Sam Gallagher

spyinthesky

A lot of people on here seem desperate for him not to make it for some reason. Physically made for the Premier League so I look forward to seeing him get his chance, like everyone else. Then people can write him off if he isn’t good enough.

Looking forward to him getting a go, and being given a chance to get his feet under the table..........if Mr 50p 2 Left Feet on Backwards can get a game up front more often than not. Sam is going to have to work damn hard to match that level of performance week in week out and get dropped along the way.

I have no problem with Sam getting a crack of the whip. He is faster the Austin and more likely to find the net than Long I think he would press better in Ralph's system. I'm not suggesting he is world beater but given our striker options (unless something changes in the Jan window) he can't be any worse than Austin and Long, Gabbi is clearly off and Ings has to be careful managed due to his injuries. The ideal would be to get in a new striking option in during the window (though I think better wingbacks is the priority this Jan) but failing that we aren't going to lose much by giving him a chance over Austin and Long.

We have a BIG problem with strikers

Ings and Gallagher have ongoing injury problems, Austin is a busted flush, Long (apart from a short purple patch) has been consistently awful, Gabbi is off and Obefami has potential but not up to Premiership standard yet.

All adds to the worry

We have a BIG problem with strikers

Ings and Gallagher have ongoing injury problems, Austin is a busted flush, Long (apart from a short purple patch) has been consistently awful, Gabbi is off and Obefami has potential but not up to Premiership standard yet.

All adds to the worry

Obefami actualy looks to have settled into the first team very quickly. I think Ralph has a high regard for him now. Once back he could figure quite prominently.

With Long being useless, Gabbi off, Ings and Obefemi injured, I would've thought Gallagher would get an opportunity (unless we're signing someone)? Is he in the named squad, or count as a young player still?

He's in the named squad but been injured. Reported to be back in training.

He's in the named squad but been injured. Reported to be back in training.

I'd like to see him given a go. Hopefully he can take his opportunity if one arises. If we sell him, I hope it's because we have someone else on the way in - cant rely on just Ings and Obafemi (already both been injured a couple of times), Austin (pretty poor fitness record) and Long (awful goalscoring record)!

Wouldn't surprise me if Villa have a look at him too if Abraham leaves.

According to Adam Leitch on the Total Saints Pod, he reckoned that Ralph was quite keen to have a look at him now he's back from injury. So unless that info is completely duff, I'd be surprised if he's allowed to go.

FWIW I think gallagher has all the attributes to potentially be an asset to Ralph and the club , very few 6 4 inch strikers have the pace of long , ability in the air and can play wide or in the middle , additionally he is good with his back to goal .

he would fit ralphs playing style perfectly .....his performance at brighton earlier in the season he turned the game for me , so I have a feeling if he stays fit he will be used and I personally feel he may be an asset lets see i hope so.

Also .....the clubs rates Alfie Jones highly and i wouldnt be surprised to see him getting a couple of starts , harrison reed played rwb for the loan club and got rave reviews in that position so he may be a option with a back 5 .

Out of interest how many writing him off have watched him regularly on loan? He's been under some poor managers and awful teams, and often shoved out wide where he still learned to do a job. He was excellent in a dire Blackburn side.

Give him a game home to Derby in the cup if he's fit and see where's he is now.

Seen him a couple of times. Lots of potential there. You could also always look on the forums of the other fans: Blackburn and Brum. They seemed to quite like him too but would probably have a good idea of how he might develop. I think we should play him.

“We’re going to get linked with a lot of players,” he said. “I was the manager at Southampton when Sam was a young lad coming through so I was aware of him then and I’ve tracked his career, as I have done with a lot of players. He’s a talented footballer.

“We’re looking to bring another striker in, we’ve talked about that, so let’s see what materialises. I’m not saying we’ve made any enquiries at all.”

Source: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-citys-transfer-frustrations-revealed-2400154

Seen him a couple of times. Lots of potential there. You could also always look on the forums of the other fans: Blackburn and Brum. They seemed to quite like him too but would probably have a good idea of how he might develop. I think we should play him.

Take it from me if you asked a fan from either club they would have him back in a jiffy.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought he gave us much more aerial presence last night, needs someone to work off his headers though.

Is only going to get better if given the minutes to get match fit & confident.

Depends if he gets those minutes but as you say, he gives us something different.

Sam looked the same as he's always looked: quite skilful for a big man but lacking the pace a Premier League striker needs nowadays. One or two people seem to think he wasn't trying hard enough last night but he was. It's just his lack of pace which makes it look as though he isn't busting a gut to get to the ball but he is. He just gets outpaced by defenders. Admittedly, he's not as slow as Vestergaard, who must be the slowest player currently in the Premier League, but he's still not quick enough at this level. I like Sam a lot and always thought he looked great playing in our Academy teams, especially when his goals helped us win the U23 Premier League Cup in 2015 but he's not the Premier League striker we need.

One quality I'm sure Ralph will be looking for in any new players he brings in is pace because he must be only too aware by now of how many slow players we have accumulated in our squad.

Thought he gave us much more aerial presence last night, needs someone to work off his headers though.
That was my view I think he won more headers last night than Austin, Long and Gabbi have managed all season. Seems to me that given that we are now going long with ball, to get it forward a lot quicker, than we have under previous managers. Someone who can win the ball in the air and bring others into play with flick ons would be a useful asset.

I wouldn't be starting him ahead of a fit Ings but I'd certainly be tempted to have him on the bench ahead of Austin and Long ( assuming we don't sign some sort of super striker in jan) as a plan b

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sam looked the same as he's always looked: quite skilful for a big man but lacking the pace a Premier League striker needs nowadays. One or two people seem to think he wasn't trying hard enough last night but he was. It's just his lack of pace which makes it look as though he isn't busting a gut to get to the ball but he is. He just gets outpaced by defenders. Admittedly, he's not as slow as Vestergaard, who must be the slowest player currently in the Premier League, but he's still not quick enough at this level. I like Sam a lot and always thought he looked great playing in our Academy teams, especially when his goals helped us win the U23 Premier League Cup in 2015 but he's not the Premier League striker we need.

One quality I'm sure Ralph will be looking for in any new players he brings in is pace because he must be only too aware by now of how many slow players we have accumulated in our squad.

Mmm of the top of my head Glen Murray, Olivier Giroud, and Lambert and Pelle all PL strikers without an abundance of pace who managed to do alright I'm sure there are others.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thought he grew into the game after an understandably shakey start. Showed some great touches and a fine run to win that free kick. For anyone saying he lacks pace after coming back from the injury he had... Well you've probably never played footy or been injured before. He'll get fit over the next few weeks. Clearly has talent. Just needs luck avoiding injuries for a bit.

I don't think many on here can even kick a ball.

He was likely pretty nervous to start with and coming back from an injury is hard. Even when they tell you that it has healed, the mental aspect is very difficult. You worry about it happening again, you are just back and don't want to face time away from the game. It sucks to be injured and worry you will never be right. Then you get the odd phantom pain or twinge and that plays with your mind a bit. All the while you are trying to concentrate ion the game, anticipate and get in position.

He'll need quite a few more minutes on the pitch before he'll be able to just settle in and play. Give the lad a chance!

I don't think many on here can even kick a ball.

He was likely pretty nervous to start with and coming back from an injury is hard. Even when they tell you that it has healed, the mental aspect is very difficult. You worry about it happening again, you are just back and don't want to face time away from the game. It sucks to be injured and worry you will never be right. Then you get the odd phantom pain or twinge and that plays with your mind a bit. All the while you are trying to concentrate ion the game, anticipate and get in position.

He'll need quite a few more minutes on the pitch before he'll be able to just settle in and play. Give the lad a chance![/QUOTE]

On here? That`s a big ask

He may not be especially quick, but what he does have is a physical presence and strength to out-muscle defenders. He's tenacious too - makes driving runs and invites defenders to tackle him which will always draw fouls in dangerous positions.

Even having only just come back from injury and being a long way from match fit, I would play him ahead of Austin right now.

He doesn't lack pace. Showed a clean pair of heels to Derby defenders last night. Perhaps he looks slow due to his height but once he gets going he is actually very quick

Looked confident last night, much more mature than some of our other youngsters, comes with the experience e of his loan moves. Won headers, was physically imposing. Of course he didn't score a hattrick so I guess he will be classed as a failure by some on here, but clearly Ralph sees some merit in him. By the way shout out for Slattery, he looks like he has something about him, not like the rabbits in the headlights of Johnson and Valery.

I thought his movement was poor last night, not pace wise but where and when he was making his runs. He seemed to be playing far too narrow through the middle and never dragged people out of position to create space for others. I get that people want him to do well because he’s ‘one of our own’ and all that, but I’m not convinced he’s the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked average at best. Pretty of effort and his heart's clearly in the right place and love his work rate but ultimately, not good enough.

Manager seems to disagree with you -

The good thing is we have players like Sam Galllagher who has come back from his injury and I think he had a good game last night [against Derby]. He showed he can be an option for us in front.

Thought he grew into the game after an understandably shakey start. Showed some great touches and a fine run to win that free kick. For anyone saying he lacks pace after coming back from the injury he had... Well you've probably never played footy or been injured before. He'll get fit over the next few weeks. Clearly has talent. Just needs luck avoiding injuries for a bit.

He told me the first 10 minutes were a real struggle because he has had literally no game time this season but he felt better and fitter as the game unfolded. I tell you one thing about him he will always give you a 100% if given the chance.

I am biased but I have seen enough of Sam the last two seasons (albeit it in struggling Championship sides) to feel he can offer us something.

He told me the first 10 minutes were a real struggle because he has had literally no game time this season but he felt better and fitter as the game unfolded. I tell you one thing about him he will always give you a 100% if given the chance.

I am biased but I have seen enough of Sam the last two seasons (albeit it in struggling Championship sides) to feel he can offer us something.

Said the same last night, FF. He's had zero game action.