Saints 5-0 Swansea - Match Thread

southbourne saint

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Great to see our domination now being converted into convincing wins. Keep this up and there's every chance we could grasp an auto-promotion slot, something that seemed unrealistic only a few weeks ago.  COYR!

Good job  that Martin instructed the team to score goals this week rather than to just keep possession, otherwise we might not have scored so many goals. 

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

But can you drop Edozie with the way he's playing?!?

Don't think you can, or should start Fraser ahead of Edozie.   Both are playing their roles perfectly, and Fraser just seems perfect for a second half impact, two clinically taken goals today.  Best performance of the season surely, and a pat on the back for Martin - his 4-3-3 set up worked well; his second half subs were spot on, and he managed to rest Downes and Armstrong for the games ahead.     Difficult man-of-the-match but I thought Airibo shaded Edozie for it.   He's such a gifted, strong player at this level (Airibo) and in playing him in the AM role and Stephens at right back, it freed up Downes to hold on his own and KWP to play the wing back role with complete freedom.      Even the question mark over Manning's inclusion was lifted today - he tightened up after the early Swansea incursions, and provided quality crosses and passing.   So many good players today - and the luxury of taking off two of the best on the hour mark.    Though they had little to do, Bednarek, THB and Stephens were all excellent, ad Bazunu continues to look comfortable and confident in goal.      Go Leicester!

• Like 3

Amazing performance considering the manager was trying to be "too clever" by "shoehorning" a player into the team and changing formation for no reason.

Turns out everyone was wrong because we didn't change formation and Russell Martin knows what he's doing.

Up the fucking Saints.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Yeah, alright, Martins turned us around. 

It did coincide with us getting the ball forward quicker though so those of us that criticised the pedestrian passing were right to do so. And i'm still not convinced we will have players of sufficient quality to keep us up playing this way should we get promoted, Premier League teams can press for the full 90+ and don't tire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Don't think you can, or should start Fraser ahead of Edozie.   Both are playing their roles perfectly, and Fraser just seems perfect for a second half impact, two clinically taken goals today.  Best performance of the season surely, and a pat on the back for Martin - his 4-3-3 set up worked well; his second half subs were spot on, and he managed to rest Downes and Armstrong for the games ahead.     Difficult man-of-the-match but I thought Airibo shaded Edozie for it.   He's such a gifted, strong player at this level (Airibo) and in playing him in the AM role and Stephens at right back, it freed up Downes to hold on his own and KWP to play the wing back role with complete freedom.      Even the question mark over Manning's inclusion was lifted today - he tightened up after the early Swansea incursions, and provided quality crosses and passing.   So many good players today - and the luxury of taking off two of the best on the hour mark.    Though they had little to do, Bednarek, THB and Stephens were all excellent, ad Bazunu continues to look comfortable and confident in goal.      Go Leicester!

Agree, Aribo was man-of-the-match today for me. Swansea couldn't handle his strength, skill and clever play.

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Amazing performance considering the manager was trying to be "too clever" by "shoehorning" a player into the team and changing formation for no reason.

Turns out everyone was wrong because we didn't change formation and Russell Martin knows what he's doing.

Up the fucking Saints.

I’m quaffing humble pie as I type!!

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It did coincide with us getting the ball forward quicker though so those of us that criticised the pedestrian passing were right to do so. And i'm still not convinced we will have players of sufficient quality to keep us up playing this way should we get promoted, Premier League teams can press for the full 90+ and don't tire.

We're getting the ball forward quicker because the players are now in the right positions when we attack due to them being coached by the manager over a period of time to do exactly that.

Previously we were having to stop, turn round and keep possession because they weren't always making the correct movements.

He said it would take time yet people were still criticising him about the style even when we were on a long unbeaten run. 

If you watch the whole pitch from the stands rather than on TV you can see so much more going on in terms of tactics, runs, movement off the ball. 

The way I see it is the difference now is the players are executing what the coaches want more frequently which is creating more chances.

I don't for one minute think that he ever wants us to pass it around the back for no reason like people make out.

• Like 21

Sort of result we have waited a long time for. Haven't seen any of the game but can only think that we were very good. Got to keep the momentum going to slowly chip away at the top two, do that and who knows where we may finish. I may yet become a Russell Martin concert.

Edited by Micky

Watched on SwansTV on the Swans’ app.  Excellent stuff and a very fair commentary (from Lee Trundle at al); very complimentary about our performance and took the trouncing well.  Funniest part was when they said how versatile Joe Allen was - fouls with one foot and then the other.

A real team performance.  No one played badly.  Standouts for me were Aribo, Edozie and Fraser.  The Pilgrims must be fearing the worst for Friday.

Onwards and upwards

Happy and Saintglorious.

👏 👍

• Like 1

Unbeaten in 16, 22 games left and 4 points behind the Tractor boys.

We are now breathing down their necks and look to be getting stronger and stronger.

