Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

And just as consistent as the forum perennial fence sitter.

House!

p.s. apologies for my open-mindedness. I appreciate its not really a good fit for this forum ;)

Edited by trousers

11 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

Games are coming thick and fast, feel like the scheduling will be at least partly to blame for when we fuck this up

That’ll be another nice one excuse We can use 

11 hours ago, Obstacle1 said:

Games are coming thick and fast, feel like the scheduling will be at least partly to blame for when we fuck this up

I don’t remember which manager it was who said it, but I recall one saying that regular games and fixture pile up aren’t a problem when you’re winning as players can’t wait to get back on the pitch. 

Different story when you’re not winning. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don’t remember which manager it was who said it, but I recall one saying that regular games and fixture pile up aren’t a problem when you’re winning as players can’t wait to get back on the pitch. 

Different story when you’re not winning. 

You'd hope we'd be building some momentum now. Will need to rotate the squad a bit, and trust the players brought in. 🤞

Has Bazunu ever put in a MoM performance for us? One of these next few games might be a good time to start...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Perhaps there's a logical case for playing Lumley in these remaining games, which avoids the need to drop Bazunu on form alone....

Lumley was Martin's preferred goalkeeper for our cup games. One assumes Martin picked Lumley because he thought he was the best keeper for those type of games....

Given we're now effectively in a "must win" 5 game knock out tournament, wouldn't playing our "best cup goalkeeper" be a logical choice for the remaining games...? 

#logical

(If you're looking in Russ, you can thank me later for this pearl of wisdom ;) )

Indeed.

Lumley actually made a few decent saves against Liverpool. Saves that I'm not convinced Bazunu would have made. Don't get me wrong, he isn't a great keeper by any means but he's good with his feet and is better at shot stopping. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I wonder what position Stephen’s will be shoe-horned into….

Roaming inverted midfield playmaker centre back number 10

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, beavis17 said:

Interesting comments from Lowe after the game yesterday. Almost suggests their season is over. IMG_5615.thumb.jpeg.7f1d599a08e34486a36514f52f51311b.jpeg

Yeah I'd say it's done and dusted for all the chasers for the Top 6. PNE in particular are 9 points behind (inc. GD) with just 12 to play for and have to overhaul 4 above them, they're done.

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah I'd say it's done and dusted for all the chasers for the Top 6. PNE in particular are 9 points behind (inc. GD) with just 12 to play for and have to overhaul 4 above them, they're done.

I think it's normal to think that playing teams who are "on the beach" is supposed to be easier. But Watford played the last hour yesterday like their lives depended on it...

• Like 1

Just now, SaintBobby said:

I think it's normal to think that playing teams who are "on the beach" is supposed to be easier. But Watford played the last hour yesterday like their lives depended on it...

I don't think there are any easy games in this league at this stage tbh. (apart from Rotherham). 

Blackburn, Milwall and Watford have shown that - two fighting, 1 in the middle of nowhere. In the weird world of this league the table has flipped, as you've got the top 4 struggling like hell with the pressure and the bottom teams thriving in the pressure.

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

You'd hope we'd be building some momentum now. Will need to rotate the squad a bit, and trust the players brought in. 🤞

Has Bazunu ever put in a MoM performance for us? One of these next few games might be a good time to start...

I’d rather the ball never went anywhere near him. That would be the mark of a good defence. And I include the ridiculous back passing in that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Aye. Saints are one of the only teams I've seen that do "on the beach" properly... We've been very good at it in recent times.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Let's hope another warehouse doesn't catch alight and burn down on Tuesday. 

Also, why aren't the Saints band not marching in anymore?  Is it because "When the Saints stand still" is more in keeping with our playing style these days?

Nostalgic reunion for my Avatar.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

6 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’d rather the ball never went anywhere near him. That would be the mark of a good defence. And I include the ridiculous back passing in that.

Have you ever watched a game of football where one keeper didn't touch the ball for the whole game?

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Have you ever watched a game of football where one keeper didn't touch the ball for the whole game?

I’m sure there must have been some but I can’t name any at the moment.

From the defensive point of view that would be the ideal.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

1 hour ago, Andrew Watson said:

Watford had nothing to play for and were very unlucky to get nothing from yesterdays game, if we cannot put games to bed it does not augur well for the last 5 games and the play offs.

I would use PNE game and rest to come up with a different style of play. The passing sideways and in particular across our own goal is going to lose us the play offs. And a very slow tempo will see us out played and easy to counter. Saints 1-1 PNE. I'm still astounded as to how we have won so many games. 

• Like 2

Who would have thought that we’d actually still have something to play for at this point? Massive game tomorrow night.

Hopefully Saturday’s defeat will have taken the edge off of PNE’s determination. 

• Like 1

Got a ticket for this one - didn’t expect it to have the level of significance it has to be fair. It’s going to be a difficult one again without a doubt, so let’s hope RM finally learns how to read the game and flex the team shape in midfield if we go two up. I’d stick with Brookes and start Fraser over Stu perhaps, but we’ll need Adams up top. It’s not going to happen, but I’d drop Stephens or Bednarek rather than play the two of them…two proper full backs please and preferably KWP / Bree in their usual positions.

2-0 hopefully, but think 2-2 more likely.

7 hours ago, die Mannyschaft said:

I would use PNE game and rest to come up with a different style of play. The passing sideways and in particular across our own goal is going to lose us the play offs. And a very slow tempo will see us out played and easy to counter. Saints 1-1 PNE. I'm still astounded as to how we have won so many games. 

I know we model ourselves on City, but even they will hoof it out of defence when the need arises, I felt we were playing Russian roulette across the back at times on Saturday 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I know we model ourselves on City, but even they will hoof it out of defence when the need arises, I felt we were playing Russian roulette across the back at times on Saturday 

I’d say that has been a feature of the entire 23/24 season 😬

• Like 4

13 hours ago, die Mannyschaft said:

I think the passing around the back thing is fine until we are winning towards the end of the game and then it just causes too many problems. As the opposition commit more and more players forward it just makes it more and more of a gamble. We just need to recognise when it is becoming too dangerous and mix it up. The frustrating thing is in Adams we have a striker who is good at holding it up and it's not something we utilise.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Relax, this not just any Russian roulette, this is SFC Russ's Russian roulette - high risk for high rewards (supposedly)!

• Like 1

Whether Preston have anything to play for or not wont matter, at some point in the game we will, as we have done with every other team in the league this year, give them more than enough encouragement to have a go at us when we slump back into that passive pansy sideways and back passing on the half way line. Do that if you get 3 or 4 up, not on 1 or 2-0 !! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Micky said:

Relax, this not just any Russian roulette, this is SFC Russ's Russian roulette - high risk for high rewards (supposedly)!

I just thought risk was taken to a new level on Saturday and we were lucky to escape on a couple of occasions 

• Like 2

Would definitely bring Manning back in and personally think this game requires use of Bree as a front sweeper to cover the whole width of the pitch.

Bazunu

KWP--THB--Bednarek--Manning

<<<<<<<Bree>>>>>>>>>>>>

---Downes------Smallbone---

Arma---------Che-------Edozie

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Whether Preston have anything to play for or not wont matter, at some point in the game we will, as we have done with every other team in the league this year, give them more than enough encouragement to have a go at us when we slump back into that passive pansy sideways and back passing on the half way line. Do that if you get 3 or 4 up, not on 1 or 2-0 !! 

Not merely the half-way line.  It is even worse further back towards our goal.  Better not to do it at all (ie regardless of the score) unless you want to take the piss out of the opposition in the dying embers of the game; and I do not especially like to see anyone do that.  Or, for that matter, take the ball into the corner and try to stay there.  Far better to pass around the team (minus goalkeeper) with purpose and keep the opposition pinned back in defence of their goal.

Anyway, as for the Preston game, we should be positive from the beginning and try to improve our goal difference.  It might just make a difference.  And it would be good to win comfortably for once this year.

Bednarek to start and Charles on the bench, along with Brooks and Rothwell.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Not merely the half-way line.  It is even worse further back towards our goal.  Better not to do it at all (ie regardless of the score) unless you want to take the piss out of the opposition in the dying embers of the game; and I do not especially like to see anyone do that.  Or, for that matter, take the ball into the corner and try to stay there.  Far better to pass around the team (minus goalkeeper) with purpose and keep the opposition pinned back in defence of their goal.

Anyway, as for the Preston game, we should be positive from the beginning and try to improve our goal difference.  It might just make a difference.  And it would be good to win comfortably for once this year.

Bednarek to start and Charles on the bench, along with Brooks and Rothwell.

5-0 against Swansea

4-0 against Blackburn and Sheff Weds

Were those not comfortable enough for you?

1 hour ago, Micky said:

It feel like you missed a trick by not calling it `Russell roulette'?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Bazunu

KWP - Bednarek - THB - Manning

Stu - Downes - Rothwell

Arma - Che - Edozie

Unlucky for Bree to miss out as I don’t think he’s done much wrong, but a bit of rotation surely required at this point. Aribo and Smallbone looked dead on their feet on Saturday so may be a chance for Rothwell, even though he’s never impressed me from the start. Could be any of Edozie, Sulemana or Fraser, but I’d lean Edozie as he’s completely fresh, had more output then Sulemana and didn’t give the lino the opportunity to flag offside like Ryan did on Sat

54 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Lumley

Bree, Bednarek, Bellis, KWP

Downes, Aribo, Stu/Smallbone

Brooks, Adams, Frazer

Zero chance that Bazunu and Stephens will be dropped though.

If you think Lumley will do any better with the hospital passes and sloppy possession we were playing in front of our own box for an hour against Watford, I fear you may be mistaken. If we tried what a few people have suggested I’m pretty sure we’d just end up like the back end of last season, when McC let in 17 in 6 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

It feel like you missed a trick by not calling it `Russell roulette'?

FFS. Now all the SFs will move on to “RussRoulette” from the equally idiotic RussBall. Each time I read Russ Roulette on here I shall virtually slap you, Chez. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you think Lumley will do any better with the hospital passes and sloppy possession we were playing in front of our own box for an hour against Watford, I fear you may be mistaken. If we tried what a few people have suggested I’m pretty sure we’d just end up like the back end of last season, when McC let in 17 in 6 games.

It's not about the tippy tappy sloppy passes ffs it's about making saves , something Baz seems incapable off 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic