The Sun: Yoshida on his way out

Saint Martini

THE SUN: Maya Yoshida is looking for a way out of Southampton in an effort to boost his World Cup chances with Japan. He is in talks with Yokohama Marinos.

Source:

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

So lets say this is true and Yoshida leaves, where does that leave us? Only having Hooiveld as back-upleaves me terrified so I suppose we'd have to go out and get a new CB. Any candidates?

Can't blame him if true, personally I think it's a shame as he is not as bad as folks make out, his problem right now, aside from Jose gelling so well with Dejan, is the lack of games which is making him rusty. If it wasn't for the confederations cup last summer he would have probably been paired up handsomely with Dejan. As last season he was the intelligent defender when paired with Jose, which had him play out of his natural position, and Jos.

Keep Yoshi as fourth choice, get rid of Hooiveld, and bring in someone better than Fonte. (In an ideal world!)

Ideal world yes. Buyers market, no. I suspect Yoshi, as Japanese starting CB will be a lot easier to shift than Jos who has had a poor season this season. I don't think either are good enough but if we need to make space in the squad by getting rid of one of them, then Yoshi is more likely to go in my view.

THE SUN: Maya Yoshida is looking for a way out of Southampton in an effort to boost his World Cup chances with Japan. He is in talks with Yokohama Marinos.

Source:

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

So lets say this is true and Yoshida leaves, where does that leave us? Only having Hooiveld as back-upleaves me terrified so I suppose we'd have to go out and get a new CB. Any candidates?

Victor is a very able deputy at CB apparently, played there quite a few times for Celtic, not saying we'd do that but it might have just been part of the plan, if only he wasn't injured.

Jos and Yoshi could have a great career in the championship. I expect a lot of clubs would be in for them.

But those clubs wouldn´t be prepared to meet the wages they got with us. At least Yoshida probably wants to play more now with WC coming up, Hooiveld is not in that position so we will probably be stuck with him until his contract runs out.

Looks like we are bringing in another CB then which after Lovren and Fonte's injuries and Jos's disasters, isn't a surprise. Amazed that Yoshida is behind Jos, a Championship Defender at best, but MP knows more about centre halves than I do, having been a very good one himself. Need to go for someone to give Fonte and Lovren real competition, as someone stated VW will probably be the 4th option when fit with Jos saved for the League Cup and lower division sides in the FA Cup.

Source: http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

So lets say this is true and Yoshida leaves, where does that leave us?

Only having Hooiveld as back-upleaves me terrified so I suppose we'd have to go out and get a new CB. Any candidates?

FIRSTLY : if true, it would solve a number of obvious problems. I had the feeling that (although needed a CB at the time) Yoshida was also bought with the idea of being a " buddy " for Tadanari Lee ?

....who currently only gets an " occasional " game as an overage player with the U21's.

SECOND: I think we did try to get another CB with the ill-fated purchase of Forran, but fortunately he was found out before we needed to play him.

Finding another CB with any quality might be a problem, but hopefully the " transfer committee " have been doing their homework properly.

As is the very necessary need of ANOTHER top class keeper, given that according to memory, there are several other Prem.keepers on the injured list at present -as well as Boruc.

Yoshida was very good for us last season, and also had a good summer with Japan which has obviously had a knock-on effect. He saved us a few vital points last season, but if MP doesn't think he's good enough for the squad, there's offers on the table and he wants to leave then it's a no-brainer really. We just have to ensure that we bring in a good enough replacement (or two) in this window, if not the next.

The Japanese are in close season now though I think, they've all the time in the world to sort out something for Yoshida because it won't be the same transfer window.

Apparently Yokohama are just about to commence their preseason training.

Another weird signing, who along with Lee, was purchased purely for impact in our "asian market".

After Jaidi's retirement, it was Mayuka and Wanyama for the African public.

Whoever it is that's the " attraction " from South America...I'm not impressed.... (unless we mean Pochettino ?)

However, one of my contacts (who is Croatian) is absolutely ecstatic over Lovren's signing........ (aren't we all ?)

Him and Hooiveld both need to go, far from good enough.

He is quite a bit better than Jos but then that is perhaps not the best compliment to receive!

Clearly we can't let him go until we have better to come in. God forbid Jos is our only backup centre half! This would certainly show a very low aspiration on our part and demoralise our best players....

Edited by captainchris

Yoshida did well last season. But he doesn't seem like the sort of player that can come in from the cold and perform straight away. I think he needs to have a run of games to play to his level. It's not that he makes mistakes but his general concentration isn't at a level where it should be when he is in and out of the team and that is an issue. Whilst that is entirely understandable he does play in a very important part of the pitch for us and as long as he remains a backup it'll be hard for him and us.

Edited by Lallana's Left Peg

Another weird signing, who along with Lee, was purchased purely for impact in our "asian market".

Never mind the 30+ appearances last season eh? I despair at the lack of loyalty to our players from many on here. Unless they play superbly in every game they're in for a kicking. Well on here at least.

I was told that MP uses Yoshida as back up for Lovren and Jos as back up for Jose, something to do with which side of the 2 they prefer to play. Don't know if its true and can't be bothered to check thr team sheets, but I know some coaches do put a lot of faith in one centre half better on the left and one on the right, rather than both the same.

Jos is going nowhere. He has carved out a nice little niche in being *the* guy at the club who sorts new players out with phone contracts and posh motors.

He's an invaluable member of the project.

Personally I'm happy for him to continue this good work in a purely ambassadorial role a la Radhi

Never mind the 30+ appearances last season eh? I despair at the lack of loyalty to our players from many on here. Unless they play superbly in every game they're in for a kicking. Well on here at least.

Fear not...this isn't the real world. If it were the usual naysayers would have been kicked to death a long time ago.;)

I was told that MP uses Yoshida as back up for Lovren and Jos as back up for Jose, something to do with which side of the 2 they prefer to play. Don't know if its true and can't be bothered to check thr team sheets, but I know some coaches do put a lot of faith in one centre half better on the left and one on the right, rather than both the same.

Both Yoshida and Lovren can play either side but Fonte will only play right side with Hooiveld left side only. The main difference, Fonte will use his left foot if required but Hooiveld will use his left only, no matter the circumstances. That is why if one of the two is playing Lovren or Yoshida have to play in the vacant slot.

Yoshida I think has the potential to be a Premiership player for a relegation-fighting team like a Fulham or a Palace. If not, I think he'd be one of the best player in the league if he were happy to drop down to the Championship.

He's just not top-10 Premiership ability, but certainly a better player than I think a lot of people give him credit for. His marking Christian Benteke in both the Villa games last season was an impressive textbook example of how, as a centre-back, to deal with a striker who's bigger than you. Clever player who's certainly got a career in England whether he stays or goes.

I've never rated him at all. To be fair he has had some decent games and is far from terrible, but overall I would say that his positional play is average, his distribution is terrible, he doesn't get tight, doesn't win enough in the air and he is not terribly quick. I've watched japan quite a lot and he is their weak link IMO. I am more than happy to have him as a squad player, how many sides have top class centre backs sitting on the bench? He can and will do a job, but if he left it wouldn't worry me so long as we turn to the scout who suggested Lovren not forren.

It beggars belief that some people on here last season rated him and shouted me down for saying he was crap. Must have been watching a different game to me. But hey that's the beauty of football, with different opinions. Infairness maybe I didn't give him enough credit for what he does well which is, um, wait a minute eh, erm..fook all.

Panic buy last season IMO although it must have been very difficult attracting quality overseas and committed players for a potential relegation dog fight. Yoshida has awful positional play, can't head, can't pass, too weak. I just hope we have been working on a suitable replacement this year...ideally Lovren mark 2. Now that would be good!

It beggars belief that some people on here last season rated him and shouted me down for saying he was crap. Must have been watching a different game to me. But hey that's the beauty of football, with different opinions. Infairness maybe I didn't give him enough credit for what he does well which is, um, wait a minute eh, erm..fook all.

Panic buy last season IMO although it must have been very difficult attracting quality overseas and committed players for a potential relegation dog fight. Yoshida has awful positional play, can't head, can't pass, too weak. I just hope we have been working on a suitable replacement this year...ideally Lovren mark 2. Now that would be good!

Spot on there. At least Hooiveld can actually win the ball in the air, Yoshida never looks comfortable on the pitch in any situation

Spot on there. At least Hooiveld can actually win the ball in the air, Yoshida never looks comfortable on the pitch in any situation

Yoshida is light years better than Jos.. a good quality squad player who needs a run of games; which he won't get here hence the need to move on. Saying he's crap tells me you did not watch him last season.

He is crap and I watched him lots last season. Nowhere near the level o a decent centre half. Him and Lovren are light years apart in every aspect of defending. I would put Fonte much closer to Lovren than Yoshida. He is light years away from being a decent premiership centre half. His performance away particularly at West Ham last season was shambolic. Get rid

He is crap and I watched him lots last season. Nowhere near the level o a decent centre half. Him and Lovren are light years apart in every aspect of defending. I would put Fonte much closer to Lovren than Yoshida. He is light years away from being a decent premiership centre half. His performance away particularly at West Ham last season was shambolic. Get rid

He was poor in that game, but to be fair he was playing at left back.

You're entitled to your opinion. He was more than adequate last season when partnered with Fonte. He may not be as good as Lovren, but then only 9 CBs in Europe are apparently, and none of them play in the PL. Unfotunately some people judged Yoshida on the games when he first appeared and especially when he played at RB or LB where is admittedly crap. Play him on the left side of a CB partnership with Fonte and he is good, and a perfectly good backup for Lovren. Jos on the other hand seems to have lost it and we should be trying to bring in a replacement. The other advantage Yoshida has over Jos is that he can play left or right, whereas Jos struggles to play left and cannot play right under any circumstances. Yoshida is perfect backup for our two first choice CBs.