Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 749

Thread: The "Deadline Day" Thread

  1. #1

    Default The "Deadline Day" Thread

    Might be a quiet one...highly likely that we won't get rid of Carrillo or Lemina and possibly Hoedt until after tomorrow, when all the prices will probably halve when the UK window closes.

    Ins
    Hoping for a CB of some sort, better than we have
    Ideally a DM but very unlikely

    Outs
    Austin
    Elyounoussi
    Hoedt
    Carrillo
    Stephens
    Forster/McCarthy
    Lemina
    Last edited by Saint Garrett; 07-08-2019 at 02:31 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Likewise, a CB and a DM (Wanyama would be great...) inbound and at least 3/4 of Austin/Hoedt/Carrillo/Stephens/Forster/McCarthy/Lemina/Elyounoussi out.

    I imagine we'll see Lemina leave tomorrow and nobody come in, with loan deals for Carrillo/Elyounoussi coming later in the month.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,587

    Default

    With the window in Europe closing later no doubt we may shift a couple abroad,whilst being too late for us to make any acquisitions.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Default

    May as well close this thread now

  5. Default

    Could take us another 2 or 3 transfer windows to fully recover from the Les Reed era

    Just hope Ralph can squeeze the max out of a fairly average looking squad.

    Disappointing but expected window for us. Would need a huge 24 hours to salvage it now.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    Am I the only one who rates Lemina and would prefer he stayed?

    Has he been frozen out because he wants a move or does he want a move because he's been frozen out?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Could take us another 2 or 3 transfer windows to fully recover from the Les Reed era

    Just hope Ralph can squeeze the max out of a fairly average looking squad.

    Disappointing but expected window for us. Would need a huge 24 hours to salvage it now.
    Is it an expected window. Everyone defended the club for not making any additions in Jan on the basis it would be a big summer. Now it's not been a big summer there are yet more excuses with a sympathetic fanbase. Make no mistake, Ralph.expected us to sign a CB(as per the fans forum). If we don't get one I expect he will be pretty annoyed to say the least.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatt View Post
    Am I the only one who rates Lemina and would prefer he stayed?

    Has he been frozen out because he wants a move or does he want a move because he's been frozen out?
    i think his own quotes show he planned to be here for 2 years and get a bigger move. Assume its how we got him in the first place and the sort of agreement we've seen discussed before. He feels he deserves his big move after 2 years but sadly other clubs need to be on board too. The best result is for him to realise hes not done enough and use the extra time to improve his chances of a move and us get somethign out of him (a la Morgan)

    agree he has potential and would like him to stay and come good, not sure how likely it is!

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Could take us another 2 or 3 transfer windows to fully recover from the Les Reed era

    Just hope Ralph can squeeze the max out of a fairly average looking squad.

    Disappointing but expected window for us. Would need a huge 24 hours to salvage it now.
    Whereabouts are we on the momentum curve?

  10. #10

    Default

    If I'm remembering correctly Ings' name only came up in the final hours of the transfer window last year, so can we have more of the same please? I believe the same happened with Mane.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly Ings' name only came up in the final hours of the transfer window last year, so can we have more of the same please? I believe the same happened with Mane.
    good point. Hopefully this is the case.

    otherwise, terrible support to Ralph

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly Ings' name only came up in the final hours of the transfer window last year, so can we have more of the same please? I believe the same happened with Mane.
    No, that rumour was going around for several weeks. I remember laughing when Liverpool wanted £20m for a cripple and thinking they must be mad, nobody is that stupid and desperate.

    Cheers Les.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    good point. Hopefully this is the case.

    otherwise, terrible support to Ralph
    Will you promise to remind us about this on a daily basis? Much appreciated

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    No, that rumour was going around for several weeks. I remember laughing when Liverpool wanted £20m for a cripple and thinking they must be mad, nobody is that stupid and desperate.

    Cheers Les.
    The point being that we didnt really think we were going to sign him (or anyone else?) until it suddenly became concrete on the last day?

  15. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Will you promise to remind us about this on a daily basis? Much appreciated
    You have to give it to them. The usual suspects (AKA forum experts) have been working hard in pre-season, working out routines (old and new), experimenting with repetition and will be in tip top form come Saturday afternoon.

  16. #16

    Default

    No sightings of Austin, Carrillo or Lemina in the media day video...doesnít necessarily mean those who were there (Mo etc) arenít going, moreso that nothing is imminent.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CHELSEA
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly Ings' name only came up in the final hours of the transfer window last year, so can we have more of the same please? I believe the same happened with Mane.
    I’m sure there were rumours that we had had a much lower bid rejected for Ings, early in the window, and then seemed to pay through the nose.......

  18. Default

    talkSport say we turned down Boca's offer for Carillo. They criticised us for being stupid and not accepting. I imagine it was far too low and that maybe we can make more on loan deals.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,126

    Default

    what time does the window shut anyway?
    2300?

