Ger Rickie back on loan this january

Giordano

We need cover for Pelle and he is perfect. SRL may as well be on the bench at SMS but playing exactly the way he can when he gets on, and with players that know how to play with him, than sitting at Anfield watching and listening to a Manager and a crowd who obviously pejoratively compare him to Borini Suarez Sterling Sturridge or Balotelli ~ when he is none of those.

Come back to SMS Rickie, play some matches be part of the squad and club that respects you and understands you. And who knows. IF Pelle gets an injury who is to say that our forward line up end of season might not be Jrod and Rickie once more!

We need cover for Pelle and he is perfect. SRL may as well be on the bench at SMS but playing exactly the way he can when he gets on, and with players that know how to play with him, than sitting at Anfield watching and listening to a Manager and a crowd who obviously pejoratively compare him to Borini Suarez Sterling Sturridge or Balotelli ~ when he is none of those.

Come back to SMS Rickie, play some matches be part of the squad and club that respects you and understands you. And who knows. IF Pelle gets an injury who is to say that our forward line up end of season might not be Jrod and Rickie once more!

Let head rule heart. Move on . Rickie is no longer an option for a team at our level ..legend though he is

One can never go back.

Mick Channon did in his 30s, but he was probably the case that proves the rule. Rickie was great in his time but his time is past and we have Shane Long as cover for Pelle even before JRod or Sam Gallagher comes back. I think Rickie made a mistake in going but I like to think that Koeman would have wanted Pelle to come with him, even if Lambert had still been here. If he had stayed, Rickie might not have got a regular game here either but he might have stopped us signing Shane Long, so in hindsight I'm glad he went and left us with pleasant memories. I can't see the club being interested in a loan, or what Liverpool would get out of it as he must be of use to them as a squad player.

If Rickie was offered to us in Jan is there any way we would meet the new higher wage he is receiving--just to sit on our bench and watch Mane Pelle Tadic and Long put the ball in the net? Won't work! If we could pay his L'pool wages he probably wouldn't have gone in the first place.

Never go back ...is the perfect axiom for footballers, who have moved on.

Surely most fans have wonderful memories of RL and it should stay that way. Given the chance ..he'll show ...what's left of his old form for Liverpool.

A return to SMS....nice for the nostalgic value only, might only turn sour and spoil the memory.

Edited by david in sweden

If Rickie was offered to us in Jan is there any way we would meet the new higher wage he is receiving--just to sit on our bench and watch Mane Pelle Tadic and Long put the ball in the net? Won't work! If we could pay his L'pool wages he probably wouldn't have gone in the first place.

....knowing his history, and his love of his home city, I think he'd willingly have played for Liverpool for half of what we paid him. For the glory. Pity for him his present manager doesn't see his value.

It would be like bringing back a dead relative. You loved them, you mourn their passing.....If they came back from the dead, it would just be too painful when you eventually have to stab the zombie in the brain.

Would make good half time entertainment

He was fading befrore he left us, he still looked good because he knew everyone around him and they knew how to make the best of him. He chose to go, bad decision, but he made it.

No, it was the right decision. As a life long Liverpool fan he simply couldn't turn down the chance to play for them, even knowing he would be on the bench more often than not. I consider myself a 'first team regular' in my current job but I'd give it up in a heartbeat to be a fringe player at Saints for £40kpw.

More likely than not he would be on the bench here anyway. We already tried to replace him with Osvaldo and it was becoming clear last season he was well past his sell by date. If Lambert had stayed we would still have bought Pelle. If Lambert can't get into the team ahead of no-hopers like Borini and Ballotelli then he'd have no chance against Pelle.

Dare I say it, if Lambert wants regular football, the Championship is his level. I don't think he has it in him to be an effective Premier League striker every weekend. Just look at Grant Holt as an example.

Huge RL fan and appreciate everything he did for us.

But he left us for something he thought would be better. It has not worked out for him which is a shame but it was his choice.

We as a club should not be taking former players who wanted out back. That journey has come and gone and people need to live by their decisions. Rickie made one for personal reasons and I think we all understand and appreciate why he made that decision. Wish him all the best but the RL era at this club is over.

What on earth are you talking about?

Rickie Lambert.

He went for £4m in summer and I doubt anyone would pay more than half that now. I really can't see many Premier League clubs coming in for him. Maybe one of the teams down the bottom but can you honestly say you would rather have him than Austin, Ings or Ulloa?

Rickie Lambert.

He went for £4m in summer and I doubt anyone would pay more than half that now. I really can't see many Premier League clubs coming in for him. Maybe one of the teams down the bottom but can you honestly say you would rather have him than Austin, Ings or Ulloa?

In the short term, absolutely. He hasn't become a worse player because he doesn't suit Liverpool's style of play. Austin and Ulloa have been in good form for their first handful of Premier League games but Lambert has proven his class over two seasons.

He needed replacing for us but any bottom half club and some top half clubs would be lucky to have him this year. After that is obviously another question.

Edited by DuncanRG

This reminds me of all the old HCDAJFU threads where folks would tout Charlie Farley because he had a blistering season for Bogchester Rovers when he was 23 despite now being 30 and hitting the back of the net only twice a season for the past 5 seasons.

Even since we became not at all shy about spending the kind of money on a player that was once beyond our wildest dreams as fans or the total cost of previous teams these "names" (and pit ponies) still pop up on threads for olde times sake: just in case that ounce of magic still remains....... Just once!!

Rickie for most of us will always be a Saints talisman, hero, legend whatever label we want to give him, those who have seen him we will remember him and cherish him for the glorious player he was for us, none of us want to remember him as a player fading before our eyes should he return. The previous legendary owner of the Saints number 7 shirt left us all with the ultimate image of swivelling impossibly to slot home the winner at the end of the ground most of the men with tears in their eyes grew up on, in the last ever game at the Dell to secure a win in the last game of the season against a good Arsenal Team.

We have a new Number 7 now, who looking at his relief of scoring against Stoke in the cup and a brace on Saturday, knows the history of that shirt with Saints, he might be a bit left field for some, but hopefully hitting the back of the net 3 times in 3 games has released the Genie from the lamp and started a new glorious chapter of his own.

As the saying goes......... We March On.

I was sad to see him go, and for a cheap price really ****ed me off. That said so far his move has gone totally tits up which has come as a bit of a surprise.

some pretty disrespectful comments on a club legend. I would have him back on loan, absolutely. However he would have to play back up to pelle who has been outstanding since his 1st couple of stinkers.