WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Not through choice, to be fair to him. If Adams was fit he would have played him. 

Mara's attitude has seemingly been shite recently, so there has to be better options otherwise, quite frankly, we don't deserve to go up if there isn't. 

Just because he had a good performance versus WBA once upon a time doesn't mean he's suddenly going to change his attitude today* #nonsequitur

*Cue a superb performance now I've said that of course.... ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Mara’s attitude and application has been disgraceful.  I would rather play the fucking kitman.

Fraser, in particular, must be wondering what he has to do. If the criteria for starting Mara is “he played 82 minutes last time we played them” then Fraser has a more decent shout.

1 minute ago, James said:

Fraser, in particular, must be wondering what he has to do. 

All he has to do is go back in time and spend his entire career playing as a striker instead of a winger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Just now, Saint_clark said:

All he has to do is go back in time and spend his entire career playing as a striker instead of a winger.

Assuming we are now wedded to playing 2 strikers. Other than last week we have played the entire season with one through the middle…

Just now, James said:

Assuming we are now wedded to playing 2 strikers. Other than last week we have played the entire season with one through the middle…

Armstrong on his own through the middle is worse than playing Mara as we lose his effective play down the wings as well.

• Like 5

Just now, James said:

Looks like with the players picked, we will be today.

Time to get behind the team whoever is playing. Let's hope we're not as cagey like the Norwich Leeds game, I can understand wanting to take a draw back to St Mary's but I hope we go for it today. I've got a feeling Stewart will score today. Come on Saints!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Bit nervous about this but need to keep it tight at the Hawthorns so the 3 at the back (which worked against Leeds) is the correct decision. If Mara offers one legacy to this club though in his time here, it can be getting us promoted. He has the tools, he just needs to work harder.

My concern is that the system we played last week against Leeds was effective in large part due to Che’s performance.

Rather than replace like for like and bring in a far inferior player it’s worth questioning whether it’s better to have changed formation to best use the players that are fit.

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Armstrong on his own through the middle is worse than playing Mara as we lose his effective play down the wings as well.

In your opinion, my opinion is that having Mara on the pitch effectively means playing with ten men.

8 minutes ago, James said:

He could have changed back to another formation, played Armstrong through the middle and brought in Fraser or Brooks. Not as if bringing in Mara was his only chance option….

That would still be ‘tinkering’ though wouldn’t it.

My point is not that he had to play Mara, it’s that he didn’t have a choice but to change the side. 

I agree that playing Mara is a huge risk. 

• Like 1

Just now, Midfield_General said:

That would still be ‘tinkering’ though wouldn’t it.

My point is not that he had to play Mara, it’s that he didn’t have a choice but to change the side. 

I agree that playing Mara is a huge risk. 

I didn’t criticise Russ for tinkering. I’d rather we reverted to a system that would have better utilised the players that are fit rather than being forced to start Sekou f’ing Mara in a playoff semifinal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

My concern is that the system we played last week against Leeds was effective in large part due to Che’s performance.

Rather than replace like for like and bring in a far inferior player it’s worth questioning whether it’s better to have changed formation to best use the players that are fit.

Agreed.

The long out ball was always on with Che there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Time to get behind the team whoever is playing. Let's hope we're not as cagey like the Norwich Leeds game, I can understand wanting to take a draw back to St Mary's but I hope we go for it today. I've got a feeling Stewart will score today. Come on Saints!

Hope we play at a decent tempo and keep the walking football to a minimum. I know its hot but you have to play on the front foot from the start.

6 minutes ago, James said:

Clearly RM is being influenced by Mara's 82 minutes when we beat them 2-0. Could be a mistake but we'll soon find out.

Just now, saintant said:

Clearly RM is being influenced by Mara's 82 minutes when we beat them 2-0. Could be a mistake but we'll soon find out.

Agree, partly why I made the flippant comment about Fraser. He was also very good last time we played them so on that criteria should have been shoe horned into the starting XI.

16 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Mara’s attitude and application has been disgraceful.  I would rather play the fucking kitman.

Well, i'd probably not go that far, doubt he'll last long though, too frail by far.

Just now, Totton Saint said:

Well we don't have long to wait to see how the selection pans out.  There are other players other than Mara we can depend on  - I hope?

There are but Che was pivotal to the success of the system against Leeds. Given Mara has been phoning it in every time he’s been given a chance I think fans are rightly nervous. It’s a huge call to start him given the importance of the game.

Ridiculous over reaction. Mara has been poor recently but has also had some very good appearances off the bench this season and scored a few goal. Needs to do it from the start now though. I think playing as a two up top with Arma will suit them both better. Unfortunately with Che out and Stewart not fit to start, we have no-one suitable for the lone striker role.

COYR!

• Like 8
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Ridiculous over reaction. Mara has been poor recently but has also had some very good appearances off the bench this season and scored a few goal. Needs to do it from the start now though. I think playing as a two up top with Arma will suit them both better. Unfortunately with Che out and Stewart not fit to start, we have no-one suitable for the lone striker role.

COYR!

