Saints V Villa Build Up Thread Capital One Cup

Stepgar

Didnt see thread on this so thought what the heck its only next Wednesday.

Just booked my tickets - if you want more than one you are gonna find it very hard indeed.

I had to the family section.

This could well be a sell out.

Anywho:

I would go with

Gazza

Cedric Yoshi Caulker Targett

Ward-Prowse Wanyama Classie Tadic

Seager Gaston (no. 10 role)

Something like that anyway.

Just booked my tickets - if you want more than one you are gonna find it very hard indeed.

Anywho:

I would go with

Gazza

Why on earth would you do that?

Anywho:

I would go with

Gazza

Probably nothing like that. Koeman, like last season, will try and win the Capital One Cup. Doesn't mean we will, because we can still play sh ite as we did at Bramall Lane but he won't be picking that team at home versus Villa.

As mentioned on the Liverpool thread, it'll be interesting to see how Koeman deals with the different priorities and demands of Liverpool, Villa and then Bournemouth on the following Sunday.

We're going for it in the cups, so I'm expecting:

--------Stekelenburg

Cedric, Fonte, Van Dijk, Bertrand

-------Wanyama Clasie

Ward-Prowse Davis Rodriguez

---------------Pelle

Assuming we start with Romeu instead of Clasie, Tadic for Rodriguez and Mane for Ward-Prowse at Anfield.

Depending on performance, result, recovery rates and injuries we can then decide if we want to try Wanyama-Clasie again against Bournemouth, when I could possibly see Rodriguez getting another start (though no reason to rotate Tadic/Mane/Davis at the moment against Bournemouth with a 6 day recovery before the Sunderland game - also, if Rodriguez was going to start against Bournemouth, one of Mane or Tadic wouldn't be rested against Villa - so maybe Rodriguez only plays against Bournemouth - I expect he's going to start at least one of them though).

I would go with

Gazza

We had a stronger team than that in the last round against a relegation threatened Championship team. Koeman clearly wants to win a trophy and picking a side like you have suggested won't do that.

Bit worrying Koeman's talk about JR's foot injury/pain, so they may be managing that quite carefully which will have an impact on his appearance time.

With the added injury news that Long maybe coming back in time for Bournemouth and possibly even Villa, it might be him instead of Rodriguez getting a run out...

Yes, I wonder what that's a consequence of. Too long away from running?

Just the interconnected nature of the body, I reckon - you know, 'leg bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to..'. The way he's been running it looks like he's compensating for something: had an out of kilter pelvic girdle once and ended up with achilles tendonitis.. But at least he's not paying for private physio like I was!

Just the interconnected nature of the body, I reckon - you know, 'leg bone connected to the shin bone, shin bone connected to..'. The way he's been running it looks like he's compensating for something: had an out of kilter pelvic girdle once and ended up with achilles tendonitis.. But at least he's not paying for private physio like I was!

After playing with no smooth cartilage on the back of my knee for 13 years, my physio discovered I didn't use some of my thigh muscles when walking, so that I didn't get pain through the middle of my knee. Had to exercise them for weeks to build them back up and recondition my brain to accept the pain threshold and rebuild the muscle around it. I also had numerous hamstring injuries after my knee problem which I didn't get at all before it.

It's perfectly possible the reconfiguration of his muscles and actually playing after so long is putting different stresses on his feet - or it could even just be related to normal body changes with age.

After playing with no smooth cartilage on the back of my knee for 13 years, my physio discovered I didn't use some of my thigh muscles when walking, so that I didn't get pain through the middle of my knee. Had to exercise them for weeks to build them back up and recondition my brain to accept the pain threshold and rebuild the muscle around it. I also had numerous hamstring injuries after my knee problem which I didn't get at all before it.

It's perfectly possible the reconfiguration of his muscles and actually playing after so long is putting different stresses on his feet - or it could even just be related to normal body changes with age.

Or he's wearing someone else's boots.

It could end up being something like this perhaps?

Stek

Yoshida, Fonte Caulker Targett

Romeu Ward Prowse

Juanmi Ramirez Rodriguez

Pelle**

*Depends on his back playing twice in 4 days.

**Who else is there that is fit?

No way we will change 3 of back line.

Will be:

Stek

Soares cauker van diyk target

Romeo clasie

Tadic ward prowse gaston

Pelle:

Subs:

Gazza, fonte, Martina, Davis, Juanmi, yoshida.

No way we will change 3 of back line.

Will be:

Stek

Soares cauker van diyk target

Romeo clasie

Tadic ward prowse gaston

Pelle:

Subs:

Gazza, fonte, Martina, Davis, Juanmi, yoshida.

Only left Cedric out because of his eye - give it time to heal :)

As mentioned on the Liverpool thread, it'll be interesting to see how Koeman deals with the different priorities and demands of Liverpool, Villa and then Bournemouth on the following Sunday.

We're going for it in the cups, so I'm expecting:

--------Stekelenburg

-------Wanyama Clasie

Ward-Prowse Davis Rodriguez

---------------Pelle

Assuming we start with Romeu instead of Clasie, Tadic for Rodriguez and Mane for Ward-Prowse at Anfield.

Depending on performance, result, recovery rates and injuries we can then decide if we want to try Wanyama-Clasie again against Bournemouth, when I could possibly see Rodriguez getting another start (though no reason to rotate Tadic/Mane/Davis at the moment against Bournemouth with a 6 day recovery before the Sunderland game - also, if Rodriguez was going to start against Bournemouth, one of Mane or Tadic wouldn't be rested against Villa - so maybe Rodriguez only plays against Bournemouth - I expect he's going to start at least one of them though).

With the Rodriguez/Long injuries and Mane's suspension we're going to have to rely on Pelle playing again unless we pick one of the U21s.

Gaston's played himself into contention, but I think Juanmi for Rodriguez from my original choice seems most likely.

--------Stekelenburg

-------Wanyama Clasie

Ward-Prowse Davis Juanmi

---------------Pelle

Will Mane's red card rule him out of Villa game? ....if so he'll be back for Bournemouth.

With Shane Long still out and Jay Rod with " a foot problem" .....will we see Ryan Seager get a full game at last ?

Expect to see Targett, Yoshida or Caulker at some stage, but RK might also give Juanmi some game time and see how he cuts it.

I reckon Targett might come in and obviously Mane will need replacing but other than that, we should pick the best team we can.

-------------------------Stek-------------------------------

Cedric---------Fonte--Virgil--------------Targett

-------------Wanyama----Clasie/JWP--------------

Gaston-------Juanmi/Davis-----------------Tadic

-------------------------Pelle-----------------------------

Stek

Yoshida Fonte VVD Targett

Wanyama Clasie

JWP Juanmi Tadic

Pelle

Have a suspicion that Targett is not fit/available, no sign of him in training. I don't expect any major changes to today's team, obviously Mane will not be playing, and Vic must be a doubt with the knocks he took today. Expect to see Seager play some part. I would go to start:

Stek, Cedric, Jose, VVD, Bertrand, Romeu, Clasie, Davis, Ramirez, Tadic, Pelle with Caulker, Yoshida, Seager, Reed, JWP and Juanmi on the bench (and Davis or Gazza).

I would go with

Gazza

put down the crack pipe.

01) Our League position is safe, we aren't going to get relegated.

02) our next League game is at home against a reeling Bournemouth, who also play this Wednesday.

you put your strongest team out there, in my opinion. We are trying to win the Cup, right? Who are you saving them for? Bournemouth at home next Sunday?

Why risk fielding a weak squad?

-----------------Stek----------------

Soares--Fonte--Van Dijk--Bertrand

----------Romeu-----Clasie---------

---Juanmi-------Davis------Tadic---

----------------Pelle-----------------

would be nice if Long or JRod were fit. I worry about goals. Presumably you would have JWP, Gaston, and Wanyama as your likely subs. I really don't want to see Yoshida out there again. Even when it is not directly his fault, as a team, we seem to falter when he is on the pitch.

Wouldn't be to surprised with the following -

Stek

Yoshida , Fonte , VVD , Targett

Romeu Clasie

Juanmi Davis Tadic/Ramirez

Pelle

Change the full backs as we can't afford to really lose either of them, keep the CBs the same to keep growing the partnership - give Clasie some game time with the other DM and then Juanmi in for Mane and possibly Ramirez in for tadic - probably would be a sub tho.

Koeman always has an eye on the squad so he'll make a few changes to keep players match fit. Wanyama will be rested and Mane is out. I doubt he'll make any other changes other than the usual Davis / JWP interchange. Classie and Bertrand need game time.

I reckon

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

VVD

Bertrand

Romeo

JWP

Classie

Tadic

Juanmi

Pelle

I'd prefer Gaston to Juanmi but he'll be off at Christmas so no point in investing time. Hopefully he'll get a good subs appearance though.

Koeman always has an eye on the squad so he'll make a few changes to keep players match fit. Wanyama will be rested and Mane is out. I doubt he'll make any other changes other than the usual Davis / JWP interchange. Classie and Bertrand need game time.

I reckon

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

VVD

Bertrand

Romeo

JWP

Classie

Tadic

Juanmi

Pelle

I'd prefer Gaston to Juanmi but he'll be off at Christmas so no point in investing time. Hopefully he'll get a good subs appearance though.

That's pretty close id say, I reckon we will see tadic rested too

Devil's advocate, if we wanted to rest Pelle, and we're without Long and JRod, is there another system we can employ to enable us to rest Pelle? Is Juanmi 'striker' enough?

I think we'd have to play Mane (suspended though) or Seager up there (or maybe both if it was a league game), both with dramatically different characteristics as players and would massively change the way we play. No long balls!