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    talkSport say we turned down Boca's offer for Carillo. They criticised us for being stupid and not accepting. I imagine it was far too low and that maybe we can make more on loan deals.
    It seems crazy if true that we have now knocked back bids for Lemina and Carillo because we are demanding too much money, in Leminas case it was more than we paid for him by all accounts . We are not in a position of strength, we need and have to sell otherwise we are left stumping up £100K plus a week for players that don't want to be here and we don't want, this means we aren't in a position to call the shots. Surely if we can get 50% of what we paid plus get them off the wage bill then it makes sense It seems madness to turn bids down and keep paying players who will contribute nothing.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andover/Isleworth
    Posts
    8,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    what time does the window shut anyway?
    2300?
    5pm

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    It seems crazy if true that we have now knocked back bids for Lemina and Carillo because we are demanding too much money, in Leminas case it was more than we paid for him by all accounts . We are not in a position of strength, we need and have to sell otherwise we are left stumping up £100K plus a week for players that don't want to be here and we don't want, this means we aren't in a position to call the shots. Surely if we can get 50% of what we paid plus get them off the wage bill then it makes sense It seems madness to turn bids down and keep paying players who will contribute nothing.
    Well it just means supporters are desperate to sell and the board don’t appear that bothered.
    If deal is not right for us, then prepared to back the board on that.

  23. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly Ings' name only came up in the final hours of the transfer window last year, so can we have more of the same please? I believe the same happened with Mane.
    Nixon was consistent for weeks saying we wanted Ings.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Appy View Post
    5pm
    ta.

  25. #25

    Default

    Saints to local/favoured media tomorrow am:

    Tweet something like: "A quiet day is expected at St Mary's where the focus is on reducing the wage bill and squad size. If some signifcant sales were to occur Ralph Hasenhuttl may look to bolster his defence."

    ----------------------

    We won't sign anyone. Austin will stay and sit out his last year.

    Use the rest of the European window to try and sell Carrillo, Lemina, Hoedt and Elyounoussi and if not loan them out.

    Then the key objective has to be to extend the contracts of Hojbjerg and Redmond or we will have to sell them in January or next summer when they would just have one year left.

    It will be good to just get on with the season, with a good Manager and better attacking options than last year, but overall a poor window as we haven't resolved our biggest weakness. I would put us in the 13th to 16th range. Extremely difficult to finish higher with the quality of our central defenders and lack of good options in defensive midfield.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Another depressing deadline day looms. If RH is still at the club this time next year id be very surprised. He cant be too happy with this window

  27. #27

    Default

    This thread is a cruel joke

    I pray for a good CM and a CB then I will be super duper happy.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    My prediction! A few links where it looks like we may sign someone only for someone like Mr peach or Sam Wallace to dash our hopes with a familiar looking twitter update.

  29. #29

    Default

    I'm looking forward to all the "we nearly did this, we were unlucky because that didn't come through, we're in a good place to sign him in January" comments this time tomorrow.

    The strange thing this time is there aren't even any rumours. There isn't even anyone for me to hope we'd sign.

    There is a lot of competition but I actually think this could be the most disappointing window of the lot.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    28,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    I'm looking forward to all the "we nearly did this, we were unlucky because that didn't come through, we're in a good place to sign him in January" this time tomorrow.



    The strange thing this time is there aren't even any rumours. There isn't even anyone for me to hope we'd sign.

    There is a lot of competition but I actually think this could be the most disappointing window of the lot.
    pathetic backing to what is a brilliant manager and over two windows, the best we can do is a (good) player from the championship and a young hopeful from belgium
    Pathetic
    Last edited by Batman; 07-08-2019 at 06:43 PM.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    I'm looking forward to all the "we nearly did this, we were unlucky because that didn't come through, we're in a good place to sign him in January" comments this time tomorrow.

    The strange thing this time is there aren't even any rumours. There isn't even anyone for me to hope we'd sign.

    There is a lot of competition but I actually think this could be the most disappointing window of the lot.
    Nah the January with caceres was the worst. This would be a close second though, particularly because there were quite a few noises about having a refresh and a clean sweep.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    18,986
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    At least we wonít get gloating and propaganda from Uncle Les this year about how we didnít panic and stuck to the Southampton Way. Small mercies.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    At least we wonít get gloating and propaganda from Uncle Les this year about how we didnít panic.
    Or utter dribbling cack from Ralph.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    I honestly don’t get why anyone was expecting anything different to what’s happened so far.

    We knew the wage bill was massive and getting rid of any of the players on it is next to impossible, when we’re paying them triple what they’re worth. The savviest businessmen in the world couldn’t offload these players, it’s basically impossible.

    Austin, Carrillo, Forster and a few other are here until their contracts expire, or we do a Clasie and pay off a hefty chunk of their wages. It’ll be the same, Wilson, Les, Cortese, Lowe or otherwise.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    You have to give it to them. The usual suspects (AKA forum experts) have been working hard in pre-season, working out routines (old and new), experimenting with repetition and will be in tip top form come Saturday afternoon.
    Transfer windows are food and drink to them. They can practice their best lines to make sure
    that they are word perfect for the season start.

