Other Premier League Transfers - Deadline Day

Lighthouse

The expectations at Everton are going to be huge this year, lots of pressure for the players and coaching staff to handle. They're a deluded bunch at the best of times.

they have an arrogant enough manager to deal with it IMO

Rooney done deal to Everton. 2 year contract.

Giroud expected to follow, with Sigurdsson

Ageing players with no resale value, to add to a squad that already has players of similar ages like Williams, Barry, Baines, Lennon, Jagielka. Granted they've picked up a couple of younger players, but Koeman is really building them for instant success with no longevity. He must sense that Barca job just around the corner. "Wow" signings at first but they certainly wouldn't be Saints-type signings.

Ageing players with no resale value, to add to a squad that already has players of similar ages like Williams, Barry, Baines, Lennon, Jagielka. Granted they've picked up a couple of younger players, but Koeman is really building them for instant success with no longevity. He must sense that Barca job just around the corner. "Wow" signings at first but they certainly wouldn't be Saints-type signings.

who cares if they have a re-sale value?

Les Reed.

To be fair, they've done a mixture of both. Young players with big potential and experienced winners to supplement it. Will be very interesting seeing how they get on.

I care. I'm happy with our policy, and with one or two signings who are first team ready expect us to be pushing Everton to be top of our league.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Better to buy players who you know will improve your team, than settle for the lottery of Juanmi/ Gardos type signings.

Some on here think our policy is flawless and revolutionary... Its not

Our squad is getting progressively weaker and our bank balance isnt getting significantly bigger either.

Issue with our policy is its not always successful - weve made a few quid selling our assets - Mane, Clyne, Morgan, Wanyama, Lallana, Lovren, Pelle and bagged a few quid but the £60-70m profit on these you’ve then lost £50-60m on duds like Juanmi, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Clasie, Cuco, Gazzaniga, Pied, Hojberg and Boufal.

A mix of buying potential and buying proven quality is what I've always encouraged... Everton are leading the way and will leave us behind if we just watch and sneer

Our squad is getting progressively weaker and our bank balance isnt getting significantly bigger either.

Issue with our policy is its not always successful - weve made a few quid selling our assets - Mane, Clyne, Morgan, Wanyama, Lallana, Lovren, Pelle and bagged a few quid but the £60-70m profit on these you’ve then lost £50-60m on duds like Juanmi, Ramirez, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Forren, Gardos, Clasie, Cuco, Gazzaniga, Pied, Hojberg and Boufal.

A mix of buying potential and buying proven quality is what I've always encouraged... Everton are leading the way and will leave us behind if we just watch and sneer

Odd you've written them off already. Not a patient man Glasgow?

(I think we all know the answer to that :mcinnes:)

You are right. If it's about investments rather than winning football matches, maybe Saints should switch to buying up property, letting it and selling for profit in a few years time.

I want to see players who improve the first team if we make signings. Not fringe squad players who might play in the early league cup rounds if they're lucky. No point in signing squad fillers, our squad is already numbering a fair few bang average players who add little.

It's all about balance -a mix of young and established signings.

Everton have also signed Ramirez, Pickford, Klassan, Keane, Onyekuru who are young. Whether they turn to be any good is another matter; but aiming for balance is undoubtedly the right idea.

One reason that Davis gets continually picked is that he brings to veteran presence to an otherwise raw and inexperienced side.

Edited by shurlock

Many of the players mentioned were bought for about £4m or so and Barry was on a free I think, getting anything for them will be a bonus because they've served their purpose now. It's not like they've invested heavily in them. Even Rooney is on a free so when his contract is up in two years there's no loss on any initial fee. Every window they've cleared out a lot of deadwood, I'm sure some of those players mentioned there are on borrowed time.

Far too early to describe Boufal or Hojberg as a dud after one season imo, especially boufal who had a massively disrupted season. Or pied who looks a capable 2nd choice in between an unlucky injury. Cuco did a job for us for a very low fee too.

Equally everytime you buy anyone it could turn out to be a dud. Think we've done reasonably well on the whole in terms of ratio. Clasie had pedigree but hasn't worked out for him.

Also ignoring all the duds everton have signed in the past and assuming all their new buys will be unqualified successes.

Klaassen, Sigurdsson, Rooney, Giroud... just how slow an attack are they trying to build? And if they don't pull off Giroud who will score goals? Lukaku, Barkley and Coleman were their highest scorers, they can't possibly be relying on Rooney can they? They look very weak at full back too with Coleman injured and Baines past it. Pickford looked good in a team that conceded a lot of shots, keepers have looked better than what they really are in such circumstances. Same goes for Keane who looked good in a defensive team, so did Gibson for Boro until they sacked Karanka and opened up, then he looked out of his depth. Even Ajax fans don't rate Klaassen that highly, saying his technical ability is a bit mediocre, sure he runs around a lot and scored quite a few goals from midfield in the dutch league, but then Tadic scored 16 league goals the season before he joined us. Sandro massively overperformed last season scoring 14 goals with an expected goals total of 7, although at that price it's a good signing he's not likely to give them what Lukaku did. And the less said about Rooney the better.

So even though they have already spent more than they are getting for Lukaku, their squad is still quite flawed. It's looking more and more like another Bale and Suárez like quantity over quality situation.

Klaassen, Sigurdsson, Rooney, Giroud... just how slow an attack are they trying to build? And if they don't pull off Giroud who will score goals? Lukaku, Barkley and Coleman were their highest scorers, they can't possibly be relying on Rooney can they? They look very weak at full back too with Coleman injured and Baines past it. Pickford looked good in a team that conceded a lot of shots, keepers have looked better than what they really are in such circumstances. Same goes for Keane who looked good in a defensive team, so did Gibson for Boro until they sacked Karanka and opened up, then he looked out of his depth. Even Ajax fans don't rate Klaassen that highly, saying his technical ability is a bit mediocre, sure he runs around a lot and scored quite a few goals from midfield in the dutch league, but then Tadic scored 16 league goals the season before he joined us. Sandro massively overperformed last season scoring 14 goals with an expected goals total of 7, although at that price it's a good signing he's not likely to give them what Lukaku did. And the less said about Rooney the better.

So even though they have already spent more than they are getting for Lukaku, their squad is still quite flawed. It's looking more and more like another Bale and Suárez like quantity over quality situation.

But it's Everton so what does an average Saints fan actually care anyway.

They have money, they have a new sponsor who's going to give them more than Chang beer so let them spend it however they want. We shall see when the football actually starts, probably in about a fortnight come Wednesday for them.

@ChelseaFC: It's official! Welcome to Chelsea, @ToniRuediger! #WelcomeRudi

qp68a3Ir?format=jpg&name=600x314

(I assume that's them officially out of the VvD race then? With that said, they do still have £75m burning a hole in their pocket)

What VvD race would that be then, Les said we aren't selling so it's a non starter really. Whether VvD is content to stay or not is something completely different.

Just logged in to see if Everton have bought anyone today. I mean this is the Everton luv in stream after all.

BBC football page had first 5 stories about Rooney earlier. Such a marvellous story never tire of reading. 'Once a blue always a blue' unless money's involved.

Good summer for Everton fans with plenty of what appear to be good signings, taking the best players from other teams.

Pickford was the only one I am gutted we didn't go in for, the rest are a meh. They could turn out good but no different to us signing Boufal or Hojberg last season.

BBC football page had first 5 stories about Rooney earlier. Such a marvellous story never tire of reading. 'Once a blue always a blue' unless money's involved.

'I've always said I love this club and, as long as I'm wanted here, I'll play here. It's as simple as that. I can't see one reason why I should want to move. I've everything I want. My family are just 30 minutes away, I'm settled and I honestly can't see me going anywhere else unless I'm told otherwise by the manager.' (2009)

'I've always said I love this club and, as long as I'm wanted here, I'll play here. It's as simple as that. I can't see one reason why I should want to move. I've everything I want. My family are just 30 minutes away, I'm settled and I honestly can't see me going anywhere else unless I'm told otherwise by the manager.' (2009)

What's your point? United have obviously said he isn't really wanted there anymore (ie he has been "told otherwise" by the manager). It's not like he agitated for a move. And, lastly, eight years ago.

What's your point? United have obviously said he isn't really wanted there anymore (ie he has been "told otherwise" by the manager). It's not like he agitated for a move. And, lastly, eight years ago.

The point was how hollow a platitude "Once a Blue, always a Blue" really is.

Listening to talkSport (I know, I know), Jim White is going on and on about Everton (fair enough given their activity) and has just said that before Mushy turned up, they had £80m of debt and that he has personally pumped in £150m. I am sure that it has been asked/answered somewhere, but I thought that the regs were in place to stop rich owners coming in and pumping lots of money in, or is this not really the case with EFC?

Listening to talkSport (I know, I know), Jim White is going on and on about Everton (fair enough given their activity) and has just said that before Mushy turned up, they had £80m of debt and that he has personally pumped in £150m. I am sure that it has been asked/answered somewhere, but I thought that the regs were in place to stop rich owners coming in and pumping lots of money in, or is this not really the case with EFC?

They can do what they want. FFP relates to losses based on football based activity and impacts wages / transfer spending. It's more of an accounting practice (of which there are many ways to get around) than something which prevents a club spending lots of money. I understand that if they sold Barkley and Lukaku this summer for a combined £120m then that shows as £120m income in the books for this year but any player they sign has their transfer fee amortized over the course of their contract i.e. if the player cost £25m and signs a 5 year deal then he 'costs' £5m a year in the books. So from an accounting practice they have lots of money to play with this summer.

The point was how hollow a platitude "Once a Blue, always a Blue" really is.

Seriously?

Why didn't you just use the fact that he signed for United in 2004 as your starting point, rather than some quotes he made five years into his United career? Bizarre.

Footballers can love more than one club pretty easily, and in Rooney's case, very easily with no hypocrisy at all. He has a fine career at United to look back on, but he is an Evertonian at heart. Fair play to him.

Seriously?

Why didn't you just use the fact that he signed for United in 2004 as your starting point, rather than some quotes he made five years into his United career? Bizarre.

Footballers can love more than one club pretty easily, and in Rooney's case, very easily with no hypocrisy at all. He has a fine career at United to look back on, but he is an Evertonian at heart. Fair play to him.

What about Rooney kissing the United crest when he used to play Everton, to wind the Evertonians up?

That's the one that makes me laugh.

Seriously?

Why should I use 2004 as a starting point? Bizarre.

Footballers generally spout (empty) platitudes so you can choose whatever year you want if that makes you happy.

Swansea want £50M for Sigurdsson, and rejected a £40M offer from Leicester, according to the BBC. Also, he's settled and not pushing for a move.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40550188

The market has gone absolutely mad! Quality players starts at 40 million.. WTF. VVD:s 50 million valuation at the start of the window will be 100 million in the end of it.

Looks like Swansea are playing the hand with Sigurdsson that we are playing with Van Dijk.

Name a price, but if anyone suggests they will pay it, then put the price up and see if they pay that.

Sigurdsson is good, but I would drop out at £30M. Still, it's not my money anyway.

They'll not get 50 million and I'd doubt that even the 40 million from Leicester was a straight up , cash jobby.