Who will go down?

Sheaf Saint

Just looking at the PL table today and it's incredibly tight down there in the bottom half. Just 6 points separating all ten teams in bottom half with just over a third of the season left. When Stoke kicked off this afternoon they were in the relegation zone but their win against Man Utd lifted them 7 places up to 11th. Even Villa directly beneath us aren't out of it IMO, as they are only 5 points above 18th and a poor run of form could see them drop rapidly.

Unless their new signings can make a huge difference I think Fulham will go down. Probably the worst team we have played this season over both games. And Cardiff will probably join them I reckon, given their ability to ship goals and the upheaval they have experienced so far. As for the final place? Pick any one from Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Sunderland, Norwich, Palace, West Brom or West Ham because not one of them is really that much better than the others at the moment to make you believe they will survive.

And before you bother to say it Dalek, I think we can safely say that Saints are definitely not sleepwalking to relegation this year.

Fulham

Cardiff

Norwich

It's probably ingrained after years of Saints being down there but I've always found the relegation battle far more interesting and exciting than the title race. The teams below us are all as crap as each other. Hoping for at least 7 teams in with a chance of going down on the last day just for the drama.

Been saying Fulham look relegation fodder for a while now. After seeing them in person i saw nothing to change my mind. Scattergun desperation approach to signings doesn't impress me either.

Maybe Norwich as they didn't impress me despite them somehow beating us.

And maybe Cardiff.

Fulham and Cardiff will be bottom two. Would like to say West Ham but have a feeling it could be Swansea.

Fulham - Terrible side, too many old legs, poor players through the spine

Cardiff - Dont think they are good enough really

The last place I really dont know, could be a few teams, I think Sunderland could still be there or there abouts come the end of the season, WBA seem a bit all over the place, Norwich seem consistantly crap and WHU just seem a mess.

I think Palace will pull out now but Hull, Villa and even Swansea will get sucked into the quagmire but I think they'll be ok

Fulham, West Brom and Stoke.

I don't think that Stoke have that much in them despite today. Their football has not changed, Odemwingie has let success get the best of him and Mark Hughes is simply not a transformational manager, the way QPR stayed up with him was ridiculous as proven later on last season.

West Brom well, Clarke couldn't turn them around, I can't help but think that there are a lot of one season wonders in that squad (either that or Hodgson patented their form). Pepe Mel was probably the most overrated manager in Spanish football, and despite selling half of the team that Betis side is really not that terrible, despite results not really having improved. I am very much convinced that WBA won't give him the background support we gave Pochettino, so I can't see anything changing for them. I can't understand the sale of Shane Long either...

Norwich will never be better than this under ****pants Hughton but the man himself has enough nerve to see it through. Same with Laudrup who will pick up a couple of wins as Swansea sleepwalk to the end of the season.

Crystal Palace is a tough one for me. Pulis has changed the place but the squad is still the same. I trust him to keep improving them when they get stuck.

Out of the named 3 I feel Cardiff for all the fireworks may actually not have improved that much. Will be an interesting one though, they've got some signings with a lot to prove there (Zaha for a start) and Solskjaer has the authority of a successful ex-player.

I think Sunderland are actually going to pull out of it quite swiftly, cup boosts included. Poyet has shown ambition and the team are buying it.

Edited by melmacian_saint

Last time this was asked I thought Palace, West Ham and Fulham.

Fulham still look down to me.

Norwich now look in a bit of trouble. Their last 4 games are Liverpool (h), Utd (a), Chelsea(a), Arse (h) so realistically they have 10 games to get 16'ish points to safety. Being as they average 1 point per game I'm not convinced they can do it.

As for the third slot it really could be anyone from Villa down, whoever has a bad run will be in big trouble and they are all capable of slipping up.

I forgot west brom existed. It happens

yes they're a mess. Surprised they let long go think he was their best option. Think they'll go down.

I think they will struggle to score goals

Just had a look at sunderlands form since poyet came in

very good indeed

i would of liked villa to go down. Partly cos i want all my villa mates to suffer, and partly cos i think they've been v.lucky to get as many points as they have. Like yesterday they is get 29% possession and have one shot all game + that helmet Lambart (the shit lambart not the awesome saints one) is going on bout how "excellent" they was.

i would of liked villa to go down. Partly cos i want all my villa mates to suffer, and partly cos i think they've been v.lucky to get as many points as they have. Like yesterday they is get 29% possession and have one shot all game + that helmet Lambart (the shit lambart not the awesome saints one) is going on bout how "excellent" they was.

Id too love to see Villa go down, lets all hold hands and pray.

Though Id like WHU to go down too

Lets pray for a claret n blue relegation and see what happens

Cardiff have played twice against Man C , Arsenal & Man City. They have easier games to come. It is not much but it is so tight at the bottom that little things like this can count in their favour.

I think that West Brom are going to be the ones to go down.... along with Fulham and West Ham.

It's pretty much impossible to call. Fulham look the most likely ATM but both palace and Sunderland have looked beyond hope at some stage this season. You could make a case for any of the bottom 11 but if I had to choose right now I'd say Fulham, west brom and Swansea.

I just think Fulham can win games. When the new manager came in they were still rubbish, but amongst the gutless drubbings there were a couple of wins. I wouldn't write them off until the new signings have played a bit. Every year a team or two put up a surprising fight, sometimes successful. No-one ever learns, writing off teams every other week. You'd think supporting Saints, a team written off every season for many years would have taught them something. How many times were we 'definitely down' in the 90s??

I wouldn't want to put money on anyone going down. I thought Cardiff would win today but still think they could go. Managerial inexperience, too many signings to bed in. Palace made better signings and have an experienced manager, but I think they will have a rough patch under him. They've been great, but they're still in a battle and short on quality at the back. Stoke can be awful but just beat MU.

WH I'd love to go down but I can't see it. They'll kick and bore their way out of it. I can see at least 2 spots being decided on the final day at this rate and 5 or 6 teams involved right until the end.

I worry for Norwich, they just look frail despite our brightest posters declaring them summer transfer window winners! Wouldn't mind nicking Hooper in the summer. Sunderland aren't out of it, don't be mistaken by form. That's what they have, but it won't last until May. I do think they'll have enough to stay up though.

Bottom 5 will be Cardiff, Norwich, Fulham, Palace and West Ham, but I won't guess what order!

Over the last 16 games its been better than yours;). Think of it as a blip if you like but we are playing some very good football. Not out of it and we do have some tough games but two months ago we were dead and buried.

We have Hull at home next up and that's a huge game for us as the few games after that are tough. If I had to put a bet on now my three for the drop would be Fulham, Palace and Cardiff, but as others have said, anyone in the bottom half could go and it could easily be us.

I see your'e fans don't seem to like West Ham very much.

I like that as don't like them either. Club that has never won the league yet think they are better than others. I don't mind a bit of arrogance from the likes of Arsenal fans or Everton fans as their clubs history probably warrants it, but when I get told by a West Ham fan that I support a 'small' club, then I get annoyed and its happened more than once to me. I used to live in London and the Hammers fans are so full of themselves its rediculous.

3 FA Cups to our 2 and no league championships to our 6. Aye reeto...

I like that as don't like them either. Club that has never won the league yet think they are better than others. I don't mind a bit of arrogance from the likes of Arsenal fans or Everton fans as their clubs history probably warrants it, but when I get told by a West Ham fan that I support a 'small' club, then I get annoyed and its happened more than once to me. I used to live in London and the Hammers fans are so full of themselves its rediculous.

I think Sunderland will be fine. Norwich look to be in trouble though.

Yeah there's a bit of needle between us and them going back to the season we were both promoted from the Championship. The arrogance of the West Ham fans, who believed they had some sort of divine right to automatic promotion ahead of lowly little Southampton, was just staggering. Add in the fact that both games between the two teams that season were bad-tempered affairs, and that their manager is one of the most generally dislikeable men in football today, and it's fair to say you won't find many on here who have any sympathy for them.

Fulham are by far the worst side i've seen this season. I think Norwich are in trouble and then it could be WHU, Cardiff or Swansea.

I'd love to see Stoke go down just because they sacked a manager who was doing a good job and replaced him with someone who is no better. It's great seeing Pulis lifting Palace out of the **** whilst Hughes makes a mess of jet another club.

Yeah there's a bit of needle between us and them going back to the season we were both promoted from the Championship. The arrogance of the West Ham fans, who believed they had some sort of divine right to automatic promotion ahead of lowly little Southampton, was just staggering. Add in the fact that both games between the two teams that season were bad-tempered affairs, and that their manager is one of the most generally dislikeable men in football today, and it's fair to say you won't find many on here who have any sympathy for them.

The promotion party boat thread in December beggared belief :lol:

Right now I would say:

Fulham - Have just been awful in both games against us. I can't really say anything good about them, they will just have to pray their new signings change something. Bottom for a reason.

Cardiff - Inexperienced manager in OGS and they just aren't that good.

Norwich - Don't see enough goals in them to stay up.

I think Sunderland, Swansea and West Ham have a couple of decent players and will be okay eventually. West Brom and Stoke will go close but should be okay IMO.

I'm obviously alone in that I think Fulham may pull out of it. They've made a couple of astute signings and moved on some of the trouble (Berbatov). They have a manager who wants to learn and is technical and I just think they may scrape through.

Cardiff look rubbish. I would have said they'd have stayed up under Malkay, but not OGS - weird team.

Norwich also look rubbish and just don't seem to perform as a team

3rd sport for me ... West Ham, Fulham, Stoke, Palace, West Brom (one from that lot, in that order)

We shall see!