Saints 3-0 Watford - Match Thread

goodymatt

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It happens.

I remember a game at SMS against Fulham in the early 00s where we went 2-0 down and came back to win 4-2 with a hattrick from BT, despite him playing utter dogshit that day. 

And how many times did MLT jog around the pitch for 90 mins doing absolutely fuck all except score a wonder goal (or two, or three).

Agree. Like the rest of the squad, Mara's being asked to fill a number of roles. He's clearly stronger centrally, and with a certain type of support, than he is out wide. Hopefully he'll develop his all round game, but also that the coaches realise what they get by playing to his strengths when needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It happens.

I remember a game at SMS against Fulham in the early 00s where we went 2-0 down and came back to win 4-2 with a hattrick from BT, despite him playing utter dogshit that day. 

And how many times did MLT jog around the pitch for 90 mins doing absolutely fuck all except score a wonder goal (or two, or three).

Most players have to have good movement and get into danger areas. For MLT the danger area was whatever he happened to chose to stand :D 

• Like 5

I think it was a shrewd decision to start Downes and Smallbone in midfield as they act as our engine room. Ok, maybe some would call it a risk but it paid off with a comfortable win tonight while Leeds toil for an extra 30 minutes.

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 Watford - Match Thread

We totally dominated tonight and a brilliant second half performance 😊 pleased for Mara to bag another two and Che getting on the scoresheet too. All three goals were clinically despatched. Mara's second in particular was a sumptuous strike 😊 into the next round - COYR 😊

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

Good performance second half although Adams should have put us one up in first half.

How some could say Shea was bad baffles me he hardly put a foot wrong in unfamiliar position. Won challenges never gave winger room and broke forward using it well.

Rothwell also looked decent drove forward well and played well with Flyn promising for future now getting to grips with playing and role.

Mara first half was poor but he went into middle for his first goal looks better there but his second was great strike from wide again.

Defence was excellent especially Meghoma who looks good prospect. Jan was great again. 
Watford really only had one deflected shot hit bar can’t remember Lumley making save .

The 2 SAMs should have scored both hitting post and 5 wouldn’t have been far wrong

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Sekou mara player of the match yet he’s not played great imo. But scored twice. I’m so confused. 

He wasn’t great first half because yet again he was asked to play left wing, he isn’t a winger, we know this ….

Second half he was much more central and looked a different proposition altogether. No doubt he will be tried yet again on the left wing very soon though…. 🤷‍♂️

Fantastic second goal from Mara have to say …

• Like 2

My son and I waited down the front at the end in the pissing rain with our little home made sign, but Brooks refused to give us his suit jacket.

He's clearly some sort of prima donna who thinks he's too good for the cup. 😡

Edited by rallyboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

The second Mara goal actually started with Lumley playing wall passes with his defenders on the rh side of the penalty areathree times under tight pressing by Watford - before a pass was made that you see from the tv clips set Dibling off on a strong run. Really spectacular PB goal. Best example I’ve ever seen live from saints - literally Lumley touched the ball three times in the build up of maybe ten eleven Total passes before the goal. Watford just chasing shadows . He should get the assist. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, captainchris said:

He wasn’t great first half because yet again he was asked to play left wing, he isn’t a winger, we know this ….

Second half he was much more central and looked a different proposition altogether. No doubt he will be tried yet again on the left wing very soon though…. 🤷‍♂️

Fantastic second goal from Mara have to say …

Yep, he's a striker that plays his best when allowed to run off the shoulder of the last man or get across his marker for low crosses into the box. There is a quality player in there, possibly in need of a slight attitude adjustment, but i'm very glad we're giving him game time. 

Reminder once again that he is currently a year younger than Sadio Mane when he signed for us, for people trying to gauge his progression. He has another two years to go before he's at the same age where Mane started performing at top level for us. 

Not for one second saying he will hit those heights but it's all about perspective. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, he's a striker that plays his best when allowed to run off the shoulder of the last man or get across his marker for low crosses into the box. There is a quality player in there, possibly in need of a slight attitude adjustment, but i'm very glad we're giving him game time. 