Now we will see what they are made of in the 2nd half of the season. This is shaping up to be a hell of a fight for that auto spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

That’s part of the whole process though. Saying you want to play it around neatly, be calm and composed in possession when defending AND play fast paced, direct attacking incisive football is like saying you want a 6ft, blonde, supermodel wife with size G knockers, who likes beer and fast cars. You’re basically asking for the same perfect football every other fan wants and to get anywhere near that from the absolute garbage we were playing six months ago was always a tall order.

I’m not trying to say I always knew it would work out or even that I’ve always believed in RM, just that whatever happened was going to take time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Saintsfan CAM's dad is smiling somewhere at this one.

Thanks for the mention - he really must be bless him. That was as complete a game of football as I’ve seen from Saints since the Koeman days. Thoroughly enjoyable and spent watching with my Son and Grandson (20 months old) too.

Thank you Saints for two uplifting wins and what’s more, thank you to everyone on here that sent their best wishes on my Dads passing…it meant a great deal.

• Like 41

Swansea paid the price for taking us on. Their collective ego was never going to allow them to sit back. Although with Saints's current form I'm not sure it would make a difference.

Saints just wore them down and pushed them back. RM brought on four subs, probably guaranteed starters in the Swansea team. That must just drain the energy from the opposition, and it definitely showed today.

Saints are probably sailing very close to the FFP rules, but it is allowing them to dominate games.

Bringing on an established Premier league player to replace an England U21 winger is showing some financial muscle.

But who cares 😀 5 0 bloody fantastic really enjoyed that. What a different feeling to last year. Love this league.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

If you watch the whole pitch from the stands rather than on TV you can see so much more going on in terms of tactics, runs, movement off the ball.

Oh this with big knobbly knobs on.

On holiday so had to watch on my laptop. Very frustrating as it feels like you are only watching half the game.

What a game to miss!

31 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Imagine being the opposition RB. You've just had Edozie tear you a new one for an hour. You look up and see his number on the subs board and think 'thank fuck for that', and then you see who's replacing him.......

So true :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Was that the usual commentator on Saints player? Seemed like he'd been at the sherry with his comments on goals one and three. Clockwork mouse wtf

I think he said the clockwork mouse thing twice ? I wouldn’t be calling him that unless I was very sure of myself. !! defenders must dread facing him.

Anyway, terrific performance , good to see us do what we know the squad is capable of. Other champ sides can only dream of having the likes of Che, RF and Charly on the bench, so we need to make hay.

Mental strength  is going to be key. I think RMs pretty tough start to life here will stand us in good stead.

Edited by teamsaint
  • Like 1

Just now, teamsaint said:

I think he said the clockwork mouse thing twice ? I wouldn’t be calling him that unless I was very sure of myself.😀

Anyway, terrific performance , good to see us do what we know the squad is capable of. Other champ sides can only dream of having the likes of Che, RF and Charly on the bench, so we need to make hay.

Mental strength  is going to be key. I think RMs pretty tough start to life here will stand us in good stead.

For the opener he also went 'ARRIBA, ARRIBA, ARIBO!' :lol:

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, CSA96 said:

For the opener he also went 'ARRIBA, ARRIBA, ARIBO!' :lol:

I managed to miss that ( not being at the game today) due to a mislaid ( but now discovered ) phone.

Most try to see the goal. JA is looking the business at last. Does demonstrate how being in a poor side ( and maybe out of position) can make a decent player look substandard.

In the side ahead of Charly is quite a compliment about how well he is doing.

After a couple of early chances to Swansea that was about as one sided as it gets, everyone did their job with intensity up to the final whistle. 10-0 aggregate over the last ten days and 9 points. Lovely.

Edozie absolutely tore their right back apart and his final ball is getting better. 

• Like 1

Maybe we’re finally getting the hang of this Russball thing at long last. We’ve had a couple of games now where we’ve been energetic, incisive and the players seem to have a plan. If we can keep putting these types of performances in, what’s not to love?! 

#We march on ..with cautious optimism!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

I managed to miss that ( not being at the game today) due to a mislaid ( but now discovered ) phone.

Most try to see the goal. JA is looking the business at last. Does demonstrate how being in a poor side ( and maybe out of position) can make a decent player look substandard.

In the side ahead of Charly is quite a compliment about how well he is doing.

Martin made some nice comments about Aribo in the post match interview on Solent. Said that he missed a lot of pre season and then had an injury and had to work hard to get in the team. Worth a listen when they put it up.

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Martin made some nice comments about Aribo in the post match interview on Solent. Said that he missed a lot of pre season and then had an injury and had to work hard to get in the team. Worth a listen when they put it up.

Also revealed that he told the squad and staff he’d decided they could all have Christmas off after the run of form, but that he was trusting them not to totally slack off when it came to today’s game. Fair play

They’re now in at Staplewood every day between now and NYD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dig Dig said:

Good job  that Martin instructed the team to score goals this week rather than to just keep possession, otherwise we might not have scored so many goals. 

What so RM says get to team possession stats but don’t try to score once we have all that possession?  Do you honestly Bellieve that? 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

16 unbeaten!  Thoughts and prayers for the “possession football will get you nowhere” gang!

We have just hit the magical two points per game level.  Forget the league table and what happens tonight, history says 92 points will be top two.  We just need to focus on us.

• Like 4