Not really, no.

• Like 1

Certainly not an over reaction for people to be terrified about Mara leading the line in the biggest game of the season. I'm really struggling to remember 'very good' appearances off the bench, in fact, I remember some of the worst I've seen.

Hope he finally steps up today and makes a name for himself here, but it'd definitely be a surprise to myself.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, James said:

There are but Che was pivotal to the success of the system against Leeds. Given Mara has been phoning it in every time he’s been given a chance I think fans are rightly nervous. It’s a huge call to start him given the importance of the game.

But I'm not sure we can do anything else - we don't have any other strikers fit. Fraser, Kumaldeen, Brooks won't be any better at holding the ball up. 

Surely we've had enough shoe-horning of players into positions they don't play. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Certainly not an over reaction for people to be terrified about Mara leading the line in the biggest game of the season. I'm really struggling to remember 'very good' appearances off the bench, in fact, I remember some of the worst I've seen.

Hope he finally steps up today and makes a name for himself here, but it'd definitely be a surprise to myself.

It's him or nobody. Stewart clearly can't start. Not ideal, but RM can only use what he's been given. 

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

But I'm not sure we can do anything else - we don't have any other strikers fit. Fraser, Kumaldeen, Brooks won't be any better at holding the ball up. 

Surely we've had enough shoe-horning of players into positions they don't play. 

Im struggling to see how playing Arma down the middle and one of Fraser, Brooks or Kamaldeen on the wing in his place is a shoehorn.

it comes down to whether you’d prefer to play 352 and have to play Mara (I agree that, absent risking Stewart, we don’t have another choice) or go back to 433 and not have to play Mara. Whilst neither option is ideal, I would prefer to do the latter.

• Like 2

If there was ever a game where tippy-tappy ball retention and a last minute winner were the order of the day it's this one.

My expectation is that Mara will mistime a tackle and get a red card inside the first 20 minutes though.

1 minute ago, egg said:

It's him or nobody. Stewart clearly can't start. Not ideal, but RM can only use what he's been given. 

This. He’s our fourth choice striker, when two of them aren’t fit to start then he’s all that’s left. 

Unless of course we revert away from the system that worked so well at Leeds and play Arma as lone striker, which has been pretty pants this season.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

The game will bring challenges. But we have shown our strengths in the last 2 games against them. If we remain focused and not over confident, we will bring them plenty of challenges too.

Hopefully we have got over the Scar tissue.

• Like 1

Not the ideal team with Mara but I’ve been unconvinced by Adams and his striking prowess for a long while. Hopefully Mara can do a job till 70 mins when they start to tire and we will bring all the pace on and let Stewart fill his boots with goals. Easy!!

Im struggling to see how playing Arma down the middle and one of Fraser, Brooks or Kamaldeen on the wing in his place is a shoehorn.

it comes down to whether you’d prefer to play 352 and have to play Mara (I agree that, absent risking Stewart, we don’t have another choice) or go back to 433 and not have to play Mara. Whilst neither option is ideal, I would prefer to do the latter.

It's a shoehorn because it's not Arma's natural position, and he's been poor there when playing there. Play our best player in his best position and we'll have a better chance. 

• Like 2

Because AArmstrong has been really poor when played centrally and done very well while on the wing, he's a good runner but his hold up play is poor. We miss him when he's not out on the right, Brooks hasn't done as well as we'd hoped there. Better to play the most Che-like option we have in Mara and hope Stewart has 30 minutes in his legs, and that Che is back for the second leg.

• Like 1

Just now, Farmer Saint said:

It's a shoehorn because it's not Arma's natural position, and he's been poor there when playing there. Play our best player in his best position and we'll have a better chance. 

This is where we disagree. If the replacement for Adams wasn’t as poor as Mara I would agree 100% but the guy has shown literally nothing in terms of technical ability, attitude, commitment etc. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

Because until we went 352 at Leeds, we were shit. That system had stopped working for us. I thought the change of system was mental timing, but it worked, and changing it back cos Adams is out would be silly imo. The system picks itself, which means that Mara is a shoe in, not a a shoe horn. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, egg said:

Because until we went 352 at Leeds, we were shit. That system had stopped working for us. I thought the change of system was mental timing, but it worked, and changing it back cos Adams is out would be silly imo. The system picks itself, which means that Mara is a shoe in, not a a shoe horn. 

But what if Adams was the defining reason the system was so successful? His performance last week made it work IMO. Mara won’t give us even 50% of Che’s running or hold up play so to assume the system will still work with Mara is a huge leap of faith.

Edited by James

Baz, Stu and Che now missing. A system adjustment as well. So, some concerns.

Fortunately, we've still got lots of quality in there.

Mara did show a couple of glimpses a while back in a CF position. But he'll need a step up on recent form. Hopefully we'll get that, as he'll know Stewart will be coming on at some point.

22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

What's the options?

8 minutes ago, egg said:

👏👏

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Che not quite right for today, hopefully good for Friday - According to Rusty

That sounds positive, but I don't trust his injury assessments after the Downes stuff.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic