Leicester to be deducted points?

It's all a bit of a mess isn't it. 

Want too long ago that Leicester were taking about suing Everton over the same thing. 

What happens if Leicester don't get promoted, is it just forgotten about? 

• Like 1

They'll start the season on minus points, nothing to see here really. 

All of this points deduction shit is getting on my tits though when you have the likes of Man City under investigation for over 100 more breaches, yet they're still swimming their way to another treble.

FA/EPL need to grow a pair of bollocks quickly, putting 'smaller' clubs to the sword is such a pathetic way of proving FFP or whatever they call it. I look forward to Chelsea's million point deduction next year.

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, It's There said:

Except the EFL are also investigating Leicester. Now Saints have a vested interest…

Yeah looks like it

A second financial probe

Leicester are now involved in dealing with two financial investigations, with the club the subject of an ongoing English Football League inquiry into a possible breach of PSR rules relating to the ongoing season.

The club were forecast to breach loss limits for the ongoing three-year term.

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They'll start the season on minus points, nothing to see here really. 

All of this points deduction shit is getting on my tits though when you have the likes of Man City under investigation for over 100 more breaches, yet they're still swimming their way to another treble.

FA/EPL need to grow a pair of bollocks quickly, putting 'smaller' clubs to the sword is such a pathetic way of proving FFP or whatever they call it. I look forward to Chelsea's million point deduction next year.

Yep also chelsea and man united able to be hundreds of millions in debt and spend hundreds of millions every year. None of them will ever get a points deduction 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep also chelsea and man united able to be hundreds of millions in debt and spend hundreds of millions every year. None of them will ever get a points deduction 

Exactly that, more so Chelsea - look at the spend they've had, they're not even in Europe nor will they be this year. How can they cover their losses? You'd think there will be a mega deduction coming their way, but you know there won't be.

It's this sort of shit which kind of makes me want a breakaway league - let those fuckers piss off and play with their fat cheque books, let the proper clubs go about it like we always used to.

• Like 3

The latest is as the transgressions happened in  the PL the punishment will happen in the PL this sounds nonsense. So in the unlikely event they don’t go up they won’t be punished.

Brilliant,  more points deductions for more teams. The whole football system is out if control with players fees and wages, managers fees etc etc. Clubs trying to buy the title at any cost, or even safety and promotion. If you buy £1billion of players and end up outside top 6 you should points deducted anyway!!

From a partisan point of view, sadly this won't help us. We aren't going to end up 3 points behind Leicester and suddenly hear they have a 4 point deduction and we are promoted/champions....tbh, even if we did, what a thoroughly crap way to get back up.

More generally, the financial fair play stuff is simply insane. It will get far worse when the football regulator gets brought in.

The easy solution is to simply demand clubs (or new buyers of clubs) keep money in an escrow account at a sufficient level to keep that club afloat. That should be a requirement for getting the "golden ticket". Then pretty much let clubs do whatever they want.

• Like 1

Haven’t they tried to gain an advantage by overspending, ok it didn’t work out for them last year, but they still have maintained an advantage in the championship this year with the calibre of players, so it seems unfair that they could return to the prem having used this advantage. Surely the correct thing would be to deduct them points now, so they don’t achieve this. It’s like Everton , 10 points reduced to 6, pathetic really, looks like they really do want that lovely new stadium being showcased in the prem.

Edited by Saint Marky

Finances in football are just nuts. When the Glazers bought Man Utd they simply shifted to cost as debt to the club and have done that every year with dividends. They're over a billion in debt. Abramovich wrote of something like £1.5 billion in debt to Chelsea when he sold.

The whole thing seems to be based upon the premise that they'll be able to pay it off later as TV revenues spiral upwards.

And that's before the "fair play" rules to prevent anyone but the top clubs spending money.

Never mind the points deduction. If you breach it should be down to League Two with you. No questions asked.

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Exactly that, more so Chelsea - look at the spend they've had, they're not even in Europe nor will they be this year. How can they cover their losses? You'd think there will be a mega deduction coming their way, but you know there won't be.

It's this sort of shit which kind of makes me want a breakaway league - let those fuckers piss off and play with their fat cheque books, let the proper clubs go about it like we always used to.

But Chelsea are in serious danger of breaching PSR and being hit with sanctions this summer.

there was an excellent guest with Simon Jordan last week (or the week before), who is an SME on this, and just shot down this type of argument (mainly posed by the likes of Henry winter)…. Basically, the general public do not really know the detail (at all) of what premier league clubs all agreed to sign up to. Those clubs are now receiving or facing sanctions from their own rules, so are changing the rules.

covid added significant levels of complexities with additional allowable adjustments.

Would love to go up automatically but it looks like the playoffs. If so we would be up against any one of Leeds, Ipswich and now possibly Leicester. Not sure which one I’d like to face at Wembley. 

10 minutes ago, BILLYDO said:

Would love to go up automatically but it looks like the playoffs. If so we would be up against any one of Leeds, Ipswich and now possibly Leicester. Not sure which one I’d like to face at Wembley. 

And I suspect fans of all three of those sides wouldn't like to face us either.

43 minutes ago, BILLYDO said:

Persoanlly I'd like to avoid Leeds to currently seem to be the complete package.

But the farce or 'lottery' of the playoffs is such that any one of those teams might slip up to WBA, Hull, Norwich or whoever in their SF.  Added to which we're not guaranteed to win our SF either. 

Perhaps the reason the PL don't go after the big clubs who have breached FFP rules is that those clubs have the money to employ top lawyers to mount a prolonged challenge in the courts of any ruling against them and the PL are scared of this. The small clubs don't have the financial means to fight civil court challenges in that way. 

Same in real life really, individuals seldom have the means to challenge in the civil courts whereas corporations do.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, BILLYDO said:

We would fucking smash them.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

We were shit but 3 teams above us cheated and we don't get the benefit, other teams do. Seems fair...

I get the sentiment but even if all three of those teams had their 6 points deductions last season we'd have still comfortably finished bottom.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Perhaps the reason the PL don't go after the big clubs who have breached FFP rules is that those clubs have the money to employ top lawyers to mount a prolonged challenge in the courts of any ruling against them and the PL are scared of this. The small clubs don't have the financial means to fight civil court challenges in that way. 

Same in real life really, individuals seldom have the means to challenge in the civil courts whereas corporations do.

Even the smallest Premier League club is an eight- or nine-figure company. I don't believe they can't afford lawyers.

13 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I get the sentiment but even if all three of those teams had their 6 points deductions last season we'd have still comfortably finished bottom.

If all three of those clubs were punished severely and in a timely manner (got relegated to the National League to start this season) we'd still be in the Premier League.

----------------

The proper solution to the whole mess is a salary cap. Either the PL+FA bring in a hard salary cap for the top four leagues and treat any breaches harshly, with clubs allowed to have players under contract but not in their PL squad; if a club wants to sign Ronaldo or Messi for megabucks to only use them in Europe and the cups, that's fine. A 45-year-old Ronaldo leading Man U against Eastleigh in the fourth round of the FA Cup would bring some hype to the competition. They could even have completely different league and non-league squads; that'd shut up some of the whinging about fixture congestion while still keeping English clubs competitive in Europe (the main argument against a PL salary cap being that PL clubs would be outspent by other big European clubs).

Or a soft salary cap and luxury tax like the NBA; for example clubs can spend £45m per year on player wages, and then for every £1 they spend over that they also pay £1 into a pool which is distributed at the end of the year between PL teams that didn't exceed the cap (50%), Championship teams (20%), League 1 & League 2 teams (10% each), and an FA Grassroots Fund for non-league and women's football (10%).

20 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Nottingham Forest spent £130m on players last summer.

To say they don't have the financial means to hire lawyers and fight a case is just silly. They're not some ramshackle local post office.

• Like 1

There’s rich and poor in every aspect of life and it’s relative wherever you look. Football should be no different, if you happen to have a sugar daddy then good luck to you, spend what you want. All this meddling, on top of VAR, is just destroying the game.

• Haha 1

There will always be richer clubs than other clubs whatever league you’re in. That’s not the issue here. It’s whether you ruin the COMPETITION by cheating rules or simply use your money to hoover up talent and plonk it on the bench so other teams don’t get a look in….thats the problem.  Leicester are as complicit as City or Chelsea and should face points deduction now for their past misdemeanour’s.

On 22/03/2024 at 08:37, BILLYDO said:

Would have to beat WBA or Hull (or Coventry or Norwich first).

Agree with the above Premier League is nothing but a circus 🎪 

Let's not dress it up it's corrupt... 

That's why I couldn't give a damm if we return and end up cannon fodder for the " big clubs " 

Forget Leicester and Everton... 

Throw the book at the Likes of Chelsea, Man City for a start.... Kick them out the league strip them of titles and make a statement! Or tell them to jog on and form another super league. 

I went off the premier league years ago. Even the commentators are biased towards the big clubs... it's never oh look at Saints fair play they are doing alright with the tools they have..... It's always Liverpool  *wank* signed some player for 80 million *wank* and they won a cup *wank* klopp turkey teeth this *wank" absolute biased trifle being spat about on a weekly basis..

I'm done with the Premier league 

Edited by ally_uk
Arse
  • Like 4

What is it about Leicester? A few years ago they avoided a meaningful 10 point deduction by announcing administration a few minutes before the season ended. Rules changed after that and as we know too well point deductions can now be carried over to the next season. 

Clearly Leicester don't need to follow the same rules as everyone else. 

• Like 2

On 22/03/2024 at 14:40, Saint_clark said:

No arguing that we were the shittest team in the league.  But the point raised is completely valid. 

If Leicester go up anyway, and get a points deduction next season, their cheating was totally worth it. 

It’s us and Leeds who have been shafted because we followed the rules. 

Plus, who knows, if we had cheated like they did, we could have signed or kept a couple of players that would have made a huge difference. In championship clubs are incentivised to break the rules and go all out to get promotion. 

• Like 5

On 23/03/2024 at 23:27, Osvaldorama said:

No arguing that we were the shittest team in the league.  But the point raised is completely valid. 

If Leicester go up anyway, and get a points deduction next season, their cheating was totally worth it. 

It’s us and Leeds who have been shafted because we followed the rules. 

Plus, who knows, if we had cheated like they did, we could have signed or kept a couple of players that would have made a huge difference. In championship clubs are incentivised to break the rules and go all out to get promotion. 

Exactly this. We have been fucked twice. This season and last!

Had we spent  the additional £50m on new players (including a striker ) in the summer we have done much better. We also would have had a stronger squad going down if we had been relegated. Either way we were cheated and as such 6 points is hardly an incentive not to cheat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Exactly this. We have been fucked twice. This season and last!

Had we spent  the additional £50m on new players (including a striker ) in the summer we have done much better. We also would have had a stronger squad going down if we had been relegated. Either way we were cheated and as such 6 points is hardly an incentive not to cheat

You can't blame Leicester because we're not good at spending money - how much was tall Paul?

On 23/03/2024 at 23:27, Osvaldorama said:

I understand they wanted to leave and we wouldn't stand in their way, but I do wonder how we would be doing if we had kept JWP and Tella. Given our September slump after their departures, it's not outrageous to say we would have taken a few more wins. 

ah well, our fate is still in our hands (to throw it all away in the next ten games)