    Anyone else notice how Heisenberg had reappeared on the forum since Cabbage Face has been banned
    ..... spooky or what ???

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I honestly donít get why anyone was expecting anything different to whatís happened so far.

    We knew the wage bill was massive and getting rid of any of the players on it is next to impossible, when weíre paying them triple what theyíre worth. The savviest businessmen in the world couldnít offload these players, itís basically impossible.

    Austin, Carrillo, Forster and a few other are here until their contracts expire, or we do a Clasie and pay off a hefty chunk of their wages. Itíll be the same, Wilson, Les, Cortese, Lowe or otherwise.
    If that's the case then I would have preferred not signing djenepro and getting a cb instead.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    I'm looking forward to all the "we nearly did this, we were unlucky because that didn't come through, we're in a good place to sign him in January" comments this time tomorrow.

    The strange thing this time is there aren't even any rumours. There isn't even anyone for me to hope we'd sign.

    There is a lot of competition but I actually think this could be the most disappointing window of the lot.
    Dont worry as it won’t be the end of the world, maybe you need to get out more and stop worrying too much over a football team.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Dont worry as it wonít be the end of the world, maybe you need to get out more and stop worrying too much over a football team.
    I don't think calling a transfer window disappointing means anyone has to get out more. Every time we have a bit of a crap window you get the usual suspects coming on to mock those who think it's a bit disappointing.

  39. #39

    Default

    Deadline day. A day of deals,drama,despair and dildoes !

  40. Default

    As every transfer window comes and goes a little bit more of my love for the game dies. Not just because more often than not it ends in disappointment for us Saints fans, but it just emphasises the ludicrous amount of money in the game and as long as your club has enough of it you are almost guaranteed a relatively good season.

    Players turning up for training in their Bentleys, new signings holding up their new clubs shirt and coming out with the same old dribble, headphones, clutch bags and attutude. The beautiful game has turned very ugly.
    Last edited by Saint Billy; 07-08-2019 at 07:55 PM.

  41. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    As every transfer window comes and goes a little bit more of my love for the game dies. Not just because more often than not it ends in disappointment for us Saints fans, but it just emphasises the ludicrous amount of money in the game and as long as your club has enough of it you are almost guaranteed a relatively good season.

    Players turning up for training in their Bentleys, new signings holding up their new clubs shirt and coming out with the same old dribble, headphones, clutch badges and attutude. The beautiful game has turned very ugly.
    Agreed. The huge gulf in money and pure greed of many players has taken all the romance out of football. It's definitely sobering when you see Everton and West Ham spending 40M+, the big-boys spending 80M+ and huge wages. Saints don't stand a hope in hell of winning anything. Even if we somehow get through to the Semi or Final of either cup, the likelihood is we get a top 6 side and they play their best players.

    Saints nowadays is about trying to stay up and maybe beating a big team on an off day for them. The wins vs Arsenal and Spurs were the highlight of last season, for me anyway.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Agreed. The huge gulf in money and pure greed of many players has taken all the romance out of football. It's definitely sobering when you see Everton and West Ham spending 40M+, the big-boys spending 80M+ and huge wages. Saints don't stand a hope in hell of winning anything. Even if we somehow get through to the Semi or Final of either cup, the likelihood is we get a top 6 side and they play their best players.

    Saints nowadays is about trying to stay up and maybe beating a big team on an off day for them. The wins vs Arsenal and Spurs were the highlight of last season, for me anyway.
    So like the 90's then?

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    At least we won’t get gloating and propaganda from Uncle Les this year about how we didn’t panic and stuck to the Southampton Way. Small mercies.
    I miss the "we're relaxed and confident" and "going about our business in private" soundbites.

    I am also unsure whether we still have a deep roster and are aiming for single digits.

  44. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    So like the 90's then?
    In the 90s, smaller teams stood a much better chance (especially the league cup).

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    In the 90s, smaller teams stood a much better chance
    Nonsense.

    Leicester won the league recently. Spurs were in a champions league final and Watford, Cardiff, Wigan, Hull, Palace and Villa have been in Fa cup final last few years.

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    Dont worry as it wonít be the end of the world, maybe you need to get out more and stop worrying too much over a football team.
    Says the man who spends his days hanging round the gates of our training ground. Utter weirdo.

  47. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nonsense.

    Leicester won the league recently.

    Spurs were in a champions league final and Watford, Cardiff, Wigan, Hull, Palace and Villa have been in Fa cup final last few years.
    And all of them lost...

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    If that's the case then I would have preferred not signing djenepro and getting a cb instead.
    No doubt but the £14m we spent on him wouldn’t even buy Matt Targett in this window. We need a £30m player to improve our back line not another Hoedt or Vestegaard.

  49. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    And all of them lost...
    Wigan didnít

  50. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    And all of them lost...
    Wigan didn't.

    Same in 90s really. When United and Arsenal dominated

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •