Saints 2-1 Plymouth - Match Thread

bubblyone

There are going to be at least 11 pilgrim motherfuckers who wished they stayed in Plymouth.

We’ll fucking destroy them.  Another 5 nil.  Bit of work on the training pitch to work on getting on the end of Edozie/Fraser’s crossing means a nice little hat trick for Armstrong A.

Here we go, here we go, here we go, the saints are the best we all fucking knoooow

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Park up in cousin space, couple of beers in Banana.

Little walk to the ground, grab a few burgers maybe a couple in the bar, another 5-0 back to the Banana for some food and another couple. 

Sleep over, then the four of us back to Bristol to get the youngest back for his Toolstation game at 2 

6 o’clock kick off, holy crap glad I booked this week off……………………..

Edited by Saint Gifford
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Park up in cousin space, couple of beers in Banana.

Little walk to the ground, grab a few burgers maybe a couple in the bar, another 5-0 back to the Banana for some food and another couple. 

Sleep over, then the four of us back to Bristol to get the youngest back for his Toolstation game at 2 

6 o’clock kick off, holy crap glad I booked this week off……………………..

quite an appetite you've got there chap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looks like Fraser will start, same back 4,  maybe Alcarez in for Armstrong; Fraser for edozie 

I wouldn't change the excellent tag team. Edozie can tear them a new one for about 60 minutes, with Fraser replacing him to put the knife in. Rinse and repeat in the next match.

• Like 4

Just now, Dark Munster said:

I wouldn't change the excellent tag team. Edozie can tear them a new one for about 60 minutes, with Fraser replacing him to put the knife in. Rinse and repeat in the next match.

I agree. Just Martins comments about him and Fraser fighting if he doesn’t start soon made me think he’s planning it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I agree. Just Martins comments about him and Fraser fighting if he doesn’t start soon made me think he’s planning it.

Understandable. But if I were RM I'd take Fraser aside and say he's been playing brilliant, but so has Sam, and he does well against tiring defenders. Also let him know that he wants to keep him fresh for the many upcoming matches, and he'll come on in the second half whether we're winning, losing or drawing.

Changing the tag team so that Fraser starts and Edozie comes on later is possible of course, but Fraser does much better as an impact sub.

10 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Understandable. But if I were RM I'd take Fraser aside and say he's been playing brilliant, but so has Sam, and he does well against tiring defenders. Also let him know that he wants to keep him fresh for the many upcoming matches, and he'll come on in the second half whether we're winning, losing or drawing.

Changing the tag team so that Fraser starts and Edozie comes on later is possible of course, but Fraser does much better as an impact sub.

Yep.

Edozie seems to play better from the start, where as Fraser seems to make more of an impact off the bench. No need to change it IMO.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I agree. If Fraser is getting goals and assists off the bench for the last 30 mins and Edozie is getting them for the first 60 then no need to change. Fraser isn't going to start getting 4 goals and two assists every match if he starts and Edozie isn't going to get too fatigued. Output is currently great the way it is.

• Like 5

Fraser is also not our player, Sam is. Unless there are plans to make the wee man permanent - with Howe under a bit of pressure he might be thinking his Newcastle career might not be over - why would we worry about keeping a loan signing happy over the continued development of one of our brightest prospects? It’s a nice problem to have, two players playing very well…I’m not sure I’d change something that’s working well, until it’s needed.

Edited by em00jie
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, em00jie said:

Fraser is also not our player, Sam is. Unless there are plans to make the wee man permanent - with Howe under a bit of pressure he might be thinking his Newcastle career might not be over - why would we worry about keeping a loan signing happy over the continued development of one of our brightest prospects? It’s a nice problem to have, two players playing very well…I’m not sure I’d change something that’s working well, until it’s needed.

Edozie is both the present and future. He started the season brightly and was unlucky to lose his place to Sulemana when he failed to engineer a move away.

Fraser should be an impact sub for the season and backup.

Sulemana will be off the second he gets a lucrative offer and has created less than either Edozie or Fraser. Exciting though he can be i don't see him sticking around.

And, don't forget there's Sam Amo-Ameyaw waiting to come through from the youth team who we should be getting senior team minutes to.

I'd love a near future where our front wide players are Edozie and Amo-Ameyaw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, em00jie said:

Couldn't care less if he was on loan from Pompey, play your best team. As it happens Edozie then Fraser seems to be working fine, so I wouldn't change it, but his loan status has no bearing on that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, em00jie said:

Bear in mind that we are Southampton, sooner rather than later we will lose Sam Edozie to a top six club if his potential is fully developed. No doubt envious eyes are already being cast in our direction as the youngsters grow in stature.

Also, don't be too sure that there is a route back for Ryan Fraser. The Toon owners have greater ambitions and bigger fish to fry than a mid twenties squad player who left to get game time in the Championship. Fraser is far more likely to be our player in the longer term.

• Like 1

Plymouth played a 343 away to Cardiff ( source their website) and it seemed to work fairly well for them. 
Theyve not been good on the road but will bring plenty loud support. 
Given that I think they will try to do the same again, if it ain’t broke etc, and want to put in a good show for their travelling  fans rather than an ultra defensive very low block / can they get a 0-0 draw or a breakaway or set piece goal type of match. 

Should play into our hands if so. 

43 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bear in mind that we are Southampton, sooner rather than later we will lose Sam Edozie to a top six club if his potential is fully developed. No doubt envious eyes are already being cast in our direction as the youngsters grow in stature.

Also, don't be too sure that there is a route back for Ryan Fraser. The Toon owners have greater ambitions and bigger fish to fry than a mid twenties squad player who left to get game time in the Championship. Fraser is far more likely to be our player in the longer term.

I'd be stunned if Newcastle want Fraser back. By the way, he turns 30 in a month or so.  My guess is that he will become a permanent Saint if we don't get promoted - but if we do, the Club might look elsewhere.     If Edozie continues his improving trajectory then the Club will almost certainly need promotion to keep him.   If we fall short, I could see a lower level Prem Club picking him up; top six club?   Not so sure.

17 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Plymouth played a 343 away to Cardiff ( source their website) and it seemed to work fairly well for them. 

Interesting. Would work well for them if they have excellent wing-backs that are pacey and have high stamina.

If they employ that formation as low-lying and defensive, then it may well prove tricky for us to unpick them. It also might set us up to concede to their 5 attacking players (wingbacks included) via counter-attacks, which we are still somewhat vulnerable to, especially from our own corners!

If, however, they 'go for it' and have their wingbacks pushing high as attacking wingers consistently, then it could be a fun game for Edozie on the wing.

Will be interesting from a tactical viewpoint to see what they go for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Interesting. Would work well for them if they have excellent wing-backs that are pacey and have high stamina.

If they employ that formation as low-lying and defensive, then it may well prove tricky for us to unpick them. It also might set us up to concede to their 5 attacking players (wingbacks included) via counter-attacks, which we are still somewhat vulnerable to, especially from our own corners!

If, however, they 'go for it' and have their wingbacks pushing high as attacking wingers consistently, then it could be a fun game for Edozie on the wing.

Will be interesting from a tactical viewpoint to see what they go for.

I suspect they wont come to St Marys and 'go for it'

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I suspect they wont come to St Marys and 'go for it'

I think set up asymmetrically they'll go for a high block and try to get more turnovers in the red zone. They might utilise a number 10 in the offensive press then revert to inverted full backs with a low block when we have the ball in their half. This would be counter weight to when our full backs overlap. I expect them to try overloads where possible using a double pivot although i noticed when analysing Plymouths last few games they've gone for the matador approach in midfield which has created nice third man combinations. Whatever happens it's going to be one hell of a tactical battle. 

• Haha 11

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think set up asymmetrically they'll go for a high block and try to get more turnovers in the red zone. They might utilise a number 10 in the offensive press then revert to inverted full backs with a low block when we have the ball in their half. This would be counter weight to when our full backs overlap. I expect them to try overloads where possible using a double pivot although i noticed when analysing Plymouths last few games they've gone for the matador approach in midfield which has created nice third man combinations. Whatever happens it's going to be one hell of a tactical battle. 

Sorry, I can't take this seriously without any stats or xG being quoted.

1/10 - must try harder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Sorry, I can't take this seriously without any stats or xG being quoted.

1/10 - must try harder.

funny you should say that the low block + the matador + the double pivot + the inverted full back has seen a direct attack drop by 0.79 to 3.13 this season, with a reduced speed to 1.41, i'm a huge fan of the matador but i'm not sure that with a double pivot is great for attacking football, but how was to be excited by that when there is so much else to analyse. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hard to tell which Plymouth it will be. Just watched highlights of when they got tonked 4-0 by LCFC and they had a fair few chances to make a game if it - though all the goals conceded were pretty poor. Doubt they will try that mode again. 

IF they did try it could be a 3-0,3-1, 4-0,4-1, 5-0 or 5-1 to saints but if, as I think more likely, they try to frustrate us it might be one of those 0-0 at halftime and hope the pressure eventually pays off in the end kind of matches. That we all hate. With hopefully no defensive brain farts on our side either. 

Call me old fashioned but I always feel better when we are leading at ht. especially if it’s 2 or 3.😄

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

Drop Edozie! 5 0 win and he was pretty much MoTM. Frazer was excellent but I can't see that happening.

Frazer's a loan player probably looking for a contract he can wait. FA cup game coming up, he'll start then, with young Sam on the other side. Poor Walsall

Sadly we all know how opposition teams will eventually deal with Edozie and that's to take him out. He's already been cleaned out a few times. Sensible to have back up.

Plymouth will be physical like WBA, Stephens needs to play somewhere and maybe Charles.

They are a funny side, could cause us problems or roll over, hard to tell.

This time last year Saints had been dicked by Brighton, and were facing another grizzly defeat at Fulham.

That was horrible, much better feeling this year.

• Like 2

Posted on another thread. Just looked at their results and they are doing alright....

Just looked at their results, they have scored a lot in the last few games (and let in a few too). They have not been well beaten in any game, other than away to Leicester (4-0). They lost to Leeds 2-1 at Elland Rd and lost 3-2 away to Ipswich.

They have spread their goals about too...

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Posted on another thread. Just looked at their results and they are doing alright....

They're not a bad side, however they have just had their manager walk out on them , just before Christmas of all times must have disrupted the preparation, we are also about to play 3rd game in a week when squad strength starts to show. It's worked out quite well for us with a short trip to QPR then a week at home, Plymouth doing their 2nd trip in a few days , could take its toll. 

Seen quite a few people asking around for tickets, high demand for such a fixture. 

• Like 2

Got a feeling this is going to be one of those hard fought wins where we just get it over the line. Plymouth will park the bus Infront of a brick wall, we may have to be patient.

I also think QPR can get a point from Ipswich and we go into 2024 just 3 points behind them.

46 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I’d like Alcaraz to start this one. And maybe keep KWP at right midfield.

Didn’t love KWP at right midfield personally.

I can see Stephens starting again though against his youth club. I just hope when we do it it’s like Swansea and not ever for THB or Bednarek who have formed a great partnership.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I can see Stephens starting again though against his youth club. I just hope when we do it it’s like Swansea and not ever for THB or Bednarek who have formed a great partnership.

I take the point. I was surprised to see Stephens as (what seemed) a straightforward right back v Swansea. I wonder if there is a case for 3-5-2 though? 

11 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yeah I don’t think it worked that well either. Stephen’s will need to bide his time, he didn’t look great out of his normal position.

Edited by captainchris

5 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I take the point. I was surprised to see Stephens as (what seemed) a straightforward right back v Swansea. I wonder if there is a case for 3-5-2 though? 

Would make no sense to change the system that’s got us 3 wins and clean sheets on the spin. If that means Stephens on the bench as the THB/Bednarek partnership is too good to break, that’s what he should be doing. Round pegs in round holes as much as possible please RM

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cabrone said:

Got a feeling this is going to be one of those hard fought wins where we just get it over the line. Plymouth will park the bus Infront of a brick wall, we may have to be patient.

I also think QPR can get a point from Ipswich and we go into 2024 just 3 points behind them.

Be good also is WBA can beat Leeds.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Plymouth - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-1 Plymouth - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic