goal difference which will help if we get level on points. 

I've watched Plymouth a few times this season, we'll need to be prepared for their pace up front , hard working side but limited squad, being the 3rd game in 7 days its when having strength in depth needs to make a difference, legs will tire as the game goes on. 

Expecting a good atmosphere for this one, Plymouth sold out full away allocation, home end complete sell out , unfortunately Southampton Central Station is closed though so bus replacements a real pain for those travelling that way. 

The only thing that stops us winning this game is complacency. Hopefully the fact we've closed the gap so quickly to Ipswich will be motivation to keep going, especially as they have QPR on Friday and will very likely get back to winning ways themselves.

Think it will be tougher than Blackburn or Swansea games but we'll still win comfortably. 3-0

16 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I'm going to open a can of worms and mention xG now in the hope that the feel good factor post Swansea will keep me out of trouble!

This xG table is entertaining reading

It will adjust according to the various headings if you click them. 

We are bossing it, and yet we are still 'relatively' under scoring the number of chances we are creating - which means there is still room for improvement even after 16 games unbeaten (11 wins, 5 draws I think?)

Plymouth yet to win away, must be fearful of a visit to Fortress St Marys - however we ended their impressive run of home wins, so let's hope they don't return the favour. 

Saints 3-1

COYRs

Interesting figures. Doesn't it say that we are actually almost exactly hitting our xg? Which surprises me as I thought we were lacking a clinical striker and not taking our chances. Turns out we're converting averagely well

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Team yet to win away and in relegation battle Vs team who haven't lost since September and demolishing teams at home.

We know where this one's going...

Just hope they don’t make their new manager appointment later today or tomorrow giving them the  inevitable ‘bounce’ for the fixture as well 

Edited by Badger

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Just hope they don’t make their new manager appointment later today or tomorrow giving them the  inevitable ‘bounce’ for the fixture as well 

Already confirmed the caretaker is in charge for the next two games at least.

I'd be tempted to make a few changes with the long away trip a few days later and, at least on paper, being a more challenging fixture.

KWP must have played virtually every minute so far? Also, Downes seems to be struggling a little for full fitness and Stuey has been running all over the place. Probably best not to start Stephens again soon after an injury.

I'd go something like:

-----------Bazzer----------

Holgate--THB--Bedz---Manning

----------Smallbone---------

---Charles---------Alcaraz----

Adam Arm---Adams---Edozie 

Aiming to give Adam Arm and Edozie a good subbing around the 55 or 60 mins.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Plymouth - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-1 Plymouth - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic