Puel out

Lastman73

IMO the whole club, players, board, manager coaches etc knew this would be a tough season and the objective was to reach 40 points.

Once we had done this, it was difficult to motivate everyone. Also, we had been to a Cup final which was a bonus. So, our season simply petered out. If you think we were the only ones, well look at WBA. They reached 40 points in late January and thereafter put the deckchairs out. The fact is that clubs like Saints have only really one aim in the league, survival. Once achieved their is little incentive to push on. That is why in the middle of the league there is so little difference. The only competition is in the top 5 and the bottom three or four.

"Matron!"

How on earth is Silva any better than Puel?

Abject surrender by his Hull side when the chips were down and some dodgy links with Jorge Mendes.

Madness why this guy is talked about so highly

Rafa benitez took an far better Newcastle side down.... I would have him over puel on a heart beat

My view is the team that finishes 8th deserves to finish 8th and are therefore the 8th best team in England. That's been the historical way teams are judged . Just because it doesn't support their agenda, people are looking around for new measures. I'm sure there's plenty of Puel out bods who were absolutely gutted when they found out Boscombe & West Brom didn't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are blinded by your mancrush on Puel if you can't see what a huge step back we have taken this season. You can be all jolly about finishing 8th but next season could go really bad if we continue "as is".

My view is the team that finishes 8th deserves to finish 8th and are therefore the 8th best team in England. That's been the historical way teams are judged . Just because it doesn't support their agenda, people are looking around for new measures. I'm sure there's plenty of Puel out bods who were absolutely gutted when they found out Boscombe & West Brom didn't win.

League table aside, does it not concern you that a large number of the squad are very unhappy with Puel and the current coaching staff?

Does our home form this season not concern you?

Do his pretty predictable and lack of tactical substitutions not concern you?

I agree that 8th is a pretty reasonable finish, however you really need to look at more than final league position and it is very nieave and foolish not to. At least Les and the board aren't as foolish as you and will be dismissing him.

Sorry Duckhunter, but you're fighting a loosing battle here pal.

League table aside, does it not concern you that a large number of the squad are very unhappy with Puel and the current coaching staff?

Does our home form this season not concern you?

Do his pretty predictable and lack of tactical substitutions not concern you?

I agree that 8th is a pretty reasonable finish, however you really need to look at more than final league position and it is very nieave and foolish not to. At least Les and the board aren't as foolish as you and will be dismissing him.

Sorry Duckhunter, but you're fighting a loosing battle here pal.

He's like the Japanese soldier who thought it was still WWII. Sad!

IMO it's very lazy to just look at the league position in isolation and say, oh we finished 8th, it was a good season. On its own yes that is fine, but you have to look at the bigger picture as well.

Only two points ahead of 13th

Closer points wise to the bottom three than the team immediately above us

Less than a goal a game at home, and none in the last five

If we were managerless now, would you look at Puel's record this season and think we should be appointing him? The most worrying thing is we have actually been getting worse rather than better, and when a team is struggling to score goals as badly as we have been there is only one direction you're headed. I genuinely believe if Puel is still in charge next season we will be in a relegation battle, as I don't see him changing his style. I'm quite amazed that we finished 8th but to a certain extent I think we were let off the hook as the rest of the league outside the top 7 was so poor.

He seems a decent guy, and I am grateful for the cup final, but really aside from that it has been a pretty dismal season with very few highlights.

IMO it's very lazy to just look at the league position in isolation and say, oh we finished 8th, it was a good season. On its own yes that is fine, but you have to look at the bigger picture as well.

Only two points ahead of 13th

Closer points wise to the bottom three than the team immediately above us

Less than a goal a game at home, and none in the last five

If we were managerless now, would you look at Puel's record this season and think we should be appointing him? The most worrying thing is we have actually been getting worse rather than better, and when a team is struggling to score goals as badly as we have been there is only one direction you're headed. I genuinely believe if Puel is still in charge next season we will be in a relegation battle, as I don't see him changing his style. I'm quite amazed that we finished 8th but to a certain extent I think we were let off the hook as the rest of the league outside the top 7 was so poor.

He seems a decent guy, and I am grateful for the cup final, but really aside from that it has been a pretty dismal season with very few highlights.

Doesn't looking at the bigger picture involve other mitigating factors like poor summer recruitment, injuries to key players, the fallout of a captain wanting away mid season, European football, the general improvement in the big teams and a cup run.

People are talking like the manager is the only issue this season. Even if we ditch Puel the next manager is looking at the same squad minus VVD, Bertrand and Cedric to improve on this season he is going to have work miracles who ever he is.

Doesn't looking at the bigger picture involve other mitigating factors like poor summer recruitment, injuries to key players, the fallout of a captain wanting away mid season, European football, the general improvement in the big teams and a cup run.

People are talking like the manager is the only issue this season. Even if we ditch Puel the next manager is looking at the same squad minus VVD, Bertrand and Cedric to improve on this season he is going to have work miracles who ever he is.

Exactly, perhaps if people did look at the bigger picture they wouldn't look solely at the manager. As for Claud's successor, you're right, he's going to need to be a miracle worker.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Exactly, perhaps if people did look at the bigger picture they wouldn't look solely at the manager. As for Claud's successor, you're right, he's going to need to be a miracle worker.

Perhaps some people ARE capable of looking at the 'bigger picture' but at the same time also taking in to account the fact that Puel still hasn't done himself any favours?

I went to the EFL Final and a great day out it was. the 8th position with a poor 46 points has been well explained but the EFL Cup needs a comment. We entered late due to the Europa, beat a mixed Arsenal team, then repeated that at home against mixed CP and Sunderland teams whilst playing a mixed team ourselves.

We were then in the semi finals and had two backs to the wall displays with two very good 1-0 wins. It wasn't until the semi finals that anyone took the cup seriously so with most sides playing weak sides the bulk of the rounds were throwaways. Getting to the semi finals was no great achievement, beating Liverpool was. We did however seem to have the Indian sign over Liverpool. These cups are no longer the ultra competitive competitions they used to be until the late rounds. Credit for the last three games but the early rounds were poor.

The acid test next year will be if we finish on 50 points but finish tenth.

Will that be "we're going backwards FFS we're going backwards" or not?

Les and Ralph are only interested in us regularly playing in the Champions League so as long as we don't get relegated while we are waiting for this then all we can hope for is a little entertainment on that journey. Then we'll just pounce while no one is looking and Champions League winners we are. Bingo.

I went to the EFL Final and a great day out it was. the 8th position with a poor 46 points has been well explained but the EFL Cup needs a comment. We entered late due to the Europa, beat a mixed Arsenal team, then repeated that at home against mixed CP and Sunderland teams whilst playing a mixed team ourselves.

We were then in the semi finals and had two backs to the wall displays with two very good 1-0 wins. It wasn't until the semi finals that anyone took the cup seriously so with most sides playing weak sides the bulk of the rounds were throwaways. Getting to the semi finals was no great achievement, beating Liverpool was. We did however seem to have the Indian sign over Liverpool. These cups are no longer the ultra competitive competitions they used to be until the late rounds. Credit for the last three games but the early rounds were poor.

So if getting through the cups is such a doddle it begs the question why our great club isn't appearing in cup finals far more often. If no one takes it seriously and its not ultra competitive we should be getting to cup finals far more often should we not?

The acid test next year will be if we finish on 50 points but finish tenth.

Will that be "we're going backwards FFS we're going backwards" or not?

In those two short sentences you've probably summed up the new managers problem. Can he get us to play more attractive football, very probably. Can he get us to finish higher than 8th...? I'd take a rain check on that one.

I understand that you really don't like the guy, but to try and eek every last bit of credit away from him is really quite churlish. We got to the final having not conceded a goal, we played really well in the final, probably better than United. Everybody wants to crucify him because of our league performances, but let's be clear, he deserves a lot of credit for the cup run. Have a little bit of class eh.

I have a feeling Puel will resign without waiting for an end of term report. He looks like a broken man. All this talk of interesting possibilities, yet I think he just wants to say 'get me outta here'. I think the pressure of the job, the intensity of the media, all in a foreign country is too much for him. I can see him walking and hoping something comes up back in France. His stock is still high there. Au Revior, Claude, a bientot.

You forgot to mention our shameful fans booing him and calling for the axe.

Get a grip. Since when does booing an inept manager become new to saints fans or even football fans in general?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

When they do it on match day one at half time when the score is 0-0.

He is not an inept manager, he is a good manager, but not a great one. With good finishing and not conceding with the first shot on target for over half the games we would have at least 15 more points.

Nothing this season has warranted booing. It is pointless and unproductive. Helps the team in no way whatsoever.

And don't get me started on the vitriol aimed at players like Redmond.

I'm proud to be a Saint but really disappointed in our fans this season.

So if getting through the cups is such a doddle it begs the question why our great club isn't appearing in cup finals far more often. If no one takes it seriously and its not ultra competitive we should be getting to cup finals far more often should we not?

How about the FA Cup this season? Did we take that seriously?

When they do it on match day one at half time when the score is 0-0.

He is not an inept manager, he is a good manager, but not a great one. With good finishing and not conceding with the first shot on target for over half the games we would have at least 15 more points.

Nothing this season has warranted booing. It is pointless and unproductive. Helps the team in no way whatsoever.

And don't get me started on the vitriol aimed at players like Redmond.

I'm proud to be a Saint but really disappointed in our fans this season.

Redmond is a decent player but terribly inconsistent and a total gob ****e. Constantly moaning at teammates. Now that is unproductive. Booed off the pitch (team) but looked happy as Larry laughing with Butland at FT. Needs to sort his attitude out.

You won't find many agreeing with you about Puel being a good manager. No plan B and his substitutions are a joke.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

He's like the Japanese soldier who thought it was still WWII. Sad!

What's sad is people calling Lallana , Lovren & Koeman disloyal ****s, whilst calling for the managers head after one season. A season where we finished in a position that every single one of the said people would have taken at the start. Also they've been complaining about previous mangers cup runs,so he ticked that box as well.

How about the FA Cup this season? Did we take that seriously?

I really think the FA Cup this season should be excluded from discussion. We had such fixture congestion anyway, and we played Arsenal three days after beating Liverpool to reach the EFL final.

I don't normally agree with writing off a cup competition, but the circumstances this year were markedly different.

What's sad is people calling Lallana , Lovren & Koeman disloyal ****s, whilst calling for the managers head after one season. A season where we finished in a position that every single one of the said people would have taken at the start. Also they've been complaining about previous mangers cup runs,so he ticked that box as well.

Absolutely this - I expect unanimous well wishing of departing players and managers on here for eternity. We can't be happy to dispose and then cry about being disposed of. Loyalty is a two way street.

Puel has had a good set of tools in my opinion but unfortunately couldn't get them to work in the way the fans wanted them to. I also believe this is what the board think as well. In other words he has under achieved with the resources he has available, I.e potential and style of play. This will ultimately cost him his job

Lol the Liverpool semi final was 2 back to the wall 1-0 victories. Amazing the media and pundits all felt we should have won the first leg by 4 or more goals. As usual it was poor finishing that didnt put the tie to bed in the first leg. As for downplaying an away victory at Arsenal!!! Your dislike of Puel is getting in the way of the facts.

I dont go to many games but from what I see on the TV the football is pretty good, just the lack of enough bodies in the box to finish the chances made.

Puel has had a good set of tools in my opinion but unfortunately couldn't get them to work in the way the fans wanted them to. I also believe this is what the board think as well. In other words he has under achieved with the resources he has available, I.e potential and style of play. This will ultimately cost him his job

My worry is the club think exactly that when it should be pretty obvious to everyone that poor transfer windows this season has left the squad much weakened compared to previous seasons.

The warning signs were there when Les made the absurd claim we had the best midfield options in the PL and we gambled on Jrod instead of bringing in a quality striker last summer.

Absolutely this - I expect unanimous well wishing of departing players and managers on here for eternity. We can't be happy to dispose and then cry about being disposed of. Loyalty is a two way street.

Agree with your general sentiment but isn't loyalty relevant for people who have earned it? For example, Adkins earned a bit of loyalty after getting us two successive promotions, Lundekvam earned a move to Celtic/Newcastle after he stuck with us during relegation (I think).

Not sure where the 'loyalty' to Puel comes in, it's not like he has done anything to warrant it - and I don't mean that in a cold-hearted, dismissive way even though it sounds it! On the flip side you could argue that players/managers that have done well here in part owe it to the club for taking a chance on them, giving them a good environment etc. I'm not sure how well that argument stands up, but equally I don't think it's as black and white as "if we complain about players leaving, we shouldn't call for players to be sold".

One of the major problems I have with Puel is setting the team up not to lose against teams where we have playing staff who are of a superior quality to those in the opposition team. Hapoel was bad enough with what was at stake, but Watford at home in the first game of the season when you should be trying to get early points & wins on the board was ridiculous!

Coming off the back of one of the club's best ever seasons and the strong performances which ended it, was a chance to steady a boat which was gently rocking after a turbulent summer against one of the 'weaker' teams in our league. Starting with a weakened team and then playing negatively set the tone for a limp performance against a team reduced to ten men for the last twenty minutes of the game, which was then repeated against a very poor Sunderland two weeks later. Giving us two points from two of our most 'winnable' home games of the season. He should have used those 2 games to pick up maximum points using the same style of play as the players were used to, not use them to experiment with his 'Style' resulting in games that had to be 'saved' to even get a point.

As for constantly telling the fans he was happy with the squad despite all of us knowing it was deficient in key areas in not one but two transfer windows, says it all about his naivety!

Although most of us expect Puel will be going, let's consider : what would be needed if he were to stay on and be successful?

For me:

* VVD to stay

* be prepared to change formation mid game

* substitutions to change the game, not just 'fresh pair of legs'

* learn better English to get his ideas across

* coaching for press conferences - no more 'interesting possiblities'

* a commitment to the Southampton Way of playing - try to win games, not avoid losing

Yes, this list is getting ridiculous. Can a leopard change his spots?

Maybe he will tell Reed this was his first year plan, but now he plans to be an exhuberant attacking manager like Antonio Conte :rolleyes:

You are blinded by your mancrush on Puel if you can't see what a huge step back we have taken this season. You can be all jolly about finishing 8th but next season could go really bad if we continue "as is".

What do you call 'really bad' and where do you think any other manager is going to get us next season - where will we finish....??? Really bad from currently 8th is where....????