Breaking News: Fifa officials arrested.

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Can someone nail Ricardo Teixeira for something please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Teixeira

"Ricardo Terra Teixeira was president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) from January 16, 1989 to March 12, 2012. In July 2012 a Swiss prosecutor's report revealed that, during his tenure on FIFA's Executive Committee, he and his former father-in-law Joao Havelange took more than $41 million in bribes in connection with the award of World Cup marketing rights"

I can't guarantee that, but I can almost certainly guarantee Mr Blatter's son is gonna get some heat :smug:

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm absolutely stunned at this news, Fifa, corrupt?? No!! I don't believe it. ;)

Well done on authorities for uncovering the worst kept secret in history. This is definitely worth an order of Popcorn.

“The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States,” said Attorney General Lynch. “It spans at least two generations of soccer officials who, as alleged, have abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks. And it has profoundly harmed a multitude of victims, from the youth leagues and developing countries that should benefit from the revenue generated by the commercial rights these organizations hold, to the fans at home and throughout the world whose support for the game makes those rights valuable. Today’s action makes clear that this Department of Justice intends to end any such corrupt practices, to root out misconduct, and to bring wrongdoers to justice – and we look forward to continuing to work with other countries in this effort.”

“Today’s announcement should send a message that enough is enough,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Currie. “After decades of what the indictment alleges to be brazen corruption, organized international soccer needs a new start – a new chance for its governing institutions to provide honest oversight and support of a sport that is beloved across the world, increasingly so here in the United States. Let me be clear: this indictment is not the final chapter in our investigation.”

Give 'em both barrels, USA. :smug:

I'm pretty shocked the yanks cared enough to go for this. I always assumed half the reason FIFA got away with all the crap was because no one was sure whose problem they were.

The Yanks are really hot on financial crime - money laundering, fraud etc. They are the ones who have initiated the LIBOR fixing cases against British banks that our government was inert on. It seems as though some of the proceeds were held in American accounts, so giving them jurisdiction.

It's mainly because the US Federal Laws allow for the extradition of people on the most tenuous of links to the US. I saw "use of a US ISP" on the list of valid reasons for American intervention. Usually I'm on the fence about their imposition of themselves as global enforcers, but this one is funny.

Nothing to see here, just Paddy Power trying to create a book on something that's not going to happen.

And who are these 'renewed calls' for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to be re-allocated coming from?

For some reason, we seem to think we have a divine right to be a world soccer power who should be staging every tournament.

Even if Russia and Qatar are stripped (which won't happen), there are plenty of countries more deserving than England for a chance to stage the World Cup, especially if you ascribe to the view that as a global game, the game's prime tournament should be taken all over the globe.

Australia probably have a stronger case than us and there are probably a couple of countries ahead of us when it becomes Europe's turn in the rotation.

Nothing to see here, just Paddy Power trying to create a book on something that's not going to happen.

And who are these 'renewed calls' for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to be re-allocated coming from?

For some reason, we seem to think we have a divine right to be a world soccer power who should be staging every tournament.

Even if Russia and Qatar are stripped (which won't happen), there are plenty of countries more deserving than England for a chance to stage the World Cup, especially if you ascribe to the view that as a global game, the game's prime tournament should be taken all over the globe.

Australia probably have a stronger case than us and there are probably a couple of countries ahead of us when it becomes Europe's turn in the rotation.

I agree but not many have the stadia or infrastructure to host a tournament comparatively at the drop of a hat (certainly in the case of 2018).

They had some journo bloke on talkSport who had done Panorama programme on this, and his opinion (for what it's worth) was 2018 - either UK or Belgium/Netherlands and 2022 - USA.

The problem with all this was the 2022. As we all know it is the most ridiculous decision. Seems some got too greedy and brought a whole whole lot more attention on to them which hopefully will bring the whole of FIFA crashing down.

Even if Russia and Qatar are stripped (which won't happen), there are plenty of countries more deserving than England for a chance to stage the World Cup....Australia probably have a stronger case than us and there are probably a couple of countries ahead of us when it becomes Europe's turn in the rotation.

True, but relatively few countries have the existing infrastructure needed to stage a WC at short notice. Anyway as you said, its just bookies looking to make some money on bets - and obviously most English punters back England. No real story.

Who has suggested we have a divine right to host these tournaments? WE've held one major tournament in over 40 years. Who do you think should be ahead of us in the queue?

One of the reasons it hasn't been awarded to England is because the rules of football belong to the FA. And when things happen in this country, FA is more senior than FIFA.

WE've held one major tournament in over 40 years. Who do you think should be ahead of us in the queue?

Its only 10 WCs though. Sure I think England should be in contention - but Russia would have had a claim even without the corruption, as well as SE Asia, China or Australia / NZ.

Its only 10 WCs though. Sure I think England should be in contention - but Russia would have had a claim even without the corruption, as well as SE Asia, China or Australia / NZ.
I agree Russia could be a good option, as could Oz/NZ, has China or anywhere in South East Asia bid? As I said, no-one has suggested we have a divine right to host a comp, equally we shouldn't be dismissed straight out of hand as the other poster was doing.

This is potentially explosive, the statement from the Swiss Atorney General is huge! It looks like they've finally been caught out (I hope), it all happening today, just 2 days before the vote and in the same Hotel as the World's media makes it look like it was arranged by Michael Corleoné! Gotta love those Yanks, "today we settle all FIFA family business".

Just cast your minds back to the day Russia and Qatar won their bids. I was in the pub due to a snow day and everyone was taken back by it, so obviously obviously corrupt. The recent news that Russia had lost/ destroyed all the computer equipment used during their bid was astonishing, the deaths in Qatar keep racking up. It's a ****ing disgrace and the sooner it gets fixed the better. No way Putin's Russia or a petro nation of 300k people in a desert with limited human rights should have the 2nd biggest sporting event in the World.

I will also take particular pleasure in seeing Jack Warner taken to task.

This.

Hopefully the USA have them by the balls.

Blatter's background suggests that we might have a worthy successor right here in our own ranks.

Mr Blatter worked in the watch industry, and increasingly in sports management, serving at the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation before moving to Fifa as its technical director in 1975.

Don't we have a significant comparable connection what with our Chairman's background as coach of the Swiss National Ice Hockey team, our Swiss owner, and a Swiss watchmaker as a sponsor at Saints? Step forward Ralph Krueger, your time has arrived.

Russia will go ahead but there are plenty of domestic leagues unhappy with the Qatar farce, I can see that being held in the US.

One of the reasons it hasn't been awarded to England is because the rules of football belong to the FA. And when things happen in this country, FA is more senior than FIFA.

I think you might be getting a little confused with cricket.

The laws (they aren't rules) of the game are sanctioned by the International Football Association Board, which was actually founded in 1886 for the express purpose of ensuring one codified set of rules across the game. Although not technically part of Fifa, they are recognised by them as the body responsible for sanctioning and adopting any changes to the laws of the game, and any changes have to go through a voting process for Fifa's approval.

Fifa itself cannot change any of the laws of the game, but no changes can be made to the laws without Fifa's sanction.

The laws of cricket are still administered by the MCC, who are the guardians of the laws and effectively own the copyright, despite attempts by the ICC to wrest control away.

Now that is a strange set-up, where what is effectively a posh, privileged private members club can dictate the laws of a sport.

I think you might be getting a little confused with cricket.

The laws (they aren't rules) of the game are sanctioned by the International Football Association Board, which was actually founded in 1886 for the express purpose of ensuring one codified set of rules across the game. Although not technically part of Fifa, they are recognised by them as the body responsible for sanctioning and adopting any changes to the laws of the game, and any changes have to go through a voting process for Fifa's approval.

Fifa itself cannot change any of the laws of the game, but no changes can be made to the laws without Fifa's sanction..

Although they can at any point decide that the privilege they've given to the IFAB of being the arbiters of FIFA's laws goes away, of course - or that the membership of IFAB is no longer 4 UK members and 4 non-UK FIFA.

The real reason no civilised Western country is getting the World Cup any time soon is FIFA's insistence on creating their own legislation and court process for the duration of the tournament, and the massive tax breaks FIFA insists upon from the host country as a pre-condition of hosting.

They had some journo bloke on talkSport who had done Panorama programme on this, and his opinion (for what it's worth) was 2018 - either UK or Belgium/Netherlands and 2022 - USA.

The problem with all this was the 2022. As we all know it is the most ridiculous decision. Seems some got too greedy and brought a whole whole lot more attention on to them which hopefully will bring the whole of FIFA crashing down.

It looks as if Blatter's greed will lead to his downfall. The decision to award two tournaments at the same time was an odd one, never having been done before. At that time, however, Blatter had declared his intention not to stand again, so the only logical conclusion, allegedly, was that it was done to give Herr Blatter two more goes to fill up his pension.

It was only after the double award that Blatter gave in to the overwhelming pressure placed on him by fans the world over to change his mind and reluctantly agree to stand again.

It looks as if Blatter's greed will lead to his downfall. The decision to award two tournaments at the same time was an odd one, never having been done before. At that time, however, Blatter had declared his intention not to stand again, so the only logical conclusion, allegedly, was that it was done to give Herr Blatter two more goes to fill up his pension.

It was only after the double award that Blatter gave in to the overwhelming pressure placed on him by fans the world over to change his mind and reluctantly agree to stand again.

Its a good example of why most countries limit their leaders to two terms. If you allow a leader to stay in place too long they can build up a fiefdom where the staff's loyalty is to the leader rather than the organisation / country.

Loving this FBI presser.

This is brilliant. Now go get Sepp as well, please. I bet there's a sh1tload of wrinkly, bent old f()ckers sweating right now

full on isnt it.

not had much detail until now but it seems every single time FIFA bring football to the world, it is covered in bribes and such like

the gesture of the USA holding the anniversary of the Copa America was in fact a gesture to allow FIFA personnel to make millions in bribes.

likewise, the 2010 world cup

how on earth can Blatter even attempt to carry on. He is nuts.

He is an old man, stinking rich. Just disappear and take the quiet life

FIFA's ACTUAL STATUTES insist on the transfer of funds to delegates being in cash, and they all queue up to be given wads of notes.

Why anyone would think there were any issues with bribes, money laundering, fraud, tax evasion or criminal activity I can't imagine.

You can still get 7/2 for 2022 WC not to be in Qatar. Fear too many are getting their hopes up today. Here's hoping though

Hmm dunno, the fact that the process was corrupt gives all of the federations the perfect excuse to try get out of it - nobody wants it in Qatar and 7 years is plenty of time for another nation to prepare.

Probably now depends on the sponsors as much as the legal investigations. If Adidas and co make real noises about leaving - or actually do so - Blatter and co will go. If not, they may still go if it is still rumbling after more than a week, but the sponsors are the ones who can make this happen right now.

But yes, I expect to watch on in semi-astonishment as Blatter gets re-elected and everything gets buried nice and quickly again. I don't see how it can, but it always seems to work out that way.

....even after the **Watergate break-in.. Nixon went onto win a second term as no-one had connected up all the pieces soon enough.....

It took another 2 years of investigations to impeach him...I bet there's no such alternative in FIFA's statutes....so well have to up with Blatter for another few years:rolleyes:

I hope he does, that will then lead to a breakup of FIFA, with the ones who do not vote for him breaking away. FIFA without the European countries will not get much sponsorship.

Indeed. If UEFA grew a pair and announced they're leaving FIFA in the morning then the game is up. There ain't no FIFA without Europe.

The Russians will have a view on that of course, and let's not kid ourselves that UEFA isn't a liable to corruption as any of the rest if them.