Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread

goodymatt

4 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Wales boss Rob Page confirms that David Brooks was withdrawn due to illness.

"Brooksy has been ill since Thursday. He has not trained a minute."

We can probably count him out of the starting 11 on Friday then. Guessing it'll be Edozie or Sulemena to replace him given Fraser has only just started training again. 

30 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Everyone ready to start our run of 10wins and 2 draws that is going to carry us into the automatic spots?

That could be quite tricky given we've only got 10 games left.... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Wales boss Rob Page confirms that David Brooks was withdrawn due to illness.

"Brooksy has been ill since Thursday. He has not trained a minute."

A tad irresponsible playing him at all in that case. Would have been at greater risk of picking up a muscular / hamstring type injury with that amount of inactivity leading up to the game. I'm guessing Russ won't be best pleased he was risked like that. 

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

A tad irresponsible playing him at all in that case. Would have been at greater risk of picking up a muscular / hamstring type injury with that amount of inactivity leading up to the game. I'm guessing Russ won't be best pleased he was risked like that. 

Put yourself in the position of the Wales manager.

You're playing a game to decide whether you qualify for a major tournament and the game is locked at 0-0.

Your side looks unlikely to score against a team including the defensive titan Jan Bednarek while you have a player sat on the bench who is proven to be able to produce a little bit of magic.

Do you a) give it a try and hope he helps secure a place in the finals?

Or b) leave him on the bench because he might pick up a little knock that puts him out for a week or 2 when the team you manage doesn't have a game for a few months.

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

Look on the bright side, he'll have to start playing the lads who actually belong to us.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, The Cat said:

Put yourself in the position of the Wales manager.

You're playing a game to decide whether you qualify for a major tournament and the game is locked at 0-0.

Your side looks unlikely to score against a team including the defensive titan Jan Bednarek while you have a player sat on the bench who is proven to be able to produce a little bit of magic.

Do you a) give it a try and hope he helps secure a place in the finals?

Or b) leave him on the bench because he might pick up a little knock that puts him out for a week or 2 when the team you manage doesn't have a game for a few months.

Well, yes, if you're the Welsh manager then you go for (a), obviously... (That was kinda my point... i.e. that he put the interests of the Welsh team ahead of the welfare of the player...)

P.s. I wasn't talking about him "picking up a little knock" either... That can happen to any player, regardless of their match fitness levels. I was talking about the risk of playing a player who has had zero training for a week....

Anyway, all in the past... The future is bright... Hopefully! 

Edited by trousers

KWP and Fraser both confirmed as fit for the run in.

Brooks (illness) and Bednarek (took a kick and also had an illness) will be involved.

Stewart back on the grass training but not much is being expected of him.

Good news.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Brooks (illness) and Bednarek (took a kick and also had an illness) will be involved.

Good news.

Any clarification of what type of "grass" - maybe that would explain the low expectations?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Good news.

In a way the prolonged break we have had aided us in this sense. I'm intrigued to see how we are tomorrow, we often come off of long breaks very, very sluggish and slow. We can't afford that or it's curtains before the run in has even started.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Any clarification of what type of "glass" - maybe that would explain the low expectations?

There, corrected that for you. The Stadium of Light was built on the old glass works site, hardly a co-incidence you would have thought.

44 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In a way the prolonged break we have had aided us in this sense. I'm intrigued to see how we are tomorrow, we often come off of long breaks very, very sluggish and slow. We can't afford that or it's curtains before the run in has even started.

Yeah we don’t always look quite so good after a break. Some of that will be down to the opposition too though, they’ll also have had a break, maybe clear up some injuries but also a lot of time to specifically prepare for how we play. 

‘Boro probably won’t make playoffs but imagine they’ll see this as a game they need to get something out of. An early goal for us could deflate them.

54 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah we don’t always look quite so good after a break. Some of that will be down to the opposition too though, they’ll also have had a break, maybe clear up some injuries but also a lot of time to specifically prepare for how we play. 

‘Boro probably won’t make playoffs but imagine they’ll see this as a game they need to get something out of. An early goal for us could deflate them.

They're a funny side are Boro. Capable of beating anyone on their day, but can quite as easily lose to Rotherham or Huddersfield. They have never really been in a position to get to the playoffs.

They are what I fear we could be next year if we fail to make it this season. Boro were one of the leading sides last season, but were cherry picked in the summer and lost all their goals. (Archer/Akpom)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Good news.

tell us about it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Boro had 9 players on international duty so there is no logic that they can prepare better than us.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

So we don't make it to Wembley, then? 💔😭😢😭

I think the 10 wins and 2 draws are 8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games and two wins in the play-off. 

31 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

I think the 10 wins and 2 draws are 8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games and two wins in the play-off. 

It doesnt matter but the point is the play offs are three matches, if we don't play 13 matches we ain't going up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

But if we win two in the play-offs we will not get promoted because we will have lost in the final. 

Just now, VectisSaint said:

I wouldn't have replied if you hadn't said it - "but also a lot of time to specifically prepare for how we play" 

Sorry, I forget sometimes things that appear simple need to be explained a bit.  I was replying to a quote about playing after an international break - stands to reason that a team will have an improved chance against a better team if they have more preparation time.  Yes, we'll have had more time as well but Boro should give us a harder game than if we'd played them in the middle of a three game week. Hopefully that was clear enough - if not then I really can't help you.

12 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Good news.

Has Downes been sharing his chicken liver?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

If we were to win all 10 remaining matches* we'd finish in the top 2.

* We won't

'If', we could win our 8 remaining matches it's still out of our hands.

8 wins takes us to 103 points and c43 GD

Ipswich have 8 games, lose to us and they can only reach 102 points.

Leics have 9 games, lose to us and they can reach 106 points and c55 GD.

Leeds have 8 games, lose to us and they can reach 103 points and c55 GD.

None of Leeds/Leics/Ipswich play each other.

Basically we need snookers and then some, and to win eight strait including away games v all three teams around us. 

Hold our nerve and we can finish third, wobble and we could be fourth or even fifth. Automatics, for me, went with B City and Millwall. What wouldn't we give for another six points on that league table.

6 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

Basically we need snookers and then some, and to win eight strait including away games v all three teams around us. 

Hold our nerve and we can finish third, wobble and we could be fourth or even fifth. Automatics, for me, went with B City and Millwall. What wouldn't we give for another six points on that league table.

Don’t know if it’s just me but think we could be better off finishing 4th and Playing Wba rather then having the likes of Hull or in an inform Norwich 

9 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

You know we have 10 games left though, right?

Which means in this scenario we could end up with 109 points, not 103.

• Like 2

We usually come back from a lengthy break very sluggish and even piss poor. 
If we don’t get a favourable result ….i won’t bother watching the later kick offs for Ipswich and Leeds. 
it’ll be a total anti climax. 
Really hope we can keep the run in for the autos interesting,even though it’s a tough ask. 

After such a long break has Russball evolved on the training pitch?? Will we ever score from another free kick or, even more unlikely, a corner??

These and other questions may or may not be answered today. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Friday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic