Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

Lighthouse

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

There is not a best team as we have simply not won enough games, it is simple

It is fucking simple. There is a “best team” KWP is in it, Janny B & THB are centre halves in it & Fucking Jack Stephens doesn’t play his pound shop John Stones role. Adam Armstrong doesn’t play centre forward in it just because he pesters you to do so. Not only does it make AA less effective it also means you’re dropping a bloke who scored a couple lately.The fact you don’t know your best team in mid April is pretty damning imo. You should know your best 11 by now & then rotate around it dependant on who is available. 

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Adam Armstrong doesn’t play centre forward in it just because he pesters you to do so. Not only does it make AA less effective it also means you’re dropping a bloke who scored a couple lately.

Exactly. If things are that far gone that players pick their positions, something is very wrong.

I mean, if Baz were to ask to go up front instead of in goal, would...actually that's a bad example. 🙂

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

We really are up Schitt's Creek if we are still relying on Che Adams.

Well yeah but as bloody awful as he is as a centre forward he’s better there than Armstrong and Seku bloody Mara.

Thats the issue that should have been addressed in January.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Exactly. If things are that far gone that players pick their positions, something is very wrong.

I mean, if Baz were to ask to go up front instead of in goal, would...actually that's a bad example. 🙂

Hopefully Adam is asking Russell to play in goal next.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Thanks @AlexLaw76

This jumped out at me

• We just do not run enough, it is not tiredness and it is a problem if they do not want to do it

Really?

I don’t want to get up in the morning and go to work - but if I don’t we’re buggered in our house.

Maybe he’s losing the dressing room.

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

Hopefully the lock ness ghost will be fit and can come in for a fairytale Wembley winner. 

But if he isn’t, we have to play Che the majority of the time. As soon as he goes off we lack a focal point. Arma is not the answer as a 9 and he won’t ever be, no matter how many times .......

he asks 'Can I be number 9 sir? Please sir, please sir'.

'OK Armstrong, that's a good idea, let's see what you can do there'.

Spoiler alert, Sir has a very poor memory and doesn't realise that he's already seen Armstrong audition at CF numerous times and with little success.

• Like 1

We can't get top 2 with out teams above us losing enough games and that's not going to happen. A draw v Coventry will be ok as that's 2 points dropped for 7th team. Preston and Boro draw or lose and its then only s few more draws to clinch play offs. So I'm not expecting anything else apart from possession 93% and park the largest bus possible. Saints 0-0 Coventry. 

6 hours ago, die Mannyschaft said:

So I'm not expecting anything else apart from possession 93% and park the largest bus possible. Saints 0-0 Coventry. 

not exactly Real Madrid v. City or Arsenal v. Bayern Munich now is it? 😋

re: Tuesday evening match viewing options

Edited by SaintTex

From what he says RM is hearing the criticism and I assume that means reading it too, so I'm sure he takes everything on here into planning meetings. 😇

He's duty bound to defend his players so I don't get annoyed by that. I hope he is considering what helped us go on that run and seeing the things that have changed which have contributed to poorer form.

He may say 'we changed line ups and still won, so we should be able to do it now' but he needs to recognise what a positive change is versus disrupting changes. 

A big issue now will also be lower confidence levels since the magic of that run ended. Talking up the players is one tried and trusted way to help. 

I hope we get a reaction, and maybe the luck we may also need, tonight. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Pre match prezzer

My take, the players are maybe very deflated that autos are all but gone. Russell on the defensive, but suggested that if/when he leaves the club will continue to grow. Now is the time for a reset and get this right. some of the points raised makes you think he knows his job is under real threat if we do not get promoted.

• Stu Armstrong and Breezy back in the squad, this is a really good thing
  • 1 or 2 will be left out of the squad, which will be difficult
  • we have to get a reaction after Sat
  • The only thing I am happy about from Sat was the clean sheet, nothing else
  • I am not happy about anything else to be honest
  • When we were 25 unbeaten we made changes and it did not matter
  • now, we make changes, and people question it, probably because the results are not great
  • Now, we have to build momentum for the playoffs
  • 7 games to prepare and be ready to be part of the starting 11 for the playoffs
  • There is not a best team as we have simply not won enough games, it is simple
  • The players who are desperate to be in the team are the one who play
  • We should have beaten Boro 4 nil, no one complained about our play
  • We just do not run enough, it is not tiredness and it is a problem if they do not want to do it
  • The break was not all great, 1 week with the players due to internationals
  • How we only took 1 point from Boro and Ipswich is beyond me
  • Ipswich desperation to fight and defend each box was something else
  • we are not doing that, we need to get back to doing that
  • We have to convince the players to do it, that is our job
  • I do not care what people say about styles, it is about running hard, which we must get back to
  • The club we walked into is very different, the healing took time, the players are in a different place compared to the start of the season
  • If we do not go up, there will be questions, no one will question us, me, jack's role in the team if we go up
  • there will be changes over the next 4 weeks, it is about finding the best team for the playoffs
  • The relationship between the fans and the players is great, the players really need the fans now
  • the players are so brave, the bravest players I have worked with, but we have to match that with aggression and intensity
  • We have 4 weeks till the end of the season, 7 with the playoffs
  • We have to be at Wembley, I understand the frustration, but the end goal is still there
  • if I leave after, the club will continue the journey, and the foundations are really strong now compared to the start of the season
  • we have a massive opportunity to get this right, 3 home games to start the momentum for the playoffs
  • we are desperate to get to the premier league
  • I love Mark Robbins, they have grown that club. They stuck with them and it works
  • The players believe in them, the club believes in them, they recruit well
  • It will be a tough game, they have done a brilliant job again
  • This will be exciting, they need to know we are feeling hurt and they should be worried facing us
  • As a group we have been honest with the players in what has hurt us and what has been brilliant
  • we need to show real desire to run, we had 70% of the ball, but we need to be harder in the last moments
  • It is not quiet where it was, too many times we are taking the easy option to pass to feet instead of going behind
  • we are fighting for the players, showing them where they can do it, it is my fault if we do not do it
  • I have to prepare the players for the most realistic option, which is the playoffs
  • We will have to win 7 games, simple as that
  • The players need to want to be part of the team in the playoffs, it will be an amazing way to do it
  • we have to be ready, and that starts playing Coventry

I went out of my way to avoid listening to his infantile drivel and you have to spoil that by spelling it out on here ☹️ 😉

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I always wonder which source they actually hear the aforementioned criticism from.

I mean, we're a pretty average sized club, so it's not going to be national media.

That leaves either the fans at the games, the local press or this forum.

That brings me to a memory of a certain Welshman that we were pretty sure actually had an account on this forum 😂

Please don't be a nutter and read this forum, Russ.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Match day for you my friend

It's the final straight for you, and we hope the team will give it everything they've got, so don't think too much about winning as many games as possible.

We were on the final straight before Boro at home, but for some reason we've taken a detour via Timbuctoo.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, trousers said:

Where have you been since Ings left FF....?

Lurking while making the odd comment. Unfortunately my words are monitored so I have to be careful with my criticism these days! I was at Blackburn for the "Sam Gallagher" derby of course, watching and listening to the home fans and afterwards in the players lounge listening to the Blackburn players thoughts on our performance.

Suffice to say I think Russell has been rumbled.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I can't go tonight, but noticed it's on 'Sky Football', is that one of those channels that isn't covered on the Now TV day sports pass? I seem to remember falling for that scam before, anyone know? 

Hi. The red button games are definitely not on the day pass, only a monthly pass. Given as it's £11.99 for 24 hours now, if saints were on twice or 3 times in the next month it might be worth a months sub.....or.......given the way Saints have been playing recently it might not 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

Hi. The red button games are definitely not on the day pass, only a monthly pass. Given as it's £11.99 for 24 hours now, if saints were on twice or 3 times in the next month it might be worth a months sub.....or.......given the way Saints have been playing recently it might not 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks that's what I thought.  When I started doing the Now TV day pass it was £6.99, which was decent value, I never normally bother now at £11.99, way too steep but wanted to see tonights. I'll find a stream 🤣

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Thanks that's what I thought.  When I started doing the Now TV day pass it was £6.99, which was decent value, I never normally bother now at £11.99, way too steep but wanted to see tonights. I'll find a stream 🤣

No problem. Im going to find a stream as well. £34.99 a month on nowtv. Saints are on 3 times  without any playoff games. Even that seems pricey to me. Like you say, has gone up in price very quickly!

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Lurking while making the odd comment. Unfortunately my words are monitored so I have to be careful with my criticism these days! I was at Blackburn for the "Sam Gallagher" derby of course, watching and listening to the home fans and afterwards in the players lounge listening to the Blackburn players thoughts on our performance.

Can see why they are struggling if they can rumble a team but still only come away with a draw. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

I always wonder which source they actually hear the aforementioned criticism from.

I mean, we're a pretty average sized club, so it's not going to be national media.

That leaves either the fans at the games, the local press or this forum.

That brings me to a memory of a certain Welshman that we were pretty sure actually had an account on this forum 😂

Please don't be a nutter and read this forum, Russ.

If managers and players have any sense they will not be wasting their time reading/reacting to comments on fan's forums. If they do and they are offended then that's their own stupid fault.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

That's interesting... can you elaborate or summarise what the players said at all, without getting into trouble? 

2 hours ago, tdmickey3 said:

Are they "sad fucks" as well Russell?

Don't know what you're referring to here but if you're telling everyone you've rumbled a team I feel like you probably should pick up a better result than 0-0 to back up you're point. Also find it interesting Blackburn players are pointing out a narrative that FF has been stating since November at least... conveniently through FF himself. 

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Can see why they are struggling if they can rumble a team but still only come away with a draw. 

Tbf, I think a team looking over their shoulder at relegation would be justified in considering a point against a promotion-chasing side with a £multi-million line-up a bit of a rumble.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I can't go tonight, but noticed it's on 'Sky Football', is that one of those channels that isn't covered on the Now TV day sports pass? I seem to remember falling for that scam before, anyone know? 

You can watch on the Saints website for a tenner mate, invite the neighbours round and split the cost ha 

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

You can watch on the Saints website for a tenner mate, invite the neighbours round and split the cost ha 

Can you?? Oh nice, I didn't know that, thank you ... shows how little attention I pay to their marketing, oops!

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Or, to look at it another way, if, as you imply, we haven't been "rumbled" then a 0-0 against a team that is "struggling" isn't a particularly good result from our perspective....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or, to look at it another way, if, as you imply, we haven't been "rumbled" then a 0-0 against a team that is "struggling" isn't a particularly good result from our perspective....

Weren't rumbled by Boro or Ipswich despite the results.  Unless rumbled means hoping our strikers miss a hat full of chances.

6 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

it's seemed that way for a while really. It's not hard to play against us if a team gets it right, plus we're a team with confidence shot to bits now, that's been unsettled by a couple of unessasary january transfers and by the managers instance to play a certain player whatever the cost and disruption on the team. All in all a bit of a shit show really.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Yozzman said:

Weren't rumbled by Boro or Ipswich despite the results.  Unless rumbled means hoping our strikers miss a hat full of chances.

Maybe that’s what they rumbled, if we have ten chances and they have three that would be enough for a victory regardless of possession stats?

It's less insane than Stephens in a floating role I suppose. Harsh on the other half of our best centre back partnership. Good to see Aribo get a start. A lot of onus on Brooks to be the creative force in that line up.

• Like 1

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

What’s wrong with Janny B? Other than that it’s an ok first 11.

His name - he's not called Jack Stephens. I suspect he is pretty pissed off.

Russell’s ridiculous obsession with having Stephens on the pitch at all costs will be the one we look back at and say it’s cost us a shot at auto promotion 

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic