Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Let's get Fraser and Edozie on for Armstrong and Brooks who've been invisible. At least have a couple of players who are going to stretch play so we can have a go at them.

• Like 1

I think what this does do is underline that we absolutely deserve our place in the table. We have been outclassed by a better team with better players playing  a better system. If we go up I would be worried we would get tonked. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

Just now, Chez said:

I don't want to hear any excuses about the ref being shit. We aint been good enough so far. 

The two aren't mutually exclusive (shite officials and shite players)....

This has all the hallmarks of a saints win second half, which would be disastrous, we can't afford to meet Leicester at Wembley.

Hopefully they will stick to the plan and ensure we continue to avoid crossing the ball or making any forward runs. Keep it up lads x

5 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Just realised ever since Russell Martin got a haircut we've been shit! 

Russ, The modern Samson.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

As in piss poor ? 

🙂 I saw that one coming. I originally put fluent, then realised I'd get "shame it's not in football."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

When the Leicester back 4 have possession we just stand off 5 yards like statues, allowing them to survey the field and pick out passes.  No pressure, take your time.  Infuriating 

Saints actually having a fucking clue how to press an opponent seems like ions ago

Just now, pingpong said:

This has all the hallmarks of a saints win second half, which would be disastrous, we can't afford to meet Leicester at Wembley.

Hopefully they will stick to the plan and ensure we continue to avoid crossing the ball or making any forward runs. Keep it up lads x

You think we've got a chance of getting to Wembley? Season feels like it's already over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Truly pathetic. The most appalling stat was was us having 70+% of possession whilst barely getting out of our own half.

You'd honestly think losing 1-0 gets us promoted by how we have approached this.

Absolutely this. It’s not so much the players - it’s how they’ve been told to play. What is there to lose by getting the ball forward quicker? Pressurise their defence - Vestergard has a penalty in his locker to give away if only someone could run at him in the fucking box.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Why the fuck don't we get it wide and get some crosses into the box?  Everything is through the middle so fn boring 💤 

Because we haven’t got anyone in the box to take advantage. Unless Stewart can come on with crutches 

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Absolutely this. It’s not so much the players - it’s how they’ve been told to play. What is there to lose by getting the ball forward quicker? Pressurise their defence - Vestergard has a penalty in his locker to give away if only someone could run at him in the fucking box.

Zombie football is how I'd describe it.

• Like 1

Pointless game plan. What is the purpose in slowing game down at opposition 18 Yard box then over passing sideways backwards. God help us in play off semi if this is the tactic. Can you imagine this football in the local derby next season, I'd rather not turn up or just sit in the concourse. 

Fraser has been one of our better players this season. He's been fit for a few weeks now, that he keeps getting overlooked for Brooks (who I like but has been bang off it lately) is baffling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

The two aren't mutually exclusive (shite officials and shite players)....

sure, but we have hardly managed to get out of our own half. Leicester deserve the lead no matter how much RM will moan about the possible foul on Adams or decisions like the missed corner.

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Men against boys, and that’s being kind.

Any chance RM can motivate this bunch of bottlers ?

Any chance that someone can motivate RM ?

Perhaps Greta Thurnberg or Eddie Izzard can give him a call and discuss tactics. 

All fart, no poo. 75% possession yet Leicester are dominating? Never heard anything like it.

Utterly strange performance from the players, clear emphasis on runs behind to stretch their line to open up inside passes yet we keep ignoring both the ball beyond and in between and go backwards. We utterly freeze in the final third.

I have to say, fucking woeful officiating. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanlee said:

Really enjoyed that, Probably the best right back in the league playing left back..brilliant 

Especially when it was Bree playing left back earlier this season that tightened us up after Manning scared the shit out of us with his positioning.

1 minute ago, Tanlee said:

Really enjoyed that, Probably the best right back in the league playing left back..brilliant 

Tactical mate - you don’t know sheer genius when you see it. Mind you, nor does anyone else.

• Haha 1

As bad as it has been, there is something to be said for keeping possession when you’re playing crap. You can say we’ve done nothing with it but what we have done is not concede three or four and be game over. We’re still in it, away to the team top of the league, albeit with a huge improvement needed.

• Like 1

Ah, so tney look like a technically much better side than us. Whenever we're trying to beat their press or move the ball through midfield, everyone looks like they're about to shit themselves in terror as they try to protect and offload the ball. In contrast their passing and movement are for the most part crisp and controlled.

This is what Strachan meant when he talked about propaganda football.

• Like 1

Even if we did get promoted via the play offs and that’s a big if. We would get battered week in week out playing this nonsense sideways, backwards, no running. But at least we are brave 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Adams has spent most of the half on the ground rather than on his feet.

I like Russell Martin, but this is piss poor tonight. No creativity whatsoever.

Nothing to do with the spine of the team being ripped out over the last few games. All Russ's fault definitely 😉

1 minute ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Nothing to do with the spine of the team being ripped out over the last few games. All Russ's fault definitely 😉

Tbf Adams has been one of the better players. Not difficult, I know. 

Not sure what to say after that!? 

My bravado of the unbeaten run Saints has dissipated to be left with this weirdly familiar feeling of... resignation?

Come on lads, put a shift in second half ffs.

2 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Take out a couple of players and it should be nowhere near as bad as this. RM is culpable.

Can’t be arsed, off to watch the final episode of Shogun. Will come back here tomorrow when the justifiable ranting is all over.  Nothing against anyone for their understandable comments but I can’t be doing negativity atm. 

Sadly RM's possession stat is largely due to Leicester stepping off, once they went one up.

But RM sticks to plan A. Not only in all the games we concede a lead. But also in games where we clearly don't play the personnel who can implement it.

Charles, who looked very unlikely to control and drive the game; Aribo who very unlikely to pass forward or control a game and Rothwell who looks to have never played in midfield, and very out of place.

So, disjointed across the team. McCarthy not as good as Baz's distribution, and with no midfield to pass to. Che comes deep as part of the tactic, but he was doing Charles' job on occasion.

Urgency and bravery isn't going to happen if you're so poorly set up.

Second half hopefully with more than 0.08 xG

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic