Non-Saints Games

whelk

Unlucky, but funny. They'll never get this close again, they'll never have a season this good again. Wouldn’t be surprised if they struggle to pick themselves up next season after this, whatever they say it will feel like an absolute gut wrench.

97 points, +57 gd, and one defeat all season, but nothing to show for it. Couldn't have happened to a better bunch.

Everything ran for Liverpool this season. The sheer amount of luck they got with last minute goals, countless teams throwing it away with stupid mistakes. Referees constantly falling for their cheating and diving, with VAR not coming in until next season. Arguably it all came together even better than Leicester had it in their title winning season.

It all came together perfectly for them, and they ended up with a quite frankly incredible 97 points. The third best league performance in the history of English Football. They were incredibly lucky to get that.

It is absolutely hilarious that it was all for nothing. That despite getting that third best league performance, they came up against the second best performance in the history of English Football. By eleven millimetres.

Everything ran for Liverpool this season. The sheer amount of luck they got with last minute goals, countless teams throwing it away with stupid mistakes. Referees constantly falling for their cheating and diving, with VAR not coming in until next season. Arguably it all came together even better than Leicester had it in their title winning season.

It all came together perfectly for them, and they ended up with a quite frankly incredible 97 points. The third best league performance in the history of English Football. They were incredibly lucky to get that.

It is absolutely hilarious that it was all for nothing. That despite getting that third best league performance, they came up against the second best performance in the history of English Football. By eleven millimetres.

Mané’s second goal was offside yesterday too.

Hilarious? The word is inadequate. I haven’t stopped laughing yet.

Mané’s second goal was offside yesterday too.

Hilarious? The word is inadequate. I haven’t stopped laughing yet.

VAR will be interesting. I wonder if the ref bias to big clubs will still be prevalent in terms of how it is used, but if it is used fairly, I could imagine teams like liverpool will lose 6-9 points. Saints could gain 3-6 points. It will be nice to be able to play Watford on a level playing field too...

VAR will be interesting. I wonder if the ref bias to big clubs will still be prevalent in terms of how it is used, but if it is used fairly, I could imagine teams like liverpool will lose 6-9 points. Saints could gain 3-6 points. It will be nice to be able to play Watford on a level playing field too...

love your summing up...........its still down to different opinions as to how VAR works,fair or otherwise.Again its not the same persons opinion every game you play is it?.

I think they will be a bit like Leicester. They won’t drop to 12th but psychologically and in terms of their luck in games and with injuries, it’s hard to see them keeping that kind of form up. That’s even assuming they keep their key players.

Troy Townsend, whoever he may be.

Ahh, right, ta.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/13/troy-townsend-attacks-brighton-chris-hughton-sacking-now-worse/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7023169/Anti-racism-campaigner-Townsend-slams-Brighton-sacking-Hughton.html

For me, this sacking clearly has nothing to do with skin colour / racism. As an anti-racism campaigner why hasn't Mr Townsend waited to see who is appointed. Who knows perhaps the Seagulls are about to unveil a black / female / both manager. Who knows - either way, this was clearly a footballing decision and nothing else.

Edited by Micky

and it begins

brighton accused of Racism over houghton.

All very predictable

Ridiculous and all very disappointing. Haven't we as a country got past the stage of highlighting somebody's ethnicity instead of their capabilities? Every time that some idiot tries to make a differentiation based on skin colour or physical appearance they are perpetuating outdated stereotypes. Such people are the worst type of racist.

Hughton was a decent player and a decent manager, not the greatest but always gave his best. He won't be the first manager to lose his job after this past season.

Ahh, right, ta.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/05/13/troy-townsend-attacks-brighton-chris-hughton-sacking-now-worse/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7023169/Anti-racism-campaigner-Townsend-slams-Brighton-sacking-Hughton.html

For me, this sacking clearly has nothing to do with skin colour / racism. As an anti-racism campaigner why hasn't Mr Townsend waited to see who is appointed. Who knows perhaps the Seagulls are about to unveil a black / female / both manager. Who knows - either way, this was clearly a footballing decision and nothing else.

And John Barnes now weighing in. Seems that some think that you just have to have a regulation dose of BAME (whatever that means) people in football management. Nothing to do with ability or results or whatever you've just got to have the right number (or more)...

What the f*ck is racist about sacking a manager who's won 4 games in all competitions since the end of december and almost got his side relegated? It really doesn't help anyone making claims like that, all it does is demeans the actual efforts to get rid of racism from the game.

I think the firing of Hughes was racist against the Welsh

That would be xenophobic, not racist. Racism is discrimination due to ethnicity, xenophobia due to nationality.

Houghton sets his teams up in a way that makes them hard to break down but also pretty dull to watch. That, combined with a string of poor results, is the reason he was sacked, not the colour of his skin.

I just wish Burnley would sack Dyche, his brand of football is even worse to watch.

3 wins in 23, so he should keep his job because he is black? I'd understand if he'd got them top half and got sacked but we ditched Hughes, Pelligrino and Puel after dreadful runs of form, are we discriminating against the Welsh, Argentinian and French?

Darren Lewis

@MirrorDarren

Respect for Hughton isn't praising his class and dignity. Respect is giving him the chance to build on the work he has done taking an average squad into the top division. When players like Danny Rose say there is no point taking your badges, here's an example of the reasons why.

Brighton's squad is utter garbage. He made Glenn Murray seem decent.

I'd actually like to see what Hughton could do with a bit of backing at PL level.

That said, I don't think there is any conscious or unconscious bias in any way related to this decision.

Darren Lewis

@MirrorDarren

Respect for Hughton isn't praising his class and dignity. Respect is giving him the chance to build on the work he has done taking an average squad into the top division. When players like Danny Rose say there is no point taking your badges, here's an example of the reasons why.

Did Rose really say there’s no point in taking his badges? Good grief, what a plank.

What the f*ck is racist about sacking a manager who's won 4 games in all competitions since the end of december and almost got his side relegated? It really doesn't help anyone making claims like that, all it does is demeans the actual efforts to get rid of racism from the game.
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

John Barnes: "Until we change our perception of a BAME person's capabilities, in all walks of life, we will be given less opportunities and less time to succeed."

Who on earth is he talking about when he says "we"?

3 wins in 23, so he should keep his job because he is black? I'd understand if he'd got them top half and got sacked but we ditched Hughes, Pelligrino and Puel after dreadful runs of form, are we discriminating against the Welsh, Argentinian and French?

Presumably that means 4 wins in 24? I would look up there record but I can’t be arsed.

It doesn’t sound so bad when you put it like that.

I do think there is an issue with a lack of opportunities for BAME people (is that the right term?), but the problem is when people complain about this sacking and say it's to do with his skin colour, they undermine the actual issues because everyone dismisses it (rightly) as crying wolf.

Hughton only seems to want his teams to play a certain way - he set them up not to lose at home to US for goodness sake - and there comes a point when fans want more than just surviving. After two seasons it's hard to see how Brighton are going to be anything other than a bottom 6 side with Hughton there. Of course if a new manager gets relegated then it will be billed as a mistake, but I don't blame them for rolling the dice on improving.

I'd actually like to see what Hughton could do with a bit of backing at PL level.

That said, I don't think there is any conscious or unconscious bias in any way related to this decision.

I heard this morning he had spent a considerable amount of money

Don't see what anyone's issue is regarding firing Hughton - he was the same at Brighton as he's been in all his other jobs: a relatively competent, defensive manager who retreats into a narrow 10-0-0 at the first sign of trouble.

Eventually clubs (and their supporters) begin to wonder if there's more to football than simply grim, joyless survival.

He'll get another gig and it'll go the same way.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The problem I see is, that if owners are going to be accused of racism (for it is they who sack the manager) then they might feel that it is just not worth the **** thrown at them, so not employ BAME in the first place. Darren Moore was intereviewed by the pious and sycophantic Jim White, and rather caught White off guard. Said the opportunities for BAME candidates were there, and not an issue. Also said that when fired, he was the same person who was employed ie skin colour not the issue.

They spent £65m last summer! That's a decent wedge and more than quite a few teams including us.

it certainly upset someone...

Classless Manchester City players should be ashamed of sick Liverpool chant

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/classless-manchester-city-players-should-be-ashamed-of-sick-liverpool-chant/ar-AABmgDF?ocid=spartandhp

Dippers are saying they're singing about Hilsborough and matey who got a kicking by the Roma fans ! :mcinnes:

Edited by simo

"Until we get rid of racial bias, sexism, homophobia in society, it will exist in all walks of society.

Thata an amazing quote. Seriously though why are people interviewing Barnes about it? If I were Houghton I'd be insulted that people have to continually refer to my colour and interview other black people about me who may have absolutely nothing in common with each other other than the colour of their skin. It's pathetic.

"Until we get rid of racial bias, sexism, homophobia in society, it will exist in all walks of society.

Thata an amazing quote. Seriously though why are people interviewing Barnes about it? If I were Houghton I'd be insulted that people have to continually refer to my colour and interview other black people about me who may have absolutely nothing in common with each other other than the colour of their skin. It's pathetic.

Kick it out have now apologised to Brighton over comments made by Townsend!