Totally agree- he is best as a central striker or what used to be called a inside forward. This hanging out wide on the left did not really do it for me - or him first half and it’s obvious he was just filling in for Ryan, and yet again played in a position of convenience to the team but not to his strengths.  I’m still a big fan but it’s worrying he gets played in wrong position as he did not look so happy at half-time. Hopefully the goals give him that extra bit of confidence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Sekou mara player of the match yet he’s not played great imo. But scored twice. I’m so confused. 

Playing him on the left wing was sheer stupidity. He's a striker as he amply demonstrated tonight and far better than Adams. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, saintant said:

I think it was a shrewd decision to start Downes and Smallbone in midfield as they act as our engine room. Ok, maybe some would call it a risk but it paid off with a comfortable win tonight while Leeds toil for an extra 30 minutes.

Yes but they still won comfortably.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Yup it was obvious RM was not happy at HT - we were sloppy all around. 

Good to see that he has built a supportive environment, but that everyone knows that their development will need some harder lessons. Also that Martin backs up what he's saying with footage. No half time rant over nothing.

It will remind everyone what's expected coming into the side. A side that had youth looking to impress, but still with lots to learn and others, like Mara, not initially playing in the role they'd like. Challenges there for the team, which they've pulled together and got past.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Good to see that he has built a supportive environment, but that everyone knows that their development will need some harder lessons. Also that Martin backs up what he's saying with footage. No half time rant over nothing.

It will remind everyone what's expected coming into the side. A side that had youth looking to impress, but still with lots to learn and others, like Mara, not initially playing in the role they'd like. Challenges there for the team, which they've pulled together and got past.

Agree-after such a great run it would be easy for RM to take the soft option and duck out of handing out home truths. Glad that he's continually demanding there is no drop off in the high standards he sets and will call it out whenever he feels things are wrong. Keeps everyone on their toes and fully committed. 

• Like 4

Lovely motorway drive home in the pissing rain but happy for all that. All the youngsters had good games. Dibling is already fun to watch and has already progressed in the 3? games he's played, Meghoma showed both strength and pace and got forward well, SAA had a good cameo and hit the post and Cameron Bragg came in for Smallbone and fitted in seamlessly. We could have scored more but the control in the second half was total.

If there are any tickets available for Saturday's game snap 'em up!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Agree-after such a great run it would be easy for RM to take the soft option and duck out of handing out home truths. Glad that he's continually demanding there is no drop off in the high standards he sets and will call it out whenever he feels things are wrong. Keeps everyone on their toes and fully committed. 

He was fuming with Adams and Mara shortly before half time as they were both being lazy.

Both of them came out like different players in the second half so yeah you've got to hand it to Russell and his man management. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

He was fuming with Adams and Mara shortly before half time as they were both being lazy.

Both of them came out like different players in the second half so yeah you've got to hand it to Russell and his man management. 

Makes sense as those two were below average first half but different players second half. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Love that from Russell.

What I like about it most is that it actually worked. I love having a manager who knows what to say to the players to get a response from them. They're clearly on board with him to give that kind of performance after getting a bollocking rather than just saying "forget this" which players might do for a less respected manager.

• Like 3

It was another incredibly comfortable win, we didn't really break sweat. We were just too good.

I was quite critical of Dibling in the game at their place, I felt he stood still too much and wasn't creating the movement to get into the game - but today he was bang on, exactly what he needs to do. Always on the move, always in space, driving with the ball - he was a class above, played years above his age and that's what I wanted to see from him last weekend. Such a top talent.

Rothwell really, really impressive for me as well. Drove forward with the ball, created quite a few openings. Mara deserved the goals tonight, from the off he was on it - but as soon as he got the goal, his level just went up a notch. Really, really good display from him.

And we keep going....we're pretty relentless it has to be said.

• Like 13

I enjoyed that, first half was a bit pedestrian but Saints were totally dominant. It felt like it would click eventually and so it did. Well done to RM that's what he's paid for.

I suspect a lot of us wanted to see how the youngsters fitted in and we weren't disappointed. Meghoma looked like he'd played left back all season, great prospect.Charles on the other side looked very solid.

Dibling started nervously but he really put a shift in 2nd half. He has a bit of Jack Grealish about the way he plays. Languid style and hard to shake of the ball. Good to see.

Great goals from Mara, nice assists from Adams. In the end a good win in tough conditions.

• Like 2

I didn't think we played badly in the first half, and really should have been 1-0 up with Che again missing a sitter. So it's good to hear RM being so demanding and setting high standards.

Really pleased for Mara getting two good goals, the second of which was brilliant from start to finish. I would honestly prefer to see him given a run of games through the middle ahead of Adams. Feels harsh for him to be benched again at the weekend while Che will probably start.

Dibling and Meghoma both hugely impressive for their age. As said above Dibling really does remind you of Jack Grealish. An excellent run for the second goal and was a threat throughout. 

Another very comfortable win. Will be interesting to see how we cope against Liverpool, just hope we don't get battered and damage confidence.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Those last 2 misses, Hopefully SAA doesnt dwell on it to much.

They were actually well taken shots... Another inch to the right and we'd be talking about two sublime goals... Fine margins... If they had been completely flunked efforts then it might have affected their confidence but I'd actually say the opposite for these two attempts... They got themselves in great positions and had  positive, composed shots on goal. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 9

I thought Smallbone was very good again last night. He was good against Rotherham too he does a lot of linking it like Steve Davis and Nick Holmes used to.

The midfield of Rothwell, Flyn and Smallbone really worked. Rothwell drove forward committing players , Flyn is quality in this league.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 7

The second half was a real treat, and I feel sorry for those that missed it. I haven't seen such prodigious young talent since the days of Tiss, Shearer, the Wallace  brothers, Dodd and Benali. Russell Martin is sitting on a gold mine.

Oh and that team beat Liverpool 4-1

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rallyboy said:

My son and I waited down the front at the end in the pissing rain with our little home made sign, but Brooks refused to give us his suit jacket.

He's clearly some sort of prima donna who thinks he's too good for the cup. 😡

Perhaps he wanted to keep his jacket. Why would you get angry about this? You’re not entitled to it. Say I made a sign outside your house asking for your clothes. Would you be a diva for telling me to piss off and get my own clobber? Entitled fan behaviour sucks. 

• Haha 8

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It was another incredibly comfortable win, we didn't really break sweat. We were just too good.

I was quite critical of Dibling in the game at their place, I felt he stood still too much and wasn't creating the movement to get into the game - but today he was bang on, exactly what he needs to do. Always on the move, always in space, driving with the ball - he was a class above, played years above his age and that's what I wanted to see from him last weekend. Such a top talent.

Rothwell really, really impressive for me as well. Drove forward with the ball, created quite a few openings. Mara deserved the goals tonight, from the off he was on it - but as soon as he got the goal, his level just went up a notch. Really, really good display from him.

And we keep going....we're pretty relentless it has to be said.

You're right and to be fair to Martin completely justifies the line up and changes, can see those players settling into it having had more minutes, did them good and I'm sure several will be needed with the run of games we have coming up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Perhaps he wanted to keep his jacket. Why would you get angry about this? You’re not entitled to it. Say I made a sign outside your house asking for your clothes. Would you be a diva for telling me to piss off and get my own clobber? Entitled fan behaviour sucks. 

So that's you outside my house!

I wondered what was going on.

I'll look you out some clothes, what size are you, looks like XXXL from here but it might be that Yogi Bear costume making you look bigger.

Leave that Martin Out placard by the gatehouse and walk up the drive, I'll get one of the staff to let you in.

• Haha 1

Two questions having only seen the short highlights:

1) who made the driving run forward with the ball to create Mara's second goal? Was it Rothwell like the first goal?

2) were Watford actually pretty awful, and did they make changes to their usual side? The defending seemed non existent towards the end

9 hours ago, CSA96 said:

3 mins of highlights here

Everyone was raving about the assist from Che for Mara's first goal - it looks to me like he was actually trying to lay it back to Rothwell for a 1-2 and cocked it up, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, that miss from him in the first half is absolutely unforgiveable. You simply have to score from there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, captainchris said:

Two people who should be nowhere near this pitch…

The ref …..

Jack Rothwell ….. Been watching him … Aweful… Just stands around marked 

According to Adam and Jo, he had a good game......certainly up to the point where he was taken out by a Hornet.

• Like 1